- Text Size +

CHAPTER 28 - ALL HAIL THE KINGS!


TRAIN TO COPPER CREEHAN, LITHGLOW [BRIAN’S HOME] - TWO DAYS LATER


MEL


“How do you think she’s going to react?” I link arms with Ben.


“She’ll think we are kidding.” He smiles. “But like us, be thrilled...well, once she’s convinced of course!”


“Still can’t believe we got her on without her waking up. When she finds out we’re on…”


“The Brunel!” Is shrieked. “We’re on the Brunel?! The personal train of the Higher Counsel and the Elder and Aldermen, we’re on this?!”


“She’s no longer asleep.” Ben chuckles. 


“JR, at least put some slippers on!” Lindsey's exasperated voice floats down the corridor.


“No, I’m fine, I just want to...” JR calls back.


“Jenny Rebecca, you will see it, but only if you put some warm...” Lindsay orders 


“Lindsay, I’m a Halfling and do not feel that much cold! Putting on some warm things means I have to go back to my room, and I will miss the beginning, and…”


“You will not miss the beginning!” Lindsay takes a breath of patience as JR walks determinedly away from her...backwards. “Please, can you explain, because if she hears it from me she thinks its a ruse to get her back in bed!”  


“Who are you talking to?” JR turns, and on seeing us breaks into a smile then a run. “Mel! Ben! I am so happy to see you!” She yells as she reaches us. 


“And we are happy to see you up and about, but not like that.” Ben chuckles. “Lindsay’s right on both counts, you need to be more warmly dressed, and…”


“...it doesn’t happen until the beginning of the ascent. At best, all you will see is smattering of what look like stars.” I finish for him.


“Oh.” She looks so disappointed. “The rise of the pearlescent moon is so rare, do you know why it's happening?” She looks over her shoulder. “Is it because of those four, because of what they did?”


“Yes, but they have been dealt with.” I reply. “The reason for the rise is also connected to that, and they insisted that you be here. Now, no more questions, all will be revealed at dawn. Go back with Lindsay, and Ben will get you some plasma, alright?”


“Alright. And if I put on socks too, can I have honey cake? Did Ems send any with us?”


“Of course he did!” Ben laughs as he carries her back to Lindsay, who takes her with a smile. 


DREW AND EMMETT’S CARRIAGE


DREW


 

“Babe, come on, it will soon be over. Come on, sit down.” I tug at Emmett’s arm to stop his pacing. “If you don’t sit down, you’re sleeping alone tonight.” Emmett stops. “Will you sit down or not?”


“There’s no need for threats! What a thing to say!”


“Speaking of things to say, I’m giving you what you’ve always wanted: I’m stopping.”


“Stopping, as in stopping...stopping?” Emmett drops onto the sofa.“Are you sure?”


“Absolutely.” I smile, then push him onto his back. “Want to celebrate?”


“Oh yeah!” He grins, then retracts his teeth.


BEN


When I rejoin Mel, we’re both quiet as we head to the kitchen. “You must be so relieved that you are clear. That you both are.”


“Waiting for those results was even worse than the rescoring of our last fight!” I joke, but deep down I was terrified when I heard the timeline of Michael bringing Herma to Pittsburgh. He had it when he bit me, but didn’t know, or so he claimed. Either way, he has faced the consequences of his actions, and now, the Aldermen will announce that all people, whether human, Halflings, or Purebloods are to be vaccinated against Herma. 


Subconsciously, I rub my neck. It is smooth, no more lump, where his half fang had got stuck. “He didn't care, you know?”


“How did you hold off beating him hard when sparring?” Mel pulls me to a stop. “Honestly, just how?”


“Because I would’ve lost out to Jared, and I love him more than I hate Michael.” 


“Lost out to Jared, how?” She frowns.


“He said that Michael had one unnecessary mark on him, I couldn’t top for 5 years…”


“Five…”


“Per mark.” I add. “He’s very good at being my man, he knows my weak spot…”


“Is his hot spot?!” She teases. 


“Well yeah!” I return with a leer.


LOUNGE CARRIAGE - EARLY DUSK


LINDSAY


JR’s trying not to scowl at my smugness. 


“Are you finished being ‘right’?” She grumbles, having fallen asleep after the plasma and only two bites of honey cake.


“Not yet!” I laugh. “But don’t worry, I made sure that Gus and Hunter didn't get it. Check under that suddenly appeared cloche to your left.” 


She lifts the lid and beams at me before wolfing it down. “So you know these empath powers you have, can you teach me?”


“If you’d like, but now you get to know the rest of the reason for the pearlescent moon, the ascendants are on board.” 


There is a sharp rap on the door. “Enter!” Lord Victor commands, and the Master Lieutenants come in. I hug them both. 


“You look so much better.” Brian ruffles JR’s hair. “Sorry we couldn’t come to see you, we had things to attend to.”


“I know. Are you looking after them then?” She asks, eyes shining with excitement. “The ascendants, I mean. That’s why you are here, right?”


“Yes, we’re looking after them.” Justin smiles. “He looks after me…”


“...and I look after him.” Brian adds, then kisses Justin’s temple before sighing. “And she’s fainted again!”

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx