- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Based on the plot bunny by the one and only PBQ...Deb Tanner

The Tiffany box plot point praise goes to Cathy, without it they would not have caught him. Thank you sweetheart!

Banner courtesy of the lovely Anja!

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing, not a damn thing, no copyright infringement is intended whatsoever.

CHAPTER 1 - HELLS BELLES


BRITIN - EARLY AFTERNOON


DINING ROOM


BRIAN


I scrutinise the table, making sure that it is absolutely perfect for my esteemed friends and family. I look up as the door opens and Justin comes in. He smiles as he comes towards me. “You all set?”


“Almost.” I reply.


“How you feeling?” He looks steely eyed and determined. “I will understand if you just want to do it and get it over with, but I want…”


“So do I, Sunshine, so do I.” I wrap my arms around him and kiss him deeply. The doorbell being leaned on means one thing. “I do believe the first of our guests have arrived.” 


“Want me to get it?” 


“I’ve got it!” Is shouted out, and seconds later Carl and Ben come in.


“You okay?” Justin asks after kissing Ben on the cheek.


“Yeah. Just relieved that it is finally over.” 


“Have you got them?” Carl asks, and Ben nods before handing over the Tiffany box and a carefully wrapped knife and fork set. “You've only touched the box, not the contents? And these were used this morning, correct?”


“Correct.” He replies, and I swallow down bile. 


“Don’t.” Justin chides me gently. “They are the past, these are the present and our future.” He nods at the Van Cleef jewellery box.


“Miller!” Carl bellows, and he steps in with an evidence bag. “Final pieces. Get them dusted, I want confirmation in half an hour.”


“Yes, Det Horvath.” He takes them and leaves swiftly.


“This is a hell of a mess!” Carl sighs.


“Have you told her?” I ask.


“No. I couldn’t, and not just from a legal standpoint. I just couldn’t. Never in a million years did I think this day would come.”


“Me neither.” I put my arms around his shoulders. “You think it will finish you?”


“I hope not. I am holding on to the fact she said no matter who it is I want you to try and find him.”


The door is thumped on then banged open. “Pops! Papa! Where you at?!” Gus yells.


“Dining room!” I holler back, and wait for our son to bound in. He’s been in Italy for the last month, soaking up the culture with his boyfriend. Oh yes, the ex-Stud of Liberty Avenue’s son is a proud, flag waving, card carrying homo; but, like the rest of the family, has no idea what is happening. “Hey, Daddios!” He pulls us all into a group hug, he has inherited my long arms. “What’s for eats? Is she speaking to him yet? Are Mom and Momma here? Can I sleep here tonight? Oh, by I, I mean we, as she still has a problem with him.”


“A special meal, no, no to both but they will be, and yes.” Justin replies with a grin.


“Ooh, the WASP bitch smile!” He beams. “Please tell me that you finally got to them and they are done?”


“They are done.” Justin gets a hi-five. 


“Oh thank goodness. Their sniping, carping, harping cuntish behaviour was very annoying. And they call themselves parents. They should caveat that with only when it suits them.” He heads to the cart. “What’s to drink, people?”


“As a member of Pittsburgh’s finest, I cannot countenance a sixteen year old drinking alcohol, but as your grandfather, a whisky please!”


“Daddios, you guys want Beams? And I am almost seventeen Gramps.”


“Please. And water yours right down, you have inherited his temper and picked up some of Justin’s traits.” Ben orders with a smile.


“Umkay, Poppa Benjie.” We watch as he pours the drinks then joins us at the table, I smile as his eyes bug out when he spots the Van Cleef box. “What?! No! Do not be fucking with me!”


“We’re not fucking with you, Sonny Boy.” I smile. “He finally said yes.”


“Does that mean you will adopt me proper and formal like?” His voice is thick with emotion, despite him riffing on Carl. 


“Yes, that means that.” Justin replies, and Gus flings himself into his arms, almost knocking him into the sofa sobbing with happiness. For years he has been begging us to get married, but one thing and another just stopped us, but now there is nothing to get in our way.


“Bri! Justin! Is everything okay?! The door is wide open!” Ted bellows.


“Thought it felt chilly in here!” I gripe. “If you can open the fucking thing, you can close it!”


“Sorry.” He hiccups from Justin’s lap.


“Dining room, Teddy, and everything is okay!” 


“Do we shut the door?!” 


“Please!” I call back and wait for him and Blake to come in. When they do, I can’t help the smile. They have turned into one of those couples who dress the same, but unlike one of those couples, it works for them because of their strong personalities, which they have had to toughen up in the face of the family onslaught of disapproval. But despite their history, Emmett is one of their staunchest supporters. “Givenchy this time, we're honoured.”


“You fucking bastard!” Ted explodes, but is smiling. “When did you ask him? Again, I mean?!”


“Last week.”


“Thank Christ you said yes, the fall out from the misery when you said no was horrific!” I shrug at the look of astonishment Justin gives me. “Oh sorry, Bri...I…”


“No need, Teddy. Where’s Ems?”


“Oh crap!” Blake sighs. “He’s most likely on the phone to the police and hiding in the barn! We saw the door open and panicked. Be right back!”


Five minutes later they stride in, Ems heads to the cart. He knocks back the vodka without saying a word. “Rats.” He announces. “You have rats in your barn!”


“Um, sorry, but this is what happens in the country. Now have a question: Will you be my best man?” Justin grins at him.


“Happens in the count...best...best man?!” He gasps then looks at us slowly. “I will be all kinds of pissed if this is a joke?!”


“Not a joke.” I reply, then point to the box.


“Van Cleef.” He breathes. “May I?”


“No, sorry, that honour goes to Debs and Mother Taylor. You under…” 


“Of course, Stud, I understand. And, Baby, of course I will! Oh wait, what about Daph? “


“She best woman, you best man.” Justin smiles. “Your turn.”


“His turn.” Ems frowns.


“She should be here right about now.” Justin chuckles as there is a sharp rap on the door. “Well, go get your best woman.” 


With a smile, I head to the door and sweep Cynthia into a hug. “Hey, best woman, want a drink?” I call over my shoulder then grin as her heels stop clacking on the marble. 


“Best? You fucking absolute fucker!” She shrieks, and I turn around just in time to catch her as she launches herself. She peppers my face and squeezes me hard. “I want to be in Dior!” She sniffles.


“Your wish is my command.” I murmur, and carry her to the dining room.


“Cynders!” Gus starts weeping again as he reaches for her. I plonk her on the sofa and watch them squuddle together and sob tears of joy. “You said yes, right?”


“Of course. We are both wearing Dior, understand me?!” She glares at Justin, he nods, smiles and hands out tissues. 


The door goes again. “I’ll go.” He blows me a kiss and heads out. “Ooof!” He gasps, then there is a few seconds of silence. “So, Smelly, Jay-ray and Daph are here!” He calls out, and I brace for impact. 


“Poppa B!” Jay-ray shrieks and I almost buckle as I catch her. “What’s the buzz?” 


I take in some much needed air. “Flower girl. Yes, you can wear camo.” 


Immediately she looks at Gus. “Reals?” She whispers.


“Reals.” He replies. She joins them on the sofa sniffing.


“She is going to go ape.” Smelly grins as she helps herself to wine. “Can’t wait. So is this it, the round up call, to say you two are finally gonna be legal? Oh, where is…” The door knocking and Lindsey's snotty tones interrupt her. “...may I?”


“Oh, please, Momma do.” Gus chuckles, and Jay-ray rolls her eyes.


Carrying her glass, she heads to the front door. This is one of the advantages of having the dining room where it is. Because of my Sunshine’s appetite, Christian, our butler and chef, and I tend to make sure he can come in from wherever he has been and walk into a snack or sometimes a three course meal if he’s been pissed off enough!


“Melanie.” Lindsay snipes.


“You.” She returns. “Dining room.”


As she comes in she freezes and takes in everyone who is here before her, especially Cynthia. Oh, how she hates her. She is the only woman that I back ahead of Lindsay, despite being the mother of your only child, but now that honour is going to be extended to Smelly!


“Isn’t that last season?” Emmett taunts her. “I do believe it is.”


“My best clothes are saved for the best people.” She bitches back, and then realises what she has said. “I mean…”


“Exactly what you said.” I retort.


“No, Brian, you…” 


“Am tired of your bullshit, we both are.” I look out the window and chuckle as the jalopy that is her car, brings Debs and Michael down the drive. “So the gang’s all here.” 


“Gus, how have you been? Did you enjoy…”


“Am tired of your cuntshit. Don’t talk to me.”


“Or me.” Jayray snaps. “You think that screwing around is a game? He could’ve given you anything and then you could’ve given it to Momma. So glad you are out of our lives. Why is she here anyway?” 


“Go sit in the corner, Baby, nobody cares.” Ted sneers at her.


“This from a crystal meth head who stole Gus’s college fund…”


“All those years ago, apologised, paid it back, and has been a better mother than you ever were!” Gus interrupts her bitchery.


“Asshoe!” Debs bellows as she lets herself in. “And Sunhoe. Where are you two?! Kitchen?!”


“Ma! Don’t call Brian that!” 


Justin and I exchange looks, which is not missed by Teddy, but, as usual, he says nothing.


“I've been calling them that for years, they have no problem! Everyone on LA knows that he rises with his smile in the morning and he sets in his ass at night!”


“Ma!” He shrieks, and everyone flinches.


“Snack room!” Justin calls back.


“As if that bubble butt and the butt seeking missile could be any…” Debs strides in. “...Gus!” She screams and Cynthia just about gets out of the way. “When?!”


“Can’t breathe!” Gus croaks as she almost strangles him. She eases up and runs her hands down his face and body. “Last night, and…”


“Hunk of love with you?” She cuts her eye at an almost volcanic Lindsay. 


“He is, but will be over later.” 


“Good.” She smirks.


“Hey, Brian!” Michael calls out as he comes in, and like Lindsay freezes on seeing everyone. “I thought it was going to be you, me and Ma today.”


“You thought wrong.” I reply just as my phone beeps. “Mother Taylor is running late. Says to carry on. So let’s sit down, shall we?” Michael immediately strides to the head of the table. “No, Michael, down the bottom, Justin is sitting next to me.”


“But I always sit next to you when we eat.” He pouts and starts to pull the chair out.


“Not anymore. Go sit next to your husband. Remember him?” Justin orders, and swats his hand away.


“Ouch, Justin! That hurt, you should cut your nails!” He clutches his hand to his chest.


“If my nails were as sharp as you are making out, then your eyes would be on the end of them!” Justin spits. “Now go sit like the bottom boy you are!”


The room goes quiet. People have heard Justin speak to him like that before, but this is usually followed by censure from me. Not this time. 


“We want to eat, Michael, come and sit down.” Ben’s surprisingly calm tones break the tension. With a frown at me he goes to join him. 


“I am so sorry!” Jennifer declares as she rushes in, closing the door behind her. I relish the continued pinching of Lindsey's expression, for it was Jennifer who found out, then told Justin about her affair. The last was one of many and all with men. “Car got a flat, it is at times like that that I wish I took the mechanics course!” 


“Mom, this end.” Justin calls out. “Pommery?” 


“Oh yes, please!” She sinks into the chair. “Tucker is going to have my ass. He told me to get the tyres checked.” She takes the glass, then spots the box. “If this is a…”


“It isn’t, Mom. I said yes.” 


“Oh my God!” Debs screams. “How didn’t I see that?!” She blubs.


“Well come on, you two get first look.” I order, and she runs towards us. As they gasp and weep, I watch my ‘family’, all but two are smiling, and their bitterness has never tasted so sweet.


“Really hope you have got a prenup. You do, right?” Michael snarks and Lindsay nods.


“Nope. Don’t need one. We have been together for 15 years, if he was gonna screw me over like you hope, then he would’ve done so by now. Besides, if anyone needs a prenup, it is him for me.”


“What on earth for?” Lindsay scoffs.


“Surely a denizen of the art world like yourself would know that art appreciates in value. My Sunshine gifts me his paintings. Now…” I pause as the door opens and Carl leaves the room “...um, I mean, so who wants to go first?”


“First? First at what?” Blake frowns.


“Tell me, I mean us, your first impressions of my Sunshine.” Soon the room is filled with banter and giggles as we reminisce over his persistence and determination to make me fall in love with him. Debs makes me cringe when she tells them about our conversation in the bar when she had me all figured out. “I have never felt so scared in my life.” I admit, and she frowns. “I thought that you would be angry because the person I love more than myself, then and now, wasn’t Michael.”


“Oh honey, I long gave up that pipe dream. The moment you went to New York, I knew. Then you brought him back to the one place you felt safe.” She looks at the door when it opens, as she sees Carl’s expression her face falls. “Oh for fuck sake!” She explodes. “Why, just why?!”


“Debs?” Emmett frowns.


“Why Michael, why did you try and kill Sunshine?!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.