- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - HISTORY OF HERMA, MICHAEL, JENNIFER AND DEBS


THORNLEY HILL UPMC - THREE DAYS LATER


OFFICE OF DR TED SCHMIDT


EMMETT


I am so right about this! I smile at Ted as he peers into a microscope. “Well, is it? Is Georgie correct?”


“Yes, it is Herma, but a lesser strain. After all these years, I do not understand its resurgence.” He heads to his bookcase and I smile. Despite this modern age, he still prefers paper, pen and pencil. Whilst he flicks through the pages, I look around this pristine office. “Eureka as Archimedes would say!” He scurries back to the microscope and looks between that and the book. “Hmmm, now that makes sense.”


I am about to say something when there is a sharp rap on the door. I hide my smile then clear my throat. “I figured you would need a bit of help, so I asked Georgie’s steward, Todd, who has some medical experience, to assist.”


“Thanks, Ems. Enter!” He calls out before going back to the microscope.


“Thank you.” Todd says as he comes in. “Hello, Emmett, you must be Dr Schmidt. Pleased to make your acquaintance.” I bite back my laugh as Ted’s hand comes out, but he is still looking through the scope. “Why don't you put me to work straight away? Seems you are clearly in need of my assistance.” Todd questions whilst shaking his hand, which finally gets Ted to look up.


“I am so sorry! Yes, I am Dr Schmidt, nice to meet you, Todd.” 


“That’s fine. I know what it is like to be focused on something, especially something like this. So, is it?”


“Yes, as I was saying to Ems, it is but a much milder strain…”


“Milder? Why would it come back milder...may I? Surely it would mutate up, not down.” When Ted steps aside, Todd takes a look before his jaw drops. “This is...I can’t believe anyone would do this?!” Todd explodes.


“What?!” I demand.


“Recreate it.” Ted sighs. “The original strain was able to be controlled with medicine, this strain is an artificial one, and until we find out the composition of it, we can't even begin to think of a way how to control it.”


“Fuck my life!” I whisper. “We need to tell the Alderman and  Elder Statesman Rodney.”


“And right now.” Todd snarls.


CHAMBER OF ALDERMEN ELDERS, ICELAND - NEXT DAY


LORD VICTOR


Every ruler of covens in the USA have been summoned, the air is tense. Debs was pissed that she couldn’t come with me, but their instructions were clear: the chief ruler only, which is me, although Emmett has been granted dispensation since be was there at the discovery. But what is even more interesting is that Brian, Justin, Mel, and Ben are also present. 


“Thank you all for coming at such short notice, but disturbing news reached us last night.” Rodney explains. “You are all familiar with Dr Schmidt…well he has advised that an artificial strain of Hematemesis, or, as we know it, Herma has been deliberately created.” We absorb that in shocked silence. “It seems that it is contained within the USA as there has been no cases reported elsewhere.”


“So now what happens?” Everyone turns to King Craig in surprise. He may be royalty, but he is known for his reticence in meetings. “I am assuming by the presence of the Master Lieutenants and their Master at Arms that the edict has been reached?”


“It has.” Rodney replies with a slight smile. “Where is he?”


“Outside. I did not wish to…”


“Sapperstein, grant him entry!” Rodney orders, and, if possible, it gets quieter.


Sapperstein strides to the door, and in comes Brandon Green. He is King Craig’s cousin, and is the only three quarter vampire in the world, and the only people who know that are in this room. Being more than half, but less than pure has its advantages. He has less power than a pure, but more than a half, so he can read people but can’t move them like Brian or Justin can.


“Elder…”


“No, none of that!” Rodney stops him. “So, Herma, albeit artificially, is back. The edict is thus: The person or persons who has done this will be banished from the covens to live out the rest of their days as humans, if they are Vampires, or turned if they are Human…”


“But that…” King Craig begins before nodding. “...I see.”


“As we all know, turning a Vamp back means they last a week, if that. I know you are wondering why a Human would be turned. Brandon, if you could explain?”


“Of course, Rod…” He is staring at Brian’s group. “...uh, wow, when did that happen?” 


“Brandon?” Rodney prompts with a small smile.


“Oh yes, uh, sorry. Turning a Human as a punishment takes a different method, in that they are not bitten. They are injected and have no powers.”


Judging by the look on Rodney’s face, I am not the only one who is wondering what has just been ‘discussed’ between Brian and Justin.


LE MONT WASHINGTON COVEN - LATE EVENING


CHRISTOPHER’S ROOM


DAVID


I look across at Chris and smile. He is still studying, despite having aced the mock. Gus and JR have given up trying to encourage him to put the books away and relax.


“What are you doing in here?!” Lady Deborah demands as she comes in. “I thought I was clear in that you two were to go out and enjoy yourselves. You’ve been working so hard. Shake a tail feather, as Emmett would trill!”


“Come on, Chris, you have done nothing but study for the last few hours…” I cajole, with a sigh he looks up. “...just a couple of hours. I promise that you can study all morning tomorrow…”


“All morning with no interruptions?” He looks at us both guardedly. 


“Yes, we promise!” Lady Deborah smiles, which is a bit disconcerting as she is normally very stone-faced with him. “Now go enjoy yourselves, that’s a direct order again! You have five minutes to start packing, or I do it for you!


“Okay, okay, I will…”


“Ma, where are you?!” Michael bellows down the corridor, I roll my eyes. 


“Just coming, sweetheart! Make sure he packs!” She calls over her shoulder as she goes to tend to whatever is ailing him this time! 


Twenty minutes later, we are outside the coven doors, which have been very firmly shut behind us.


CHRISTOPHER’S ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


DEBS


I rush back upstairs to find Michael standing there scowling. “Where the hell has he put them?!” 


“What do you mean, where has he put them?! They were just here a few minutes ago!” I declare.


“He’s hidden them! Why would he hide them?!” He demands. “Why is this drawer locked?! I bet they’re in there!” Michael rages.


“Sweetheart, calm down. Let’s find the key.” Twenty minutes later, we are both furious as it is clear that he has most likely taken it with him. “How can I get him back without raising suspicion?”


“Back? Back from where?”


“I sent him and David out so that we could get hold of his books. That way you could copy his notes.”


“Why couldn’t I have been a pure-blood…” He pouts, sitting on the bed. “...then I could read his mind! That’s so unfair that they can do that!”


“I know, but he would be able to tell, remember?” I sit next to him. He looks paler than normal, and his fangs are starting to yellow. “You have got to feed more regularly now.”


“I know. Where is Emmett anyway?”


“He was taken by Vic to a meeting. Didn’t say what it was about, just that I couldn’t come with him.” The bang of the door has us both heading to the window and looking out. I am surprised to see it is Queen Jennifer. “Were you expecting her?”


“No.”


“Hopefully she won’t stay long.” I sigh as he follows me downstairs.


HALL


JENNIFER


I look at each of them then around the hall. It is a source of annoyance to me that the Grassis were granted this coven, and we’re nearer the less salubrious side of Pittsburgh. 


“I will come to the point of my visit quickly.” My tone causes Debs to frown. “As you know, Lindsay has decided against acceding and is no longer wishing to remain with Christopher. A mistake in my opinion, but they have accepted her decision.”


“What does this have to do with us?” Michael drawls as he lounges on his Uncle’s throne,


“You will not show such ill manners. Remove yourself from the throne! You have not passed the tests yet, and at this rate you never will!” I snap, and with one flick of my wrist he is on the other side of the room, winded against the walls.


“Michael! Sweetheart, are you alright?!” Debs screeches.


“Move from him!” I growl, slowly Debs looks at me.


“Uh, Jen…”


“Quoque conde sepulcro eius!” I order, he goes still, and, mercifully, quiet.


“Jen, how could you?!” Debs touches the ice block that is her favoured child.


“I warned you, Debs, I warned you. Stop Michael, step him away from this. Christopher is, and will be a better ruler. Michael does not even want to rule. You cannot remain in power to rule by proxy! Step him away and let Christopher do it!” For long minutes, neither of us says anything. “Because Brandon is here.” I smile at her pinched look at the read. “And he is never here without good reason. You and I both know that he…” I jab my finger at Michael. “...brought Herma here the first time…”


“He was young!” Debs, once again defends.


“He was one hundred and five!” I scream at her. “He is responsible for the suffering of thousands of people because he played Gigolo around the world! He went to a region where Herma was rife and brought it back with him!”


“Jennifer, you forget that I know you compelled Craig, so you are in…”


“No I am not remotely in the same boat! Those times were different. And the reason you want him to accede is not only to finally be ‘queen of this castle', but also so that he can be absolved of anything without having to say what it is! Stop this, and I say nothing like I promised. Thank goodness they found the cure, because if they hadn't I dread to think of the decimation.” She strides to the door. “And don’t you forget one other thing: Christopher’s memory can also be unlocked too!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.