- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17 - THE CAMERA NEVER LIES


BRIAN


I want to be sick, but then I think back to all his ‘twitches’ as Justin called them. Ben was right, he would’ve ‘casually mentioned it’, knowing what would happen. But this...this, I can’t let him have the last word on.


“How you must have laughed over the years.” I state. “Everyone, sit back down, seems like this is his confessional time.”


“Laughed about what? Be specific, I laughed a lot.” He crows, I feel Justin’s grip tighten as we retake our seats. “And for those of you spouting about how much he loves him, have you noticed he doesn’t actually say it as much to him as he did to me? Maybe that’s because…”


“You kept asking him to say it, so he did to shut you up!” Justin sighs. “I know you don’t love me as much as you claim to love him, but you do love me, don’t you? Don’t you? It was like listening to a riff of Carly Simon’s You’re So Vain. How many times a week did we hear that, people? At least five times?”


“I loved getting him to say it, because you would always roll your eyes! I hoped one day they would get stuck there! So what specifically did I lie about?”


“Grape juice. You said it was grape juice on the door.” I reply, trying to keep from trembling. 


“Oh, that. Oops.” He smirks then puts  his feet on the radiator.


“Take your feet down.” Ted orders.


“Make me.” Novotny retorts, Ted rises. “Try, and I will have you arrested for assault. So I suggest, Mr Meth Head, you sit your stupid ass down instead.” The room goes quiet as everyone watches Ted. “Come on, you can sit, you’re nothing but Brian’s brown noser after all, and…”


“Is worth millions.” Novotny goes wide eyed. “Yep, I am a millionaire many times over, besides I don’t brown nose Brian or Justin. We work in a partnership, which, because of your jealousy, you refused to be part of...”


“What are you on about, Nose Boy?” He grumbles before slowly sitting upright.


“Shut up, you Troll! Can you come in, please?!” I am confused when Christian comes in with a smile and hands him an envelope. “Here it is, signed, sealed, delivered it’s yours!” Ted sings as he slides the envelope towards Ben.


“What is?” Ben frowns as he opens it. His jaw drops as he reads. “Are...are you kidding me? How?” He begins to cry, which causes Novotny to roll his eyes.


“We want you around for a long time.” Ted takes the tissue from Blake to blow his nose. “And the Timothy Ray Brown Foundation has agreed, having looked at your records, that you are a perfect candidate for the treatment that will hopefully eradicate your HIV.” The room is stunned for a few seconds before it erupts into cheers. People rush to hug Ben and Ted, who of course blushes harder before waving everyone away. “Please can everyone sit down?! You are a good man, Benjamin Bruckner. You have questionable taste in some men, but you are a good one. You deserve a chance, so this Nose Boy is paying for it. It was going to be an anniversary present, but now that you and it are separated, let’s call it a freedom present instead. And there is one more thing that I am oh so very happy to do.”


“Ted?” Justin questions.


“To add that to your woes, Troll...”


“Whatever you can bring to my table, I think murder, oh how good that sounds no matter how brief it was, beats anything don’t you?”


“True, it does. But you do realise as your accountant that I will have to show the prior years accounts of jerk@work.com to Ben‘s attorney, since that will have to be factored in the divorce? You know, as it was him who you got the money from as capital in the first place, but told him it was for your store.” Ted’s smile is lethal. “Oh don’t you remember telling me that during one drunken night?”


“When did you become his accountant?” Daph demands. “And what is whatever it is you said?” 


“I became their accountant almost four and half years ago, for the website that he and Ems...where is Ems?”


“Had to take a call.” Debs replies.


“Oh, okay; so it started five years ago.” Ted explains. “They would have couples, singles, groups, or whatever combo get their jollies off on film, send it to them, and then put it on a secure website…”


“This is a thing?!” Judge Russo exclaims.


“If it wasn’t then we couldn’t make money, could we? And when the hell did you become our accountant? I never agreed to that!” Novotny states, but he has this look, which discomforts me.


“Ems, the senior partner in this, asked me to look at the books.” I can’t understand where Ted is going with this! “And all monies that are in individual names belong to just that person?”


“Want me to swear on the bible?” He puts his hand on his long dead heart. “I keep what is mine and he keeps what little is his...I swear to almighty God. You happy, Nose Boy? Now stop avoiding my question, when did you become our accountant?!”


“So very happy.” Ted smiles. “Thank you. Now you can breathe easy, Ben, knowing that he has sworn in front of a judge that he won’t come after you in the divorce. So if you could just auto sign here, here, and here, then speak to said Judge, who I am sure he knows a colleague or two that could help with approving that. And to answer your question, as I just said, you Ignorant Iggy, I have been doing the books for almost four and a half years. Ems hired me to do them as I have a better knowledge of the tax loopholes to make the business more money! As usual, if the name Brian wasn’t mentioned, then you didn’t really pay attention. You got your checks, your meagre rocks off and left everything else to Ems.”


Teddy Schmiddy…” Justin snickers into my shoulder at the use of the nickname and his blushing. “...you sly ole fox, is that what you’ve been heads down all the time doing?”


“Yep. And that's not the only thing!” He beams, then turns to Mel. “Please, Mel, may I do the same for you where superslut is concerned?”


“You may.” She replies, then looks at Novotny, who looks like he is going to combust. “Do feel free to tell her during the arraignment.”


“Hey, Ems, you’ve missed some ballbusting!” Blake giggles as he returns. “Ems, are you alright?”


“Scumbag, you complete and utter dirty rotten scumbag! And knowing how much I love them, you still made me part of it!”


“Ems, seriously, what is it? What has it done?” Mel demands.


“I need to wrap my head around this, but first, Debs, the biggest Harvey, with as much bang as possible, please!”


For Ems to ask for a Harvey means it’s big. And judging by that look on his face, the kids need to be gone.


“Hold on. Jay-Ray, boys, go on up, please?” I order.


“Wait! Tell us what it was, then we leave, Pops.” Gus pleads. “We are going to find out anyway, it might as well be in the privacy of our…” Novotny’s snickering makes my skin crawl. “...our own home.”


“A camera! He’s had cameras spying on you two.” Ems balls his fists. “I got a notification from one of our long term subscribers, which was why I stepped out, asking about the Golden Couple and when their next liaison would be. He also attached his favourite scene of them. I happened to be in the lounge, it was in the lounge. I couldn't understand why you would let someone use Britin for that. The home he bought for his Prince, then it made sense, sick depraved sense! That was why their faces were always blurred and their voices changed, because it is you two. Now…” He takes a swig of his drink. “...who do I show this to? It needs confirming.”


“You can show it to me. I can confirm it.” Novotny laughs.


“Sure you want me that close to you?” Ems growls. His laughing stops. “They want you alive to pay for what you’ve done. I don’t.”


“Me. Give it to me, Ems.” Cyn orders. “Don’t be scandalised, Judge, they are a very passionate and spontaneous couple.” She stares at the screen for a few seconds. “It’s them. That was about six months ago, just after Bora-Bora. Justin still has the henna tattoo.”


“Cynders, can I see that?”


“Hunter, why would you want to?” Cyn holds the phone closer to her.


“For the angle, to see how the camera is pointing, so we can get a location. We won’t get the truth from Fuckhead here!”


“Let me see.” Jen asks. “Like Cyn, I have seen them in flagrante before.” I watch Novotny as she checks the screen. He is almost bursting to tell, but like Hunter says, he won’t. “Try the bookcase, second shelf down, I think that is the corner of the lamp.” Justin rushes out, followed by Hunter. Seconds later, there is a shout of ‘that sick sack of shit!’


“Again….oops.” Novotny sighs. “Honest, I did mean to ask you, Brian. I knew you wouldn’t mind, and you would be able to persuade your always wanting to please you semi broken toy that…”


“Popsy, you need to go to the bathroom!” Hunter bellows. “Guys, with me!”


LOWER BATHROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I am drenched and shaking. Filming us. He filmed us! How long for? Was it just the sex? I vomit once more before rinsing my mouth. I open the door and point to the bowl. He just about makes it. A minute later the door knocks again. “Go away!”


“It’s Christian. I have some iced water.” I look at Brian. He nods so I let him in.


“Thanks. Why did Hunter need the guys?” I smile at him, using the term that Hunter uses to describe himself, Gus, Jay-Ray and Hank.


“Not sure, but he’s asked everyone else to remain in the dining room.” There is yet another knock on the door. “It will be Debs, she said she would bring them, may I let her in?”


“Yeah, but what’s she bringing? If it isn’t a loaded crossbow with a…” He stops to dry heave again.


“Please boys, will you let me in?” Debs calls.


“Yes, Ma, come on.” I reply, we are quiet as she takes in the scene. “So what…”


“First, let’s get him off his ass!” Debs orders. Between us, we get Brian to sit on the edge of the bath. “Love makes us blind, doesn’t it?” We nod, whilst taking in the ramifications of this latest blow. “Change of clothes. There must be a name for the reflex sweat, when stressed, as you both do it. I know you two don’t mind the commando thing, so just a top and jeans from the last time you stayed at ours. Now go have a shower. I am sure there’s more to come, but at least you’ve got rid of this shit!”


“Never has a truer word been so eloquently said.” Christian smiles. “I will bring the toiletries...oh, do you think that he filmed you both in here?” Brian and I start to smile.  “So that would be a no, but why not?”


“Anytime he was here, we would lock this room and the master bedroom.” Brian sighs. “If only we followed our gut feeling and checked! You said that one time you felt like we were being watched!”


“Hindsight.” I declare, then step back. “Now swill and brush so I can kiss you!” Once he does, we melt into each other like we always do, the soft click of the door shutting breaks us apart. We just hold each other for a minute. “Hindsight okay?”


“Mmm, okay. Let’s, as Ma said, wash this away.” Brian declares.


AN HOUR LATER


HUNTER


We’re all back in the dining room, waiting for Popsy and Uncle J. Between Gus, Hank, and I, we’ve been making sure that Jay-Ray does not interact with him. Not, of course, that he’s been making that easy. They don’t look at him as they retake their seats.


“Pops, Poppa, you okay?” Gus asks as he gets up to pour them fresh drinks.


“Yes, Sonny Boy, we are over the initial shock.” Uncle J replies. “So we are where now?”


“Here now.” I declare, then march over to him and snatch up his phone.


“Give me that back!” Fuckhead shrieks, but I keep on doing my thing. 


“Okay. Christian, can you connect my phone to the main system, please, whilst I do the same with Fuckhead’s?”


“Of course.” Together we get them connected, and their website is showing, 


I navigate to the proprietor’s library, then stop. “Can someone take Jay-Ray and Hank out?”


“I will.” David declares. “I have no desire…”


“To see what you couldn’t measure up to?” Fuckhead smirks.


“He’s already seen my dick.”


“And how was that?! When was that?! How could you?!” 


“Simple, you hypocrite, I got fed up with your constant mooning over him, and went to the baths. We bumped into each other. Nothing happened except a promise that we would never mention it, but now there’s no reason not to.” David states, then turns to Ben. “So, twice was it? How did you sit?”


“Three times. We did it in the shower in the morning. I stood for the rest of the day.” Ben chuckles. 


“So, Auntie Ems, can you guide me? I am guessing you provided the capital, and he ‘insisted on doing the dirty work’?” 


“I put up 70%, he did the rest, well Ben did, and yes, yes he did. Okay, so you need to go to settings, then Entertainers, and then look for the Golden Couple.” The room is quiet as I carry out his instructions. “Load cameras, and that should...oh my goodness.” 


“Kemp. Fitson. How many are out there?!” Judge Russo demands.


“Not enough for all of that.” Fitson whispers.


“Then we do it in stages! Like I said, Novotny, I have back up! How many floors are there?”


“Almost three, we don’t use the top floor much.” Uncle J replies. “If only I didn’t want you to live, knowing that we’re happy!”


“But I’ve been living for the last few years knowing that I was making you miserable! And unless the court ordains, or you grow some balls, will keep doing so!” He smirks. “My partner in grime got lucky with the lounge, you won't find the rest. Not without my help. Now the question is, am I feeling helpful?”


“Get up Sunshine, need to see something.” Nobody speaks as he stares at the screen. “Let’s start here. It’s where you go to paint when you get blocked. Look the camera is pointed at the easel, but down, so…” He glowers at Fuckhead before thundering up the stairs, but then nothing happens.


“Oh dear, looks like he was wrong, want a hint?” He taunts us.


“Boo you tool!” I raise an eyebrow at Fuckhead as triumphant Popsy’s face fills the screen, then it goes dark. “I think I have worked it out. He’s a very simple tool after all. Watch the screens, people, watch the screens!”


NOVOTNY


I watch as room after room goes dark, and the cheering when it happens rankles. But I take comfort in the secret misery I caused them, the money means nothing. No, the reason I did it will go with me to my grave!! 


“So these will be entered as evidence.” The bulldyke announces, and Columbo nods. “And the site has been shut down and all assets frozen.” 


“Not bothered, what can you charge me with that beats, oh how I love that word, murder?”


“Revenge porn!” Columbo snarls. “You distributed this without their consent like Ems said, and profited from it. I knew you got twisted when you feel slighted, but this. This is...I don’t have the words!” 


“Thank god, then you can shut up, you sanctimonious bastard! And as for you, Melanie, I can understand why she cheated on you, having you harping on all the time, Jesus!” I roll my neck. “So it is the prom bashing, brief murder and distributing revenge porn. Anything else to add to my rap sheet, or can I get out of here?”


“Nope. Nothing. Get that stench out of our house.” Kinney orders, he doesn’t look at me, that pisses me off. “It truly is a pathetic tool.”


“At least I am not hiding behind my fiance, friends, the law and let’s not forget these…” I shake my cuffed hands at Boy Wonder. “...he’s oh, so very brave! Let’s go!” I am feeling euphoric, having once more had the last word.


“Wait, there is one thing I have to say, then you can take him.” He calls out. “And he needs to be uncuffed to hear it...”


“Uncuffed? Okay, I don’t see a problem with that..” Kemp uncuffs me and we turn to Boy Wonder. “So...”


“Want them to stay?” He raises an eyebrow.


“No. I am not afraid of you. Leave us.” I order, then sit down but nobody moves. 


He nods at the door, but still nobody moves. “Stud, I want to tell him, can I?” He leans down, whispers then they exchange a sappy look. “If you lead they will follow.”


“Everyone, please. He needs this.” Kinney kisses its cheek before heading to hold the door open. “Outside. This is his time. Let him have it.” 


The silence stretches on after the door closes. He is just sitting there. “So what do you want to say to me?” I wipe the residue away where they took my prints. He says nothing, just continues to stare at me. “Look, I have a jail cell to get comfortable in, get on with it.”


“I thought I wanted closure after all these years, but now I’ve come to realise that I have it. It didn’t matter who tried to kill…”


“Ahem, for a whole minute I succeeded, remember?” I goad him.


“Let’s not forget that. No matter who it was, I had closure. When I got better and Brian stayed with me to help get better. But the cameras, that’s a low blow, however, I know why you did it.”


“Oh, this should be interesting, do tell.”


“Did you enjoy watching us in Babylon? Did you think I couldn’t feel those lustful jealous looks from shadows?” I blink a couple of times, how did he know that?! “You loved to watch us. But then us being monogamous took that away from you. When we stopped using the backroom for anything other than blowjobs, wanking and kissing, and even then that was on a private bed, you had to find another way to peep at us. How did that feel to see your best friend, the greatest love of your miserable life, worshipping me?! Tell me, last Valentine's Day, how did you feel lying on the bed right after we finished?!”


“He degrades himself with you!” I spit.


“Get it into that thick stupid ugly head, he’s all about the slow burn. Yes we fuck, we have quickies like most couples, but it is the build up he loves. That’s why he loves making love to me and I him. It’s because of the way we get there, slowly but surely. Never the same way twice. Unlike you, who has that one time on a loop in that meagre mind of yours. You were ready to pop in seconds. And that’s why he calls you Trigger. Not an endearing nickname as you thought but a pisstake.” My stomach churns as he leans back in his chair. “But it changed over the years…”


“How so?” I sneer.


“Because he could tell. He could tell when I was on the edge of giving you a pummelling so he’d say ‘let’s go Trigger’ and I’d say ‘way to go Champion’ before you would scamper after him thinking you had upset me once more. Oh the irony of him saving your life, many, many times.”


I blink a few seconds as I take in what he has said. “I am not rising to your pitiful attempts at goading. I am not giving you a self-defense excuse!”


“I have had that excuse for years, remember? Even before we knew it was you who killed me. And your many reminders this evening have not been irksome at all.”


JUSTIN


I head towards him. My steps slow, my eyes never leaving him. He gets up and puts the chair in front of him. “I want to leave now!” He bellows.

 

”I bet you do.” I reply as I track him. “Now who’s the coward? I’ve noticed that about you over time. You would only be snide and snarky when someone else was in the room, a witness if you like, but whenever it was just us, there would be solicitous blissful silence.” He swallows hard and his eyes dart this way and that. “You’ve been in this room many times, we both know there is only one way out and I am in front of it.” 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive.