- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: I own nothing, not a darn thing, Cowlip and Showtime do, no copyright infringement is intended whatsoever.

Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my first Vamp fic and I will take slight liberties, apologies in advance to the purists amongst you. Thanks, MissMerlot

CHAPTER 1 - THE RULING OF THE ROMANTICS


OUTSIDE THE CHAMBER OF ALDERMEN ELDERS, ICELAND - NEW MOON DAY, AUGUST 2016


QUEEN JENNIFER


It is the clearing of my guard’s throat and the swish of the material of her dress that gets my attention. Standing, I wait for Lady Deborah to reach me. She looks so nervous, we both do. We are here for a decision that will impact the lives of both covens, especially if they go against us.


“Been waiting long, Your Highness?” She asks politely when she reaches my side with her aide and guard. I try not to smile at her tone, we are old and very good friends. 


“No, my Ladyship, not long. Shall we sit?” I indicate a bench and immediately the two pages leap to get cushions for us. “You may leave us. All of you.” I order, and swiftly the guards and the pages are gone.


“I am so fucking scared.” She whispers, taking my hand and clasping it tightly. I squeeze back, finding comfort, if not feeling, in the gesture. 


“Me too.” I sigh. “She will take it well, I think, but I know she is getting impatient. And we do wish to stand down, but…”


“He will not take it well at all. He’s been chomping at the bit to be Lord Michael and rule the G-Coven ever since he was 150 years old!” She leans back against the chair and closes her eyes. “I don’t think he can wait another however many years.”


“What’s his rush?” I turn her to face me and shake my head. “Just because he wants doesn’t mean he should!”


“You know, you’re the only person who I would let do that.” She smiles tiredly. “I wish I had the power.”


“One of the advantages of being pure is the little extras. Shame it doesn’t work on aldermen.” I grumble, and she chuckles. The creaking of the door silences us and the Chief Equerry to the Aldermen steps out. “Are we to enter, wait, or return, Sir?”


“Enter. They have made their decision.” He replies, his face impassive as he steps back and holds the door open. “Queen Jennifer and Lady Deborah, show deference to the Aldermen!” He orders, but when all five of us scowl at him, he shrinks back a bit. “It is proto…”


“Not for royalty, Sapperstein. Now stop being a pedant and leave us.” Alderman Earl orders, Sapperstein scurries out before he can raise his finger to assist his exit. 


“Oh, that man gets right on my nerves!” Alderman Caroline gripes. “Thank goodness that I can’t feel how much he grates!”


“Now be nice, he is very particular for the…” Alderman Bernardus interrupts, ever the diplomat.


“He’s not particular, he’s obsequious!” She returns. “And we all know why that is…”


“Now, Caroline, this has not been proven, and…” 


“He’s a nonce!” She asserts. “And the only reason he’s kept his nose clean all this time is because of what he faces should we banish him!” 


The chamber goes quiet, not through fear of being overheard, once the door is shut only another Alderman can hear. The quiet is because that is not the only rumour that has been unproven, Debs and I look at each other, hoping it stays that way.


“Ladies, please take a seat.” Alderman Bernardus instructs; I know what is coming. “The answer is no.”


“To whom?” Debs asks, and I glance at her. “It was worth a try, sorry.”


“To both, so as to make the decision official.” Alderman Earl replies. “It was a majority one. They are not ready to rule alone, but with another half-blood and with training, in say fifty years, then maybe, but definitely not now.”


“We understand your reasoning, but what of the wording?” I ask. “And the other Aldermen, where are they?”


“Going to tell King Craig and Lord Victor personally.” Alderman Caroline replies, then removes her diadem before scratching her skull. “Must be psychological, but every time I wear it for a long time, I feel like it itches!” We sigh in relief as we remove our crowns and diadems and have a good scratch. “Oh, not just me then?! So why did you both ask at this time? Oh, can we dispense with formalities once the decision is sealed?” We watch the orb darken then return inside the tabernacle.


“Absolutely, Caroline. Well?” Earl prompts.


“We want to stand aside Craig and I, she has a consort in Christopher.”


“Uhhuh.” Caroline frowns. “And Deborah, what of you and Victor?”


“I am happy to continue, but Victor grows tired of it. What if…”


“Absolutely not, that's not fair!” I exclaim.


“Jen! You don’t understand, I could teach him all he needs to know until such...”


“No, Lady Deborah!” Bernadus snaps. “That is definitely unfair, and, frankly, disgusting. How would the first night go for a start?!”


“Oh shit, I hadn’t thought of that!” She covers her face. “I am sorry all. It's just that he is so keen to become ruler.”


“And that's another reason why!” Caroline blasts. “His keenness is another worry. His refusal to seek counsel, to be careful, to…”


“It was one time, he wasn't, I mean didn’t know his own strength then, and…”


“Is not deaf!” I snap. “He was hurting him!”


“Oh, don't play innocent with me! What about Lindsay?!” Debs retorts.


“Uh, ladies…” Earl begins.


“What about her?!” I snarl, feeling my teeth sharpen.


“Losing her virginity to the Count! Just before his wedding, and I mean minutes before!” 


“She thought that was someone else!” I exclaim.


“How the fuck do you confuse a Black Vamp with a White one? It wasn’t even dark!”


“Eh, fucking hem!” Earl bellows, almost blowing the torches out such is his fury. “I will not have this barracking!” 


“She sought to…” I protest.


“Look, you are both overwrought with disappointment. Stop lashing out at each other, you've been friends for hundreds of years. Go and deal with the source of the problem: your children.”


“But…” 


“Queen Jennifer and Lady Deborah, return!” 


ALDERMAN BERNADUS


Neither Caroline nor I say anything. It is not often that Earl does that, and never on royalty. 


“Earl?”


“I have had enough of this, every year it is the same. They come pleading their case, but without having made any effort!” He strides around the room. “So annoying! I believe it, you know!”


“Now Earl, let’s not…”


“Ostende mihi faciem eorum!” He snarls, the room is bathed in light, showing two quadrants. The Queen’s Liberty-Pitts and Lady Deborah’s Le Mont Washington covens. I shake my head as I see Michael ignoring his Uncle’s adviser, Emmett’s, pleas to get dressed, saying he is going for a nap and to wake him when his consort David arrives. In the other, Lindsay is feeding grapes to Christopher, Michael’s half-brother. He eats with a disinterested air. “See what I mean?! The only change is the outfits!”


“Earl!” Caroline stops his pacing. “So what do we do? We are running out of excuses!”


“I don't know.” He sighs wearily.


“Maybe it is time. Maybe they are both ready?”


“They are not, hence the ruling!” Earl almost pins me to the wall. “Sorry, Bernardus, but I cannot countenance them ruling. It will descend into anarchy and mayhem! They think only of themselves!” 


“Ostende…” I begin.


“In English, please!” Caroline demands, having long given up Latin.


“Show them to me.” I smile. 


Again, the room is bathed in light, but the determination and passion in these two is as powerful as is laziness in the other two. They are both doing the same thing: practising with long swords. They are mirroring each other parry for parry, but are on the opposite sides of the world.


“What I meant was, maybe it’s time, it’s time for the kings to meet.”


“Really? How?” Caroline gasps.


“We tell the families that we have reconsidered…”


“That’s unheard of!” Earl declares.


“Exactly! So when the Master Lieutenants, Kinney and Taylor meet, they will think nothing of it. They will see it as a job, preparing them for ascension.”


“When in fact…” Caroline smiles.


“We are preparing them for their lives together, just like the old romantics we are!” I chuckle. “And you can bet they are going to fight every step of the way!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.