- Text Size +

CHAPTER 4 - IMPERIOUS VS IMPERVIOUS


JUPITER COVEN, MOUNT MCKINLEY, ALASKA - SATURDAY MORNING


GRAND HALL


LINDSAY


I turn to the door opening, it is a servant. He smiles briefly, then goes about his business of fluffing and plumping the truly gorgeous cushions. 


“Where is this so-called master lieutenant?!” I mutter crossly. “I do not like to be kept waiting like some common lamia!”


“He will be here when he is ready, not when you are.” A voice calls from above. I look up, and when the person comes into view I feel my still part human heart flutter. She is gorgeous! 


“My name is Master at Arms Melanie…”


“Shouldn’t that be Mistress?” I purr.


“No, and…”


“Are you quite sure about that? I can be very persuasive.” I interrupt. “In fact, it has…”


“I am positive that it never will be.” She cuts me off. Oh, I do like a challenge! “Marcus. I represent Master Lieutenant Kinney, and…”


“I was told his name is Taylor.” I fume. Whilst she is gorgeous, I am a princess and she will treat me with the manners and respect that title conveys! I gaze at her. “And my name is…”


“Princess Lindsay Taylor. I am aware, also don’t give a fuck. I shall be outside, waiting for someone who has earned my respect and manners!”


I am stunned when she quickly strides out, banging the door shut behind her. I retake my seat with a smile. Like I said, I like a challenge.


INSIDE OF LE MONT COVEN ROLLS ROYCE - SAME TIME


BEN


I stare out the window, wishing Justin was here to calm me down. I can't believe after all these years, it is him, and he is being allowed to rule! He is stretched along the seat reading a comic instead of the notes that Brian told me to give him. When I tried to convince  him to, he said he will read it when he got there as he was bound to have questions. 


“So, Ben…”


“Master at Arms Bruckner.” I correct him while still looking out the window.


“Lord Michael.” He snarks back.


“You are not a Lord. Lord Victor is, and you are his nephew, not his son. At best, you are a master, so I suppose I should call you sir. Sir.”


“My mother’s title is Lady…”


“We’re here.” His driver interrupts. 


He sits up and looks out of the window. “Wow, this is nice!”


Once the car glides to a stop, I get out and take my things out of the trunk and head to the door.


“Excuse me!” His driver calls out. “Lord Michael wishes to leave the car!”


I smile and keep on walking, making sure to close the door firmly behind me. I frown when I see a foot shaking Mel sitting outside the Great Hall doors. I love the Jupiter Coven, there are very few Vamps here. It is used for training mostly, and for places of contemplation. 


“Ooh, what’s up?” I drop my bags, then wait for her to glide into my arms. Her banging her head repeatedly on my chest is a surprise. “Mel?”


“We need to seriously talk alone!” She whispers. “Fuming does not come close!”


“Give me…” I begin, only to be stopped by the hall doors opening.


“Finally, you took your time.” A haughty blonde snipes. “Well, let’s get this started, Master Lieu…”


“Not him.” Mel bites out. “Let me show you to your quarters, Ben.”


I catch the fire in her eyes and take up my bags just as the Coven doors open. The driver, followed by Michael, strides in. 


“Michael!” The blonde cries. “How lovely to see you. Come in, come in!” She gestures like a grabby toddler. “Follow them.” She orders the driver. “You can take his things to his room, then come down for mine. They are by the door. Knock before you enter.” Michael sweeps inside, shutting the door behind him.


For a few seconds, nobody moves, then the driver seemingly shakes his head. He looks at the cases, then at us. “What am I doing with these?” 


“Don’t know, but you can go now.” Mel replies with a smile.


“Okay, um, wow, um, can I just say it’s an honour to be in your presence?”


“Is it?” I frown. He was distinctly chilly in the car on the way up here.


“Yes!” He grins. “Two of the best Masters at Arms, wow!” He pulls his phone out then goes to put it back but stops. “I’m a half too…” He mutters shyly. “...in about two minutes, we should be able to, I mean if you don't mind?”


What the heck is going on with this guy?!


“I’m fine with it, what about you, Ben?” Mel nudges me, so I nod.


“Can I touch them?” He gestures at my talisman, again we nod. “How many disciplines did you go through?” He whispers as he checks out Mel’s.


“Two hundred.” She answers proudly.


“Oh wow...oh, it’s time!” He squeals and stands between us. “Ready?”


“Yep, ready.” I reply, and he quickly takes the picture. “I am so nervous!” I admit as we wait for the photo to show up. “Haven't seen myself in years!”


“Really?! Well trust me, you both are...oooh, look! Look!” He gasps. 


I blink rapidly. It's me. Being a half means your human side will sometimes shimmer through, and you can see your reflection, or in this case, take a photo. 


“Oh, why didn’t Brian tell me about my hair?!” Mel grumbles. “That is not a good look on me!”


“Bullshit. There is nothing wrong with your hair that a good brush couldn't fix!” I turn around, then am pinned to the wall by the one and only Brian Kinney. “Hello, you must be Ben, aren’t you handsome?” He drawls.


“Put him down, Brian!” Alderman Earl comes in chuckling. “You gave your word!”


“I can look…”


“Look, not pin! Down!” 


“He doesn’t seem to mind.” He quirks his eyebrows. “He’s not…”


“Put him down!” I chuckle at the furious expression on Justin’s face. “He has a boyfriend and you are much too powerful! Put him down!” Brian Kinney slowly turns around, and whatever invective was about to come out of Justin’s mouth doesn't, as he is drooling. “Please. He’s, um, my Master at and you uh, need to, the thing, you’re doing, it’s not right, Olderman Bernaearl said you gave your word…” He babbles into silence. 


“Do you speak whatever the hell language that was, Ben?” Brian snickers and Mel smiles.


“Ease on up.” Mel laughs. He waves me away from the wall. 


“Brian Kinney.” He strides to a-rooted-to-the-spot Justin, his hand outstretched, which Justin pumps firmly. “Master Lieutenant Taylor, nice to meet you too. I look forward to seeing how equal we both in and out of training of these two would be leaders. From what I have heard, you have the same outlook as me, perhaps we could go on the prowl one night?” Then something really weird happens. Justin’s eyes glow! I have never seen him do that. “I will take that as a yes. Look forward to it, but to the matters in hand. Let’s put our things away and reconvene in ten minutes. Agreed?”


“Agreed.” Alderman Earl is grinning like the proverbial Cheshire Cat. “Let us...oh, who are you?” He is looking at the mesmerised driver. 


“I brought him, Alderman Earl.” He answers and points at the door.


“You may go now.” I tell the driver. He hugs us both, bows to the Alderman, but doesn’t know what to do with Brian and Justin, so goes for a clumsy curtsy and bow thing then is gone.


“He was told to come unaccompanied!” Alderman Earl growls. He sighs, then turns to Mel. “As for her?”


“Also driven, Alderman Earl.” Mel sighs. Again, I feel her tension.


“I see.” Alderman Earl pinches the bridge of his nose. “To our rooms!” He orders, and shoots to the top of the stairs before coming immediately back down, slightly sheepishly. “Do you know which one is mine?”


“Yes, Alderman.” Mel laughs, and points to the left of the stairs. “Right down the end.”.


“Okay, let’s go!” Justin picks up his things and take the stairs two at a time.


“What the hell are you doing?” Brian demands as we float alongside him.


“You don’t have to use that all the time.” Justin returns. Again I gape, he is blushing!


“He’s right, Brian, you do things your way, he does things his way. That’s what makes us individual.” Alderman Earl states briskly. “But for speed, perhaps you could just…”


“I will take this room!” Justin declares, and quickly goes inside. We all look at each other in bewilderment and wait.


“It’s the next one, Master Lieutenant.” Mel keeps the laughter out of her voice. “I believe that is the storage closet.” He doesn’t say or do anything. “Let’s just go to our rooms. Brian, you and I are are on the next floor, Ben you are next to Justin.”


“Are we just gonna leave him in there?” Brian frowns.


“He’ll come out of the closet when he’s ready.” I reply. Seconds later, it is just me. “You can come out now.” I say as I tap the door.


“Not one word!” Justin growls, then stalks into his room, slamming the door behind him.


ALDERMAN EARL’S ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


EARL


‘Stop it, pull yourselves together!” I try not to join in with the laughing Aldermen. They had been watching from the Great Hall in Iceland, but now they are here, one of the advantages of blooming.


“Did...oh gosh...did he seriously do that?! I didn’t imagine it?!” Caroline chortles.


“I don’t know what was funnier; his gibber gabbing or that!” Lorrelle snickers.


“It was a tie.” I laugh. “He was amused, not disgusted, so that’s good.”


“Who? Oh Brian. Yes, that is good.” Bernardus snorts, then we all go quiet. “So what happens next?” 


“The two brats start their lessons.” I reply, then frown. “But there is tension, from both Mel and Ben. Animosity towards the wannabe rulers. And the driver’s confusion…”


“Yes, we noticed that too.” Lloyd nods. “Show them!” He commands. The room is bathed in light, Michael and Lindsay are just lounging about. They have the servants actually spoon feeding them and their ‘homework’ has been abandoned. “No way would they be doing that without it, no way!” 


“We have to catch them.” Bernardus sighs.


“Leave this to the Master Lieutenants.” We all go quiet as Elder Statesman Rodney blooms into the room. “You cannot interfere in that either!” Then breaks into a grin. “I don’t think I have ever seen anything so funny in my life! It will be fun to watch him teach the three of them!”


“Um…” I trail off, unsure what to do next. 


“So I am here to have a little fun of my own.” He settles down on the sofa. “Now, I want you to tell me everything about Lord Victor.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thanks.