- Text Size +

CHAPTER 26 - ANOTHER SNAKE IN THE GRASS


TAYLOR CASTLE, OHIO - THREE DAYS LATER


GREAT HALL


QUEEN JENNIFER


Christopher is now unlocked, he’s taken Deborah’s behaviour far better than I. I can’t believe she used me like that. Yes, I understand a mother’s love; look at what I did for Lindsay, but this is terrible. She’s...I pause my train of thought...obviously, she wants the absolution for Michael, but...but there’s something else. I hurry to the door and call one of the pages.


“Please ask one of the Aldermen to…”


“Am right here, Queen Jennifer!” Alderman Lorelle calls out. “What’s wrong?”


“I’ve never liked him. There is something insidious about the man.” I declare. 


“Who?” She frowns.


“Kip Thomas, the secondary page. Deborah prefers him to Hunter and Emmett, obsequious pipsqueak!” 


“Let’s allay those fears, or stop with the delaying tactics, shall we?” I wince, but understand her doubt.


As the vision of the Le Mont Coven kitchen appears in front of us, there are three people in there. Deborah is checking the cupboards whilst ordering a ready to pop Emmett what to buy, but then she says something about a tincture powder…


LE MONT COVEN, KITCHEN


DEBS


“Kip, where do you get this from? You’re required to be in the household all day today, so name of establishment?” Emmett asks.


“I will go to town on my break, Emmett, there’s no need to trouble yourself with such a menial task.” Kip replies with a smile, but Emmett glares back.


“Which means that it is close. What time is your break? I will join you…” 


“Emmett, why the sudden interest?” I ask. “You’ve never questioned this before.”


“Lord Victor has been complaining about being more tired these days. If Kip is not around, I need to know where to get this from.”


“I’ll simply get extra now that I’m aware of that.” Kip declares.


“Okay, let me put this another way: give me the box right now, or find another coven!”


“Emmett! Once again you overstep yourself.” I fume.


“Then perhaps you will show it to me?” Master Lieutenant Kinney steps into the room. 


“Master Lieutenant! I didn’t expect your…” Emmett gasps.


“Leave us, Lady Deborah!” Brian orders, and she hurries out.


BRIAN


“The box now….Kip.” I order. 


“It wasn’t my idea!” Kip babbles, whilst reaching inside his pocket. He stops when the edge of Brian’s sword rests on the side of his shoulder. “Uh, Master…”


“Just a flick of the wrist is all it would take.” I hiss. “Let Emmett take it out.”


“It’s this pocket.” Kip points. After Emmett takes out the contents his eyes widen. 


“Oh no, the children!” He cries. “The last person they were seen with was you, where are they?!”


“Emmett, trust us, they will be fine. Smart girl, that one.” Justin steps in. “JR has really connected with Lindsay and managed to tell her that the broth wasn’t right, she called to tell us. Right now they are in Liberty Pitts, recovering from him trying to induce a coma with beef powder!” He pulls out his sword and rests it on the opposite side to mine. 


“No, please, it was Sapperstein!” 


“To what end?!” Emmett flicks out his nails “Don’t make me ask again!”


“To weaken Lord Victor…”


“How did you get to the children?!” Emmett grabs his throat, we lower our swords. “How?!”


“The little girl asked what I was making, said it smelt funny, then the brother and Hunter came in. She’s well known for her numerous questions…” Kip makes the mistake of sneering. “...I didn’t give them much. By the time they would’ve come around, nothing could’ve been done to change things.” 


“Anybody else he planted?!” Justin demands; Kip shakes as head as best he can. “Take him to the Great Hall, summon everyone, see if he’s telling the truth!”


Emmett propels Kip out of the door. 


TEN MINUTES LATER


MEL


All I keep thinking is how deep was this man’s reach, and how long had they been plotting this?! Ben and I are waiting for Brian and Justin to arrive. Emmett has a death grip on Kip’s throat. To say he adores Lord Victor is like saying that Brian and Justin like each other!


There is a low hum of anxiety. Everyone had noticed how much frailer Lord Victor had gotten in the last month or so, although he seemed to rally when the Elder and Aldermen were here, and now we may know why!


“Emmett, it would be far easier to question him if he was still alive.” Ben gently loosens his grip. 


The room is silenced as Lord Victor comes in - Ted and Todd have been making sure that all the toxins in his system have been removed. He loosens Emmett’s grip further as he passes, the only sounds are his steps towards the throne and Kip taking in some air.


“Well, you do find yourself in a bit of a pickle don’t you, halfling Thomas?” Lord Victor asks as he sits. “The Master Lieutenants will join us shortly, as will Lady Deborah and Michael.”


Right on cue, the door opens again and Lady Deborah and Michael quickly take their seats. 


“How are you feeling, Vic?” She solicits. I scowl at her concern.


“Let’s discuss this later.” He returns when the door opens again, this time it is Brian and Justin. They have their swords drawn, this is not good. “Gentlemen, let us make this swift.”


“Indeed.” Justin’s eyes glow. “Everyone listen! This halfling was the cause of harm to Lord Victor, he says that it was at the behest of the unlamented Equerry Sapperstein. If there are any more of his spies or cohorts in this hall, it would be best if they make themselves known now, because if we have to find you, it will end badly!” Justin scans the crowd. “Last chance!”


Whilst there is muttering and hateful glaring at Thomas; nobody declares themselves. 


“In that case, you may despatch...” Brian begins, but then the door opens.


“What’s going on?” Dixon demands as he strides towards the thrones. He takes the seat that Michael had, seemingly, insisted be placed next to him. “Why wasn’t I told of this meeting?” 


“You are sitting in the wrong place.” Justin snarls before pointing his sword next to Thomas. “You should be here, as well as your son and his Mother!”


“What is this nonsense?!” Lady Deborah snaps. “I’ve long grown tired of your entitled attitude, and…”


“Christopher’s mind has been unlocked.” Brian states; looks are exchanged between her and Michael. “You used him to save the diseased hide of your favoured child!” 


“And if by some fluke, he ascended…” Justin continues. “...you would’ve used the Absolution Ceremony to let him get away with bringing Herma to the covens, then had Christopher banished. Who cured him of Herma in the first place, he’d always wanted to be a doctor but being ‘locked’ made him forget that.” 


For a few seconds there is silence, then there isn’t.


“What?!” Lord Victor roars. “This can’t be true! Debs, tell me, this can’t be true?!” 


“The truth! From her? Unlikely!” Emmett exclaims. “For a start, why would they make that up?!” 


“And in a change in pace, Daddy followed in son’s footsteps, but he created an artificial strain intent on using it on Lord Victor. But then he saw how lazy and inept his son was, so had to speed things up a little. Isn’t that right?” Justin is within a foot of his ex-stepfather, sword pointed straight at his heart. “I asked you a question.”


“Justin, not the way.” Brian calls out, he backs off. “Mel, can you assist Lady Deborah, Ben and Emmett, help the son and father to join this soon to be dispatched halfling.”


When she yanks her arm away, I think that she’s going to put up a fight, but she walks to join Thomas. “I am innocent of this, as is my son. I don’t know what has been told to you, but they are lies!” 


I smirk as Ben easily drags both men to join her. “There would be no absolution for him in any event, not after what he did. Thanks to the smarts of JR, we have a match.” I tell her. She looks confused. “She found a half fang at the dinner, and we matched it to the one found in Ben’s neck…”


“What does Ben and fangs have to do with Michael?” Lord Victor sighs.


“We hooked up, post coital during the sealing of the bite, which he shouldn’t have done, as that was not what I wanted…” Ben grips his dagger tightly. “...his fang broke. That was why I was still bleeding.”


“And then of course there was Ethan!” Justin thunders; the coven shrinks back such is his fury. 


“Who the hell is Ethan?!” Lord Victor demands as he starts to approach, we back away.


“He was my friend, but, like Ben, had to be turned to save his life, after he contracted Herma from your nephew.”


“You utter repugnant, arrogant savage!” Lord Victor slashes Michael across the face, which doesn’t hurt him, but will leave a scar, which would be fine on the body, but on the face of halflings it never quite fades away, especially when given as punishment.


“Be grateful it was him and not me! I would’ve gouged your eyes out!” Emmett snarls. “So, Your Ladyshit, all your scheming was for nothing! There’ll be no rule by proxy for you!”


“Ladyshit?! Emmett, I am still above you and innocent until proven guilty!”


“As am I!” Michael declares.


“Uh, you have been found guilty. They have the other side of the fang, remember? And you know what happens to those who deliberately spread a disease?” I sneer, before turning around to the other protagonists. “Thomas, you have one more chance to save your life, is there anybody here that colluded with you and, again, the unlamented Sapperstein?” I lean into his ear. “You don’t have to say, just point.”


He points to Dixon. “He lies! Yes, I knew Sapperstein, but only because he helped me find Michael, and…”


“You said it was his birth mother on her deathbed that told you about your offspring and where to find him.” Justin snarks. “You were very explicit about that, even managing to eke out tears.”


BRIAN


Dixon swallows hard in the face of Justin's wrath. Whilst part of me hopes he lies, the other part doesn’t. 


“So, thinking very hard about your answer, why?” I ask.


“I will answer to the Elder and Aldermen, not…” He looks disparagingly at Justin. “...to the likes of you!”


“Where is Christopher? He can attest to our innocence in this!” Michael demands.


“He’s being comforted by his true love, David.” Justin smirks. “Being unlocked is a draining process, as all your thoughts are returned to you, you relive some painful memories. But I heard say that he soothed his ‘soul’ long, hard and deep into the night.”


“David? My David? He’s sleeping with my consort?!”


“No, he’s sleeping with his true love, something that you only have for your mother, which is beyond creepy!” 


“Where’s Queen Jennifer?!” Michael exclaims. 


“Why should you be concerned with her location?” I ask, fighting the temptation to read. As much as I want to he has to condemn them to their fate.


“Because only the person who locked up the mind can unlock it. Isn’t that right, Ma?”


“Michael, you fool!” Lady Deborah screams.


“What? That’s what you told me!” He yells.


“Emmett, no! Please, I beg of you!” Lord Victor bellows, getting between Michael and Emmett. “Please return to your place by my side as my friend, not my advisor, my friend.” He sighs in relief as Emmett retreats, then turns to Michael. “As for why you are a fool; by asking that question, you’ve just admitted the guilt of yourself and your Mother.” He shakes his head. “I could never understand why. You abused your position of trust as a friend to Queen Jennifer and as my sister. And in the event of you being found not guilty of this, find another coven. Master Lieutenants take them out of our sight!”


TAYLOR CASTLE, OHIO - TEN MINUTES LATER


GREAT HALL


QUEEN JENNIFER


I say nothing as the vision is cleared. “Queen Jennifer, you need to prepare yourself. Their trials will be in a couple of days, your punishment will follow immediately after theirs is laid down.”

 

“Yes Alderman Lorelle.” I reply and walk towards a smiling Craig thankful that whatever happens we will still be together. 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx