- Text Size +

CHAPTER 21 - MOTHER, BROTHER, SISTER...OTHER


DINNER - FOURTH COURSE


SAPPERSTEIN


These things are so fucking boring! I don’t see why I had to be here! I pick at a piece of beetroot, and look at the menu again. Another three courses! I jump as something is around my ankles. 


“Sorry, Equerry Sapperstein! It’s Cute…”


“What is, and who are you?!” I demand of the young man...a very fine looking young man!


“Cute is the ferret, and I am Hunter.” He smiles. I take his outstretched hand, which is so delicate. “It is a pleasure to meet you.” A squeak gets his attention. “Sorry, need to get him before he...aww nuts!” He cries. “Before he does that! Excuse me!”


As I watch him dash away, all I can think is nuts indeed!


Alderman Caroline’s tap on my shoulder has me coughing the beet back up. It is swiftly cleared away. ”Didn’t mean to startle you. Are you okay?” 


“Oh...yes, thank you. Just thinking about the deliciousness of the food!” I return.


“It is a very good spread. Such a talented boy. Although I can get some, but not sure that would be good for your system.” She takes a seat.


“Excuse me? What do you mean?


“Nuts. You were thinking about them.”


“Oh, I see.” I am thankful that’s all I thought!


“Such a talented young man. Under Emmett’s tutelage, he’s doing an excellent job of running the household.” 


“Got you!” Is suddenly hollered. Everyone turns to Hunter popping out from behind the head table holding some form of creature. “Ah, Master Lieutenants! Finally got him. Cuter is with Lindsay!”


“Thanks, Hunter.” Master Lieutenant Kinney calls back. 


“Why are whatever they are here?” I query, changing my focus.


“Ferrets, and they are part of the training programme for Master Michael, and Master Christopher. Not sure whether Concomitant David will be taking part in the physical training, but everything else he wants to learn.”


“I see. You said that Hun...Hunter, was it, runs this household? How old…”


“Yes he does.” She smiles, but as ever when she smiles at me, I feel really uncomfortable. I struggle to find something to say. “Ah, the next course is being served. We can eat together, won’t that be nice?”


ALDERMAN CAROLINE


If he thinks that I didn’t catch that look, he is sorely mistaken! I have always said that he should not be in our service, but I was away and when I came back, despite my very vocal misgivings, he’s been with us ever since! 


“So what is the training schedule for tomorrow?” Sapperstein asks between mouthfuls. He eats like a deranged warthog! “I am curious to see what it entails.” 


“Not sure...but the orbeez training organised by JR was very amusing. Michael got himself and his mother in a pickle with muncher cars, and…”


“Muscle.” I turn to a chuckling Mel, who joins us. “Muncher means something completely different!” 


“Indeed.” Sapperstein looks repulsed.


“So you can eat…” I begin.


“Ah, Caroline, my dear! Bernardus wants to speak to you.” Virgnia’s grip is strong as she hauls me out of the seat. “And take your plate.” She commands, muttering soothing thoughts as I head towards him


“Lower your hackles.” Bernardus orders as I sit down. “It won’t help us get him if you alert him to our suspicions...I know there is no need to shout!” His eye twitches. “Apology accepted, but he’s not acting on those feelings...” 


“He’s been looking at Hunter.” I mutter. 


“Are you sure?” He demands. “I could not pick up anything.” I centre myself. As much as I love Bernardus, he is an optimist, a romantic, and sees the best side of everyone! “I do not!”


“Yes you do.” I sigh. “He asked about the training.” His eyebrows go up. “Well, if he wants to know so badly, I know exactly who to speak to. Excuse me.”


I head back to join Mel. Whilst Sapperstein has gone, she has been joined by Jared and Ben. I have always championed the pair of them. Now that the lines have been put in their proper places, they have a very long life ahead with each other...as long as Jared isn’t in jail! And the reason is heading this way, walking as if he hasn’t quite wiped. Thank goodness we excrete our food differently!


“Mel, Jacob, and Ben, how are you enjoying the evening so far?” Michael slimes.


“Be…” Jared begins.


“Jacob, I haven't heard much about you. Tell me about yourself?” He starts to sit opposite Jared, but it is whipped away. This means he hits his face on the edge of the table before landing on the floor. “Ouch, fucking hell!” He shouts, before quickly standing up. He turns to the seat stealer, tapping him hard on the shoulder. “That is mine! I am Master of this House, get up...now!”


“You are not, and I will not.” The person retorts without turning around. Everyone goes quiet.


“Who the fuck do you think you are?!” Michael blazes.


The sigh reverberates around the room. “If you learned your history like everyone else who is showing deference, you…”


“Deference?! Why should I show deference to some shitbag who comes to my coven, eats my food, and behaves like some hoodlum?!”


“Because…” The hoodlum stands and turns. “...I am Elder Statesman Maurice, who alongside Angelina, has governed the Highest Counsel for over 600 years! Now, whilst you can, return to your quarters! Before you retire for the evening, prepare your fulsome apology to be received by me dead on 0800 or else!”


“I am…” Michael stammers.


“OUT!” Maurice’s bellows, and he speeds up Michael’s exit!


JR


I was on my way to Lindsay when that all kicked off.


“Please, everyone return to the merriment!” Elder Statesman Maurice orders. The music and chatter starts up immediately. As I pass his table, something catches my eye. I duck down and pick it up. “Are you alright, JR?” I’m frozen in shock! He is talking to me, and he knows my name! He is talking to me and knows my name! “Calm yourself, halfling.”  His smile is kind.


“Iwsant lduygihyt…” I trail off, embarrassed by my babbling.


“Let me try this another way…” For a few seconds he just looks at me. “...ah, I see Lindsay is over in the corner to the left of the top table.” 


“Thank you.” I gaze at him in wonderment, Yes, being read by the Master Lieutenant is cool, but he’s...wow!!! I bob my head and scurry towards Lindsay, who is cuddling Cuter.


“Hey, J...what’s wrong?” She frowns. “Do you want to go outside?” I nod. It takes us less than five minutes to get into the cool of the night. “Now tell me.”


“That man. I don’t like him, he makes me shudder!” I whisper. 


“What man?”


“The Equerry. I get the same feeling I got when I first met the pair of you.”


“We weren’t…” She begins.


“No, you don’t understand. I got that from him, and him alone!” I assert. “You, you were just spoilt and lazy, but he, he just...what was that?!”


LINDSAY


I turn to the noise. It is coming from the bushes. “Who is there?! Come out!” The bushes rustle, I can hear muttering, but not what is being said, then feel a rush of wind. “Out I say!” I take JR’s hand pulling her behind me. “When I tell you to, run as fast as you can back inside. Do you understand?!” I whisper.


“Not leaving you!” She whispers back, holding my hand tighter.


“Hello, Lindsay, JR...what are you doing out here?” Master Lieutenant Taylor strides down the path. “Is everything okay?”


We both whirl around in surprise. “I...uh...we thought there was someone watching us.” My heart is racing and JR is trembling. 


“Why would they be watching you?” He frowns, then I notice JR’s expression. She, for the first time since I have known her, looks scared. “JR? Okay, let’s go to the gazebo. It’s just behind us.” His tone is gentle, and, slowly, her fear recedes.


GAZEBO - FIVE MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


“So.” I prompt, whilst feeling so guilty for putting the fear in JR. Brian and I wanted to ‘talk’ in private, and got a little carried away! I told him to leave my ears alone! “The watching.”


“Master Lieutenant, JR was saying something else to me...go on.” She nods encouragingly.


“The Equerry and Master Michael...I got the same feeling off of them, not nice, really not nice.”


“May I enter?” Brian calls from the door. I beckon him in. “What do you mean not nice, JR?”


“He really doesn’t like Emmett, and he’s one of the nicest persons ever! I don’t want him to accede, please don’t let him! Can you speak to the Aldermen about these kings that he mentioned?!”


“JR, I need you to be calm, please be calm. Good girl.” Lindsay cajoles whilst stroking her hair. “Now, who mentioned what kings?”


“The Equerry. I was in here when he said it, I was looking for Cuter. He told the guy he was on the phone with to come tomorrow and just do as he’s told. Oh, and he said something about lines, a spoiled brat, and the guy on the phone being his father!”


“Did he mention a name?” Lindsay queries.


“Not here, no, but on the way he did. He was really annoyed that he called him whilst he was here. He said Dixon.”


Brian hunkers down. “JR, thank you for telling us this. Now come with me. Lindsay and Justin need to talk. I promise he will bring her straight to you once they are finished.”


“Only if Lindsay is okay with it.” She asserts. When Lindsay nods, she takes Brian’s hand, and he gives me a quick wink.


“Do you know much of Sapperstein?” She asks.


“Not really. There have been many things said about his time before he came into service. He was in England for a while…” She scowls. “...so how does it feel?” 


“I don’t know how to feel. No, that’s not true. I would feel something, but push it back; selfishness I guess. An empath, me, oh the irony!” 


“Do you know anything about your birth parents?” 


“I was given up immediately. My mother didn’t realise that my father was a vampire. It seems he would file his teeth down to look human.” My eyebrows bounce up and down. “I had a letter to read when I was old enough.” 


“Do you know their names?”


“Lois. She never gave me his name. I must admit, I am glad that I don’t know him.” This surprises me. “As I grew up, I really resented the fact that I wasn’t a full half, so when I got the opportunity and my looks began to fade...oh, I was very vain when I was younger...I begged Queen Jennifer to turn the rest of me on my 21st birthday as a present. Eh, voila, here I am!”


LINDSAY


I don’t know why I told him that, but it just felt right to do. “I also must apologise for my behaviour towards you and Master Lieutenant Kinney before.”


“Accepted. So how does it feel? Being a big sister to…”


“JR and Gus? It is so nice that they want me to be that to them…”


“Not just them. My...my mother was also called Lois. She had a second child, after you...”


“You...you're my ...what kind of brother?!” I gasp, as I had felt this pull, but, as usual, pushed it back.


“Seemingly half. Someone has been interfering with the lines; it has only been discovered.”


“Why? Why would someone do that?!” I demand. 


“We’re trying to find that out. In the meantime, let’s go rejoin JR before she comes and gets you.” Justin chuckles then frowns. “Why are you looking at me like that?”


I giggle. “Nothing bad. Just that...whoever it is, they like you. They like you a lot!”


GREAT HALL - FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“See? They’re back, and don’t look upset.” I reassure a staring-at-the-door JR.


“She’s a lot nicer than she thinks, and...darn it!” She cries, before ducking under the table.


“What’s happened?” I ask, as she seems to be feeling for something.


“I dropped it! I hope nobody steps on it!” She continues to search.


“JR, what have you dropped?” I demand.


“A fang, well half of one. Found it by Elder Statesman Maurice…”


“What are you two doing?” Justin asks, as he and Lindsay join us.


“I found half a fang, which I have now lost; I was just checking it was still in there, and I must have...aha!” We retake our seats, then JR places the half-fang on the table and peers at it. We all do. “It’s a perfect half. I might get it put on a chain.”

 

Justin and I exchange looks, both knowing that one of the symptoms of Herma is that your fangs start to become very brittle.

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thx