- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - CHALLENGE ACCEPTED AND THE UNEXPECTED


MICHAEL’S ROOM 


DIXON


“So how long were you with Justin’s mom for?” Michael asks.


“For almost 10 years. The separation wasn’t amicable, we lost touch quickly.” I return, whilst checking his quarters out. They are quite palatial, but something is off. “Where does David stay?”


“He has his own room, down the hall.”


“Your fiance doesn’t share a room with you? Why not?”


“I prefer to sleep on my own.” Michael shrugs. “He doesn’t mind. Besides, our study patterns are different. I find it easier to study at night, he doesn’t like..”


“So, James…” Lady Deborah interrupts. “...what are your plans with regards to my son?”


“Our son.” I correct smoothly. “I want to be involved as much as I can in his tutelage. It is not well known, but I taught Justin some of what he knows, so that could be used to Michael’s advantage, when it comes to weaponry and....”


“Weapons skills I have, it’s the theoretical side that I struggle with…” We all look to the door at the snickering. “...first, what is so funny?” Michael demands. “And secondly, who said you could enter my chambers?”


“Michael.” Lord Victor leans against the wall. “I still rule, so that makes this and everything in it mine. I don’t need permission to enter any room which is not sealed as sacrosanct. This is basic knowledge. As for your braggadocio regarding your skills, take that with a pinch of salt, Mr Dixon. Now, what are we discussing?”


“We?” I frown. “Why is there a ‘we’?” I smile tightly.


“Because I say so.” He returns. “If you have a problem with this, any of you, then do feel free to leave.”


“Leave?!” Michael exclaims. “Are you kicking us out?!”


“Not at all, I’m giving you a choice. I have spoken to George and Drew, they are willing to house you in their coven until you can set up your own.”


“Our own?” I frown. “Why would this be an option?”


“Because if he fails his tests, he will be viewed as a disruptive influence and would have to be stripped of his title, such that it is, then moved to another coven.” Lord Victor adjusts his position. “You have an hour to meet us in the Mercury Tower training room.”


LORD VICTOR


I click my heels before leaving them stunned and silent. As I head to my chambers, I hear his door open. “Vic!” Debs calls out, even though every fibre of my being wants to run, I turn around. “What was that about? How could you embarrass Michael and me like that?!”


“How does stating the facts embarrass you?” I query, then shake my head. “It has been enshrined in law for centuries that if an ascension fails, then the pretenders to the throne and their cohorts or supporters are banished. Whilst they can be relocated to another coven, this is only for three months, then they have to set up on their own, with, of course, their contingent.” 


“How long have you known about this?!” She gasps.


“Again, enshrined in law for centuries. And speaking of knowing, do you know whose and what these are? I mean the half fang is obvious, but this phial, it was found near the gazebo, any clues?”


“No, but I can find out for…”


“No, that won’t be necessary. I can do that.” I smile. “Now excuse me. See you in 55 minutes, I assume you will be joining us?”


“Of course I will.” She snipes. “And Michael will prove you wrong!” 


LORD VICTOR’S CHAMBERS - FIVE MINUTES LATER


EMMETT


“Well, what did she say?!” I demand upon Vic’s entry. “I have taken the liberty of sealing the book so she can’t double check just in case.”


“She bought it. Do you want to try still?” Vic looks kindly at Lindsay. She nods before looking at the half fang.


“It’s not the same side.” She frowns. “Didn’t JR give this to you? I thought that’s what you were talking about?”


“No…” Vic chuckles. “...she was…”


“Why would JR give him a half fang?” I frown.


“Because she found one at the dinner, but come to think of it, it is the opposite side. So what was she talking to you about?”


“The phial. She found it this morning...she was going to show Brian and Justin, but they weren’t available.”


LORD VICTOR


“We’re available now.” Brian opening the door startles us all.  “Please excuse the churlish look from Justin, he’s a little tired.” He smirks over his shoulder. “But we’re here for what you need...though he’s a little depleted...”


“Brian!” Justin admonishes.


“Ooh. Do dish!” Emmett giggles.


“Twice, and...okay, okay!” 


“Thank you!” Justin . “So is there any chance I could have some...” Justin looks at the tray that Emmett brought up. “...ooh, cherries!” He exclaims then grabs a handful. 


“Wait, this is sacrosanct and sealed, how are you two in here?” Lindsay frowns.


“Warlock. Half…” Brian points to himself. “...and almost half.” He leers at Justin, who starts to feed him fruits.


As the clementine juices run down his fingers and Brian cleans them, I begin to feel like a voyeur. “Gentlemen, if we could get back to the matter in hand...”


“Sorry, Lord Victor.” Brian demurs whilst he clearly isn’t. “In answer to…”


“You two!” Lindsay cries out. “Oh my...oh my!” She goes bug eyed and red. “You, you were outside at the dinner, in the bushes…”


“Justin!” Brian growls. Like him previously, Justin doesn’t look sorry. “I said okay, why did you…”


“He didn’t…” Lindsay interjects. “...I felt he liked someone, besides his ‘arrival’ down the path was far too quick!” She then turns to Emmett. “He doesn’t have a chance, and you know that, but how have you managed to keep you and Drew so quiet?”


“How did you know?” Emmett queries.


“Nothing ‘empathetic’, it is how George gets in the way of anyone who approaches Drew when you are around. I won’t tell anyone.” 


“I see. And thank you.” He looks relieved.


“So the fang and the phial?” Justin has perked up. “Give them to her Lord Victor, let’s see what she can tell us.”


LINDSAY


I hold out my hand, trying not to tremble. Taking a deep breath, I close my fingers around them and wait. I had sat down with Hunter and my parents once Gus and JR went to bed. Hunter was telling all about being an empath, and how I should just let the feelings ‘wash over’ me, no matter how bad they are. 


“The fang is very brittle, but does not feel ‘aged’...”


“The half JR showed us felt the same.” Justin reminds me. “Does JR still have it?”


“Yes. Thank goodness I managed to talk her out of doing the chain today.” Giving the fang to Justin, I concentrate on the phial. “It’s a medicine of some kind, it is very old.” I hold it up to the light. “But it has been used recently, whoever this belongs to will need it back.”


“May I see it?” Emmett asks, so I give it to him. He examines it quietly before inhaling sharply. “We need to go and see Ted! And call JR!”


“Who’s Ted?” I ask.


“We’ll explain on the way.” Brian declares. “Lord Victor, you remain here. Tell Mel and Ben, to make something up for the training, you are our observers.”


“Of course, Brian. Now go!”


OFFICE OF DR TED SCHMIDT - AN HOUR LATER


TODD 


“I’m not wrong am I?” I look at Ted, he shakes his head. “So this was in Lord Victor’s coven near the gazebo?”


“That's where JR said she found it, in fact it was under.” Justin confirms. 


“But what is in it?” Lindsay gripes, having asked more than once.


“You’ve heard of Herma of course?” She grimaces, then nods whilst I grab a tabernacle box and put the phial inside. “Well, this is the cure.”


“Then you must give it back! You can’t keep it, this will cause unnecessary suffering!” She explodes, eyes glowing. 


“No, Lindsay you don’t understand.” Ted gets between the pair of us. “This is the cure for the original outbreak, not this new one.” 


LINDSAY


“New one?! And you were aware weren’t you?” I turn to Justin, who after a quick look at Brian nods. “Herma is back here?”


“Not in this area, but it is back.” Brian explains. “This strain only causes severe sickness then short term coma in humans but in Vamps, especially halflings, the coma can last an eternity. The combination of their human and Vamp side gives them a double whammy.”


“So now what?” Emmett sighs.


“We speak to Queen Jennifer.” I declare. “Emmett, is there any chance you could get me back immediately by calling on one of the Aldermen?” 


“Alderman Virginia is here, let me get her!” Todd rushes out. They are back in seconds, she is brought up to speed even quicker. 


“Lindsay, what’s the rush?” She frowns as I put my coat on.


“I need to speak to her about Christopher.” I reply, willing her to quickly bloom me back.


“Not until you tell me why, he is safe, now what is it?”


“He always wanted to be a doctor, was always tinkering with potions and concoctions, before, well before we wiped that away.” I feel such shame. “If we can unlock his mind, somewhere secure, maybe he could shed some light on this, I mean there is no other physician in the coven, so why would there be a cure, especially for that?”

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx