- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - HE MAY BE THE BORE...BUT HE’S AN OBSERVANT ONE!


MICHAEL


My head is spinning. I need to think! If I can just get my thoughts in order and my ducks in a row, I can get out of this. Aaaah, I have it!


“So how come I saved him from the baying crowds in Woody’s? If I was who you say, then I would've left him to be torn to shreds!”


“You didn’t save him.” Ted scoffs. “I was there that night. Oh, Brian was so pissed!”


“What do you mean pissed, as in drunk? What a non surprise!” I snark.


“No, pissed as in mad.” Jennifer looks so proud, as does Ma. She has never looked at me like that. “Justin took a bus from home to the loft, but Brian wasn't in. He was at work, before you say he was having it away with some nameless trick, and he did it all by himself. Didn’t take his phone or anything, just got up and went.”


“I just wanted to see him.” Boy Wonder smiles. “I was desperate. I couldn't sleep, I just wanted to sleep.”


“I saw him walking down the street and called Brian. He told me to keep an eye on him but not to approach.” Ted continues. “To this day, I don't know why. Care to explain?”


“By helping him, you hinder. Although I was livid, I knew it was part of the healing process for him, getting his independence back. The guys in Woody’s weren't baying, like you hoped, they were shielding. Keeping the out-of-towners away until I could get there.”


“Ah, I see. And the out-of-towners wouldn't have known anything if you hadn’t bitched about him being there, Novotny.” 


“Ted, I won't have...”


“Couldn’t sleep without him, what do you mean?” Mel interrupts.


“Brian was sleeping at our house, on the sofa I might add!” Jennifer laughs. “I wanted to keep an eye on him, to make sure he was eating. A rather brilliant idea of yours, Debs.”


“Why, thank you!” Ma snorts. “I knew if I kept badgering him, he would retreat, so called in another mother to help my boy.”


“Our boy.” Jennifer corrects her with a sickening smile.


“But what about the loft? Your reputation?” I stammer.


“What about them? My only concern was getting Justin better, and if it took me sleeping on the sofa and not having full sex for a few months, then so be it.”


I look across at Lindsay and she looks as surprised as I feel. “I don’t believe it, you seriously didn’t…”


“No, he didn't.” Jennifer snaps. 


“But I found you in Babylon the night I came back!” I exclaim. “You were…”


“Getting a blow job. Actually, if I remember correctly, it was a double header. Had to tell one to cover his teeth.”


“You never told me that!” Boy Wonder chuckles.


“It was a blessed relief for once…”


“What was?” Jennifer frowns.


“Him turning up. I was bored.” Brian laughs briefly. “But then you got bratty and gave me a reason to go.”


“What do you mean?” I search my memory of that night and can't think of anything; but with my mind being rocked by the last revelation, I am not surprised!


“You wanted to dance, but I didn’t, so you pouted and snapped that I always danced with Justin.” The room goes quiet. “I remember feeling gutshot, angry and hurt. I had to leave before I punched you!”


“You did punch him in the end.” Emmett chuckles whilst I fume. “And I suspect it was because he ran his mouth...again!”


“When was…” Gus begins.


“Excuse me, sweetie, but we need to finish up this part, okay?”


“Okay, Uncle...I mean Auntie Ems.” Gus grins.


“So, Teddy, you were saying.”


“Yes, thanks, Ems. So he was in Woody’s, and a few people, once again because of you being an asshole, were rubbernecking him. One approached, followed by his friend, firing questions at him. Someone called out your name, Brian, then that’s when you came to the rescue, Novotny. You were leaving him there to slowly freak out, figured you must have heard them call the man you love and loathe in equal measure!”


“Would you like a bucket?” Mel asks looking at Lindsay. “You are looking a bit peaky. No, actually I think the best way to describe you is sickened. And I have seen that expression before, the first time was at Gus’s first birthday party.”


“Why would I be sickened then or now?!” Lindsay bites back.


“Because he left. He took Justin home.” Mel smirks and I blink rapidly. “You were so busy having a pity party swing that you didn’t notice until you wanted to feed from his breast like a colicky child.”


“Oh ugh Mel!” Ems shrieks and snickers abound. “Now tell us why? Why did you take him home? One minute you were there, and the next you weren’t.”


BRIAN


“The bat.” Justin whispers. “Gus was playing with the bat, and I was taken right back for a second. The cuddle calmed me down a bit, but you insisted that we go.”


“Technically, it wasn’t home then…” Jennifer grins. “...you went to the loft.” 


“It was closer.” I point out, then catch Justin’s eye and wink.


“What? What happened?” Jay-ray demands.


“Nothing. Nothing at all.” I reply quickly.


“Yes. Yes, it did. Waaaaiiiiitttt!” Ems drawls. “Oh my god, was it then?!” Justin and I exchange looks. “Sorry, Jay-ray, but I need to hear this. I need to know when the Stud and his Prince reconnected!” 


“And we don’t!” Jennifer giggles. “Come on, let’s go and check on the things we need to check on.” 


“Speak quickly!” Jay-ray huffs as she follows Jennifer and Carl out.


“What about Gus and Hunter? This is not suitable for their ears either!” Lindsay declares.


“Oh, bugger off! If you don’t want to hear, then you leave! You have long lost the privilege of parenthood!” Ems snaps. “So what happened?” He pulls out his phone, presses a few buttons, and slides it up the table. I frown. “Recording it, so enunciate!”


“Hank, Gus and Hunter…” Jennifer suddenly calls out. “...we need your help too, please!”


“Dangit!” Hunter grumbles, and reluctantly they head to the door before Hunter turns back to the table. “Auntie Ems…”


“No!” Lindsay snaps.


“As Ems just said, bugger off! Think I am mad now, wait till I get you in court! It’s a good job you didn’t charge anything when you were hustling yourself around!” Mel snarls. “Now continue, Brian.”


“Nicely put!” I snicker at Lindsay’s shell-shocked expression. “So, my Prince, can I tell them?”


“Yes. Yes you can.”


“When we got back to the loft, I insisted that he took a nap…


Start of flashback

THE LOFT - SEVEN MONTHS AFTER THE BASHING


BRIAN


I look across as I tidy up the kitchen, he’s still sleeping. Putting away the water and switching the lights off, I turn at the rustling as he slowly sits up. Soon the only light in the loft is the blue one above the bed, I feel his eyes on me as I come towards him.


“You feeling better?”


“Uh hmm.” He shifts slightly so I can sit next to him. “Thanks.”


“What for?”


“Letting me go to sleep…”


“You really freaked me out.” I interrupt, as I stroke his knee, the therapist said to say how we are feeling, when we are feeling it.


“You?” He looks stunned.


“Yeah, you had that look you would sometimes get in your sleep; like you were replaying…”


“I remember you calling my name, warning me.” He says it so softly I have to lean closer to hear. “You truly saved my life. You never told me that.”


“I guess I forgot.”


“I’m glad I remembered.” He smiles gently and shuffles closer.


I hold my breath. His kiss is brief, featherlight, but oh so sweet! We haven’t touched each other in months, but I know he has touched himself. At first, when I realised what he was doing, I was devastated that he hadn’t come to me, but then I began to understand it. He needed to feel sure within himself. I return the kiss, just as brief, just as light. He gazes into my eyes before leaning closer.


“I want you inside me.” 


My mouth goes dry, my heart is almost out of my chest. I struggle to keep my tone calm when all I want to do is whoop and pounce. “Are you sure?”


“Yeah, but go slow okay?”


“Like the first time?” He answers me with a longer and deeper kiss. “Okay.”


“Kiss me like you did then.” He moans. I almost weep with relief, then feel more joyous as our tongues dance their familiar dance. I slide my hand up his naked thigh and touch the hem of his top, just as he pops the button my shirt, I wait for him to slide it off my shoulders and onto the floor. My gasp pierces the room when my nipple puckers as his trembling fingers brush against it. “Jeans off.” He tugs on my waistband. “Brian?” He frowns when I don’t go to remove them.


“Give me a second or two.” I breathe, and although it is at half strength, the sunshine smile is rising, as well as a couple of other things. Feeling more in control, I take off my jeans then tug his top gently over his head. We go back to kissing until our lips are swollen and tender. “Ready?” I whisper. He gives me his answer by taking off his pants and lying on his stomach. 


I peel off mine, then grab the condom and lube. My hands are shaking so much as I slowly open him up. At first, he is a bit tense, but then I hear it; the first mewl of pleasure as he pushes back against my slickening fingers. I kiss his shoulder, then his ear. “Turn on your side, Justin.” He goes still, I fear he will want to remain the way he is, then he giggles. “Ah, yeah, does help.” I chortle as my fingers slowly slide out, the gasp he lets out is such a beautiful sound. 


I am rock hard as I slide the condom on, I put one arm under his head and slowly slide into heaven. His breathing goes choppy for a few seconds, and goosebumps bloom all over his body. Then he turns his head up. “Oh, God, yes, feels so good to have you home.” I gently pull him tighter to me, then start to move. “Uh! Oh! Mmmm!” He cries out with each thrust, all I am thinking is don’t cum yet, don’t cum yet. “Touch me, please touch me.” He pants.


He is dripping as I stroke in tandem with my thrusts. He tilts his head back again, I go to kiss him then nod in understanding. There is nothing but silence as we gaze at each other. I am so close, but want him to cum first. His smile widens and his eyes glitter. “Cum now, please cum now!”


“Oh Christ!” I growl and flick his slit.


“Bri...an!” He wails, seconds later we cum together.

End of flashback


BRIAN


Nobody is saying anything, they are just looking at the pair of us. Finally, Blake clears his throat. “Ems, could you send a copy of that to me, please?”


“Yeah.” Ems sighs as he fans himself. “Whoo baby! No wonder you came back bad as new after that!” 


“You are such a fucking two-face, Emmett!” Novotny snaps. “I believe it was you who said, when your twink toy breaks, get another one!” 


“Uh, no. Ems never said that, that was you.” Ted retorts. “I remember it distinctly. It was in the diner, we met for a late brunch, and having heard that now, I know why you guys overslept! Seriously, how did you…”


“Teddy, focus!” Ems chides him with a smile.


“Yes, sorry. It was me and Ems trying to recover. Brian and Justin had just gone. Debs, lucky for you, wasn’t working, because you would have gotten mullered, as would anyone who said that about Sunshine in her presence!” 


“You alright?” I ask Justin, who has an odd expression on his face.


“Yeah, when did you change the locks?”


“To the loft?” I think for a bit. “About a month before Gus’s party, why?” 


He smiles. “Because I think I know another reason he would say shit about me.”


“I have never spoken shit about you!” Novotny spits. 


“Do you think we are descendents of Helen Keller?!” Ted blasts. “When haven’t you spoken shit about Justin?! At first, the little digs and asides, with that tinkling laugh and ingratiating smile I took as jokes, but over the years, I saw them for what they were: barbs and spears. My god, you do it all the time! It is so ugly, the grotesque look you get on your face when you’re plotting, scheming or running through your Machiavellian spank bank. It has gotten worse over the years.” 


“I do not!”


“Yes you do. You do it so much, it must be a muscle memory, because you are doing it now!” Ted finishes his drink and waves the glass at Debs. With a smile, she fixes him a TTQS...Teddy three quarter spritz...and kisses the top of his head. “So what happened that morning? You came in like someone had pissed and shit in your cereal, and...why did you ask about the locks, Justin?”


“Because I’m the reason. I remember seeing when Michael came back from Portland, that he still had the loft key on that asshat fob of his. The morning after that delicious night, I was up early, trying to sketch without the computer, but my hand cramped. So I took a break and went to the corner shop, but almost locked myself out, because when we got in from the party, Brian gave me a new set of keys to the loft. I also remember the look on your face at the party because he stayed by my side the whole time. All the time during pity party swing you were locked on Brian. Almost willing him to look at you, you were so crapulent, so why-are-you-still-here and that pissed me off so much!”


All eyes turn to Novotny.


“Oh, for...I did not do anything of the sort! I left the party, hit Woody’s then Babylon, got home and crashed out. I came straight to the diner to meet you guys!”


“We have only your word for that, and we know how shit that is!” Ben snaps.


MICHAEL


I really want to grind this glass into his supercilious looking head, right along his scar, but I must be calm, because by only being calm, as I have been over the years, can I get away with the almost perfect attempted murder. How I hate the fact that Ted is right about the diner, and Mel about the party. I had been seeking sympathy from Ma after David sent me packing. He didn't even take me to the airport; when he told me to leave and I asked him to help me pack my things, he laughed and said no, although Hank volunteered if it would speed things up! I remember David sneering that finally I got to do in Portland what I said he wouldn't allow me to do in Pittsburgh…


Start of flashback

OUTSIDE THE LOFT - NEXT MORNING


MICHAEL


Enough of this bullshit! He has monopolised his time too long! If he wants mollycoddling, he goes to his mother! His not mine! I speed up when I see someone is coming out. “Hold the door!” I shout, but she lets it shut. “What did you do that for?! I said to hold it!” 


“I don’t know you!” She sneers. “You could be a murderer, get buzzed in since you obviously don’t have a key!”


“I do have a key!” I shake my fob at her.


She stares for a few seconds. “You’re an Astro-nut?!” She gasps, I grin, surprised to find a fellow fan in the building. “How pathetic!” She snaps before striding off down the street.


If I wasn’t so keen to have time with Brian, I would slap her. With one final look at her ugly ass wobbling down the street, I let myself into the building, I call the elevator and wait. When it comes down from the top floor, I smirk at the hot guy that comes out, smiling wider at the reek of him. Seems wherever Boy Wonder went, Brian, for once, did not follow! Whistling, I look forward to hearing of his tales about his latest trick, but when I try my keys, nothing happens! I check again, and realise I am using the street door ones. “Idiot!” I mutter to myself. 


But it is the same with the loft door. “Focus!” I berate myself, but not one key on my Brian fob works. “What the fuck is going on?!” I peer at the lock. My gut clenches as the brand new lock glints in the sunlight. 


“You okay there, buddy?” A voice asks. I whirl around, surprised to find a ‘bellhop’ behind me. “You okay?”


“Uh, yeah. My best friend has changed the locks, I bought the wrong set...” I shake them at him. “...old ones. Am majorly hungover, just wanted to make sure he was okay. He was worse than me!” 


“Oh, that explains how green you look. Why not get something to eat and then come back? I really do not want to be cleaning up the puke that you look like you want to lay down!”


“Yeah.” I force out a laugh. “Definitely need coffee!”


“Well, goodbye.” He replies, and holds the lift open for me. I step inside.


DINER - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


I head to the back booth where Ted and Emmett are chatting and sink into the seat.


“Oh, you look rough! Where the hell, or maybe, who the hell did you end up with?!” Emmett’s laugh grates on my nerves.


“Thanks!” I snap, ignoring his angry look. “Kiki, I need coffee!” 


“Be there shortly, hun!” She calls back. At least I have someone that has feelings for me. 


“So when is Brian getting here? Have been trying him for the last twenty minutes. Suppose he must be getting his broken toy replaced. Oh, I need this so bad!” I snatch the mug off Kiki and take down a couple of gulps.


“What are you frothing about? What toy?” Emmett snipes.


“His twink toy broke, so he’s gotta replace it!”


“You had better not be referring to Justin as a ‘twink toy’?!” Emmett fumes.


“No, of course not! I meant his aneros, he mentioned at the party yesterday that he had broken it! How could you think that, Emmett?!”


“Oh. Okay then, sorry, am still coming down from last night.” He sighs then gets up. “It’s no good, I need my bed. Teddy, I will see you later. Bye, Michael.” With a kiss to Ted’s cheek and a squeeze to my arm he is gone.


“At the party.” Ted frowns. “When did you and Brian speak? I don’t remember that.”


“How much did you have to drink?!” I laugh. “We were talking all the time like we always do!”


He rubs his temple with a sigh, then stands. “Hmmm, I think I will follow the lead of Ems, Brian, and Justin and…”


“Brian and Justin? They were here?” 


“Yeah, we met for brunch. Brian wondered where you were, then Justin fessed up that he didn't invite you.” He pulls on his jacket. “Left about ten minutes before you arrived to get some food. I bet that Brian is going to be punishing him hard and deep for that aberration.” He swallows hard. “Yeah, the pink plate special was a bad idea, need to lie down! Bye, Michael.” 


I don’t know how long I zoned out for, but when I refocused it takes a few minutes to calm down, so white hot was my fury. In fact, it was the same intensity as prom night. And, like then, my mission is to get Brian’s eyes on me and me alone...leaning back in the booth, I begin to plan. I am surprised when Lindsay sits opposite me. She does not look happy. 


“You alright, Lindz?”


“No, I am not fucking alright!” She signals for a coffee. “Do you know where Brian is?”


“With Justin, according to Ted.” I grouse.


“Of course he is! Don’t get me wrong, I understand his ‘need’ to help him, but Gus needs his dad too. And for him to just walk out of the party because Justin wanted to go home is too much. He really needs to find someone his own age to be around. He has his uses, I mean had, since he loved to babysit Gus, but I don‘t think he is capable of that now that he is disabled. Oh, I am so angry!”


“You are so right, Lindz, he has other responsibilities, and it is time that we reminded him of them.”

End of flashback


“And what…” I begin just as the door opens, this time it is Carl.


“Debs, honey, we need to talk.” He calls out.


Everyone watches in silence as she leaves the room and closes the door.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. thanks.