- Text Size +

CHAPTER 18 - EPIPHANY AND AN EMPATH


BACK COURTYARD, MERCURY TOWER - EARLY EVENING


GUS


I catch the scathing look from Michael as we check out the cars. They are all Dodge Challenger Hellcats, so pure muscle cars. 


“And we are doing what now?” He asks.


“Following on from Lord Victor’s edict, so seeing how you can drive. Now that you will have to do it yourselves.” I reply. “You can’t just rely on being fleet of foot to get you from place to place. Now, everyone, please listen. You will have a couple of practice laps, then race against each other. Questions?”


I am not sure what conversation is going on between the Master Lieutenants, but going by the smiles on Mel and Ben’s faces, something good! 


“Do you think they are talking to each other, like mind-talking?” JR whispers.


“I think so.” I look across at them again. Brian looks stunned, but happy, as Justin walks off smirking. “Yeah, definitely!”


“Oh, I so wish I could do that!” She complains. “Though, that being said, I wouldn’t want the ability to see inside their cesspits!”


“JR!” I snicker. “Be nice! What have cesspits ever done to you?!”


“As there are no questions, I don’t see the need for practise laps, let’s just start the races!” Michael snipes. “Who am I up against? Christopher, I suppose?”


“Nope. You are up against me.” Ben replies coolly. “Sure you don’t want to practice first? In the time I’ve been here, I’ve not seen you drive.”


“I am quite sure, let us begin.” Michael declares before getting in a car then winding down the window. “So it’s quickest to finish then, is it?”


“Yes.” I retort. “On your marks, get set...go!” Ben roars off, leaving Michael not only in his dust, but also in the bush that he reversed into. “Do you need some help with the gear stick?”


“No thank you!” He growls before spending a good five minutes trying to extricate himself, during which time Ben has reversed very slowly back to the starting line whilst we’re all trying not to laugh. And by all, I mean all as the entire coven is either hanging out of the windows or gathered by the back door.


“Michael, let someone help you!” Lord Victor calls out, so I skip over. “Thank you, Gus!”


“My pleasure, Lord Victor! Now, Michael, if you could get out of the car so that I can...well, you know.” 


“You’ve just contradicted yourself, Vic.” Lady Deborah side eyes him. “Which is it to be, that he does it himself or people help him?” Emmett squeezes his palms together and looks heavensward. “We wouldn’t want confusion in the coven, would we?”


“Lady Deborah…” I see Lord Victor’s fangs lengthen, before he leans into her ear and begins to whisper. Her face changes from smug to annoyed, then she gets up and joins me by the car. This leaves both Michael and me confused. “...thank you, Sister dear!” Lord Victor calls out.


“Gus, I will help Michael with the car, you can go back to your place.” She grits out. He slides across to the passenger seat, and she gets in, before proceeding to make the situation a whole worse by reversing further and quicker...thus hitting the wall.


“Oh, for fuck sake!” Someone yells. “I had no idea how much we actually do for them!”


“Maybe Mel and I should race?” Lindsay suggests. “Whilst they are being extricated from their current predicament.”


“This is insane. How do you two not know how to fucking drive at your age?!” Justin blasts, as he strides over. “Cut the engine! By that, I mean take keys out of the ignition, then get out!” Silently, they do as they are told. He reaches in, I can hear him shifting the gears. “It is now in drive. Get back in and let’s do this!” But something makes him frown, then he looks under the car. “Oh for...Ben!” 


“What’s up?! Ben demands, joining him in the crouched position. “Drew, Brian, Mel, Brandon...we need muscle! Back wheels are caught over the channel, so they will just spin until we get them over!”


“Master...I mean Ben, can I help?!” Hunter calls out.


“Yeah, the more the merrier!” Ben shouts back, and soon the car is hauled over the channel and out of the bushes. “Let’s just wheel it over there, shall we?” 


LINDSAY


Oh, this is hysterical! I am enjoying their humiliation. “Loinsay, could you focus, perchance?” I gape at Mother’s butchering of my name and my lack of decorum previously. “They are asking you to race Mel. You know, like you asked?”


“Thank you, Mother.” 


“You are most welcome, and remember to dip, not crawl, into the car. We wouldn’t want anything to be exposed, now would we?”


Smarting, I head to the car. “Which one is mine?” I smile at her. She just points and gets in the other car. “So, my Ice Queen needs to be melted, does she?” I murmur to myself.


“She’s not icy, and she will never be your queen!” Booms into my head. “Believe me, she is most definitely not interested in you! No, stay in the car…” I close the door. “...much better, now get this straight: back off. I don’t have a single problem making you look like an inept simpleton, and anything you try to do, I will fuck up for you. Leave her alone. Go do what you do best and shop. I understand that the range of clit vibrators have been improved. Google is your friend...I am not!


I look around, it seems like time has stood still. There is a swirling mist, and from what I can see through it, nobody is moving! “Who is this?!”


“Not your friend.” The voice repeats before it and the mist are gone.


“So you want to practice, or shall we just race?” Mel calls out.


“Just race!” I reply.


“On your marks, get set...go!” Gus shouts.


I am pleased with myself as I was only two seconds behind her, but at least I was ahead of Michael, who finished dead last. But the best race was between Brian and Justin, they crossed the line together! So, on the fourth, Gus made them take the laps again, but with him and JR in each car. I have to admit, it is so thrilling, watching someone with proper skills doing that! 


“Time!” David calls out, as once more they cross together. “How? Just how is that possible?!” He and Christopher compare stopwatches, but something doesn’t sit right, I turn to look at JR as she gets out of Brian’s car.


“JR, are you okay?” I ask as I approach. She wobbles to a halt. “JR, are you okay?!” I repeat and stop her from moving. “Mother!” I shout over my shoulder. Within seconds, she and Daddy are by my side. “What’s wrong with her?”


“Queen Jennifer, if you could give her this, please!” Emmett orders. Mother takes the glass, then pushes the straw into JR’s mouth. “Drink, Little Miss, and don’t do that again!” 


The courtyard is silent as JR finishes, it takes a few seconds, but she starts to look a little better. “Well that’s not…”


She hadn’t fed! She is running on pure excitement and adrenaline. “How could you endanger yourself like that?! Despite your fifty years, you are still a child! You don’t have fully formed reserves at your age. Always feed. Never do that! Ever again, do you understand and promise?!” Everyone is staring at me. I have no idea where that came from!


“I do and I promise.” Is her meek reply.


“Are you still hungry? Emmett, that was honey water, I take it?” He nods. “Okay, does anyone have chocolate, preferably dark?!” I call out.


“Some in the kitchen, two minutes!” Hunter shouts over his shoulder as he runs inside.


“So the squire is not so smart then?!” Michael jibes.


“Thanks for your input, Mr 7%!” I snap, before running to my seat and grabbing my cloak. “What was I thinking wearing this?!” I mutter as I rejoin them. “Put this on, JR, you feel too clammy still.”


“Lindsay, are you okay?” Daddy frowns.


“Fine, but we need to get her replenished.” I brush off his concern for me whilst watching for the return of Hunter. Ten minutes later, everyone is relieved as JR is back to full strength, but I have an odd feeling in my mind.


“It’s called pride. Well done.” The voice from earlier states and I have to admit it feels really good!


JR


I can't believe she, of all people, did that! And as much as I love and admire Mel, this cloak feels so much better than hers, so soft. “You can keep it if you like, we can shorten it for you.” Lindsay smiles down at me.


“No thank you…” 


“I see and understand.” She sighs.


“No you don’t. I want to grow into it. I am still a devil child after all.”


“Well, until you do, I have one from when I was your age that will fit, and you can keep that as is. And…” She takes a huge breath. “...you are not a devil child. You’re just smarter and younger than me. And to be taught, it rankled. Sorry.”


“Thank you. You gonna say sorry to Gus too? Two devil children, remember?”


“Absolutely.” She sighs, then looks down at herself. “I look like an idiot.”


“Um, yeah, you do.” Hunter startles us. “But I have leggings and a tee that you could borrow. I mean, if you want.” 


“She wants.” I declare, before turning back to the group. “Everyone meet us in the pool room in fifteen minutes!” 


POOL ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRANDON


“Are you absolutely sure?!” I demand of Todd and Ted, they both nod. “I knew I could feel something, but this?!” I sigh before looking skyward. “Alderman, if you please!” I call out.


“What is going on?!” Alderman Earl bellows as he and the others bloom in. “Let me in.” He orders, and for a few minutes he reads, which I hate, but being a three quarter means I can block a Pure. “Gather those that are here who were at the last meeting! And only them!” 


Within five minutes, everyone, like the Avengers is assembled! “Brian with me; incant!” He nods. “Et oblinito effectum adducuntur ulteriusque!” Soon the room is filled with swirling mists. It is quiet, and everyone outside of our ‘cocoon’ is still.


“So what is going on?!” King Craig demands. “What was with that sudden switch in personalities? What game is Lindsay playing.”


“She’s not, your highness.” I sigh. “But I am curious as to why you didn't mention it.”


“Mention what?” King Craig looks confused, I watch Brian carefully, he shakes his head.


“You didn’t know? Of course you wouldn’t. All adoptions are sealed, so you just see the child.”


“Didn’t know what?!” He demands.


“Lindsay is an empath. JR was so hungry, but was powering through, but being in the car with Brian sapped her strength…”


“An empath...are you sure?!” King Craig gasps.


“I am sure. Okay, I played a little dirty to warn her off Mel, but then I felt it. She was worried, so I pushed into Michael and planted the seed that JR needed help. He did mention it to his Mother, but when Lindsay and her parents went to assist, they lost interest, and spent the time during that bitching about Lord Victor’s new rules and how it has embarrassed them, how he is playing favourites with Christopher now. But he’s got a solution to that, he’s going to go after…”


“No!” Justin shouts. “He’s not! It’s fine, no problems there! Back to Lindsay.”


“Drew would not be interested anyway.” I scoff. “But yes, back to…”


“Drew? Michael is interested in Drew, as in Drew?” Emmett growls. “Why?”


“Emmett, can you and Justin talk about this afterwards?” Brian takes his chin, forcing him to look at him. “Justin can explain it gentler than me. We need to concentrate on what is going on with Lindsay and Justin right  now, so, please, can we?” 


“Me and Lindsay, why is there a me and Lindsay?” Justin frowns.


“Show me the lines! Angelina, get your ass in here!” Alderman Lorelle shouts, in seconds she arrives. “Sorry for the…”


“Forgiven! Let us read!” Higher Alderman Angelina retorts. “Rodney! Come on! 


Now the ‘lines’ have always fascinated me. As we watch the ‘proper history’ be written out, I feel his anger. “Calm him down.” I whisper to Justin.


“Brian, can you do what you did at the waterfall just for a minute?” 


“Fine.” He snarls, and much to the relief of everyone they are sealed off.


JUSTIN


“So you read ahead...why is there a me and Lindsay? Would rather you told me.”


“She’s your sister, half, mother’s side. She’s two years older. She gave her up immediately, never told your father.”


“I can see why you would want me to speak to Emmett, that was brutal!” I give what he has just said some thought. “Well that explains my lack of hatred for her. Any time I was in her company, I always felt something, but not sure what.”


“Now you know.” 


“So why are you mad?” I rub his knuckles. He starts to calm down and I smile. “I’m okay. Yeah, I am pissed that someone meddled with our lines, but don’t take on my pain. I can handle that myself...I know I don’t have to, but remember that other part of you, the one you’ve only protected me from, not the rest of the world? Please let me handle this. Will tap you in if needs be, okay?” 


“Fine. but only just!” 


“Can we go back out now?” I get my answer when the mists clear and there are very worried faces peering at us. “I will tell her. Brian will be back up, but will only come in when asked. So what else is there?”


“Well, apart from James Dixon being Michael’s birth father, and…”


“At least you’re not related by blood, just briefly by marriage.” Brian grumbles.


“You were adopted by Dixon and his wife?!” Rodney exclaims.


“I thought you would know that. How don’t you know that? You are the Aldermen?!” Brian shouts. 


“Brian.” Again I take his hands. “Look at me. In with the good air…”


“...out with the bad…”


“...inhale the sweet…”


“...to replace the sour…”


“...so that you won’t be dour...”


“...sad or mad.” Nobody says a word as I calm my Warlock down. “Of all the things to plant in my head, you pick that!” He gripes, before turning to the assembled group. “I am okay, just as long as there are no more surprises.”


“Um...just one.” Alderman Bernardus sighs.


“What?” I demand.

 

“Dixon has a cousin, he is Equerry Sapperstein. It is him, we think, that has messed with the lines!” Bernardus spits. “But rest assured, a Pure line cannot be tampered with, so their path and connection is real."

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thx