- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - SHOW US WHAT YOU KNOW


BRIAN’S ROOM


BRIAN


She is simmering like an about-to-spout geyser; now is not the time to be an ass! “So, the problem is?”


“Apart from his complete non use of his pureness?!” She laughs, it’s a start. “I could be wrong…” She sighs. “...but I felt like she was trying to compel me.” When I say nothing she rolls her eyes. “Didn’t imagine it then?”


“Nope, I felt something. What would make her think this would go unnoticed?”


“She is a narcissist perhaps?” I tug on her ankle. “Oh, how could I forget that my head must not be higher than yours? Why not just shave your head and go full Yul from The King and I?!”


“Love my hair and you are still too high.” I point out, she touches down with a smirk. “Good job, you aren't wearing a kilt!” She snipes up at me. “I think I have seen more than enough of you without having to see them as well!”


“You're just jealous that your pitiful dildo can't compete. I never run out of batteries, I just keep going and going…


“I do not want that in my head!” She glares at me as I land. “So what do we do?”


“Give them time to make themselves comfortable, get used to us and our ways, as we both well know, when people get comfortable…”


“...they make mistakes.”


JUSTIN’S ROOM - SAME TIME


BEN


“Had you fed before you got here?”


“Nope.” Justin lays out his uniform, searching for non-existent creases. “Why?”


“You blushed.” He gazes at me and I nod. “And glowed.”


“I did?! Have I done that before? Why would I do that?”


“Your want is here.” I grin at his confusion, but as much as I want to spell it out, he needs to work it out himself. “So, to the other issue, it’s him.”


“Who him?” He pulls out his sword, it glints in the lowlight of the room.


“Michael. He is the one.” Justin goes still. “I am sure. It’s him.”


“I will speak to Alderman Earl immediately. Stay here, do not open for anyone but me!”


“Justin, I shared a car with him. He did nothing but read a comic. It’s been over 70 years, he didn’t recog…”


“Nobody but me!” He orders, and stalks out.


JUSTIN


I am so furious! I take the stairs two at a time. Alderman Earl’s room is on the upper galley, six floors up.


“You will get there much quicker if you float.” I stop storming, surprised to see Brian alongside me. “What’s put a burr in your britches?”


“How did you get here?”


“Felt your anger, wondered why, came to check.”


“Oh. Well, there was no need, I can handle this myself.”


“Then you won't mind telling me what the ‘this’ is, will you?”


I sigh. “It’s Ben…”


“Is he still mewling about that point? She beat him fair and square, tell him to get over it.” 


“Point? What point? Oh, that one. No, it’s not that, although I still think they should’ve tied. No, it’s...when Ben was human, he was with a half-blood who got a little, well not a little, a lot rough. He ended up in the hospital. The guy made a half-assed job of sealing the bite, and he was bleeding out. Jared, his boyfriend of many, many years, turned him to save his life.”


“And that half-blood was Master Michael? Is he sure?” Brian’s eyes flash. “Does Michael remember him?”


“He doesn't think so, but you’ve heard tales of his promiscuity, haven’t you?”


“Yeah. He’s had more dick than me, though to look at him it is very hard to believe! He is utterly charmless.”


“Not had the pleasure.”


“What about the other rumours? What do you believe of them?”


I stop, glad to have someone to speak to on this. “This is gonna sound so weird, but about an hour ago, I felt this weird pulling sensation, then seconds later a push.”


“Felt it too. The push was me, couldn't tell who the pull was, but have an idea.”


“Him again?!” I fume, but he shakes his head. “Surely not her?!”


Maybe, maybe not. Tonight’s dinner should be interesting.” He chuckles. “Well, we're here.”


BRIAN


He looks at the door in surprise, so whilst he is doing that, I lower him to the floor. With a smile and a slight bow, I head back to my room. Mel is smirking when I get there. “What?”


“You helped him. Why?”


“I did not help him, I helped myself get where we needed to be quicker.” I counter, then join her in smirking. “For someone who knows the ins and outs of being a Vamp, he doesn't actually know how to be one, but he’s learning.”


“What do you me...oh, for landsakes, the tunic is perfect!” She slaps my hand away from it. “What do you mean about Justin?”


“He felt the compulsion attempt, it was him that pushed it back, but I said it was me.”


“Why?” 


“I have no idea. Am going to get ready.” I head to get changed, confused as to why I said that.


DINING HALL - TWO HOURS LATER


LINDSAY


I have to admit that Master Lieutenant Kinney is a fine specimen of a man. He hasn't said much to me, which I find annoying.


“Don't you find his arrogance wearisome?” Michael sighs.


“Yes.” I look up to where he has chosen to place himself above the mantle. “His actual loftiness is beginning to irk. Master Lieutenant, I would prefer it if you joined us on the floor.” 


“Well, until there is someone whose company I wish to be in, I will remain up here.”


“Oh, how I wish I could float like the purebloods!” Michael spits.


“Me too. That and the ability to read amongst other powers.” The door opening brings in one of the servants from earlier. Michael and I share a smile. They were so easy to bend to our will. Michael really wanted to have the blond, but with Alderman Earl here, he daren’t risk it. “What is it?”


“Dinner is about to be served.” 


“Well, bring it in along with the rest of our guests.” I demand.


“We’re eating in the State Room across the hall…” 


“We? Who is ‘we’, and who decided this?” Michael exhorts. We are royalty, well some more than others. Our orders supercede anybody else’s!


“Alderman Earl.” The servant replies with an annoyed look. “Now come along, you've kept him waiting long enough!” He holds the door open wider. “After you, Master Lieutenant.”


“I am a princess, he is master, and…”


“Neither of you by blood.” The servant cuts me off. “You are half-bloods. No matter what  your title is, you will always be outranked by a pureblood.”


“It’s alright, let them go ahead.” Master Lieutenant comes down to earth.  I give him a grudging smile of thanks. “I like to see the asses I am about to kick before I kick them.” I turn to face him. “You can think it, but I would advise against saying it.” 


“Come on, Lindsay, let’s see how he takes to being rebuked by the Alderman. He will show him his place!” Michael snarls, with a scathing look at the servant, I follow Michael to the room.


ALDERMAN EARL


Oh, how I am looking forward to this! As the door is opened, Michael and Lindsay stride in, looking peevish. “You are late.” I point out as they start to sit down while Brian remains standing. “Did I say you could sit?”


“May we sit?” Lindsey's tone almost rots my teeth!


“You may.”


“We would’ve been here earlier if we were told this was where we are eating. And speaking of communicating…” Michael cuts his eye at Brian. “...the Master Lieutenant seems to think that he can speak to us as he wishes. Kindly remind him that…”


“As Aldermen Lorrelle and Caroline told you, he has our ear and backing. Now you will apologise to him for your rudeness and presumption that he should bow and scrape to you!” I steeple my fingers and glare at them. “We are waiting. I caution against further delay, I am not known for my patience!”


“I will not apologise to him!” Lindsay exclaims.


“Neither will I!”


“Mutum rederre!” I snap. “Then remain silent!” I signal the servants and they serve. It doesn't take us long to finish. It is the tapping of her knife that gets my attention. “I take it you are ready to apologise now?” She nods as does he. “Are you ready to accept the apologies?”


“No, Alderman Earl, I will accept in the morning.” Brian drawls and stands. “I think it would be best if we four retired to plan the training.”


“Good. I think I will return to my room.” I pause as I get to the door. “And by the way, there is a change of plan. You, Lindsay, will be taught by Brian and Mel, and Michael by Justin and Ben.” Two sets of eyes widen, smiling happily, I shut the door on their abject fury.


“Why the change of plan, Alderman?” Mel frowns.


“We changed our minds, no other reason than that.” I reply and look up the stairs. “I think I will try walking up this thing. Good night all.”


BRIAN


“Did you speak to Alderman Earl earlier, Justin?”


“No, he wasn't there. Shall we get on?”


“Yes sir!” I give him a sharp salute. He rolls his eyes and points to the study with a smile, which I return with a snort afterwards...since when do I snort?!


STATE ROOM


MICHAEL


Oh, I can't wait to get trained by him, he is gorgeous!


LINDSAY


The only good thing about this is that I get closer to Mel! 


ALDERMAN EARL’S ROOM - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


RODNEY


“What? What are you looking at me like that for?” I demand of the Aldermen.


“You said, we could not interfere.” Caroline bristles. “But you lowered their powers!”


“I said you could not interfere, I said nothing about me. And I did not lower, I made them more receptive, totally different.” I sniff. “Now excuse me, I have a Lord to visit!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thanks.