- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Thanks to Margaret for the plot bunny.



Standing in the Light


Chapter 1


"Mr. Patrick," the seven year old boy looked up at the tall man.


"Yes, Joey. I told you that you can call me Andrew."


"You don't look like an Andrew," Joey replied.


"I don't?"


"No."


"What name should I have?" Andrew asked with a bemused look on his face.


"I don't know," Joey said frowning. "But thank you for bringing me here."


"You're welcome, Joey. We want you to be safe."


"He's doing just fine, Andrew," Blanche Dalton stated. She ran the home for abused children called Safe Haven. Joey had arrived there a couple of weeks ago. He had been released from the hospital with a black eye, broken arm, cracked ribs and possible damage to one kidney. Social services had been unable to place him in foster care, so they had called Safe Haven to see if they had a spot for him, at least for a few days. Andrew had met the social services people at the hospital and had transported Joey to the house.


Andrew Patrick didn't usually get involved in individual cases, but no one else had been available and Joey's story had been so familiar to him. He had found a silent, scared and belligerent boy who refused to cooperate with anyone. Joey was sullen and then argumentative if pushed.


Andrew had immediately noticed the underlying intelligence in the few comments Joey had made. He had even smiled when Joey had told his social worker that he was not going back to his damn parents because they didn't deserve him. He had been surprised during the ride to Safe Haven that Joey had started talking to him.


"You smell good," Joey said after they had driven some distance.


"Thank you," Andrew had replied with a little smile. Getting Joey to talk about anything was a step in the right direction. If his scent caused Joey to speak, that was fine with Andrew.


"You have really nice clothes too," Joey observed.


"Thanks. Do you like nice things?"


Joey had looked a little sad but had replied in the affirmative. "I never have anything of my own," he said defiantly, "but one day I will. I'm going to be rich and famous and have everything I want."


"That sounds like a plan," Andrew had agreed, glad to see the fire still burning in the boy. "I had a plan like that when I was growing up."


"You did?" Joey asked looking at this man with renewed interest. "And you got everything you wanted?" he asked.


"Just about."


Joey smiled happily and settled back in his seat. If this nice smelling man could do it, then he could too. Maybe Safe Haven was the first step on his journey to a new and better life.


When Andrew had taken Joey's hand and led him into Safe Haven to meet Blanche for the first time, Joey had felt the powerful aura that surrounded Andrew. It seemed to the little boy that Andrew could do anything, make anything happen. He wanted to attach himself to this source of strength and power.


"Will you come and see me tomorrow?" Joey had asked shyly wanting to see Andrew the next day, wanting to see him every day. He felt safe around the tall man.


"Mr. Patrick doesn't come to Safe Haven every day," Blanche had told the little boy. "He's a very busy man."


"I think maybe I could come by tomorrow after work," Andrew said, not wanting to see the look of desperation return to Joey's face.


The little face lit up in a golden smile. "I'll be waiting," Joey said confidently and ran to Andrew for a hug.


Blanche sighed and smiled. Andrew had made another conquest. She watched as Andrew crushed the little body in a big hug. She knew Andrew would keep his word and return to visit Joey.


And that's why Andrew was here today. He came at least three times a week to visit the little boy and a couple of other children at Safe Haven. He always was available if he was needed. Safe Haven and its residents could always count on him, had for years.


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii


Emmett Honeycutt looked up at the façade of the old mansion. In its day it had been a grand home. Now it looked a little the worse for wear although it was clean and tidy. It just lacked some of its former grandeur.


Emmett walked into the foyer and looked around trying to find someone who was in charge. After a minute or two a slim middle aged woman bustled out. She seemed startled to see anyone in the foyer.


"May I help you?" she asked formally.


"I hope so," Emmett said having gotten tired of waiting. "You need someone here to meet visitors and direct them to whatever they want."


"That would be lovely," Blanche said, "but we don't have money for a receptionist, and quite frankly, we don't have that many visitors. I'm Blanche Dalton by the way. I run this place."


"Well," Emmett began cheerfully, "Maybe I can help you."


"What do you mean?" Blanche asked giving Emmett the once over and frowning.


"It's kind of a long story, but I'm here to volunteer. My name is Emmett Honeycutt," he said smiling.


"We can always use volunteers," she replied with a smile and shook his hand. "But you'll have to fill out an application and pass a police check."


"You're kidding, right?" Emmett asked with a laugh. His laughter disappeared quickly when she shook her head no.


"Well, fuck me! I thought I was going to do a good deed, but I didn't bargain for all that."


"And you'll have to improve your language if you're going to be around children. Most of them have enough of a foul mouth without having an adult encourage them."


Emmett looked rather crestfallen. This was not what he had bargained for when he and George had talked about volunteering once they got back from their around the world trip. The only problem was that George didn't come back from that trip alive. Emmett had decided to volunteer in his memory since his party planning business was doing so well and he thought he could spare the time during the day. Now he wondered if they would even let him, being as he had worked on a porn site and was gay. He had just known that George donated to Safe Haven and it was something different from the hospice work. He liked the idea of working with the young, the living, those with a future, instead of those who had only weeks left to their lives.


"Excuse me," the woman was saying, "I didn't mean to discourage you. We always need volunteers. It's just that it's become quite a trial to sign on these days. I always warn people up front. There's no point in wasting their time."


"Do … do you think I would be accepted to volunteer here?" Emmett asked her.


"You seem like a nice young man. I don't know why you couldn't."


Strangely that pleased Emmett and he decided to go through the process.


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii


A little over a week later the gang met for breakfast at the diner. Ben couldn't make it since he was required at a faculty meeting. Justin was working on a project. So it was the four friends, just like old times.


"So what are you and the Boy Wonder up to these days?" Michael asked Brian.


"I spend a lot of time working at Kinnetik, and Justin has his classes and Rage," Brian replied.


"We're still talking to Brett Keller about a possible Rage movie," Michael said proudly.


"I know," Brian said with an edge of sarcasm. "Justin keeps telling me that he's going to Hollywood to be a staahh."


"Oh, that's so cute," Emmett gushed.


"And what's new and exciting in your life, Emm?" Michael asked.


"I'm going to volunteer at a home for abused children," he stated proudly.


"You are?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow.


"Uh huh," Emmett nodded. "I had to go through a police check and everything."


"And you passed?" Ted asked in mock bewilderment.


"Of course I did, silly," Emmett said playfully tickling Ted under his arms.


"What made you decide to do that?" Michael asked.


"My sweet Georgie and I were going to do that when we returned from our round the world tour," Emmett explained.


"But he never came back," Ted offered.


"No," Emmett said sadly looking off into space and remembering his happy days with George Schickel. Emmett cleared his throat and looked at Ted. "But I decided to honor his wishes and volunteer. My party planning business is doing really well and I can afford some hours during the week."


"That's very … noble of you," Brian said.


"Thanks, sweetie," Emmett replied with a big grin. "I start tomorrow."


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii


Late that same afternoon Andrew Patrick walked into Safe Haven. He was met almost immediately by a squealing seven year old who flung himself into Andrew's embrace.


"Hey, Joey," Andrew said with a smile as he hugged the boy close.


"Did you come to see me?" Joey asked looking into Andrew's face.


"Of course."


"I have something to show you."


"You do?"


"Yep. It's up in my room."


"Why don't you go get it while I talk to Blanche for a minute?"


Joey took off at lightning speed. Andrew knew that he better talk to Blanche quickly because the boy would be back in a hurry.


"Blanche, I had a couple of questions," Andrew began.


"Certainly, what did you want to know?"


"How's Joey doing?" Andrew asked.


Blanche smiled. Andrew was all business, but she knew he had a soft spot for Joey. "He's doing okay. His injuries are healing and he's relaxing around the other kids. I think he's beginning to make a friend too."


"Who with?"


"Besides you, you mean?" she said with a grin.


"Besides me," Andrew said acknowledging that he knew Joey had come to depend on him.


"Cheryl."


"Cheryl?" Andrew asked looking surprised. "I would have thought it would be a boy."


"He's kind of keeping his distance with the other boys, but he likes to draw, and so does Cheryl. They usually sit together in the playroom and draw. They compare their work and make suggestions to each other. They're both quite mature for their ages."


"I'm glad he's fitting in. Are you going to enroll him in regular school?"


"I think he's ready," she said. "I've talked to the local school and we decided he could start next week."


"Have you told him?"


She nodded. "And he seemed excited. I think he and Cheryl may be in the same class."


"Maybe you should call the school and make sure that happens. It's always nice to have a friend in your class when you start a new school."


"I'll do that," she replied. "Was there something else?" He looked like he wanted to broach another subject.


"I … I guess the house is full, isn't it?" he asked.


"Yes, I hope nobody else needs a placement until Jason leaves in five weeks. We'd have to turn them away, and I hate to do that."


"I know," he replied smiling fondly at her. She seemed severe on a first meeting but Blanche had a heart of gold. She loved all the children in her care. "How's the volunteer situation? Do you have enough help?"


"We have a new volunteer starting tomorrow," she said proudly. "Emmett Honeycutt, he seems like a nice young man."


"Oh, can I see the volunteer schedule?"


She handed him a clipboard of papers. He scanned the timetable noting blocks where no volunteers were scheduled. "You could sure use another volunteer for afternoons," Andrew observed.


"I tried to fit Emmett in there, but he has a party planning business, and afternoons are the time he's getting ready for evening parties."


"I see, so he's doing mornings twice a week?"


"That's right."


"We should see if we can find someone for afternoons. I'll see if there's anything I can do."


"Thanks, Andrew, we can always count on you."


Andrew frowned. He hoped that was true. He had never had a family he could count on when he was growing up, so he wanted this place to be better for the children who lived there. "I need to talk to you about Jason before I leave. In private," he added as an afterthought.


She nodded as Joey came bounding down the stairs at breakneck speed. He was clutching a piece of paper as he arrived in front of Andrew.


"What's this?" Andrew asked as Joey held the paper out to him.


"It's you," Joey said proudly.


Andrew looked at the crayon drawing. It showed a tall man in a suit with his arm around the shoulders of a little boy who looked a lot like Joey. "You drew this?" Andrew asked touched by the love he could feel between the man and boy in the picture.


Joey nodded. "It's for you, so you … won't … forget me," Joey said haltingly. Andrew thought he could see tears pretty close to the surface, behind the blue eyes.


"I won't forget you," Andrew said squatting down and allowing Joey to feel how much he appreciated his gift in the warmth of their embrace.


"You'll still come to see me? Always?"


"Always," Andrew repeated. "Now go play. I have to talk business with Blanche."


Joey ran off happily as Andrew made his way to Blanche's office. He didn't like the prospects of this talk but it had to be done.


"Does Jason know he's leaving in five weeks?" Andrew asked as he sat down in the chair across from Blanche. She nodded. "How did he react?"


"He doesn't want to go to a group home."


"I can understand that, but we have that 'once you turn fourteen you have to go somewhere else' rule for a reason."


"I think it's called puberty," Blanche replied.


"Yeah," Andrew said remembering when he was fourteen. "Have you got a good placement for him?"


"I think so. We've sent other boys to the Red Wheel home before and most of them have done well."


"Yeah, except for Bobby," Andrew said thinking back to a sad boy from a few years ago, their only real failure.


"Jason still has some issues. He's fixated on you," Blanche said knowingly.


"He was watching me with Joey just now."


"I know. He watches you whenever you're here."


"But he never speaks to me anymore," Andrew said with a sigh.


"He's afraid you'll reject him, especially now that he has to leave."


Andrew sighed again. He'd never been good with attachments like this, although he liked to think he was getting better at it. "I need to sit down with him and have a man to man talk."


"I think that would be a good idea," Blanche said with a small smile.


Andrew looked at his watch. "Shit, I've got to go. I'll make time to have that talk with Jason the next time I'm here."


"Andrew," she said as he got up to leave, "don't leave it too long."


He picked up Joey's picture from the desk where he had laid it and nodded to her. He wasn't looking forward to the chat with Jason but he knew it needed to be done and soon. He walked out to his car and slid in. He opened his briefcase, took another look at his picture from Joey and with a smile dropped it into the pocket in the lid. He could add it to his collection later.


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii


Brian rode the elevator up to the loft. He knew Justin would be waiting. They were supposed to have a special dinner which should have started forty minutes ago. He knew he was going to get shit.


He pulled back the loft door to a wonderful aroma coming from the kitchen. He glanced around for Justin not seeing him cooking. He spotted him sitting on their new sofa.


"Hey," he said.


"Where have you been?" Justin demanded.


"I was working. You know, the thing that keeps food on the table and a roof over our heads." Brian dropped his briefcase on the chair behind his desk and made his way up to the bedroom to change out of his suit into something more comfortable.


"But you were supposed to be here forty minutes ago," Justin complained.


"Sometimes things happen, Sunshine. Sorry I'm late."


Justin smiled. A sorry from Brian was like an apology on bended knees from anyone else. "Lucky for you that I know you so well."


"What?" Brian asked with a frown.


"I built in an hour's leeway on dinner. You're always late."


"Fashionably late," Brian said with a smirk coming down the steps in his jeans and black wifebeater.


Justin smiled in spite of himself. There was no point in being mad at Brian. He had suspected that he wouldn't be on time. "Well fashionably late means you don't get the hors d'oeuvres I had planned if you had been on time."


"That's probably a good thing. I don't need any more fats or carbs. I'm sure there'll be enough in your dinner, which by the way, smells delicious."


"Thanks, but who said the hors d'oeuvres had anything to do with fat or carbs? More like protein," Justin said with an evil grin.


Brian felt his cock jump. It always amazed him the effect Justin had on him after all this time. A word or a look or that smile and his body responded immediately. He reached


for Justin and pulled him into a long, hard kiss.


"Can we still have hors d'oeuvres?" Brian heard himself saying in what could only be described as a voice filled with lust. He sounded like a horny teenager begging for a handjob.


"Un unh," Justin said pushing him away and heading for the kitchen, "but I promise that dessert will be spectacular."


Brian knew the sappy grin was spreading all over his face, but he couldn't stop it. "Then let's get this eating thing out of the way. I'm ready for dessert right now."


Justin grinned and wiggled his ass in Brian's direction as he bent over to pull dinner out of the oven. A little payback was always a good thing.