- Text Size +

The First Fifty


Chapter 6


 




26 - 30


“Pop, what was it like getting your first job?” Gus asked.


“My first job,” Brian repeated thoughtfully.


“Was that at the Ryder Agency?”


“Ah, Ryder.”


“Pop?”


“Ryder wasn’t my first job,” Brian said enigmatically.


“What was?”


Brian drew in a long breath. “It’s hard when you first come out of college. I sent out a mountain of résumés. I had good credentials from school and from my internships, but…”


“But what?”


“I heard back from three companies.”


“Three?”


“Yep, and I got two interviews.”


“Wow, I’m surprised.”


“So was I. I expected a lot more.”


“How did the interviews go?”


“I did all the things they tell you to do to make a good impression when you’re being interviewed.”


“Yeah, and…”


“It got me nowhere.”


“What do you mean? You’re great at advertising. I thought they would snap you up right away.”


“So did I.”


“But they didn’t…?”


“I got one offer, from Masterson Advertising. It was barely above what I had done as an intern. I was broke so I took it anyway, always thinking better things would turn up soon.”


“How long were you there?”


“Too long.”


“How did you get to Ryder?”


“The whole time I worked at Masterson I was sending out more résumés and trying to get something better. I went for a few more interviews trying to be all polite and politically correct. I covered up the fact I was gay. I kowtowed to the people who interviewed me, and I got fucking nowhere.”


“Jeez, Pop, I had no idea.”


“I never said much about that period to anybody. I was very … unhappy.”


“I can imagine.”


“And then came Ryder. I knew I had to do something different, so when I got the call about an interview at Ryder, I decided to take a different tack.”


“How so?”


“I researched the company, found its weaknesses and decided I was going to be in their face when I went for the interview.”


Gus chuckled. He could just imagine an in-your-face Brian Kinney.


 


*****

 



“Mr. Kinney, I’m Martin Ryder.”


Brian shook the extended hand. “You do your own interviewing?” Brian asked.


“Yes, we’re a small firm.”


“I can change that.”


“Pardon me?”


“I said ‘I can change that’.”


“Confident, aren’t you?” Marty Ryder said with a smirk. He’d take this young upstart down a peg or two.


“Very.” Brian was not going to back down. The results of this kind of blatant self-promotion could hardly be worse than the results of being meek and overly accommodating.


“And just how would you change my company?” Marty asked. He knew that would probably stump the arrogant young man.


Brian spent the next fifteen minutes explaining how he would present new ideas and go after new clients. Marty listened and didn’t interrupt. He had to admit that he was impressed. There were some suggestions that he had never thought of. This guy could be a gold mine for his company if he could carry through with his proposals. It was worth a try.


“Welcome to Ryder, Mr. Kinney,” Marty said standing and shaking Brian’s hand. “The job of junior ad exec is yours if you want it.”


Brian shook the hand. “That position will do for a start, but I don’t expect to be junior for long.”


And he wasn’t.


 


*****

 



“Kinney,” Brian said into his cell phone. 


“Brian, we may have a problem,” Cynthia said without a greeting. Brian sat in the nearest chair and pinched the bridge of his nose.


“What happened?” he asked calmly.


“Leo Brown is in the hospital. Leo Jr. has assumed control of Brown Athletics.”


“Send flowers.”


“Already done. My concern is that Leo Jr. has done a 180. He’s starting to second guess his father’s deals.”


“Do you think I should pay him a call?”


“I was considering doing that myself. Leo Sr. has been slowly stepping back; Junior has been in the forefront. I’ve been trying to build a relationship with him.”


“Then what do you need me for? It sounds like you’ve got it covered.”


“There’s a young company in New York that contacted Stacey. She’s had lunch with them a couple of times. They’re interested, of course, but are afraid they can’t afford us.”


“So you think we should make nice-nice and cut them a deal?” Brian smiled. He liked Cynthia’s thinking. 


“Great minds think alike. Yes, I do. Stacey has a good feeling about this company, they’re about to take the market by storm.”


“And if we sign an exclusive contract…”


“Then it wouldn’t matter what Leo Jr. decided to do.”


“He can go fuck himself; Kinnetik turned his company around. And now that Daddy’s hold is slipping, baby Leo wants to walk all by himself. Well, let him. Don’t beg, Cynthia. You offer him a fair deal and see where it goes. In the meantime, I’ll call Stacey.”


“Are you going to New York?”


“Not if I can help it. Stacey’s a big girl. She can handle it.”


“I’m proud of you,” Cynthia said gently. “If you had said yes, you would have risked undermining Stacey. She’s earned this.”


“Yes she has. And you’re getting soft in the head in your old age,” Brian snorted.


“As if,” Cynthia snapped back. “Brian, how are you doing? All joking aside, you’re one of my closest friends, in a professional, big brother that I never wanted, kind of way.”


“I’m fine, Cyn. Really. I won’t lie to you, it still hurts. Old Joanie and I wasted a hell of a lot of time, but the time we did spend together was the best. I’m trying to focus on that.”


“Good. I meant it, Brian. I am so proud of you. When we met you were the most arrogant son of a bitch that I ever had the displeasure to know. But there was something about you. I knew you were going to reach heights in this business that no one else could.”


“And I knew that you were the person to keep me grounded,” Brian said with pride. “Now, go, be brilliant. Reel Leo Jr. in.”


“And if the fish gets away?”


“There are plenty of others out there waiting to jump in our net.” Brian hung up the phone wearing a satisfied smile.






 


*****


 


“Dada?”


“Hey, Squirt.” Brian was lighting a fire in the fireplace. A cold wind had kicked up outside so Brian felt the yen for a nice fire. Bree sat on a little stool close to the fireplace. She was handing her father kindling and small sticks to help start the fire.


“Dada, do you miss Grandma?” Brian arched a brow; it wasn’t often that Bree would say ‘grandma’ instead of ‘gamma’ which was her habit.


“Yes,” Brian replied honestly. “I miss her very much.”


“Dada, do you know how Gamma Joan met your daddy?” Bree handed her father the box of long fancy matches to light the fire.


“No, not really. I know that Jack came to the Pittsburgh area to look for work. He found some jobs because he sent money back home to his parents. He met Joan and then they got married.”


Bree sat quietly on her stool watching her father poke at the flames as they caught and spread. Brian closed the glass fire doors then sat back on the rug. Bree left her stool to snuggle in Brian’s lap.


“How did you meet Daddy?” Brian smiled and cuddled Bree close.


“That’s a very famous story,” Brian murmured low into Bree’s ear while he gently tickled her. Her delightful giggles made Brian feel warmer than the fire. He kissed her neck. 


“Tell me, Dada!” 


 


***** 


 


“That was quick,” Michael said to Brian when he returned.


“Not when you’ve had as much practice as he’s had,” Ted retorted.


“I got bored,” said Brian.


“I know getting your dick sucked can be so tedious,” Emmett sarcastically said.


“Well, he looked pretty hot to me,” Michael said as he got into Brian’s Jeep.


“Anybody’d look hot to you,” Brian snarked. 


Before getting into his Jeep, Brian spots Justin leaning against a post.


“How’s it goin’? You had a busy night?”


“Just, uh checking out the bars, you know, Boy Toy, Meathook…”


“Meathook, really, so you’re into leather?”


“Sure.”


“Where you headed?”


“No place special.”


“I can change that.”


 


*****




“I was out with Uncle Michael, Uncle Ted and Auntie Emm,” Brian started to explain. “We used to go Babylon together to dance.”


“You dance good, Dada,” Bree said with a brilliant smile as she looked up into her father’s face.


“Thank you, Squirt, but we all know that the best dancer in this family is your father. It was a nice evening; the music was loud just like we wanted it. We were all about to go home when I saw your father.”


“Was it love at first sight?”


“What do know about love at first sight?”


“Kendal has a boyfriend; he’s in the fourth grade.”


“She likes her men older, does she?” Brian said with a chuckle. Bree nodded, making her little pigtails bob up and down.


“She said it was love at first sight.”


“Well, almost love at first sight. I had a lot to learn about love back then. Lucky for me, your father is a very good teacher,” Brian said as he pecked Bree’s nose. “Now I think it’s time for someone to get ready for bed.”


Brian pushed Bree up off his lap. She gave Brian a hug then scurried off to her room to put on her pajamas.


“Hey,” Justin called out as he entered the living room. He took Bree’s place on Brian’s lap. “Am I too heavy?”


“Never,” Brian said as he kissed Justin’s nose.


“You two were looking pretty serious for a minute there.”


“Your daughter wanted to know how Joan met Jack. Then she wanted to know how we met and was it love at first sight.”


“What did you tell her?” Brian tightened his arms around Justin.


“I told her the truth.” Justin’s eye grew wide. “I told her that one night I was out with my friends and then there you were.”


“And was it love at first sight?” Justin searched Brian’s eyes.


“No, it was lust at first sight. And then one day after I learned many valuable lessons, it was love at first sight,” Brian said with a low breathy voice.


The lovers stared into each other’s eyes. Brian’s eyes were reflecting fiery gold flames. 


“I love you so much,” Justin said before deeply kissing Brian.


“I love you.” The lovers kissed again.


“What else did our daughter want to know?” Justin asked when he was able to draw breath.


“Nothing much but I did tell her that you are the best dancer.”


“You’re not so bad.”


“Maybe but only with you.”


“Did you tell Bree about the prom?” Justin asked, suddenly very serious.


“No, she doesn’t have to know about that.”


“Yet. She doesn’t have to know about that yet.”


“Not ever, unless you want her to know and not until she’s a lot older and we can put it into perspective. We have plenty of time to decide,” Brian counseled.


Justin nodded in agreement.


“She might ask. There are a lot of people who know.”


“We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. For now…” Brian pushed Justin off his lap. “Let’s go to bed.”


“It’s early,” Justin observed.


“I’m sure we’ll think of something to occupy our time,” Brian said with a smirk. Justin waggled his eyebrows then led Brian to bed.