- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - THE RING OF TRUTH, YES HE DIDN’T ADMIT IT...BUT HE NEVER DENIED IT EITHER!


MICHAEL


“What the fuck?! For the last time, I was not there! I did not do it!” I thunder at him. “And besides…” I take a couple of breaths. “...Brian told me all about…”


“No I didn’t.” Brian blasts. “I never told anybody about what Justin and I said to each other before you bashed him. For our ears only.”


For our ears only?! The ‘our’ used to be us until the slut came along! 


“She has a point! And from what everyone has said, I believe it!” Ben’s snarking tone gets my head back in the game of saving my hide!


“What?” I demand.


“I think I have the picture of it still. It was a source of pride to have my boy home, now it can only be described as…”


“A source of shame, embarrassment and the look of truth. Can I see that please, Debs?” Carl, the other sneak-thief in my life chips in.


“What are you talking about?!” I exclaim, just about stopping myself from punching the table.


“There you go.” Ma hands him her phone. “She’s right, there's that expression that to me used to mean, Brian Kinney screwed me over again, but really since Sunshine came along, really meant, he is not dancing to my tune anymore and I don’t like it! Yeah, that’s the one!” She jabs a red fingernail at me. “And I’m not dancing either, am I?!” 


“Ma, could you…”


“Miss Grassi, or if I have anything to do with it, Mrs soon-to-be Horvath!” Jennifer snarls. “So this, Debs, tell us about it.”


“It was about two months after he came back from…”


“Debs, he didn’t come back from Portland, he was sent back to Pittsburgh.” Boy Wonder tells her with a smirk. “David booted him out, remember?”


“Oh yes, so he did. So anyway…”


Start of flashback

DINER - TWO MONTHS AFTER MICHAEL’S RETURN


DEBS


I’ve got almost everything prepared. All the family is here, well mostly. We’re just waiting for Michael, who doesn’t know about the dinner; Ted, who is running interference; Brian, and Justin. I head back to the kitchen and check the chicken. It smells great, there is enough food for a small army! 


“Debs!” Ems trills as he returns, having been dumping rubbish. “What else do you need me to do?”


“Set the drinks up, please, honey.” I look at my watch and frown. “He said he wouldn't be late.”


“And they won’t be, but he has been working so hard.  Between you and me, I am worried about him.” Ems sighs, as he leans against the counter. “He is being pulled every which way, especially by his best friends!” He lowers his voice a notch, so I get closer. “Even the ice queen has expressed concern to Teddy.”


“Mel?!” I gasp gazing at her as she cuddles Gus. “Mel is worried about Brian?”


“Uh huh.” He smiles a little. “She stocked his fridge a couple of weeks back when Justin went to visit his grandma with Jen and Molly.” I am stunned. “I know, right? Lindsay said she would shop for him as he was so busy at work. She bought a bottle of Beam and some apples!” 


“For fuck sake!” I hiss, glaring at her back. “Is that all they see?!”


“Apparently.” When his phone beeps, his smile dies as he hands it to me. “This is what I mean.”


I read the text from Michael asking Emmett if he’s seen Brian. He’s been trying his phones, but he’s not picking up. You’d think that as his injured best friend has returned he would be more comforting, especially as he nursing a broken heart as well as a broken leg!


“Jesus.” I sigh, scratch my head, then fix a smile in my face as Lindsay comes into the kitchen. “What can I do for you?”


“Need any help? Where are the rest of your guests? Hopefully Brian won’t be too long, Gus is eager to see his daddy.”


“Ted is bringing Michael, as I said earlier, and Brian and Justin will be…”


“Justin? Justin’s coming? I am surprised by that. I know that Michael would…”


“Doesn't know about the dinner, so has no say on the guests. As for what you can do, nothing, we’re good thanks.” She looks puzzled, but goes back to sit down. As I am arranging the plates, she is looking annoyed. “You okay, Lindsay?”


“Huh? Oh yes, just wondering what is keeping everyone.” 


“Well Ted is waiting for the call from me to say to bring Michael, which I should do now.” I head back to the kitchen, ten minutes later, a grumbling Michael limps in. He brightens a bit when he sees everyone. “Well you didn’t think I was going to let the return of my boy go uncelebrated?!” I declare, bundling him for a hug.


“Thanks, Ma!” He grins, then his face falls. “Late again, I see.”


“Brian is always late.” Lindsay kisses his cheek. “But now that Justin is around, he has been getting later.”


“He will be here when he’s here as usual! Now come on, let’s get the wine opened!” I order, soon we are chattering away, but I can’t help but notice the continued glancing at the door and their phones of Michael and Lindsay.


“Debs, your phone was in the kitchen, you have a missed call from Brian.” Ted calls. “Want me to bring it?”


“No need, I will call him see where he is!” Michael declares, rolling his eyes. He sits back and we wait, but judging by the darkening expression, Brian is not picking up.


“Ted, can you bring my phone, please?” 


“Let me have it, Ted, I will…”


“Have your wine and let Debs call him back…” Ted retorts. “...since he called her and not you.” 


The room goes quiet as I wait for him to pick up. I don't think he is going to when it answers. “So, asshole, where are you?! The food is...oh, Justin. Hi, Sunshine, what are you…” I pause and listen, then nod. “Okay, Sunshine, you take care, okay? Lots of rest, you guys have food there? No? Okay, Ems will bring some, he’s coming now.” I look at Ems who’s looking sadder than earlier. “Okay, bye, sweetheart.”


“Overworked him, has he?!” Michael snips as I hang up.


“No. He’s got a migraine, and…”


“But could still call you to complain about it and have Brian stay to cater to his every whim?” Michael arches a brow. 


“It is Brian that has a migraine. He’s been vomiting, and could barely stand, so Justin made him go to bed. Ems, could you take the other chicken, some of the pasta...”


“He obeyed the orders of Justin? My, how the mighty are falling…” Mel smiles.


“Don’t you mean fallen?”


“No, Michael, she doesn't, and I think she’s right!” I scowl at him. “I think he might just be beginning to love this kid, well as much…”


“Love?! Brian?! What a crock!” Lindsay scoffs. “And actually, I think it would be best if I dropped the food around, and…”


“Come back with potential germs for your Gus?” Mel points out. “Let Ems go, he will do what they need and leave them in peace.”


“I will go! I am...”


“The guest of honour at a meal that it took me all day to make. Sit down!” I exclaim. I glare him back into the seat. He adopts his crossed arms stance with a blazing look, the expression on Lindsey's face is no better.


“I will be an hour tops. Wonder if I should get some pills too? What with Sunshine’s allergies, I doubt they would have any where they are...”


“Surely Sunshine has something that Brian can take if he is sick.” Michael mutters, Ted slaps him across the back of his head. “What the hell, Ma?!”


“Ted beat me to it!” I growl. “You should be grateful!”


“Okay, we have the chicken, pasta, rice, lemon bars, what else?”


“Condoms and lube, they might have run out by the time you get there.” Linsday suggests looking at Michael.


“Oh, good idea!” Ems grins. “Definitely stopping by the pharmacy!”


“I was joking, Ems!”


“Well it’s on you now, isn’t it?” He puts on his jacket. “Oh yes, definitely, a nice relaxant for them...” I can’t help the snicker at her peeved expression, especially when Ems makes a call. “...hey, Sunshine, how is your big man doing? Oh, okay. Look, as well as food, am bringing other essentials, so need to know the size, brand, and…” His voice fades as he heads out, but he never came back. He called me when he got there, said how wrung out they both looked. He had called Jen, she was on her way to collect them, whilst he cleaned the loft.


NEXT AFTERNOON


DINER


DEBS


“Hey Kiddo, oh crap, you look like shit!” I gasp as Brian and Justin come in, Brian has dark circles and is in sweats under his coat, Justin looks and is dressed the same. “What are you two doing out of bed?!” 


“Shouldn’t that be, oh you are finally out of bed?!” Michael grumbles as he limps in after them. “I take it you have recovered? You missed Gus and a lovely meal that Ma took…”


“Michael, Brian is still sick, surely you can see that?! If not, do the world a favour and focus!” Ems raps out as he helps a not objecting Brian into the booth. “I will go back with you two. Who drove?”


“I did.” Brian’s rasps. “Can we have some water please?” 


“I’ll get it.” Justin gets up, but Ems pushes him down before looking at Michael.


“What?” 


“He’s your best friend, remember? For crying out loud, you are standing right by the water jug, he has asked for some. Pour it!” He takes his time turning to the counter, wincing as he does. I go to do it, but Ems shakes his head. People are beginning to tut and tisk at how long he is taking.


“There you go.” He puts half a glass, singular, on the table, then slowly sits opposite them. They look at the glass, then each other. “Don’t you want it?”


“Oh for god sake!” Kiki explodes, before pouring two full glasses. “Do you need something to eat with your pills?” 


“He does.” Brian replies. “I am fine. It’s gone, just dehydrated.”


“Michael, let me out please! And again, focus!” Ems barks. 


“I am focusing, Emmett! But my…”


“No you aren’t, because you are here!”


“Can you please stop shouting, Honeycutt?! Look, here are the keys...” He hands him the set to the jeep then drains the glass. “...eat quick, twat, I need to lie down.”


“Aren’t you going to ask about my evening?” Michael huffs. 


“To be honest, Michael...”


“He spent it being a sulky miserable dickhead all night, according to Teddy, because you weren't there. Why would you want to hear about that? Oh, but there was one snippet of wisdom that was imparted from the queen of the queens!”


“And what was that?” Brian asks, taking a bite of Justin’s toast.


“That you are beginning to love this kid.” Ems trills, the diner goes quieter. 


“You ready?” Brian stands and Justin nods. “And you need to explain focus to him, because that…” He flicks the glass Michael poured. “...pissed me off.” 


They head out the door in relative silence, then Michael snorts. “Lindsay was right, he isn’t beginning to love that kid! And what does focus mean, other than…”


“Go ahead, Ems, I will explain!” Kiki orders, with a kiss to our cheeks he rushes out. “So, first the focus, please do so because it is an acronym. You know what one of those is, right?” He frowns. “An acronym is an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word. So, in this case, focus, means fuck off cos u’re stupid…”


“What?!” He bellows. “Wait until I get hold of Emmett!” He scrambles out of the booth.


“Suddenly he can walk!” Someone sneers, but we can’t see who. “Shame he can’t hear or see what Kinney is saying!” 


“What is that supposed to mean?!” Michael shouts.


“Whilst he didn’t admit it, he also didn’t deny it!” The same voice replies. “And, the one thing Kinney has never done is said that he’s pissed with you!”


“He is not pissed with me! He’s sick, and he’s…”


“Sick when it suits you! Now focus, I want to eat my lunch in peace!”


He turns to me, I just point at the door.

End of flashback


BRIAN


I rub Justin’s knuckle. “I was. You know that, right?”


“Yes, I know. Brian, can I take a punt at something?”


“Sure.” 


“Were you going to ask me to marry you on prom night?” I sigh, then smile at the smart man who I love deeply and nod. “Say it, say it out loud. I want them, especially those two, to hear it.”


“Yes. Yes, I was going to ask you to marry me when we got back to the loft. But we were going to wait until you had graduated college first.”


“Oh my god!” Daph gasps, then rushes to hug us both, followed by Gus, then everyone else. “Wait, wait, the rings, where are they?”


“Think they must have gotten taken in the robbery.” I sigh. “But we have these, and I will…”


“Daph, could you get them, please?” Justin interrupts, she tearfully rushes to her purse and then pulls out a bag. She places it on the table between us, and, once more, Ems is on hand with the tissues. “Take it out and open it.” I don’t know why my hand is shaking as I pull out the box. My heartbeat skyrockets as I open it. Inside are two rings, one green and one blue. “They were what I could afford at the time. When you said you wouldn’t come to the Prom, I was crushed, but you were sure, weren’t you, Daph? You said, 'I have a feeling he is going to be there'...so she made me take them with me.”


“I took them from the hospital that night, as I knew he would be devastated to find them missing.” Daph explains. “So, can I make a best woman suggestion?”


“Oh!” Ems blubbers. “Perfect! Just perfect!” 


“What is?” Jay-Ray frowns.


“The blue for you, Brian, and the green for Justin. To show your commitment to each other. After all, you were in love from the moment you saw each other.” 



BEN


The door is rapped on, another officer steps in, signalling Carl. He gets up quickly, shutting it behind him. The room falls silent as we wait for him to come back. “About the robbery, did you get much back?” I ask Brian, who shakes his head.


The door opens again, a very smug Carl pokes his head back in. “Ben, a word!”


Five minutes later, we both return to our seats. My soul is finally at peace. I feel no guilt for what I am about to say; one, because he never loved me, as has been proven time and time again; and, two, I can finally live up to my hopes and dreams. I slide it off my finger and push it towards Michael. “You can have that back.” 


“You’re leaving me?!” He screeches. “Because you believe this bull…”


“Yes, I am leaving you, because you are a jealous and spiteful little child! You are a master manipulator, a consummate liar, an attempted murderer, and a thief!”


“A thief now is it?! And what exactly did I steal?!” Michael sneers.


“These.” Carl states, as he puts the evidence bag on the table. “Brian, do you recognise the box and contents?”


He looks at them for a few minutes before looking at Michael with such hatred it chills the room. “Yes!” He blazes. “Those were going to be our wedding rings!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.