- Text Size +

 

 

Brian strolled outside through the backdoor, ahead of Justin. The twat was feeling guilty for fucking in Mikey’s house.

Michael and Ben were on the swinging bench, tangled in each other, drinking from tall glasses. A glance at the table proved that they had waited for them to eat. That made Brian feel a little guilty, but he couldn’t regret the hot sex he had with Justin.

“There you are,” Michael exclaimed. “We were beginning to wonder if you’d ever resurface.”

“After being around each other for months without being allowed to touch, imagine the pent-up need,” Ben said compassionately.

Justin finally emerged from the house. His cheeks were red, but his eyes were still sparkling with desire and arousal.

Brian snorted, taking a seat at the table, as the others joined him.

“Is that what you think, Ben?”

“Don’t tell me,” Michael cried out.

“Tell them what,” Justin mumbled.

“They think we’ve abstained since your return,” Brian explained. “It proves how little they know me—us, actually. You jumped me in Chicago.”

“I did not!” Justin retorted hotly. “You got that look in your eyes, then…we moved at the same time.”

“You’re delusional.”

“Don’t start bickering,” Michael begged. “I can’t believe it. Why didn’t I see it?”

“Because we’ve obviously been careful about not showing others our relationship,” Brian replied. “We kept it behind closed doors.” He picked a chicken leg, then scowled at his plate. He hated being incapacitated to do trivial things, like eating or pissing or even undressing himself.

“Let me help.” Justin pulled Brian's plate closer, peeling the meat off the bone then cutting it in tiny pieces so Brian wouldn’t have to use the knife. When he was done, he added a helping of fried vegetables and some rice, then offered Brian his plate back.

“Thanks,” Brian said, stabbing a piece of meat with his fork.

“So you think now that the city’s attorney was found guilty, Kinnetik will get back on its feet?” Ben asked.

Brian appreciated the change of subject. He could tell Michael was about to comment on how sweet of Justin to help him.

“We’re also close to finishing the ad that will show everyone Kinnetik is still strong,” Justin answered.

“I’m hoping that a combination of the consequences of what had happened and the ad will make everything better. We’re in a deep hole.”

Michael held a bottle of wine to Brian, lifting a brow.

“No,” Justin said quickly. “You’ll take the pain meds when we get home.”

Brian shrugged to Michael. “Just pour some juice.” He pointed to the bottle of orange juice. “Thanks for reminding me about the pain meds. It’s like you reminded me of my backache.”

“We have some painkillers if you want,” Ben offered.

“No, thanks. He took two Advil on the way here,” Justin declined. “He has Motrin at home.”

“If Brian is in pain, a pill to relieve him won’t—”

Justin shook his head, interrupting Ben’s argument.

“Trust me. You’ll never win an argument with Justin when it comes to drugs,” Brian told Ben. “He always loved to lecture me about the safety of the drugs I took.” He shot Justin a smile, both of them clearly remembering the night they had met.

As the meal progressed, Ben engaged Brian in a conversation about the book he was writing. When they looked at the other end of the table, Brian couldn’t help but laugh.

Justin was doodling on a napkin, while Michael prattled about something or another.

“Ready to head home?” Brian asked.

Justin glanced up, almost surprised. He always lost focus when he got lost in his art. “Uh, sure.”

“What about dessert?” Michael asked, ready to get up and bring some sweet.

“Don’t bother. We’re fine,” Brian said. “Right?”

Justin nodded, pushing the napkin to Michael. “It’s not my best work, but I’m starting to love this idea.”

“I’ll have to write down what we just talked so I don’t forget it. Can I keep this?”

“Sure.” Justin got up, smiling brightly at Brian.

Curiously, Brian walked to Michael, leaning to see what Justin had drawn. Michael covered the napkin. “No peeking!”

“Ideas for Rage?” Brian guessed.

“Michael likes my suggestion. It actually makes sense for the politicians to use Rage’s power.”

“Lucky he has JT to save him.” Brian rolled his eyes.

Justin looped an arm around Brian's waist. “I think you need one happy pill.”

“Can’t argue with you.”

After saying goodbye to their friends, Justin drove them to Britin.

“I’m seriously thinking to move in here. Do you think Mother Taylor can help me sell the loft?”

“Uh, that’s nice!” Justin’s voice hitched. “I’ll help you move and be the designated driver until you can drive again.”

“And you should get your hand checked regularly. You barely stayed two weeks with the cast.”

“The doc said it was fine. They x-rayed it first. I doubt the doc would have taken the cast off if it wasn’t healed.”

“Fair point.” Brian nodded. He stared out the window as they approached the mansion. “Can’t wait to call this place home and come here every evening after work to you.”

“What?” Justin glanced at him.

Brian frowned, then laughed. “Right. We’ll both come home from work at the same time. We can carpool.”

“Wait. Back up.” Justin parked in front of the house. “You want me…here?”

“You already live here! I hope you weren’t just planning to find a new place!”

“Well…Fuck. I don’t know why I didn’t even think of…” Justin grinned widely. “Home.” He wet his lips, meeting Brian’s eyes.

“Our home.”

“We’re both going to hell, but I don’t give a shit. Race you upstairs!”

Brian stared after him in amusement. He walked slowly, not ready to break his neck, too.

Justin was already naked on top of the bed.

#

On Monday, Justin dropped Brian at the office, before going to buy coffees.

By the time he arrived in Brian's office it was close to ten, but Justin had stopped by a pastry shop to grab some food too.

Justin was surprised to find Peter and Kyle in Brian’s office. They appeared to be arguing. Ted was on the couch holding a folder, staring at the show.

Justin was all for slinking out the door, away from the danger zone, but Brian noticed him.

“At last,” Brian groaned, extending his good hand, wordlessly demanding his coffee.

“Sorry, there was a line,” Justin mumbled. He placed the cup on the desk because it was still hot. He also placed one of the pastry bags next to it. “You have to eat something. You took the meds without eating.”

Brian rolled his eyes, then focused somewhere behind Justin. “Are you two about done? We have a shitload of work to do.”

Kyle bristled. “Excuse me, boss, but this is a huge mistake! You’re rehiring this rat!” He pointed to Peter.

Brian stood up so fast, Justin took two steps back to be out of Rage’s way. Brian slammed his fist to the desk. “If you don’t go do your job in the next five minutes, I’m going to fire your ass! I’m about done with your bullshit, Kyle!”

“Brian, you need to calm down. You heard what the doctor said about getting upset.” Justin placed a tentative hand on Brian’s elbow.

“Come on, Peter. If you sign on the dotted line, you’re hired once again,” Ted spoke, advancing to the desk.

Kyle, still breathing fire, shot daggers at Peter while he signed, but kept his eyes on Justin. Justin braced himself for more snide remarks, that would probably leave Kyle jobless in the next five minutes.

“And I suggest you keep your mouth shut,” Ted told Kyle. “As we all know Mr. Kinney is not feeling well. He’s been in a fucking accident that killed his husband. A little compassion won’t kill you.”

Brian slumped back in his chair, eyeing Ted amused. Justin rubbed a hand over Brian's shoulder.

“Let me know if you need me,” he whispered.

“I want a meeting after lunch with the Art Department to know where we stand with the ad. Ted, let Cynthia know I’ll only accept the important phone calls.”

Justin led the way out of Brian’s office. Ted stopped him at the first corner.

Kyle stopped as well, raising an eyebrow.

“Go ahead,” Ted muttered impatiently. “You too, Peter. And you heard Brian. If he gives you shit, let us know.”

Once they were alone, Justin leaned against the wall, closing his eyes.

“How are you holding up?” Ted checked.

“I haven’t slept much. I’m so worried, Ted.”

“What do you mean? He looks fine.”

“Yeah, he looks fine. He acts like the Brian you know, but it’s the little things that scare me. I caught him yesterday smoking in the study room while drinking from a bottle of whiskey. When I tried reminding him that alcohol didn’t mix with his meds, Brian slammed the door in my face. Several hours later, he found me on the couch drawing. He snuggled into me, apologizing.”

Ted blinked. “Did you try talking to him about what happened?”

“I wouldn’t know where to start. I guess it’s difficult to lose a friend…and in such a terrible way.”

“Wait, where the hell were you? Brian doesn’t have a study in his loft.”

Justin wanted to punch himself. “We moved into the house he bought for us. You probably know he kept it.”

“As his accountant, I know more than I should. As his friend…” He shook his head. “Take care of him.”

“That’s the plan. See you later.”

.

.

.

Inside the Art Department, Justin had a sense of deja-vu when he spotted Kyle in his chair. He placed his own coffee on the coaster, then plugged in his laptop.

“Move it. I’m not in the mood,” Justin muttered.

“So all you wanted all along was Kinney himself. We got it all wrong,” Kyle said slowly.

Justin balled his hands. “Do you have any sense of decency?”

“Just deny it. I saw the way you touched him. And I’ve seen the lingering looks, even when his husband was in the same room.”

“What I do in my private time is none of your goddamn business! And if I were you, I’d be careful about saying anything regarding Evan. Brian lost his husband.” Even the mere words sounded alien out of Justin's mouth, but he had to say it to make Kyle shut up.

 

As much as Brian pretended not to care, he suffered. He might feel better in a week or so, but Evan had helped him and he had been there for him. They had to remember that – Evan had saved Brian from prison.