- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - DOCTOR DOCTOR THIS IS THE NEWS


DAVID


I watch the man I loved and see the monster that he really is. He has this far away look on his face. “Must have really stabbed you in the guts.” I call out, and he zones in on me.


“What ridiculousness do you have to add to this party?” 


“That he didn’t recognise you. After all of those years of friendship, closeness, whatever the hell you thought you had, he did not recognise you, because he was focused on Justin. In the article he said didn’t see the attacker as it was so dark; that he hit him to stop him from escaping.” I nod at the cop in front of the door. “But that wasn’t what he wanted to say. He wanted to say that the attacker was some no-mark dickhead; who tried to kill my boyfriend.”


“And that was because of you.” Everyone turns to the door as Hank comes in with a smile. “Yes, Novotny relied on two things: his relief at having his best friend finally talking to him again, and his image. And Novotny told Uncle Brian not to say that. I suspect you were ‘holding his hand all the way’ when he was being interviewed to make sure he never said anything to the contrary.”


“Stud?” Justin turns his face to him. “What are they talking about.”


“Oh my fucking god!” Brian gasps staring at Hank who grins back. “You're right?! How did you…”


“First, we didn’t think it would ever be him!” Hank explains. “But then I met Gus at school and got to know him. It was about the 12th anniversary I think when we first met…” Hank sits next to me nodding. “...yeah. Gus was bummed as his Papa had said no again. We were at the GLC; think I had been in school a year or so. I was by myself, so Jay-Ray dragged me into the group she was with. In fact, it is because of me that there is a Hunter and Gus.I got them together! Oh sorry, back on topic, can I take it away, G?”


“Please.” Gus replies and rests against Hunter, whose kiss to his forehead is scowled over by his supposed Mother and Uncle. 


“...so yeah the person Uncle Brian said that to was Novotny.” Hank continues. “And I overheard it. I never thought anything of it until I got to know my best buddies.” I look up again as the door opens and Hank beams. “I got to know them, we talked about what happened, and things didn’t add up.” Hank glares at what could’ve been his stepfather as his actual one sits next to him. “You would say one thing to one person, then something different to another. So one night we got together and compared notes. I told Gus what I overheard, and…”


“You have always hated me!” Novotny snaps. “Because I took what you thought was your rightful attention from your father!”


“He didn’t hate you then!” I snarl. “Okay, truth be told, the only time he liked you in Pittsburgh was when you bought him the comic. He liked you more in Portland because you were away from what we considered a bad influence. But you became even worse after your recuperation, especially when he wouldn't visit because he was helping Justin, whose need was greater. And besides you have David now. Weren't those your exact words, Brian?”


“I did say that to him. How do you know that?”


“He bitched it out one day. It was a couple of months before we split up and I sent him home, but I remember the day I found out the truth…”


Start of flashback

DAVID CAMERON’S OFFICE - FOURTEEN YEARS PRIOR


DAVID


I rub my temple and sigh. Okay, I get it, he meant well and I have been really busy, but he still should’ve told me he had turned my alarm off! I have had to reschedule my already busy week, which impacted our trip to Pittsburgh at the weekend, in that we now can’t go as the appointments that I missed from today had to be rescheduled for then. Now he is sulking, completely missing the point that if he had told me then I could’ve had a plan in place. I flick open the paper and spot another article. “I really hope they find the guy. Justin did not deserve it. Neither, if truth be told, did Brian.” 


I still feel guilty over the joy I felt when he told me he deleted Brian’s info because he wanted to concentrate on me. Although I was surprised when he said Brian understood. My cell rings again, sighing I reach for it, then frown as Captain Astro flashes on screen. This is Michael's phone, I am tempted to let it roll to voicemail but curiosity gets the better of me...it must be harmless since we don’t have codes on our phones right.


“Mikey, what the fuck?!” I clap my hand over my mouth as the tear filled voice of Brian blasts into my ear, so I switch to speaker. “Why haven’t you answered my calls?! I need you, it is so hard! Imagine for one second it was David?! Are you still coming this weekend? Justin is going to be with his Mom. I will see him for a couple of hours in the morning before you land.” He goes quiet for a few seconds as his phone beeps. “Oh for fuck sake, you aren't coming now?! Oh how he must have enjoyed sending that, why did you give him my number?! He never had it before. Of all the times to do this! Surgery aside, you can make one fucking phone call. Michael, I’ve always been there for you. I’ve supported you, even when I didn’t agree with it. I made sure to keep you with David. I made the spectacle at your birthday to make you chose David. So is that payback, is that why you gave him my number?! I couldn’t have been happier for you to be happy with him, to be a family, even though it isn’t my thing. Dammit, you have to know how difficult it is seeing him...” He pauses and weeps for a few seconds. “...I know everyone says I am heartless but I’m not, not when it comes to him. Always be...always be Brian and Mikey, do you remember saying that in the loft? You know that despite what I said to everyone, seeing that happen to him, and I couldn’t get there to stop...”


“Brian, it’s David...”  


“Well congratulations, Doc, you win, though you listening in on a phone call is a bit controlling, don’t you think?!” 


“I am not listening in. I have Michael’s phone because I picked it up by mistake. We have the same ones…” 


“How very couply of you!” 


“Brian, how is Justin?” I ask.


“What do you care?! Tell Mr Cameron-Novotny soon to…”


“Brian, how is Justin?” I raise my voice slightly. “I haven’t heard anything from Michael about him. Has he seen one of the trauma specialists?” He goes quiet. I check to see if he has hung up, but he hasn’t. “Brian?”


“What trauma specialists?”


“I gave Michael a couple of names for you. Wait, let me call you on a landline, can you give me a number? I need to check something. Please?”


“Sure.” He gives me his number.


“Thanks, give me half an hour.” 


Scrubbing my face I go through Michael’s phone. He lied. There are countless messages from Brian and hundreds of texts; none of them returned. I pull up my cell account on my laptop, there is the last text. It is a group one, telling everyone that we aren't coming this weekend because of a schedule mix up, people like Debs and Vic have replied trying to rearrange it. I check the deleted items and there is a number I don’t recognise, but have a hunch whose it is. I call Brian back.


“So what crow do you want to…”


“Have you heard from Debs and Vic about the weekend?” I interrupt.


“No, why would she call me? She knows how this week has been.” I ball my fist and wonder what the hell Michael is up to. “Cameron?”


“Brian listen to me, I need your email address and for you to open your inbox, will you do that?”


“Yeah. But I am not in the mood for your dick pics!” 


“You, have already seen my dick remember? Now email address…” He gives it to me and I compose one to the trauma specialists, copy him in and hit send. “...did you get it? The email? They will reach out to you, I will make sure they do.”


Yeah, yeah, I got it. Uh, he is getting better, but has bad days. This week has been especially bad…” I have never heard him sound so vulnerable. “...he gets frustrated because of his hand,  and…”


“His hand?” I frown.


“Yeah, he can't draw as well as he could before…”


Two hours later, he called me back sounding hopeful. An appointment has been made with  the specialist, and he has ordered a computer that assists with drawing. I shut my office down, feeling both physically and emotionally shattered. Michael said that Brian never called him. He always called him, and when they spoke it was him talking about the sucking and fucking he was doing. He said that Justin understood he had needs. When I get home, Michael doesn't seem to be sulking as much as he was when I called the house earlier telling him about the rescheduling. Hank is in the kitchen doing some food, he looks relieved to see me.


“So how much of the weekend is left for us?” Michael demands as he limps over to a chair from the den, I catch the roll of Hank’s eyes. 


“Saturday evening and all of Sunday. Can I have my phone, please? I picked yours up by mistake when I was rushing out this morning.” He limps back to the den muttering. “You okay?” I ask Hank.


“He’s been in bed all day, either reading comics, watching movies or sleeping. I have been running up and down. I had to miss practice, can one of you finish off the pasta, please? I mean, he’s been so pissy that I am tempted to break his other knee cap!”


“Sure, why not go see your Mom?” I suggest and he looks surprised. “Called her earlier and said to maybe expect you.”


“Can I go to the movies with Brent when I get over there then? We really want to see the new…”


“Fine.” I smile then chuckle as he tears out of the room. 


“Be careful, Hank!” Michael gripes as he makes his way back. “Here. Did you use my phone?” He queries. “I used yours to tell the guys we weren't coming before I realised.”


“How did you realise?” I grab a beer out of the fridge. 


“Oh, Ma replied, calling me by your name. When did you get Emmett and Ted’s numbers?”


“Before we left Pittsburgh. They were your emergency contacts, remember?” He nods and we swap devices. “So, Hank is going to his Mom’s, or more accurately out with Brent. How is your leg, did you manage to do the exercises?”


“Some. Are you going to jump in the shower? Hank can finish off dinner before he...”


“No and no. I need to decompress for a while. The pasta just needs seasoning from what I can see, so you can do that.”


“Me? I have an injury!” He exclaims.


“To your leg, not your arms.” I clip out. “Actually, I will hit the shower. Be about half an hour.”


Once I get to the bathroom, I check my phone again. Hoping for the best, I call  the number that I scribbled down before I left work. 


“Hey, doc?” Brian answers quietly. “Give me a few secs. Justin is asleep. Mrs Taylor, can you get in here?” There is muttering and laughter. “No, do not tell him you heard him snoring!” He whispers, then I wait for him to get to where he needs to be. “Okay, what’s up?”


“Where are you?” I ask.


“His mom’s. Told him about the appointment and the computer. He’s not feeling them, but I will persuade him in my own unique way. I can't speak for long, dinner is almost ready.” I marvel that this is Brian Kinney I am talking to! “How is Michael?” 


“Grumpy.” I sigh. “How the hell did you put up with him sulking?!  And how did you know it was me?”


“Saved the number earlier. And it depends on the kind. Silence, muttering, or a combo?” 


“Combo.” 


“Leave him to pull his head out of his ass. He is wrong, knows it but doesn't want to admit that. He will be back to being your Kenford in a day or so.” I chuckle. “Look, thanks for earlier…”


“Anytime. I mean it. Call me…”

End of flashback


DAVID


“It was because he didn't.” I see everyone’s confusion. “Brian never called me after that because Justin started to get better. He got better than better. He was almost back to his best, and that pissed you off, Novotny!” I take a sip of wine. “Justin wanted, and always will want to make Brian proud. You were so pleased when I said you and Brian should reconnect, but then you moaned every time Brian called with updates, saying how well Justin was doing, whilst you were using your leg as a reason to do nothing. I got sick of it…”


“So you sent him home.” Hank cuts in. “To the one person that he thought would make him the centre of his universe, but he didn’t, did he?” He glares again at Novotny. “How was Pride all those years ago?”


“Pride?” Novotny frowns. 


“Yeah, you in that dress, whilst Justin marched with his mother!” Hank pulls out a crumpled piece of newspaper and slides it across to Debs. She takes it, then shares it with Jennifer.


“Jesus, you made an even uglier woman!” Debs declares. “But I was so blind to your faults. You were just a coward then, but you are an arrogant one now. Thinking that screaming and shouting, like you used to, is going to work. No it won’t. So you, handsome devil, how are you, Brandon?”


“Great. So have you told them what tripped it for you, Hank?” Brandon smiles.


“This is…” Novotny tries again.


“Pops had to retire when he almost lost his leg falling on the ice…” Hank swallows hard, to this day, the crunch of his leg and his screams still echo. “...I asked him about it, he wouldn’t talk about it for years. He is lighter than Novotny and didn’t cause as much damage. And that’s because he, Uncle Brian, didn’t hit you with a bat…”


“I didn’t?” Brian looks around the room.


“No, you hit him with a blunt instrument, something heavy.” Brandon replies. “According to reports, after you hit him, you ran back to Justin.”


“Yes I did.” 


“Jesus…” Debs mutters. 


“So I showed his x-ray to a guy I know, and he agreed. No way was that from a fall alone, it would've been from very high up and you land on that leg alone to…”


“Can we stop talking about his injury for a minute?” Debs interrupts. “Sunshine, you doing okay?” Justin is looking a bit nauseous, then nods. “Where did you find the x-rays?”


“In the attic before they got married, I thought they belonged to Pops, so that’s how we got talking about his injury…”


“And to think you called him that stupid kid!” Debs seethes.


I smile, as to this day, this is a relationship I cherish. Despite us splitting up, she was the first person to come around when we moved back. I remember seeing her on the street and that shriek; then almost booking an appointment for myself after she hugged me. Ironically, Novotny tried to show me as the pining lover when he found out I was back, but that was squashed as I had met someone else…


Start of flashback

WOODY’S - TWELVE YEARS AGO


DAVID


“What the hell are you doing here? Stalking me?!” I look up at the not-missed snarl of Michael. “Brian! Guys, look who’s suddenly back in town!”


“Doctor, doctor, give me the news.” Brian drawls. “You look well. How long you in town for?” 


“Uh, Brian…” Michael looks puzzled.


“Until he gets transferred, I have moved back. I…” 


“Hi, babe, sorry I am late. Want a beer?” I am interrupted by the reason for my return: Brandon. The new signing for the Penguins, who, like me, is very much in the closet for now. He leans across to kiss me hello. “Who are your friends? This is a cool place.” 


“Oooh!” Emmett gets close to him. “Now you are gorgeous...how so?” He gestures between the pair of us. “I am Emmett, and you are?”


“Brandon. Nice to meet you. And wowsers he did you wrong!” He is gawking at Brian. “You are beautiful!”


“This I know.” Brian leans on the table. “But what I don’t know is why you were talking about me, Doc? Where did you find him? Care to share?”


“No. He’s a Pittsburgh native, but played in Portland. He has signed with the Penguins. We’ve been seeing each other for…”


“A year. Quietly.” 


“He was out and proud with me.” Michael scoffs.


“And look what happened there.” Brandon snipes back. “So drinks?” 


“No thanks. Me and my friends are leaving. Aren’t we guys?” Michael declares his face riven with jealousy. Then suddenly he smiles when Brian lights up. “What, or should that be who the hell have you seen?!” He demands.


“Ooh, Sunshine, over here!” Emmett hollers, then rests his chin on his hand whilst looking between Brian and I. “So Stud and Doc, is it true?”


“What?” I look at Brian who, whilst looking as confused as me, is still smiling as Justin gets to our table. “Hi, Justin, you are looking great. Still having the appointments?”


“Hi, David. I am, and thanks, for sending him the information, about them I mean.” He rests against Brian, Michael’s nostrils flare. “If only I could remember more…”


“It will come back when you’re ready. That”s what they said, right?” Brian reminds him before looking at his watch. “Okay, guys, let’s get a drink, then we have to get going…”


“To Babylon!” Michael chirrups. “It has been so long since…wait, you sent him the specialist information, David? Why?” He folds his arms.


“Because they could, and are helping him. Why didn’t you?” I return.


“I was recovering too! I forgot, most likely, with all the shock of it!” He fumes.


“It’s a blow to the head that causes amnesia, not falling over twice.” Justin retorts with a glare. 


“Justin, stop it. Let’s agree that you both suffered major trauma, please?” Brian sighs.


“Yeah, let’s do that.” Justin grumbles, which is followed by an uncomfortable silence.


“Aren’t you going to say sorry, Justin?” Michael demands.


“I am as sorry as you are forgetful. Be right back, need the bathroom.” Justin is gone before anyone could stop him. 


“Seems like Sunshine has more flame these days, that’s for sure. But back to me asking my question, are blondes more fun?” Emmett’s fingers drum against his cheek.


“Depends on the blonde and the fun.” Brian returns, watching for Justin.


“That’s as maybe, but brunettes are remembered better the next day.” Michael carps. “And often never forgetten.”


“And often for the wrong reasons.” Ted mutters before turning to a bemused looking Brandon. “Want some help? I am Ted, the bore of this group…”

End of flashback

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.