- Text Size +

Chapter 9


Justin woke up and reached for Brian.  He found him sitting up in bed staring in the dark. He turned on the bed lamp and put his arm around Brian’s waist, laying his head on his lap.  Brian’s arm came down on Justin’s shoulder. They stayed this way in their own thought for about 10 minutes when Justin finally said, “I wish I could take your place.”


Brian ran his hand through Justin’s hair.  “That would just hurt me more.”


“But I’m a better patient than you are.”


“I won’t argue that with you.  Just the thought of someone taking a tube and feeding it up my dick and then putting a camera attached to a little knife or even better a drill.  He is going to force his way through and then insert a stent to keep it open. What if something goes wrong? What if they cut something that can’t be fixed.”


“Darling, whatever happens we are all here for you and you can afford the best of the best if we need someone else.”


Brian continued to run his fingers through Justin’s soft hair. “How did I get so lucky? Last night watching you and Brinn….” he took a deep breath. “You are both too beautiful for words although I would like to see Brinn back as a beautiful blond.”


Justin smiled, ‘I hope Mary will do that today.  The girls will be busy with kids while the men are busy with the house.”


“Come up here, Sunshine.”  Justin sat up and leaned against Brian as his mouth came down on Justin’s upturned face.  “We may as well get dressed and head to town. By the time we get there they will probably be ready for me. Do you think Brinn will be alright today?”


“I think she can feel our tension but she will be fine.  Her favorite people in the world will be here and we should be back shortly after lunch if not earlier.”  They got up and dressed. Brian went to get a drink but Justin stopped him. “Baby, I’m sorry but you aren’t allowed to drink anything.”


“Just drive me to town.” He said with a sharp tone.  He reached for Justin’s hand and gently said, “You’re right, you are a better patient than I am.”



Molly woke to Tyler kissing her neck. “Good morning, Taylor.”  


She yawned and stretched, smiling at him.  “It’s a little early, isn’t it?”


“I thought you might want to go sit with your brother.”


“Mr. Harris,  have I told you lately how much I love you.  I am fairly sure I have time to show you once more before we leave,” she rolled to her back taking him with her.  


The morning went as planned.  Justin sat by Brian’s bed until they rolled him away and then he went to the waiting room.  He had told everyone to stay at the vineyard to work on the house so he sat there alone. Sat wasn’t actually accurate.  He walked back and forth before sitting again and then was back up. He stood looking down the hall when he felt a hand on his shoulder.


“I thought you might like some company.”  Justin stepped into Molly and held on to her.  “It was actually your new brother in law that suggested we come here.”


“No one wants to sit alone like this.”  Tyler patted Justin’s shoulder. “Do we know how long this will take?”


“He probably is just in now.  They said it shouldn’t take more than an hour.”  Tyler went off to find them decent coffee while Molly settled Justin. “Did you really want coffee or did he just do that so he didn’t have to hang here the whole time?”  Justin gave a weak smile to his sister.


“Trust me, we need coffee.  It was a very late night.” The look on Molly’s face told Justin everything he needed to know.  


“I know we haven’t spent much time together the last several years but the last year we have spent together...I have never seen you look like this.  You are glowing. God, you aren’t pregnant are you?”


“No, big brother.  I just have the look you do every time you are near Brian.  The difference is you like Brian when you aren’t in bed. I shouldn’t say that.  Tyler is such a good guy. I mean we are in bed naked after…”


“I don’t need details from my baby sister!”


“Let’s just say most men would have chosen other activities  but he knew you would need us. I texted Shelby and she said she could watch Paul.  I need your opinion.”


“As long as it’s not about sex, although I do know a lot about sex with a man.”


Molly swatted him lightly and kissed his cheek. “It’s about Mom.  I want to invite her out here so she can meet Tyler. He thought maybe his mom could come out at the same time.  What do you think her reaction will be?”


“Molly, don’t judge her by her first reaction.  Judge her by her reaction after she’s been here for a couple days.  She is going to give you the mom look that says are you out of your fuckin’ mind?  But when she has a little time to see you together, she is going to see what I saw this morning.”


“Thanks, Justin.  Now we just have to book the flights for both of them.  I’m hoping they both can come on Friday and stay thru Monday.”


“Who’s staying through Monday? Did you figure out where we are staying?”  Tyler walked up with three cups of coffee. “Justin, I realized I don’t know how you drink your coffee exactly.  I know you use cream and sugar so I brought both for you. Taylor, I hope I got yours right.” He handed her a cup and she took a sip..  


“It’s perfect.  It is just how I make it.  How did you know?”


“I have seen you drink coffee a few times now.  I guess being a cop I notice details.”


Justin looked at the clock.  “They should be over half done now.”  Molly squeezed his hand and for a few minutes they sat in silence.  “Oh, Molly, you still have the credit card I gave you. Put Mom’s ticket, hell, put both moms’ tickets on it, first class.  It will be good to have Mom here.”


“I can buy my own mom her ticket.”  Tyler bristled a little bit.


“I am sure you can, Tyler.  Please don’t take offense. Brian and I have just been so fortunate, we don’t even think about the cost of an airline ticket.  Where does your mom live?”


“She’s near Raleigh, North Carolina.  She is a great lady. She worked hard raising me after my dad was killed.  He was a cop and got shot in the line of duty.”

“Oh, Tyler, I didn’t know that.” Molly kissed her husband.  “I guess there is a lot I don’t know. I guess all I do know is that it’s just you and your mom.”  


“We don’t need details right now but she worked really hard to give me the best she could.”


“Well, from what I have seen, she did an amazing job,” Justin said.  He took his coffee and sipped. They all sat back and were quiet for a few moments.



Gus got on one of the vineyard carts and started toward the house.  His cousins, Dan, and Mel walked to the build. This was the first time any of them were going to see the inside.  Workers had continued to move forward while Gus was laid up. Everyone greeted him and asked about his health. It was obvious the men respected him, even though he was younger than all of them.


Mel walked up to her son and took his arm, “This house is wonderful, Gus.  It is really amazing. And the decor is stunning.”


“That is Molly’s contribution.  She has a real eye for detail which is why we are starting our own business.”


“I always knew you were going to be a success but now that I see it, I am so proud of you.”


“Thanks, Mom. I love it.”


Once everyone had looked around, Gus started giving out little jobs to each of them.  His crew had finished installing the staircase and it looked fabulous. There was a plumber there installing toilets and a crew staining the deck.  Gus walked over and stood behind Melanie who was looking over the valley below. “Mama, I plan to propose to Shelby. What do you think of her?”


“Well, Gus, I think you are really young but you have always had an old soul.  I like her. She seems to be a good person and it is obvious she loves you and the whole family.  I know you aren’t going to like this but I think you should have her sign a prenup.” Gus stiffened.  “I knew that would be your reaction. A prenup could just say she gets 50% of what you have.”


“I don’t have anything, Mom.  Everything are in my dads’ names.”


“Oh, Gus, you really don’t have a clue.  You are worth probably over $100 M.”


He was silent for a moment.  “Well, if something happens she deserves half of what I have and I think I could live off of $50 M. I could care less about money.”


Mel kissed him.  “I know that. That’s what makes you so special. Well, I better finish my job and you should sit.  I know you are doing fine but you are still a little pale.”


“I do have a little headache.  I think the sun is getting to me. I will talk to you later.”  He walked toward the stairs and Tony appeared from nowhere.


“I’m not going to let you walk up those stairs alone and I can tell you want to go up there.”  Tony put his hand on Gus’ back supporting him as they walked up the very grand staircase. “This place is stunning, Gus.  Brian and I are talking about doing a bed and breakfast or boutique hotel out here and when the time comes I want you to design and build it.  I imagine something that looks like this but on a much larger scale.”


“Just let me know.  Molly and I are starting our business soon and I have Dan’s house to start as soon as this one is done. I already have a crew, well Molly has a crew, working on our storefront and her apartment above it.”


“It is hard to remember you are so young.  So, this house, do you plan to fill it soon?” Tony smiled at him.  “I know you are young but I can see how in love you are and I can see how much she loves you.”


“Well, I am in no rush to fill my home but she will be by my side from the first day.”


“I am glad to hear that.  I like her. Now, come this way.  John thought you would need to lay down for a while so he made a bed for you over here.  It may not be perfect but we tried it out and….” he started laughing. “No, we didn’t try it out.  We have been working.”


In the corner was a stack of old painting tarps with a clean blanket on top of them.  “Thanks, Tony, and thank John anyway you choose fitting. You two are one of the great examples I have of a good relationship.  You always seem so happy together.”


“Trust me, Gus, it hasn’t been smooth sailing or easy but it is so worth it.”


“What’s worth it?” John came up behind him.


“Putting up with you everyday.” Tony turned into John’s arms and they kissed.


“Ya, it is really rough looking at your face and body everyday.”  John laughed. “Gus, I see Tony showed you your nest. This room is finished.  We will come talk to you if we have any questions. Rest for awhile.” He kissed Gus’ cheek.  


“John, have you heard anything from Dad?”


“Not yet but I will let you know as soon as I hear something.”


“Thanks.” He turned over and was soon fast asleep.



Shelby noticed Brinn was unsettled today.  She snapped at Matty and didn’t want to play with Chantel.  Finally Shelby took her to her room. “Brinn, what’s the matter?”


“What are you hiding from me.  My daddys are gone and no one will tell me where they are or what they are doing.  I think something is wrong.”


“Oh, Brinny.  You are too smart.  Your dad had to go to the doctor and have a small procedure done.  He will be just fine and they should be back early this afternoon.”


“Well, why didn’t anyone tell me? I like to know these things.”


“We thought you would worry too much.  I know Mary was going to take you to town, if she had time, to get your hair dyed back.  How about if you and I go instead? We could have lunch someplace, just the two of us.”


“I would like that if you promise me when you hear how my dad is.”


“I promise, Brinny. Why don’t you go wash your face and hand.  Maybe put on one of your clean sundresses? We will make it a little girl time.” Brinn gave her a big hug.


“Thank you, Shelby.  I love you. I hope Gus makes you my sister soon.”


“I’m already your sister where it counts.” She pointed to her heart.


They shared a hug and went their separate ways to get ready for their trip.  Shelby checked with Lindsay and Becca and they said they were fine. Matty was playing with his new friends so Mary was watching him and the two women could handle the four little ones left.  As they drove down the driveway Shelby knew this was the best thing for Brinn today.



Justin was unable to sit any longer. The doctor had said an hour and it had now been two.  Tyler looked at Justin, “I’ll go see what I can find out.” He kissed Molly and walked away.  He came back in about five minutes. “The doctor just finished. He will be out in a few minutes.”


The doctor appeared only minutes later.  He walked over with a reassuring smile. “Sorry it took so long. Brian’s scarring was more extensive than it looked like on the scan.  It all went well. I don’t see any reason that in a couple weeks he shouldn’t be back to normal, well almost normal anyway. He might need to take it a little easy for a couple more weeks, nothing too strenuous.  I am having a prescription filled right now. He is going to be in pain, quite a bit of it for the next few days.”


Justin let out a sigh of relief but at the same time cringed.  “Brian is not good with pain or patience. Although the pain may be needed to keep his patience in check.”


“If he still has some problems, which could happen, we will treat the rest with medication. That could just be that he turned 50.  We will give him about an hour and then he will be ready to go home. I want him home before the strongest pain meds wear off.” And with that he was gone.


Molly smiled at Justin.  “See he will be fine. I am going to call and see how Paul is.”


“Taylor, why don’t you go home? I will stay here with Justin and then I can drive them home, if that’s alright with you, Justin.”


Justin pulled Molly close, “Listen to your husband.  If he doesn’t mind driving us home I would appreciate that but Paul has been without his mom long enough.”


“I’ll be right back, Justin.  I am going to walk Molly to the car.”


“Take your time.” Justin smiled at them as they walked away.


When Tyler returned he had a wistful smile on his face. “I hope you know I am totally crazy about your sister.”


“That is very obvious to me, Tyler.  I hope I didn’t insult you with the plane ticket earlier.


“No, not really. My mom and I have always had each other.  She did so much for me that I want to do for her now.”


“That is admirable. Did I hear you have a child?”


“That’s a long story I haven’t even gotten through with your sister yet.  When I was in college I got involved with a girl who I later found out wasn’t mentally stable.  She got pregnant and after our daughter was born, she disappeared. That is one of the reasons I got into law enforcement.  I want to find my daughter. I don’t know if she is alive or dead. Her mother died a couple years ago so I try to track leads when I can but there are fewer and fewer of them to follow each year.  Paul is such a sweet boy.”


Justin knew the conversation was done. He couldn’t imagine not knowing where Brinn was or who she was with. “Paul is a great little guy.  I love him so much. Molly is doing a great job raising him and it will only get better now that she has help.”


A nurse came out, “Mr. Kinney?” Justin stood up. “You can go see your husband now.  Just to let you know he is still very groggy. It will probably be about half an hour before he can leave.”


Tyler put his hand on Justin’s shoulder.  “I’ll wait here for you.” Justin followed the nurse into the surgery unit and into an area with curtains closing off small areas.  The nurse pulled the curtain back and there lay Brian. Justin noticed a little smile on his lips. He figured that was from the buzz he was still feeling.  


“Hello, beautiful.”  Justin said and kissed Brian.  


“Sunshine!  I love you.” Brian sounded drunk.


“I love you, too, Baby. Are you ready to go home?”


“I want to take you to bed,” Brian said with slurred speech.


“Sure, Baby.  Hopefully soon.”  Justin kissed him just as the doctor walked in.


The doctor shut the curtain and then pulled the blanket back to look at the swelling.  Justin gasped when he saw Brian was twice his normal size in girth. It was red and had a little discharge.  “He should keep ice on it twenty minutes on and twenty minutes off. …” the doctor continued speaking as Justin just looked at the painful organ. The doctor looked at him and said, 24 hours from now the swelling should be mostly gone.  There may be some discoloration. He isn’t going to remember any of this but you should know the first time he urinates it will probably hurt like hell. Tell him holding it will only make it worse and that too will get better in the next 24 hours but he can go home anytime.  Do you have help?”


“My brother in law is driving us home and there are lots of people at the house that will take shifts if he is unbearable.”


“Sure!  You won’t leave his side, will you?”


“I may have to but I won’t be far. I wouldn’t make anyone else deal with him like this.”


“Well, good luck.  Here’s his medication.  Don’t let him take more than it says.  I know you probably drink wine like water.  He can have a glass or two a day but remind him that it may take the edge off with the meds but it will make him have to urinate more and he really does need to drink water to get his system working again.”


By now a nurse had come in and Justin started helping Brian dress in the back sweatpants they had brought along.  After Justin helped with the T shirt he had Brian put his arms around his neck and Justin helped him stand up and then sit down in the wheelchair. Brian mumbled the whole time.  He kept telling Justin how much he loved him. Tyler drove the SUV around and assisted Justin in getting him into the back seat. Justin went around and got in next to him. As Tyler went to shut Justin’s door, Justin touched his hand, “Thank you.”


“You do for family,” was all Tyler said as he got in the driver’s seat and they were off.



By 1:00 pm the house was done for the day.  A supervisor Gus trusted was left to supervise the installation of the appliances.  And they went back to get some lunch. Lindsay had ordered subs along with salad fixing and chips.  They had been notified that Brian was out of surgery and Molly was on the way with dessert for everyone. Molly pulled up just behind Brinn and Shelby.


“Oh, Brinn, I am so glad you look like Brinn again. I just left the hospital.  Your dad did good and he should be home in an hour or so.” Molly hugged her bright young niece.


“Phew, that’s a relief.”  Brinn said and Molly and Shelby started laughing.  


“I was in charge of desserts. I bought brownies and ice cream with caramel and fudge sauce.  We are celebrating.”


“Did you get whipped cream?” Brinn asked.


“I sure did,” and quietly she said to Shelby.  “I bought two extra cans of the stuff for us tonight.”


“Oh, I like the way you think.” Shelby put her arm around Molly and they walked in with the treats.


Everyone was still in the great room when the patient arrived home.  Dan came out and Tyler and he carried Brian up the couple stairs to the house and then decided to just carry him to the bedroom. He was still pretty out of it but as his feet hit the floor he grunted. Justin followed them in.  Dan asked, “Bri, do you want this clothes on or off?”


Justin surprised himself when he snapped, “I can take care of his clothes, Dan!”  He blinked. “I’m sorry, I….”


Dan put a hand on his shoulder.  “You are worried. I understand. Maybe we still have a few things we need to work through.”


Tyler didn’t ask.  He just backed out of the room and went to find Molly and Paul.  Molly was laying on the bed with Paul holding him above her while he giggled,   Tyler dropped onto the bed next to them. He took Paul and as he dropped and raised him they took turns kissing the squirmy little boy. Eventually, Tyler laid him down between them and looked at Molly, “Ok, what can you tell me about an issue between Dan and your brother?”


“Oh,” Molly’s eyes got big, “What happened?”


“Dan offered to help Brian undress and Justin nearly took out his throat. I mean they have been friends for years.  I am sure they have seen each other naked somewhere, a gym, a hot tub.” He looked at Molly’s face. “Oh, he’s more than seen Brian naked?”


“Shelby told me shortly before I moved here Brian and Justin were separated for a while and Brian and Dan hooked up for a while.  It’s all cool now….well, I thought it was cool. Justin’s had a stressful day. I am sure that is all it was. I’ll check on him later.”


As they talked Paul had drifted off to sleep. “I love this boy.”  Tyler said as he gently picked him up and laid him in the crib. He then turned and slowly lowered himself over Molly as laid back.



Justin helped take off Brian’s pants and helped put on loose fitting shorts. Brian drank some water and washed down some pills.  He drank the rest of the bottle. “Lay down sweetheart. I’ll get you a fresh ice pack and get you some more water. You drank the first bottle.” He dropped a kiss on his cheek and left the room.  By the time he returned Brian was sound asleep. He propped an ice pack against his groin and slipped out of the room, leaving a monitor on his bedside table.


Justin told everyone who was sitting in the kitchen more details about the procedure and recovery and then most of them headed out to the yard.  Justin set the monitor on the table next to him while Brinn crawled into his lap. “I love having my Brinny back to normal.”


“Daddy, just ‘cause I looked different didn’t make me different.”


“I know that, Brinny, but I like you with your natural color better.  It just looks more like my Brinn.”


Brinn fell asleep on his lap as they sat on the porch watching some of the guys play volleyball in the front yard.  Molly and Tyler wandered out with Paul and then took a walk down to the house And Gus joined his dad and sister on the porch to watch the game.  “Where’s Shelby?” Justin asked as they cheered on the game. “She should be out soon. She had a little headache so she hoped the drugs would help before she came out in the sun.  How’s Pops doing?”


“It is going to be awhile before he is up to much of anything. The doctor said maybe two weeks, a month until he is mostly normal again.”


“Hang in there, Dad. At least we have lots of distractions now.”  They sat back and watched the game.


Brinn stretched.  She smiled sweetly at Justin, “I guess I fell asleep.  Is it Ok if I see if Chantel can play. I love all my cousin’s but they are babies.”


“Sure you can, Brinn.  Just listen to Mary.”


“I always do, Daddy.”


As Justin and Gus were involved in the game, Molly started toward her friend’s house.  She noticed the baby monitor sitting near her Daddy and knew that there weren’t any babies in the house so she shut it off before running off.



Shelby had dozed off and when she woke her headache was nearly gone. For a moment the house was completely still but then she heard Brian call,  “Justin,” she didn’t hear any response. “Justin, where the hell are you?”


Shelby got up and crossed the hall.  She tapped on the door and walked in. “Your not Justin but, damn, you’ll have to do.  I have to go to the bathroom. Help me stand up.”


Shelby supported Brian as he stood up on wobbly legs.  She put one of his arms around her shoulders and helped him to the bathroom.  “I can do this. I’ll let you know when I’m done.” She went back to the bedroom to wait.


Brian stood by the stool and slipped down the shorts. He looked down at his distorted cock.  It was turning a blue color and was so swollen he wasn’t sure how anything was coming out of it but he had to go. He tried to relax but as urine began to dribble out a searing pain ran through him. “Oh, FUCK!”  The pain was so severe he grabbed a storage unit for support. “Shelby, I need you.”


Shelby walked in thinking he was done but he stood there grasping the cupboard with one hand and his penis with the other. She turned away quickly.  “You called?”


“Shelby, I need…” a tear ran down his cheek.  “It hurts so bad but I need to go.”


Shelby slipped under his arm so she was between him and the cupboard.  “Lean against me, Brian. Please, don’t aim at me but maybe if you can relax against me it will make it easier.”  It was an awkward position but Shelby supported Brian the best she could. She glanced at his face and saw the tears in his eyes.  It took several moments to finish and when she knew he was finished she bent down and pulled up his short for him. She then put her arms around Brian and held him. His arms slowly went around her and he trembled for a few moments.  “Are you ready to move?”


“Ya,”  slowly they walked to the bedroom together.  Shelby helped him to lay down and pulled the blanket over him.  


“I’ll go get you more ice.”  Shelby returned with an ice pack.  “Is there anything else I can get for you?”


“No, but if you see Justin send him here,” Brian said gruffly. “Shelby, thank you.  I…”


“It’s fine, Brian.  Family does for family.”  She headed toward the door.  “Brian, I know now isn’t the time but, I love your son with all my heart.  I don’t care where we live as long as we are together.” And with that Shelby walked out the door.


Shelby leaned against the door for a moment.  Well, that was more of Brian than she ever expected to see.  She heard noise coming from the front of the house so she walked out to join them.  She found Gus and Justin sitting there. “Um, Justin, Brian wants you. He was calling for you so I helped him go to the bathroom.”


Justin’s eyes got big.  “I bet that didn’t go over well.  I wonder why I didn’t hear…. The monitor is off.  How did that happen!” Justin rushed into the house.  He ran down the hall and into their room. “Oh, Baby, I am so sorry.  I don’t know what happened. I had the monitor next to me and it got turned off.  Brinn, I didn’t even think. I saw her looking at it oh, I am so sorry.”


“Shut up and lay down with me.”


“Brian, how did it go, in the bathroom?”


“It wasn’t embarrassing enough for me to have to do that in front of Shelby.  Now you want me to tell you about it. Lay down and shut up.” Justin curled up by Brian and Brian took Justin’s hand and squeezed hard.  “It hurts like hell. Knock me out. Give me drugs. I can’t handle this.”


“Brian, the doctor gave strict orders not to give you more medication than prescribed but I can get you a little wine?”


“What the hell will wine do?”


“Well it will take the edge off but it will also make you need to piss more.”  The moan that came from Brian told Justin how bad the pain was. “Oh, Baby, what can I do?”


“Just lay here with me.”



By the time the holiday weekend arrived Gus was back to his old self and on Saturday everyone decided to go to San Francisco for the day. Justin   thought a quiet day might do Brian good. He was still in a lot of pain and Justin was ready to try anything to raise his mood. The only problem was Justin didn’t know if he could handle the whole day.  Too bad Mel and Lindsay had to leave. Lindsay could always deal with Brian. The only other help he could think of was Dan. That just showed him how desperate he was. Well, Marcus and Dan were going to be here soon.   After much coaxing, Brian came out and sat on the veranda. There was a nice breeze keeping the temperature moderate for them. Justin brought extra cushions to make Brian comfortable.


“Baby, what else can  I get you?”

“An ice pack and bourbon would be nice.”


“The doctor said no liquor.”  


“Justin, if you don’t get it for me, I will get it myself.”


“Fine!” Justin went into the house and came back with a glass and a bottle.  Go for it.”


When Dan and Marcus arrived Justin brought them out to the veranda.  It was obvious Brian had taken the edge off with at least one if not two glasses already and was now dozing.  Justin offered wine to their guests. “Dan, I owe you a big apology. You were trying to help and I jumped down your throat.”


“I understand, Justin.” Marcus looked confused and looked at Dan and then at Justin.

“Were you two ….” he started.


Dan, who sat next to him pulled him close, “No, Red, but Brian and I, well, let’s say we were there for each other last fall.”  Marcus looked shocked. He looked at Justin.


“And you’re OK with this?”  he asked in disbelief.”


Justin leaned forward and took Marcus’ hand.  “It was my fault. I lost my cool when Brian was stuck in New York for an extended visit and I stepped out of the marriage.  Dan was there to help Brian cope.”


“So does that mean, if Brian and Justin have another rough spot you’ll fall into bed with Brian again? Am I the backup, the good enough?  I need to know Dan, before I throw away my whole life, that I can count on you.”


“Red, of course you can count on me and I hope you don’t feel like you are throwing your life away by coming out.”


Justin looked at Marcus and said, “Dan won’t be coming back because I am not leaving him.  Marcus, I know we don’t know each other well but Dan is one of the best guys I know but coming out isn’t for him, it is for you.  I can see how much you care about him and I had gotten the feeling he may have been your first. Brian was my first. I fell in love with him that night.”


“But you don’t know my family.”


“No, I don’t but after I made the decision I was rejected by my dad and up until the day he died he couldn’t accept me but I learned it was far more important for me to accept myself than to be someone else in his family.”  Justin leaned forward and kissed Marcus’ cheek. “You have to live for you, not for your family.”


“You don’t understand.  My family, well, they are well known and it  could ruin my mother’s career.”


“What kind of career could be ruined by a gay son?”  Justin was surprised when Dan asked this. He obviously hadn’t had this conversation.


“Have you ever seen ‘The Birdcage’? Well, my mother is a politician like the father in that show.  She plans to run for congress this year and skeletons in the closet just won’t do.”


Dan sat there with his mouth open, “You never told me that.”


“Darling Dan, when we are alone you tend to be worshiping my body, not talking about my mom.”


Dan’s hand slipped between his legs, “That’s because I had to teach you so many things. I’m sorry, I know this is serious.”


“Fuck already,”  Brian mumbled. “Damn, those pills and bourbon don’t mix.”


“I warned you.” Justin put an arm around Brian and Brian leaned into him.  “Brian is not a very good patient.”


Dan chuckled, “I remember.  Are you feeling any better? Seems to me you said the doctor said it should start feeling better soon.”


“Oh, it’s a lovely shade of blue and the swelling has gone down.”  Brian snarled.


“I told you I wouldn’t mind if the swelling stayed.”  Justin bent down and dropped a kiss on Brian’s crotch.


Brian had to smile at this and as he sat up, Brian kissed him.  “So Marcus, I can’t think of a Reeves in state politics.”


“ That’s because I didn’t grown up in California.  She is in Oregon. Her supporters are straight laced, old fashioned, unaware group.  And I’m not saying she has anything against homosexuality however, many of her supporters do.  And I know she loves me but if I came out now, it would probably totally ruin her chances. She has worked for this all her life.  I can’t crush her dreams.”


“It’s your life, not hers.”  Brian said bluntly.’’


Justin patted Brian’s arm.  “Baby, you have to remember your homelife was different than most.  It sounds like Marcus had a very supportive mom in every other way.” Justin looked at Marcus.  “Brian basically raised himself. His sexuality had nothing to do with the way he was treated when he was young.”


“I’m sorry, let’s change the subject.  Dan told me that Gus’ house is done.”


“It is and it is spectacular.  Would you like to see it, Marcus?”


“I would love to!  If I know we have a young, talented contractor around, I can give out his name when people are buying land.”


Dan looked at  Brian. “I’ve seen it.  I’ll stay here with Brian.”


“I can stay alone for god sake.”


“I’ll stay,” Dan said.  Brian scowled and Dan laughed.


“Come on, Marcus.  Trust me, you don’t have to worry about those two doing anything while we’re gone. Are you up for a walk or would you rather take the  cart?”


“A walk sounds good.”  Marcus responded. Justin looped his arm in Marcus’ and off the went.


Brian looked at his old friend.  “Are you really comfortable with someone who is still in the closet?”


“That is the first time I heard the reason.  I knew he wasn’t out because I was his first but I had no idea we were talking politics.  He is special, Brian, not because I get to teach him everything but he has a beautiful soul.  No, I refuse to hide forever but for a while, I’ll have to live with it. I know I will be investigating her platform.”


“Dan, can you pour me a bourbon? And ignore me when I pass out.”  Brian emptied the glass Dan handed him and sat quiet for a minute.  Then in a faraway voice he said, “Justin needs me. He needs someone. It’s been too long.”


“He’s not going anywhere.  He has put up with your saggy old ass too long to leave now.”


“My ass isn’t saggy….”  Brian said as he dozed off.



“So , Marcus, tell me about yourself.” Justin asked as they strolled toward the house.


“Not much to tell.  After getting a business degree I got my real estate license.  I was looking for a business to buy not so close to home and I found this one.  I loved the area and the size of the town. I have to admit I heard about you and Brian and all the work you were putting into the town to keep it thriving.”


“I can’t take credit for that.  That is all Brian. He couldn’t stand seeing all the beautiful businesses downtown standing empty while another strip mall went up.  I am sure if you hear of anyone interested in one of them, other than the one we are refurbing now, are available for sale to the right person. So Marcus, how is the new relationship going?  I don’t mean details. I just remember being with Brian back in the day. I had so many questions and was so confused. Obviously, you survived the first time and went back for more.”


“Dan is an amazing lover.  I didn’t know it could be that good.  I have been with women and my mom is trying to get me to marry a family friend.  I just can’t. I wish I knew how to tell her. It may be early but I love Dan. I have never said that before to anyone.”


“Brian is the only man I have loved, too.  And I have been with a couple women, too, but they were never the real thing. Our sweet Brinn is the result of one of the nights and I wouldn’t change that for the world.”


“You two are good parents.  You had to be a kid when Gus was born.”


“I was 17. It was the first night we were together.  Just seeing him hold his son, I knew I loved him. I knew I loved them both.”  They came around a curve and the house came into view. “Well there it is. It is a beautiful building. Let’s go in.”


As they entered, Marcus took in a deep breath.  The two story great room and wall of windows nearly took his breath away.  The flow from the kitchen and dining area into the area with sofas and a TV had a natural flow and when he looked at the view he was in awe.  “Hey, I think I can see Dan’s new property from here. It is that area that has the little brook running through it and the open area by it.”


“Want to see the rooms upstairs?”


“Oh, yes.  Gus is very talented if he designed this on his own.”


“He had a little help from the architect he was working with this summer just to make sure the structural components were appropriate.” They walked up the staircase to the second floor. To the left was the master suite and to the right was three bedrooms. They moved through them first.  They were spacious rooms with neutral carpet and walls. “He is leaving these like this for now. Hopefully, they will have a couple kids I can paint murals for someday.”


“Shelby seems like a great person.”


“She is.  I love her almost as much as Gus.  Brian is slowly coming around. You see Gus is bi and has been with his share of men, too, and Brian just can’t understand why he would pick a woman over a man. The heart loves who the heart loves.”


As they walked into the Master, Marcus stopped again.  It had an even better view of the whole valley. The room was huge and yet felt cozy.  There were French doors leading out to a balcony with a little sitting area around a chimney that had fireplaces to the outside and inside.  Marcus could picture a loveseat and chair near the fire with the view of the valley beyond. There was an area that was obvious for the bed and a large walk in  closet. The bathroom was larger than a standard bedroom and the large jet soaker tub and walk in shower were very inviting. And the moss green and soft rose and browns made it impossible to feel stressed. “Your sister did the color pallete?”  Marcus asked.


“Yes, I can’t wait to see the furnishings in place.  She and Gus worked on most of it together. Shelby didn’t want to have to make all those choices so when Gus and Molly had things narrowed down to two or three options Shelby would give her opinion.”


“Well, I am sure I can send lots of business their way.  Remodels and redecorating always comes along with a new place.”  Marcus stepped out onto the balcony and looked into the distance. “Justin, can I ask you something?”


“Sure, ask away.”


“Um, I am guessing you bottom?”


“Most of the time, yes.  When we were first together it was rare I would top but over the years Brian actually asks for it sometimes although over all he prefers to top.”


“I need some pointers. Dan wants me to top and I’m not sure I will know how to….”


“Oh, Marcus, trust me, you’ll figure it out.  Just think of the things you like and make sure you prep him first.  This isn’t Dan’s first go round. He will ask if he needs something and that doesn’t mean you failed.  It just means every guy likes it different. I am sure he has given you a prostate massage, start with that. Don’t rush.  Dan really likes you, Marcus. I have only seen him with one other person he cared about and that was over 10 years ago. I mean he really cares for you.  I can’t say love because I don’t know his heart but if it isn’t yet it is close.”


Marcus turned and kissed Justin.  “Thanks, Justin.”


Justin stood for a moment and than said, “If that was just a casual kiss, and I know it was, I can only imagine what Dan receives.  Wow! I hope you figure out a way to tell your mom. I guess we better get back. I can’t make Dan deal with Brian alone too long. The rest of the family will be home late afternoon.  You guys may want to go home before that crowd arrives. I love them to death but I think it is time for our house to get back to normal.”


“Totally understandable.” Marcus looped his arm in Justin’s this time and they walked back to the main house.


When the men walked up they were laughing.  “What’s so funny?” Brian asked through slurred speech.


“So we’ve had a little more bourbon, have we?”


Dan laughed, “Brian may call it a little.  The rest of the world would call it a fifth. So what are you two laughing about?”


“I was just telling Marcus about some of the good old days.  You will need to take him to your place in New York. It really is a special garden.”


Marcus sat next to Dan and rested his hand on Dan’s upper thigh. His fingers were stroking  Dan nonchalantly. “Red, if you keep that up we are going to have to leave.”


“I am always ready to go with you but I might just be ready to lead for a while.”  Dan’s eyes got big. “Well, then I think we should just head home now.” Dan walked over and hugged Justin, “I am sure I have you to thank for this.”


“I’m glad I could take away a little of his inhibitions for you. Would you mind helping me get him back to our bedroom?”  With Dan on one side and Justin on the other Brian barely woke and instantly passed out again. “Justin, if you need a break, after everyone has left, give me a call.  I can sit with him while you and Marcus have a night out or something.”


“I might take you up on that if this doesn’t get better soon.” Justin hugged both men.  When he hugged Marcus he softly said, “Follow your heart and I promise your dick will know what to do.”


“We will have the two of you over for dinner as soon as he is up to it.” Marcus said.


Brian mumbled something about a couple of dikes playing house.  Dan and Justin cracked up. That was Brian from back in the day before he knew how nice playing house could be.  After Dan and Marcus left Justin joined Brian in bed. He pulled him close and couldn’t stop himself from kissing Brian.  Brian grabbed Justin’s crotch and began to squeeze almost painfully.


“Oh, god, Brian I need you so bad.”


“Turn over and put that ass in the air.” Justin did as he was told. Brian yanked down his shorts and briefs and slowly and carefully moved onto his knees behind him.  He looked at Justin’s beautiful ass. He brought his mouth down and kissed each of Justin’s cheek and then began to run his tongue over his bud. Brian grunted.


“Baby, don’t hurt yourself.”


“I want you to cum.” With no warning, Brian thrust two fingers deep into him.  Justin cried out as Brian thrust in over and over, turning his fingers so his knuckles rubbed Justin’s prostate.


Justin began to whimper.  It had been so long he had no way to hold on and with in a couple minutes Justin.  He cried out as he convulsed. Both of them slumped to the bed. Justin turned and kissed Brian.  He saw the strain on Brian’s face knowing that took a lot out of him. He kissed him again and this time Brian moaned.


“Did I hurt you?”  Justin worried.


“Well, it did but I think it might be a good pain.  My dick was trying to respond.”


“Oh, Baby,” Justin pulled him close and Brian passed out.



Dan and Marcus drove back to their town houses.  By now Dan was just keeping his as a big closet and a ruse in case Marcus’ family came by.    The door was barely shut before Marcus had pinned Dan against it. “Well, what a difference a couple weeks makes,” Dan said as Marcus’ mouth descended on his. “How can your mother call this wrong?”


“Oh, she has no trouble with it as long as it isn’t her son doing it.”  Marcus pulled off Dan’s shirt and his hand was down Dan’s pants. As he pressed his erect penis against Dan, he began playing with Dan’s tight bud. As soon as he touched it, Dan’s cock was erect.  Dan yanked off Marcus’ shirt.


“I hope this means you are going to fuck me, Red.  I want to feel you inside me.”


“I want to try. I don’t know if I will do it right.”


“Just think what you like and you’ll do fine. Let’s go upstairs. We have what we need up there.” Dan took his hand and led him upstairs.  They finished undressing and looking at him, Dan could see how nervous Marcus was. He pulled him into his arms. “Red, you will do fine. I am sure of it.” His hand slid to Marcus’ cock. “You have more than enough to please a man.” He dropped to his knees and took Marcus in his mouth. He spent time licking and sucking  and as he began to taste the precum. Dan removed his mouth and he bent over his bed, resting his chest on the bed, he tried to relax.

Marcus slipped on a condom and used lots of lube. He began slipping his fingers into Dan.  He shivered. He had never felt anything like it before. The heat reminded him of being with a woman but he never felt like this with a woman.  His finger brushed against Dan’s prostate and he sighed.


“That’s right, Red.  That’s the spot.” Dan began to whimper more as Marcus rubbed his prostate over and over.  He removed his finger and brought his dick to the puckered bud. “Oh, god, yes Red. Keep going please.” In one fluid move Marcus pushed until he had no more to give. He reached around and took Dan’s swollen cock in his hands.  That was all it took for Dan to climax. He made a noise Marcus had never heard before.


“Darling Dan are you alright?”


“Red, I have never been better.  If you start moving you might see how good I am a second time.” Marcus had amazing staying power and before he climaxed Dan was ready to climax again and this time they both shouted as they came.


As they collapsed onto the bed Marcus’ phone rang. “Damn, that’s my mom. I ignored her call earlier.  I have to get this.” He picked up his phone. “Hey, Mom. Sorry I couldn’t answer earlier. I was visiting a sick friend.”


“Marcus, how is the business going?  If you were visiting a sick friend that must mean you made some friends.”


“Yes, Mom.  I have. In fact, I was just working out with my friend, Dan.” Dan started kissing his neck. “And Mom I really should finish my workout.  Did you have a reason for calling?”


“Yes, I’m going to come for a visit next weekend.  I have plans tomorrow and very soon I will be into full fledged campaign mode so I am going to come see you. You don’t have anything planned you can’t change do you?”


“Well, I guess not but, Mom, now that I own a business I can’t always know if I will be free this far in advance. I have a couple properties I hope to sell this week but sure you can come.  I just may have to leave you alone for awhile.’


“That’s fine.  I have a suite at the hotel so I can always go there when you are busy.  You could stay there with me if you want to.”


“Mom, I have to go.  I will talk to you later.  When will you get here?”


“I will see you Friday.  Love you dear. Love you too, Mom.” By now Dan was drawing circles on his chest and he just wanted to feel him deep inside him.


“So, your mom is coming?”


“Ya but right now, fuck me!”



It was about dinner time when everyone returned from their outing. Tomorrow the furniture would arrive for the new house and on Sunday they were going to spend their last day together.  On Monday, Labor Day, the plane was flying them back. Everyone had a great time but everyone knew it was time to get back to real life. School would start up again and Shelby would start classes with Brinn on Tuesday and Justin hoped Brian would heal.  As much stress as the extra people caused it also showed Brian and Justin the support they both needed.


Pizza was delivered and after eating all the kids needed baths and beds.  The day had worn them out and everyone could use some quiet time. Shelby and Gus sat on the veranda by themselves.  Molly and Tyler had planned to join them after Paul fell asleep but as time went on they had a feeling that they either fell asleep or found some other way to spend their time.  Gus pulled Shelby onto his lap and his hand slid under her dress.


“Gus, I am sticky and I’m sure smelly after the day outside.”


Gus breathed in her scent.  “I love your smell.” His fingers had found the spot they were looking for.  “So do you want to help with the furniture or do you want to be surprised when it is all done.”


“I had planned to help.  I don’t want anyone to think I am being lazy.”  


“No one would think that.  If you stay back you could watch Paul and Jonna while the guys can do the heavy lifting.  Molly will need to be there since she has designed that all. Then, you stay here and on Monday it will be totally finished.”  Gus continued to stroke her warm, soft center. Her head dropped back and Gus kissed her neck. Gus unzipped his fly and then turned Shelby so she straddled him.  He moved her underwear to the side and she sank down onto his penis. He held her there for some time. “Two more nights and we will be in our new home. I am ready to have our own space again.”


As Shelby began to move up and down on Gus, she responded, “I  can’t wait, Gussy. I can’t wait.”


The weekend flew by.  The furniture came and was all moved in. Molly was everywhere at once.  She had men moving a chair 6 inches one way and then telling another one to make the bed with what bedspread.  Pictures were hung and towels were placed on shelves. They even put dishes in the cupboards and food in the refrigerator.  By the end of the day Molly was exhausted. Still in the house she adjusted pillows and moving candles. As she walked down the steps she heard a noise.  As she turned to go back up the stairs to hide she saw Tyler come in the door.


“Hey, Taylor, are you still here?  Mrs. Harris?


“Come on up, Tyler. I’m in the master.”  Quickly and quietly she undressed and went out on the balcony.  There was a nice reclining chair for two out there.”


“Mol?”


“Out here, Detective.”  Tyler smirked. He loved that woman.


“Where are you, Tay…”  Tyler stopped mid sentence as he saw his naked wife lying on a lounger.


Moonlight gleamed down on her fair skin as he slowly undressed.  He started at her toes and nibbled his way up her body. When he got to the junction of her legs he stopped moving upward.  He feasted, bringing her to the point of orgasm before moving up her body. He kissed her trembling lips, “You have to be exhausted. You lie back and let me…”  Tyler made love to her slowly, until she could take no more and her body trembled and then she sighed as the tension left her body. She reached up and pulled him down next to her.


“I needed that, Detective.  Now if you could only carry down the stairs and to our bed.”


“Considering how many people are on this property, it might be best if you dressed before I carry you anywhere.”


Molly stretched lazily.  “Ya, that could be a little awkward.  We better get home to our son. Tomorrow we can at least move back to the cottage. I talked to one of the builders working on our apartment and it sounds like the end of the next week we should be able to move in.  How about having our moms come the first weekend in October? Then we can tell them everything.”


“Sounds perfect.  Now, let’s go to the house and get some sleep.” Once they arrived at the house, all went silent until the sun came up.


Gus knocked on his dads’ door.  “Can I come in?”


“Sure, Gus.” Justin and Brian were laying on the bed.  


“How are you feeling, Pops?”


“I’m much better than a week ago. I’m still not ready to give your dad a happy ending.”


Justin and Gus both rolled their eyes. “I was hoping you would feel up to a little cart ride this morning.”


“I have heard the place is fantastic.  I probably could handle the ride as long as you went slow.”


“I  would love it if you could be there.”


“Now I am curious,” Justin looked at a fidgeting Gus.  “What is going on?”


He pulled a small box out of his pocket and opened it.  “I am going to ask Shelby to marry me and I want my family to be there.” Gus made eye contact with Brian. “You guys have always been there for me.  I want you to be there now when I ask the woman I love to be with me the rest of our lives.”


Brian leaned over and kissed Justin, “Can you leave us alone for a minute, Sunshine?”


“Sure, Baby.”  Justin walked to the door and kissed Gus’ cheek as he left.


“Come here, Sonny Boy.” Gus walked over and dropped into the spot Justin just vacated. Brian reached over and took his hand.  “I …. You know I want only the best for you, right?”


“I do, Pops, and I know you don’t think Shelby…”


“No, wait,” Brian squeezed Gus’ hand,  “I know Shelby is a good woman and I realize your life has been much different than mine was.  I can see you two love each other. In fact, I can see she loves you like I love Justin. I just want you to be happy, and if she holds your heart, you have my blessing.  I love you and she is now part of our family.”


Gus carefully hugged his dad.  Both men had tears in their eyes. “Thanks, Pops.  I have to have the best parents in the world. I talked to my moms just before they left and they love her already too.  Can you be ready in 15 minutes?”


Brian kissed his son.  “I will be ready.” Gus rushed out the door. He saw Justin and kissed him and then was gone.


Justin entered the room and saw Brian wiping his  eyes. “You made our son very happy.” Justin sat on the edge of the bed and brushed his lips again each of Brian’s cheeks.  “Are you ok?”


“Ya, could you grab me some decent shorts and a shirt? Our son is going to propose to the love of his life. Justin helped Brian dress and walked him out to a cart.  


“We will take it slow.” Brian kissed Justin before letting him walk to the other side of the cart.  “Soon, Baby, very soon I hope.” Justin started the cart and went in the direction of the new house.  The rest of the family was going to sneak into the back of the house after they knew Gus and Shelby were in the house and back in the bedroom.  



“Are you ready to see our home?”  Gus asked as Shelby started nodding.  “Then let’s go.” They got on the last cart and drove.


“Why am I nervous?  I know I will love all of it.  Molly and you know me so well.”


“I want you to know, Molly did such an amazing job on the decorations but the bedroom was all me.  Well, I guess I asked her opinion a little but all the furniture and layout was me. That is our space.” Gus reached over and took Shelby’s hand.  As they rounded the curve Shelby was just stunned. There was now a circular drive up to the house and landscaping had been completed.


“Oh, Gus it is spectacular.” The moment he stopped she rushed toward the door.


“Wait!”  Shelby stopped.  Gus walked up with a blindfold.  “I’m going to blindfold you so I can get you in the perfect spot.” He pulled out a scarf and put it around her eyes and led her into the door.  He moved her to the middle of the living area looking out at the view. “Shelby, this is the view you and I will look over the rest of our lives.”  Gus took off the blindfold and she just stared.


“This is so stunning.” Slowly she turned around and looked at the beautiful living space.  She sat and stood, trying to see everything at once. As they moved out of this area, Gus waved signalling whoever was watching they could move into place.  Justin texted John and everyone moved into plus.


Shelby looked at the kitchen she started going through the cupboards and Gus said, “You can do that later.  I want to show you the upstairs.” Gus’ voice had a little edge to it. “I’m sorry,” he kissed her. “I just have been so excited to show you.”


“The last time I was here was when you fell.”  She clung to his arm as he led her through the extra bedrooms and then they moved to the master suite.  They looked around the bedroom. “Can we try out the bed?” she tried to take him to the bed.


“Let’s look at the deck first. Shut your eyes.” Shelby did it and he led her outside.  He turned her to face him so she didn’t see the family standing on the lawn and dropped to one knee before saying, “Ok, open your eyes.”


Shelby’s eyes had to move downward to see Gus, “What are you….” then she notice the box in his hand. “Shelby Jones, you have owned my heart for a long while.  Please, say you will marry me and put up with me the rest of our lives.”


Shelby didn’t say a word but offered her hand.  As he slid the ring onto her finger he said, “Is that a yes?”


“Oh, yes.  YES!!!!. I love you.”  


“I love you, too, Shelly.” He turned toward the view and that was the first time Shelby realized the whole family was watching them.  “SHE SAID YES!” As Gus kissed her three bottles of sparkling wine were uncorked. “We’re coming down.” They stepped into the bedroom and Gus turned to kiss her once more.  “I promise very soon we will christen the bed...and the sofa, and the lounge chair,...and…”


She laughed and kissed his cheek, “I will hold you to that.  I love you, Gus Kinney.”


“I love you, Shelby Smith Kinney. Oh, I like the sound of that.”


As they stepped out onto the deck a cheer went up as they were surrounded by their family and the love they all shared.  


Brian slowly moved to Shelby and Gus, holding his glass in the air he said, “I want to be the first to officially welcome Shelby to our family. I can’t be happier that Gus has found his soulmate.  With you by his side he will be able to live up to his full potential. Love to both of you from Justin and me.”


Brian hugged both of them and then said, “So when is the wedding?”  Everyone laughed and the couple was rushed by cheering family. Shelby felt a tap on her arm and saw Brinn standing next to her. Shelby bent down and Brinn hugged her.


“Thank you, Shelby.”


“Thank you for what?”


“I finally will have a sister!”