- Text Size +

 

 

“I miss Mommy,” Molly said. Justin inwardly groaned, she only called her mommy when she was on the verge of a tantum. With how the last twenty-four hours had gone, he couldn’t blame her.

Their mother had just left following father as he was escorted off the ship. Right now, they were trying to cheer Molly up and wanting to see Princess Cays Island. It was a private island and really no more than a beach. His parents had to charter a boat to Rock Sound, Eleuthera from there they would fly out.

“I know but remember, she told you to she wanted you to have a good time. We’re going to go to the beach today, doesn’t that sound like fun. You love the beach!”

“Do you have my lotion?” she asked, her face still red from crying.

“Yes, mom packed several bottles of your sunblock.” Molly was red-headed and pale, she had to use strong sunblock lotion, Mom always got SPF 110. He brought his own, he wasn’t as pale as his sister. She didn’t tan, her freckles connected.

“Why don’t you go put your swimsuit on and us three will go have the time of our lives,” Daphne said, trying to cheer her up.

“Alright,” she said uncertainly as she went into the bathroom.

“Is that man going to be moving into our cabin?” Daphne asked while Molly got dressed.

“I don’t know, his mom said that she was going to tell him about our offer.”

“Your offer.”

“Same diff. Anyway, it’ll be a way to stay in touch with Brian.”

“You are so smitten.”

“Shut up, that makes it sound like I’m a twelve-year-old girl.”

“If the shoe fits.”

He threw a pillow at her, but she ducked.

“Ta-da!” Molly stepped out of the bathroom. Seemed like she was on the upswing. She was wearing a one-piece swimsuit that was blue with red hearts.

His parents’ cabin was much nicer than his and Daphne’s. They had two tiny beds and wall separating the bathroom area. His parents was like a nice suite at a hotel with two bedrooms and a small living area. They had decided once they moved into, the room, Justin and Molly would share the large queen size bed and Daphne would take the twin. Before she had the option to stay back in their room but now, they had offered it to Michael. Ok, he offered it to Michael.

 


They found a perfect spot on the beach, they laid out their towels. Molly decided to build a sandcastle, Daphne was getting some sun and he decided to sketch. Looking around, he tried to find the best muse, maybe hoping Brian would show up. His eyes landed on an older couple; they were on beach chairs. The woman had a large floppy hat and big sunglasses, she was in a white one-piece swimsuit with a white frill at the hip. The man had more clothes on than you would expect for someone at the beach. He had a hat, sunglasses, a light long-sleeve shirt and chinos. He was close enough to the couple he could hear them once he started to listen for them. He finally recognized them as the couple he was behind when they boarded, Rodney and Tilly.

“I could get used to this,” the woman said, stretching out on the lounger.

 “Tilly, you know you would go crazy in a month. You have to be doing something, it’s in your blood,” the man said, a smile on his face. Justin started drawing an outline of the woman.

“You’re no fun. But think of it, we could spend our golden years like this.”

The man laughed and as if sensing Justin watching them looked up and saw Justin.

“Hi,” Justin said dumbly, hiding his sketch pad.

“Hey, kiddo, haven’t seen you since we boarded. How has it been?” the man asked.

“Chaotic. My dad got booted from the ship for violence and my mom went with him.”

“Oh, no, honey. I’m so sorry,” Tilly said

“It’s alright. At least I have my sister and friend.” He pointed to Daphne who was sunning her back now and his sister who had a pretty high sandcastle going, though it was a little crooked.

“That’s good. She’s adorable. Reminds me of Brandy with that red hair,” Tilly said wistfully.

“How has your trip been so far?” he asked. It had only been a day and a half, but lots could happen in that time…look at him.

“Good, quiet. Without the kids we have just been bumbling around like two old people.”

“Have you been making friends?”

“No, not really. I think you’re the only one we’ve talked to other than the staff.”

Justin shook his head. “That won’t do. You should eat with us tonight. We’re eating with another group and some are older too. Maybe you’ll have something in common.”

The man shook his head. “We don’t want to intrude.”

“No, you’re not. The whole point of a cruise ship is to get out of the normal. Please, come eat with us?”

Tilly sighed. “Oh, all right. Where?”

“The Valley at eight,” he told them.

“Alright, I guess I should head back earlier than planned to have a nap,” the man said.

Justin felt instantly guilty, he could tell the man was tired and sick and here he was pushing dinner on them. “You don’t have to come, I’m sorry. I know you’re not feeling well.”

“No, it’s fine, darling. You see, Rodney got some bad news earlier in the year, he’s sick. The medicine he’s on now finally works but until his mind can catch up with his body, he still feels like it’s not. It’s hard to explain but getting out really is best for him.”

Rodney glared at her, but he wasn’t denying it either, so Justin shrugged.

“Justin, I want to go swimming,” Molly said running up to him.

She could swim well but it was the rule she couldn’t get in the water alone. He turned to Rodney and Tilly. “I’ll see you two tonight. Have a nice day.” He reapplied Molly’s sunblock and his and helped with putting sunscreen on Daphne’s back.  Then took Molly out to play in the ocean for a while.

 


Brian was working out at one of the gyms on the ship. He decided against going to the island. He knew most of the family would be going, he so wasn’t in the mood for that. When Lindsay found out he wouldn’t be heading to the island, she asked him to watch Gus. She was worried about the overcrowded beach and Gus just starting to toddle. He wouldn’t admit it, but he liked the idea of spending the day with his boy. He would be picking him up from the daycare after his workout, just because he was on vacation didn’t mean he could let his body go.

A tall, dark-skinned man running on a treadmill caught his attention. This man was much more his type then the little twink he spent last night with. The man looked over at him, locking eyes. Lust shown through, maybe he would have a little grown up fun before he picked Gus up.

 


Ted didn’t go with the others when they left, he didn’t want to leave his cabin. This morning at breakfast Em had made him go. But he made sure he knew that that he would not be going to the island. They weren’t docked so the only way to get to the island was by boat. He hoped that meant it was harder for them to come back as easily. He was mortified about what happened last night. If Claire hadn’t been walking to Brian’s room last night, there’s no telling what would have happened to him. It made him feel useless, weak and stupid. He had been so focused on not being alone last night he failed to see the signs the guy was a creep. First, he had asked way too much about Ted’s cabin but never asked him once what his name was until it was too late.

Maybe staying hidden in his room wouldn’t help but he wouldn’t see the guy again. Not only that he found out that Emmett had slept with Zach O’Toole last night, here he was almost murdered, and Emmett was with a porn star.

Just as he was about to burrow under the covers again, someone knocked on the door. For a split second he thought it was the guy from last night.

“Go away!” he yelled.

“Please, I need help,” Michael yelled back.

What was he doing here? Ted had met Michael first, just after he moved to Pittsburgh. He had just graduated college and gotten the job at Wertshafter’s. He had gone to Woody’s, hoping to meet someone. That was when he saw Michael, something about the brunet man called to him. Michael was sitting alone, young and oh so innocent looking. Ted struck up a conversation with him. Then Brian came in and it was like he had a spotlight on him. Ted didn’t notice Michael had left until Brian had picked his trick for the night. Ted felt so guilty for that.

It was meeting Emmett that brought the group together, he was like the glue. Emmett had become friends with Brian through Claire. Claire had met Emmett when he moved to the city, when he was still very much a fish out of water. She had introduced him to Liberty Avenue, which was funny with her being straight. Emmett then met his hero Godiva and became the Emmett they all knew and loved.

Michael had never been really one of them though, he was always attached to Debbie’s apron strings or since meeting David being David’s puppet. Something was off about that relationship and it wasn’t the cheating.

Getting up, he made his way to the door. When he opened it, Michael was standing there, blood seeping though the arm of his shirt.

“Jesus, Michael, what the hell happened? We need to get you to the medic.”

“NO! You can’t, they’ll know.”

“Know? Know what? Michael, you’re bleeding. You need help.”

“I’ve got some bandages; I just need help putting them on. Please, Ted, my family can’t know. I’ll never ask anything of you again. David usually helps me but…”

“Usually helps you…so this is a normal thing? Is David hurting you?” Was the man a bigger asshole than they thought.

“God, no. Look, can you just help me?”

Ted nodded, although he didn’t want to help like this. “Sit down, not on the bed.”

Michael sat in the desk chair and slowly started to roll up his sleeve. Ted saw how much pain he was in. He went and grabbed the first aid kit he always kept. Michael gave him a strange look when he put the gloves on, but he didn’t know their status, Michael was always so secretive. Finally, Michael revealed his arm, there were several cuts in various stages of healing, some very old scars too. Then there was the one that was bleeding heavily. The scene was all too clear now…Michael cut himself on purpose.

As he went to work, he started to question Michael.

“How long have you been doing this?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. It was an accident.” Michael wouldn’t look him in the eye.

“I had a friend in college, she had accidents like this all the time. One day, she went into septic shock and died not too long after.”

“It’s not that bad. I did a lot in junior high and high school. But I stopped, I was doing really well. I even found some cream that made the marks fade some.”

“What happened to cause this to start again?”

Michael hung his head. “I always thought once I met the right guy, everything would fall into place. That I wouldn’t feel so broken…so wrong. Then David came along and he was perfect. Smart, charming, hot and rich. But it didn’t take long for me to realize that I’m not good enough.”

“Says who?”

“David,” Michael blurted out before his eyes widened. “I didn’t mean.”

Ted was sure it was the first truthful thing Michael had said in quite a long time.

“Where are you staying now that it’s over with David?” Ted asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, after this morning. I thought that you and he were done.”

“No, I’m lucky that David puts up with me. He can’t be expected to be with only me for the rest of his life, can he?”

It bothered Ted the way Michael was speaking about himself. Besides the first night of meeting him, this was the longest conversation he had with him.

“If that’s what you want, it’s not too much to ask.” He finished with the bandage. “Why don’t you put one of my shirts on and we’ll go get lunch.” He didn’t want Michael to go anywhere alone in his mindset.

“I don’t know.” Ted saw that he wanted to go, so he got up and pulled out a shirt that Em forced him to bring. It was a blue long-sleeve button up. Michael finally smiled and got dressed.

“Let’s go.”

When they got to the little deli they had on board, they saw Brian and Gus. Brian had the one-year old in a highchair. While Michael looked hesitant Ted led him over to Brian and Gus.

“Got room for two more?” Ted asked.

“Theodore didn’t expect you to come out of your room today. Emmett said you were hiding.”

Ted shook off the comment. “Well, as you can see you’ve been misinformed.” Not really. “Can we sit or not?”

Brian opened his hand and gestured at the table. Michael sat while Ted went and ordered their lunch. It looked like he was going to have to convince Michael to eat because he said he wasn’t hungry, but he hadn’t eaten breakfast so he needed it.

When he got back, he could see Michael fidgeting. “So, how has your day been, Brian?” Ted asked.

“Well, after a workout…which there isn’t a crime against,” Brian said, looking at Ted, he was used to this. “Had another workout with an eight in the gym shower. Then picked up Gus and have been having a fun day. We checked out the bookstore, then went to the wade pool and played some, now we’re eating.” Gus smiled and chomped on the carrots he was eating. “So, Michael are you going to stay in Justin’s room?”

“What? Whose Justin and why would I be staying in his room?”

“Hasn’t your mom talked to you?” Ted asked.

“I’ve been avoiding her.”

“That must make breastfeeding difficult.”

Ted sent Brian a glare, now was not the time. “Justin, the blond from this morning is going to be sharing a room with his sister and friend, he offered his old room to you,” Ted filled in.

“Why would I need it?”

“So, you don’t have to stay with Doctor Dick,” Brian said like it was the most obvious thing.

“Oh, I couldn’t.”

“Why not just for tonight? Maybe it will help to have a night away.” Ted suddenly had an image in his head of Michael killing himself tonight. “In fact, why don’t I stay with you. We can have a fun night. I may not know anything about comic books, but I did go to a convention once.”

“If you don’t like them why did you go to a convention?” Michael asked.

“Like that’s so hard to guess, he was chasing some comic book loser ass,” Brian said with a snort. Ted hated that he had been right.

 


Claire knew everyone in her family would kill her if they knew what she was doing. She hated that Jim was Polly’s father, but she couldn’t change it. She wouldn’t if she had a choice because that would mean her sweet, little girl would be someone else.

She sent Kayla away, so Jim could come and meet Polly without anyone knowing. She hated lying, mostly because she knew Brian would see through it if he was there. She had told Jim he wasn’t allowed to tell her who he was, she wouldn’t have him break her heart. She really couldn’t stand even looking at him but a part of her worried that he might try and take Polly away from her if she refused.

A knock on the door startled her. She brushed her clothes down and hoped her hands weren’t as sweaty as she thought.

“Momma, someone’s at the door,” Polly said, looking up from her Gameboy that Brian had gotten her for her fourth birthday.

Sucking in a breath, she opened the door. Jim stood there, steely eyes and a deep frown. “Claire,” he said, nodding his head.

“Come in. She’s playing her Gameboy; she’s really zoned in on it right now.”

“She shouldn’t be playing games like that; they are mind rotting garbage.”

“I’ll take that into consideration,” she lied. She wouldn’t be taking parenting advice from a homophobic bigot.

“Polly, put down your game. I want you to meet an old friend of mine. This is Jim, can you say hi?”

Polly looked up from her game, raised an eyebrow much like her uncle’s. “Hi.” Then she went back to her game.

“Polly, put it away, now,” she said.

“But Momma, I was about to kill the Lizard King.”

“Save it and try later.”

After some huffing and puffing, Polly put her game down.

“Hello, Polly, it’s wonderful to meet you.”

“Why? What’s so wonderful about it?”

Claire was going to kill her brother; he’s the one Polly got her smart mouth from. She was the sweetest, gentlest little girl but sometimes she was her Uncle Brian’s girl. She had been Uncle Brian’s girl since the day she was born. Claire had a hard labor and post-partum depression. It had gotten so bad that Brian had moved in with her for four months. The Stud of Liberty Avenue was changing diapers and rocking Polly to sleep while Claire could barely get out of bed. He only left when he had to go to work and was relieved by their Dad, Aunt Deb and a few times Michael. She blamed Michael for her daughter loving Captain Astro.

“That’s very rude,” Jim chastised Polly.

“Is this all you wanted to do, grumble at her?”

“I don’t think you are raising her very well. Maybe it would be best if my wife and I take her. I’ll tell Gloria it’s a foster to adopt situation of course.”

“Like hell you will.” She looked down at Polly who was watching the exchange with rapt attention. “Put on your headphones and listen to your music.”

“Oh, Momma, I never get to hear the good stuff,” she whined but did as asked.

“Like I said, like hell you’ll take her. If you try in any way, I will scream at the top of my lungs who you are to her. Your election would be dead in the water then. Don’t try me on this. She has always been mine; I won’t have Johnny Come Lately come and try to take over.”

Jim’s face was pinched looking. “I don’t think she’s being raised in the right environment.”

“What kind of environment is that?”

“You know what I mean. Your father and brother, they’re perverts,” Jim said loudly.

“My grandpa and Uncle Brian are not preverts. You take that back.”

Claire closed her eyes; this was a fucking mess. “My father and brother are better men than you will ever be. If you call them something like that again, I’ll make sure you never the mayor. I don’t want a lying, cheating scumbag around my child. Get out of our lives and never come back. If you do, you know what I can do to you. Consider that a threat.”

His face was red and blotchy, but he opened the door and left without another word. She would have to tell Melanie the truth, she needed a plan in case he came after her. If he wins the election, he’ll probably forget all about them but if he loses, all bets are off.

To be continued.
SLHR is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked What Ever Happened to Baby Brian also liked 128 other stories.