- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10 - BUT WAS THWARTED AND NOW ENMESHED


JUSTIN


“Aren’t you curious as to why I gave it to mom, V3?” I take immense pleasure in her shellshocked expression. “I finally had my revenge, my way of letting you know how it felt to have someone interfere in your relationship. But unlike you, I wasn’t actually fucking and sucking around on Brian.”


“How could you do that?! It was none of your business what she was doing in her relationship! You don't know what their terms were.” Novotny rebukes me. He looks back at the incredulous looks that he is getting. “Well, he didn’t!”


“So their relationship is none of his business, but she can try and disrupt theirs at every given opportunity?” Daph has to be pulled back in her seat by Cynders.


“They do not have a relationship! Why don't you people get it?!” Novotny spits.


“They have been together, faithfully, for 15 years! How the hell is that not a relationship?!” Daphne snarls.


“Of course your fag hag would defend you!” He scoffs. “But I know for a fact that Brian has not been faithful to him!” He looks around the room. “I have proof!” He smirks when I look at Brian. “Everyone check your phones.” He orders as he taps his. “You should have it now.” The room goes quiet and he looks around gleefully. “I am sorry, but you forced my hand…”


“You know, I can’t imagine you as anything but blonde, but that really suits you, Justin.” Blake interrupts. “But where was that taken?”


“Justin?” The idiot echoes, and V3 looks over his shoulder at his phone. Her face twists in fury. “What’s wrong Lindz?”


“You! You came back?! How many times?!” She shouts.


“As many times as we wanted to be together in the Pitts!” I snap back. “I love New York, but Pittsburgh, and, once again, Brian, is my home!”


“I don't understand.” Novotny frowns,


“Of course you don’t, you only see what you want! And what you see there is Brian in the private lounge in Babylon, kissing, please note, kissing not fucking, a brunette with green eyes.” I smirk. “But what the rest of them see is me, with my hair dyed brown, and contacts in.” 


“That was you???” He explodes.


“It was always me!” I laugh. “Do feel free to share the video of him in the office at Babylon…


Start of flashback

BABYLON - FIVE YEARS AGO


OFFICE


JUSTIN


I dump my bag and roll my neck after the flight from hell. It was late, noisy, and bumpy! I grab a glass and pour a generous amount of vodka into it. Although it burns slightly, I relish it. I stretch out on the sofa, kick off my boots and wiggle my toes, I sigh deeply and close my eyes for just a few seconds. I am jolted awake by the sound of his voice.


“Michael, for the last time, It is you who has a husband who is pissed off already. Staying with me for the rest of the day is not going to help. For Christ's sake, go sort that out. I have an appointment that I am already…”


“But Brian, you need to help me with Ben. He listens to you! I think he is being unfair!”


“No he’s not.” Brian snaps, and I hear the gasp from his leech of the day. “You blew him off to go to yet another comic convention…”


“Captain Marvel and Captain Astro were both there, he knows how important they are to me!” He argues, and I dig out my phone, shaking my head. “He will have another…”


“Don‘t you get it?!” Brian shouts. “They are not real, they are people paid to be them for nerds and geeks like you! There will always be another convention! He is HIV positive, he might not have another birthday!”


“Have you two been talking?” He demands, his voice laced with suspicion.


“No, why?” Brian sighs.


“Because that’s what he said!” He sneers.


“That’s what anyone with an ounce of common sense and compassion would say, and more importantly, think! What has happened to you, Michael? When did you get so callous, and not just towards Justin, but to everyone? Actually, it is not just callous, it is arrogant as well. You have changed, and not for the better. Now go fix your fuck up!”


I finish sending the text to Marlo, who works at Ben’s favourite restaurant, knowing two things: Michael won’t fix the fuck up, and Ben will have all his favourite foods delivered to their house by seven.


“How can you treat me this way after…”


“Everything you did for me as a kid? Easy, because of what little you did for me when I needed you most as an adult!”


“Brian!”


“Get out, Michael, whilst there is something of your favourite relationship to salvage! No, don’t speak, if you want me to continue to be your best friend, go home to the person you fought to be your husband!” I hold my breath and wait. I can feel my cock twitching. I have never been more turned on in my life! “Thank fuck for that!” Brian grumbles, as no doubt Michael storms off. 


I start to pull off my clothes as I hear him running up the stairs. As he steps into the office, I leap on him. He catches me and we kiss the short distance back to the couch. 


“You said...” He mutters as he finishes continues stripping me. “...you would be dark brown, not black.”


“I know…” I gasp as I almost tear his clothes off. “...it looked awful, so changed it. Why those jeans?!” I demand frantically tugging at them. They are the stiffest ones he has.


“Client meeting first thing, last minute.” He explains, batting my hands away before shoving them down to his knees. “Knowing you were waiting for me, had to keep Jnr contained!” I moan as Jnr drips on my bush. “So, we really gonna do this?!” He groans, sucking at my neck.


“Yes. Now hurry!” I push his jeans off with my feet as he reaches for lube. “I don’t need it!” I gasp, then squeal as I feel him enter me, raw. 


“Christ!” He yells. “So good, so good!” 


“Ha-ah!” I cry as he bottoms out, we both go still.


“That’s it. I’m in, no going back.” He whispers.


“You always were and it will always be only you. No matter what happens, only you get all of me.” I whisper back…

End of flashback


BRIAN


“As a matter of interest, do you have it?” I look across at Novotny. “If you do, please send it to me, I would like a cop...” 


“Hey!” Novotny snaps, and tries to grab his phone back from Daphne. When she moved, I don’t know. 


“Heads up!” She yells as she tosses it my way. 


“Brian! Give me that back! It’s private! You have no right to look through my things!


“You had no right to try and kill me, but that’s what you did!” Justin declares. “And you were so lucky that he only hit you once at the party. If I had heard what you said, well…”


“What party? Is this what Ems was talking about before?” Carl asks. “I know you hit him some years ago, first and last time, but not why. So why?”


“Because he said I should’ve left Justin to die in the garage.” I reply, and the world stops.


“You said what?” Carl growls.


“Michael! For God's sake!” V3 exclaims, starting to move away from him.


“Oh please!” Daph snaps. “Don’t even! You were most likely thinking the same thing, but no filter dumbass here just said it!”


“I would never think something so heinous!” She rubs her face. “Alright, I will admit that I didn't want them to be together…”


“Well duh!” Gus scoffs.


“But to say that, I would never…”


“Mel, where were you on the night of the prom, and why did you say, V3, that she and Gus were your alibi? Why would you need one?”


DAPHNE


“I was at home like I said, but good point, why say that?” She turns to her soon-to-be-ex.


“Because you weren’t, well not all night.” I reply, grinning. “You were called to the precinct. You can come in now!” I holler, and the door opens. “Hey, did you bring it?” I demand of the female officer holding what is going to be the key to the lock that cages V3!


“Officer Fitson, what are you doing here?” Carl looks confused as does everyone else, well everyone but me and Officer Fitson.


“This is the log book on the night of the prom.” She hands it to Carl. “The tabbed page is particularly significant to Ms Marcus.” Carl flicks to the page, and the look of incredulousness has people gathering around, well, most of them. “She signed in at ten past ten, and left the precinct at three thirty the next morning.”


“So the alibi comment.” I goad V3. “Shall I explain whilst you gather your things?”


“Gather my…”


“You see, Brian, both of your best friends were determined that you would not find true love with anyone but them. And, like him, she was at the hotel on the night Justin was attacked…”


“I was not!” “See, I told you it wasn’t me!” They say at the same time.


“It was you, Novotny, and you were there, V3.” I correct them. “But she helped you get away with it for so long, unwittingly, but she did.”


“How?” Brian frowns.


“Because she called her mother to look after Gus for a few hours so she could get some sleep.” Officer Fitson explains. “But she couldn’t as she had guests, but she would send someone suitable, and that someone was me.”


“What?” Brian gapes.


“I was their next door neighbour, but two down. She barely paid me any attention, unless it was to sneer as we didn't live up The Avenue, however I digress. I wasn’t going to the prom.” She turns her baleful gaze on V3. “Not because the poor dear couldn’t find anyone desperate enough, but because I had exams first thing, so your mother called mine, and she sent me.”


“Charlotte, Charlotte Fitson?!” V3 gasps.


“Yep. You dumped Gus in my arms the moment I got there, and said you were going to lie down.”


“And that’s what I did.” 


“Then…” Officer Fitson steps outside briefly, then comes back in, pushing an old style TV and VCR unit. She says nothing as she plugs it in. The screen flickers briefly before everyone gasps. “...how are you there?” Brian and Justin are still, like everyone else, staring at the screen, which shows pictures from the security camera from the garage of the hotel. “Because that is you.” 


“You see the time…” I make my way to the screen and tap it when I get there. “It says 0035, Justin was attacked at 0028. By the time the police came, the only blood to be found was Justin’s.” If possible, the room goes quieter. “Next couple of shots, please.” My heart is pounding, and I look across at Ben and nod at Justin. He and Brandon get up and stand next to him and Brian. “And this is you, leaving twenty minutes after the ambulance.”


“You!” Justin screams, but is immediately held tighter by Brian, while Ben helps hold I'm down, and Brandon get between Brian and her.


“Look at me! Justin,  look at me!” Ben orders. His head turns and he locks gazes with him. “Think about it! That’s the reason…” He points at the screen. “...the reason she wanted you gone! What do you have that is coming back, in little flashes?”


“My memory.” He queries.


“More than that, your memory is more than that!” Ben presses.


“His eidetic memory.” Brian grimaces. “He’d remember more and more each passing year…”


“And then there’s the blood.” I nod at Charlie, as I call her, having known her for years. Again she steps outside. “Or lack thereof.” 


Charlie comes back in with a very old fire extinguisher. Confusion now joins annoyance on people’s faces. “And that was because you washed it away, we believe, using this…” She approaches V3 with a box. “...so, to disprove our theory, fingerprints please.” 


“That is all fake, made up!” She babbles, and starts to move towards the head of the table.


“Coming closer to us is such a bad idea!” Brian growls, and she stops. 


“Just put the glass down, Lindsay.” I tell her. “We can take them from there so you won’t get dirty.”


She turns to me, then, smirking, she winds her arm back and throws the glass across the room.


“Catch it!” I scream desperately, then watch in relief as Emmett leaps up and grabs it, but then he crashes into the wall. “Ems!” I rush over to him. “You okay?! Did you get it?!”


“I got it!” He puffs as I help him up. “Want to take mine first?”


“Please!” Charlie beams at him. 


“Hold everything!” Carl booms. “How are we here?!” 


“Because Officer Miller is my boyfriend.” Carlie grins. “And when he told me you were working on the case and what he had so far, I remembered why I wasn’t at the prom or at home. So I called Daph, and together we went back to the hotel, and it turned out that nobody had asked for footage of the garage.” Groans abound. “But the new management kept everything from the previous owners, after they skipped when nobody would stay there after it became known as...as Basher Mansions.”


“Well I’ll be damned!” Carl mutters.


“Wait! Can everyone please just wait?!” She screams. “I heard him be attacked, but I didn't see it! There was so much blood, so much, I just wanted it away…”


“Why not wash it all away?” David asks. “Why just that blood?”


“Because she was, ironically, trying to help...”. Mel sniffs. 


“Michael, her fellow collaborator!” Ted demands.


“No, she knows Brian, like you said, Carl, and the one thing, even before the bashing, he could not stand, is the sight of blood. But she didn't realise whose blood it was, she just washed it away, didn't you?”


“Yes.” She whispers. “But I didn’t see who. I swear!”


“Do you know what we could’ve done with the little you could’ve told us?!” Brian roars. “So, yeah, okay, so Mel would’ve been pissed, but it was another pair of eyes! A different perspective, just fucking something, someone other than me!” 


“But he’s here, still fucking here!” She snaps back. “And…”


“You had one on me.” Justin glares at her. “And that was all that mattered to you!” He squeezes both Ben and Brandon’s arms. “Guys, sit down, I am fine. Besides, I believe there is a terminology for what she did, right, Mel?”


“Yes. Evidence tampering. By washing it away, no matter the reasoning, you impeded the investigation. And since this is still an unresolved attempted murder, for which there is no statute of limitations, you can be and will be charged with that.”


“Wh...what? There is a statute!”


“Not for murder, attempted or otherwise, so you, you witch, you have just condemned yourself to at least three years in prison!”


Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.