- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - THE FALLS AND THE SNAKE HISS


MICHAEL


I reach down and rub my knee. It has suddenly started to throb. My thoughts are whirling. It has been so long now. When?! Why?! How?!


“Twinge of guilt?” Ben growls. “I have long noticed your rubbing whenever you have been caught in a lie.”


“This has gone from ridiculous to defamatory! I would ask for your legal advice, Mel, but you are clearly insane like the rest of them! I did not attempt to kill Bo...Justin on his prom night! I was in my apartment, closing it up before meeting you, David.” My heart rate begins to settle as I reiterate my side of the story. “I fell twice, once in the apartment and then at the airport! I called you to say that I had hurt myself, remember?!”


“Yes, you called and said you hurt yourself, but not from the apartment!” David retorts.


“What are you talking about now?!” 


“I called your ex-neighbour, Ryan, remember him? You were preening so much when you first introduced us, declaring that I was your personal chiropractor. Then so furious that he made an appointment for his sudden back ache, when there are other people he can go to! Incidentally, he had an almost ruptured disc. Anyway, back to this; I was desperate, so called him because you weren’t picking up. I was worried you weren't going to come. I asked him to check you were in. After five minutes, he called me back, saying that you weren't…”


“I was most likely on the floor in…”


“A few minutes later he called me again to say that you were coming out of a cab and limping badly.”


“Now just…”


“Then he heard you yelling for help...” David sits down next to Ben. “...and if you were on the floor in agony like you are trying to claim, he would’ve found you. He had a key.”


A key?!


“And now we have finally tracked him down, he’s more than happy to make a statement...a sworn one.” Carl smirks. “So, care to explain?”


“This...all of this ridiculousness, apart from what I told you about my knee, is as likely as Brian being topped by him!” I jab a finger at Boy Wonder.


“He confesses, thought he would spew bullshit for hours!” He sneers.


“That was sarcasm!” I scoff.


“But it’s true. I do top Brian, at least four times a week, and if he's good, twice on Sunday. So why? Was it planned, or a spur of the moment thing?”


Everyone is now staring at them. I start to smile because the expressions on their faces are ones of disbelief. “Yeah, right, of course you do. When was the first and last time then? Everyone, please note the look on Brian’s face!” I crow.


“Sunshine...no, Brian, does he top you?” Ted asks.


My heartrate is settled and the ache in my knee is ebbing away.


“Yes, yes, he does. And in answer to your thoughts, Novotny.”  Brian smirks. “He has done so for 12 years, and we’ve been raw for the last five.”


“And in answer to your question.” Boy Wonder sports that smile of his. “First 13 years ago, and last this morning.”


“This...this morning?” Ted gasps, then starts counting on his fingers. “Thir...you were in college?!”


“Can we focus on his con…” Ma interrupts. “...college?! Where? Not at mine, surely?” 


“No, just in the loft.” Brian smiles. 


“Back to the would-be killer, I want…” Carl interjects.


“Oh, he can wait! So when? How did that happen?!” Ted exclaims.


“Stop this bullshit immediately!” I scream. “You can't, you can’t have let this, this...thing top you, you are the Stud of Liberty Avenue!”


“I was then, and am now, but just for one bubble butted blonde!”


“No, no, I don’t believe you!” I yell.


“We don’t care.” Boy Wonder sneers. 


“I have just remembered something!” Emmett squeals. “That early night all those years ago, Brian, who did you go home to?”


“Who’d you think?” The shithead giggles...he giggles! 


I glare at him, he stares back, just like he did that night in Woody’s...


Start of flashback

WOODY’S - FOURTEEN YEARS EARLIER


MICHAEL


“He is here!” I grumble as I watch his shadow strides in then waves at Brian. “First Babylon, then my house, and now here!” 


“Aww leave him alone, he's not bugging you. I think he's kinda sweet…”


“Sweet?! He's as sweet as vinegar!” I snap, and head to the bar.


“What’s cooking, moody looking?” Emmett nudges me. “Where’s the Stud?”


“By the pool tab...oh, for fuck sake!” I seethe as I see him sauntering across. “Why does he keep encouraging him?!” I demand as Brian smiles and stops playing.


“Come on, have a drink.” Emmett orders, and I signal the barman. “He’s gone.” I feel relieved when I see that Brian has resumed playing and Boy Wonder is nowhere to be seen. “Getting one for him too? Oh, and Teddy.” I nod and we rejoin them. 


We play a couple more frames before Brian looks at his watch. “We going to Babylon, boys?”


“Yeah!” I grin, knocking back the remains of my beer. 


OUTSIDE BABYLON


“Jesus, would you look at the queue?!” Ted exclaims as we come to a halt. “I am not waiting in that! See you guys for breakfast?” 


“Yeah, maybe.” Emmett looks at the queue then Ted’s retreating back. “He had his car, right?” Brian nods then heads to the doorman. They talk for a minute or so before he comes scowling back. “Well?”


“About a thirty minute wait, they are at capacity.” He grumbles.


“That's not that long. Come on.” I tug on his sleeve so he starts to follow. But we haven't even got to the end before he stops. “What?” He is scanning the crowd.


“Nah, not tonight,  Mikey, pickings are slim.” And before I can say anything, he turns heel and strides away.


“Did that just happen? Brian is going home early?!” 


“He’ll be back.” I declare. “Let’s queue.”


DINER - NEXT MORNING


I am trying to tune an excitable Emmett out. He is regaling Ma with his tales of scoring last night.


“Oh, there you are, asshole! Where have you been?” Ma calls out as Brian approaches. He rolls his eyes then heads to the bathroom. “What’s up with him?” 


“Dunno. Get him some coffee, please?” She nods. I try to get out so that I can sit next to him, but Emmett refuses to move. 


“Morning, boys.” Brian smirks as he sits down and gives Ma a quick smile.


“Your mood has improved then?” She grumbles before kissing him on his cheek.


“So, what did you get up to last night?” Emmett queries. “You know, after you ditched us at Babylon?”


“Nothing. Just had an early night.” He sips his coffee and has a small smile playing.


“All by your lonesome, or did you have a certain nymph with you?” Emmett teases.


“Emmett, he doesn’t do repeats, especially not with him.” I retort.


“Oh I don’t know, persistence can reap its own reward!” Emmett laughs then tilts his head. “I may be wrong about that, but The Stud definitely scored with someone last night!”


Brian drains his cup, and, with a salute, but having said barely two words to me, strides out.

End of flashback


“You are lying! Brian went because the queue was too long. Besides, you left before we did.”


“I went to the loft, got naked, and waited. He said he would be 30 minutes tops...pardon the pun.”


“You were naked in the hallway, typical whorish behaviour!” I scowl.


“Don’t be even more of an idiot. I gave him my key!” Brian snaps. 


“Your...your key?!” I feel sick.


“So what was it? What was it that was the final thing for you?!” Ben demands.


“There was no final thing! This is...I have had enough…”


...and that was what I was screaming in my head for the next few months after he came along. No matter where we were, he was there. Boy Wonder just kept hanging around. It was so maddening that Brian would not tell him to go! But then I met David, and when Brian hit on him, I knew he was jealous! So I made it my mission to keep David in my life! Besides, I loved what he gave me, how he treated me like I was his sole focus. 


I remember our first break the weekend of his car accident. David was furious with me later for making us come back, especially when Brian said he told me not to, and Brian never lies does he, he sneered. He was even madder when I said that Ma was sick but I was in Woody’s drinking and singing with Brian, he threw that in my face when he told me to go back to Pittsburgh, I had no idea he came there! 


Then we had the senator’s fundraiser, not only did he turn up and make out with the waiter, but Ma embarrassed me! But it was Boy Wonder, Boy Wonder that had to go one better and get the senator involved in his gay crusade! I watched them go into Ma’s back garden and saw the way they held each other. I fume at the irony of those words he said to him after they shared a cigarette: as long as I have you to protect me.


Then his birthday happened. it was supposed to be just the gang. He was not supposed to be there, but at least he and I were in the same boat for once. He didn’t know about him not going to New York either! He even had the nerve to say that he didn't think Brian would like the cake, wouldn’t find it funny; but Lindsay and I soon had him muzzled, pointing out that we knew him best, not some twink who didn’t take the hint. But I was proved wrong again. I overheard him talking to Ma; he said that he absolutely hated it! And we should’ve known better, especially Lindsay and me!


Even though he said I had become a snob because of David, he came to see me before I went to Paris. Me in Paris! Finally, I had one over on both of them, as Brian had never been and he wouldn't take him! So when it was time for our slide show, not only did they spend the entire fucking time making out, but when Ma said couples making out in front of you…not only did he not correct the ‘couples’ thing, but his reply...it's French, we’re Frenching had me wishing the fucker choked on his tongue as he sucked it down his throat!


After Hank came into the picture, I thought us being fathers...in a way...was finally a way for us to bond, to connect again, but no...he wasn’t interested, neither of them were. And David wasn’t paying as much attention to me. Then when he cheated on me I was so furious, more with Brian because he didn't tell me. By staying out of it, he kept us together, which was the last thing I wanted! 


And then it happened...I saw him lean over the balcony in Babylon to stop Brian from leaving, so got closer to hear what they were saying but couldn't. But what I could see was the crushing disappointment on his face as Brian left. A couple of days later, Lindsay told me that he had asked him to go to his prom but Brian turned him down. Again, we were in the same boat. He didn’t come to ours either. At ours, I hoped he would come, but after an hour it was obvious that he wasn't. So I left then snuck back inside without Ma or Uncle Vic hearing, and cried myself to sleep. The next day I stayed in bed, sick, saying I overdid it the night before. She was so proud, saying I was finally stopping my dependence on Brian.


But one night after dinner in the restaurant we were talking in the loft…


Start of flashback

LOFT - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO 


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


“As I said the first time you asked me, it is a beautiful suit. All your stuff is beautiful.” I laugh. “I am going to miss dropping around when I move. Maybe you should get VC in here so we can talk in the evenings?” He doesn't say anything, still looking at his suit. “Brian, the suit, like you, is perfect, now come…”


“That’s what David is for.” He says. “Not me.”


“Huh?”


“Talking in the evenings. David is the person for that.” 


“But you’re my best friend. That’s not going to change, is it? Brian? Brian, will you listen? What's with you?”


“Hmmm. Oh he...nothing, what were you saying?”


“That us being best friends is not going to change is it? No matter where we are, it will always be Brian and Mikey, right?”


“Best friends. Yeah.” Again he drifts off. It's beginning to annoy me because this is one of our last night’s together! “He asked me to his prom.”


“And…”


“I said I wouldn't be caught dead in a roomful of 18 year olds.”


“Especially now you’re thirty!” I tease.


“You know, I sometimes wish I had gone...to ours I mean. How was it?”


I grit my teeth. “It was great, lots of drinking and dancing. I had…” I watch him staring out of the window, a sense of dread washes over me. “...you’re not going to go with him? Are you?”


“What? No of course not!”

End of flashback


“Novotny!” Carl bellows. “We want answers!”


“Should've let you hang a little longer.” I seethe. “But no, I had to get you down, had to remind you of who you fucking are! Well were!”


“Who is he talking to?” Blake whispers to Ted.


“Brian. He’s talking to Brian.” Ben replies. “If he hadn’t stopped him from scarfing, he wouldn't have been alive to go to the prom. Thereby, saving Justin’s life.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.