- Text Size +

CHAPTER 15 - FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS


JUDGE RUSSO


I look at this execrable thing in front of me and think back to a few hours ago when my phone buzzed whilst at dinner with Theresa, my wife. I was perplexed as to why Melanie Marcus, would be calling me of all people, given our tempestuous court relationship. For the first few minutes, I could not understand what was being said, but then I realised what was happening. She was trying to get me to listen to the confrontation of the attempted killer of Justin Taylor and had to excuse myself.


Like everyone, I was appalled at how little was done to find the perpetrator, and as I listened, my anger rose as much heart broke…


Start of flashback

JUDGE RUSSO’S HOUSE - FOUR HOURS PRIOR


HALLWAY


JUDGE RUSSO


“Roy, for fuck sake…” Theresa begins, then sees my expression. “...what is it?” She whispers. “Put it on speaker.”


“...However, you told Ted, and he told Mel in this email that you got all of your deposit back for having left a spick and span apartment…”


“Who’s that?” Theresa asks.


“Detective Horvath of the 57th.” I reply. “Now I want you to hit record and keep that phone on charge, I am going to the office to get the papers I suspect we will need…”


“We are going to the office, there is a charger in your car. Dinner can wait!”

End of flashback


“Detective Horvath, how long until they get back here?” I smile at him. We have been in court many times. As well as being very thorough, I have a lot of respect for him.


“About an hour, Your Honour.” He replies. Novotny looks at Officer Fitson before shifting in his seat. “I think…”


“That he can be allowed to go.” There are astonished gasps. “I mean it, take your stuff and leave!”


“Is this a joke?! Are you serious?!” He jumps up, then snatches up his bag and keys. He strides to the door before pausing to snicker. “A judge didn’t believe this shit...I am going to sue you for defamation of character amongst many other things! Can you arrange for the rest of my belongings to be sent to me, Your Honour?” His smile is so obsequious, so I return it with equal vigor. “Thank you, see you lot of assholes in court!” 


After he slams the door behind him, all eyes turn to me, Mel’s blazing fiercely. I shake my head and smile, her jaw drops. “Yes, Ms Marcus, I brought back up. Officer Fitson, could you return the prisoner to his seat?!” I chuckle as she starts to sprint out. “Officer, maybe take that one with you!”


“Oh yes, get up, you’re done here!” She hauls Peterson to her feet, who is wisely silent and unresisting. “Where are they being taken for processing, Your Honour?” 


“Where…” I begin just as the door opens. A shellshocked and handcuffed Novotny is led back in without his bag or keys. “...ah, thank you, Officer, could you take that, please? I suspect you would rather be here, Officer Fitson?” She gapes before nodding. I smile as the door closes behind Peterson. “As I asked before, return him to his seat!”


MICHAEL


I am cold, so very cold all over. And my knee is starting to ache again.


“For the confused amongst you…” Judge Russo begins. “...due process had to be followed. So we have another 45 minutes till they arrive. Actually, move him to the corner. He has no right to sit at this table.”


“Thank you, Your Honour.” I glare at the person who took away my best friend, my family, friends, sanity, and now, my freedom. “So what happens next? Does the evidence stand? It’s not as if he’s going to tell us what happened after he tried to kill me, is he?”


“Yes, it does, so why waste the energy trying to get it out of him?  Now, judging by that box, someone is getting married! Who is it?!”


“Brian and me.” He smirks.


“Oh, that is the perfect end, so let’s talk about that!” 


“It’s hurting isn’t it?” Officer Fitson’s sneer stops my rubbing. “There is a cop on the other side, you can try, but you won’t get far!” Fitson hisses before going to sit down. 


Everyone has their back to me. I am still looking at the door when I hear the words from Sonny Boy Jnr that tear my soul asunder. “Come on, Pops, Papa, put your rings on! Are you going to use the wedding ones from…”


“Before? No.” I feel the heat of Brian’s hatred. “They will be destroyed. Justin and I will design new ones together.”


I look at the floor, tears pouring down my face, wishing I could go back in time and hit him harder. My knee feels like it is on fire, my stomach burbles and I am taken back to that night…


Start of flashback

MICHAEL’S GARAGE - PROM NIGHT - FIFTEEN YEARS AGO


MICHAEL


I'm almost biting through the steering wheel, I am in so much pain! I can't believe he did that! He tried to protect him! Him! That waste of spunk! I reach into the compartment and almost sob in relief! There is one advantage of being the best friend of the Stud of Liberty Avenue, which is the residuals from his benders! I try and keep my leg still as I tip out a few pills, ‘take these and you feel nothing’ is what I remember him saying once about the blue ones, so I take three of them and wait.


Ten minutes later, I gingerly touch my knee and it is not too bad. I pick up the bat, which I had been using to help me push the gas pedal, and toss it in the back. Slowly, I get out of the car, scowling at the mess inside, once again the fault of Spunkboy! Brian and I picked this together, then found the garage to keep it safe, but since Spunkboy arrived, he’s not visited. I took ages building the bar for just the two of us. When he first saw it, he promised not to tell anyone about it. I slam the door and hobble to the stool. I am about to pour a drink when my phone flashes, it’s David. 


“Fuck!” I exclaim when I see the time. Looking around, I spot the jeans I brought to wear ahead of our last hurrah drive, again, just the two of us. I spent ages getting the car perfect, but again Spunkboy got in the way! 


I inch the bloodstained jeans off, before cutting them up to make kind of strapping for my knee. David keeps calling and calling, but I can get back to him. First, I need to get back to my apartment, as I realise I left my ticket in the security box downstairs! 


“Finally…” I bitch as he lets up and I can call a cab. “...okay, ten minutes, got it.” I smile and hobble around to get the bottle of Beam. I take a swig before slamming it down. “For fuck sake, David!” I snarl, but it is not him, it is Brian. With a grin, I send it to voicemail. 


AN HOUR LATER


I have got my ticket and am on my way to the airport. Brian hasn’t called back since, most likely, drowning in grief, but as I settle back in the seat, ready for my new life, all I can think is, how do I explain my injury?!


PLANE TO PORTLAND


“Honest, David, I will be fine. It’s most likely just badly bruised, I did land very hard.” I reassure him, as I drift off to sleep with the combination of booze, the blue pills plus the painkillers they gave me, I think, oh yes! A home run indeed!

End of flashback


“I did not!” David’s yell startles me. “Jesus, you just are unbelievable!”


“What?!” I snivel. I am met with cold, hate-filled looks. “Why him, Brian?! Why did you have to become more perfect for him and not me?!” 


“I am not fucking perfect! But unlike you, he accepted it then and does now!” 


“I just wanted it to be us again, the gang, not him, never him!” 


“You were moving to Portland!” Spunkboy shouts. “How did you plan to get back to the Pitts to comfort your best friend whilst he was grieving for the loss of the only love of his life?”


Brian gasps before blushing. “When did you hear me say that?!”


“When you met me at the loft after you gave me your keys. It was in the morning, you left me in bed before going to work. You thought I was still asleep and touched my hair, before whispering that I would be the only love of your life because I made you want to tear up the rulebook, nobody else had and nobody else will!”


Before I can say anything the door opens and an Officer steps in. “Unit’s here.”


Judge Russo stands up. “Mr Kinney, Mr Taylor, could you follow this Officer so that we can take your prints and blood sample respectively please?”


“With pleasure.” Brian replies before they both leave. The silence envelopes me like a tomb.


“How long will it take?” I whisper, but nobody answers.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kinid adn constructive if reviewing. Thanks.