- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - FROM WAIFS TO PAGES


STUDY - FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I had heard of him, obviously. He is my equal in skills, and has just the right amount of arrogance. I clear my throat. “So where do you think we should start?”


“Basic skill set, knowledge and adherence; and I want to meet their consorts, get their thoughts on acceding with them.” Justin replies thoughtfully. I smirk at him. “What? Why should that get that reaction?”


“Nothing. No reason.” I reply. He frowns and watches me for a few seconds. “Do continue.” I prompt, enjoying his confusion and slight discomfort.


“Yes, well between these walls, we all…”


“Ahem, don’t you think the room should be protected first, before you espouse your theory?” Mel gives me a warning look. “I am happy to do that for you. As you well know, automatic protection only applies to rooms with an Alderman present.”


“Yes, if you could that would be great, thank you.” His response is polite, his thoughts not so much. 


Oh, this is going to be so much fun!


“Stop that!” He snaps. 


“Stop what? And who?” Ben looks between us with a small smile.


“Him…” He jabs his finger at me. “...and he knows what he is doing, so stop!” 


“What am I doing?” I frown as I am not actually doing anything. I pull Mel towards me. She says nothing, just looks into my eyes then nods.


“What’s going on?” Justin frowns, but Ben shushes him. “What’s…”


“Justin, sssh, they’re talking.” 


“Go get whoever it is and bring them here.” She nods before glimmering out. “I think it would be best if we stepped away, Justin. Ben, wait for her return, okay?”  


“Sure.” Ben again has that small smile.


“Just in the shadows. The element of surprise can loosen a tongue as well as a bowel.” 


“Ewww!” Justin cringes.


“Why are you cringing? Purebloods don’t do that.”


“Yes, I know that, but still, eww!”


It doesn't take her long to come back with a young boy. “Who are you?” Ben asks.


“Gus.” He replies.


“How old are you?”


“70.” He puffs out his chest, which makes me smile.


“What were you doing out there?” Mel asks, before taking off her tunic and wrapping it around him. “Who else is with you?”


“Nothing and nobody.” He replies quickly, too quickly. 


“Who is out there?” I step out of the shadows and Gus’s eyes widen. “Who?”


“My...my sister JR, Sir! Master Lieutenant Kin...Taylor!” He squeaks as Justin also steps into view. 


“You a halfblood?” I ask quietly, and look him over. He looks pale. “When did you last feed?”


“Yes, we both are, and a few days ago.” 


“Are you strong enough to take her to your sister?” Justin queries, and even though he nods, we all know he’s not. “Can you tell me where she is?”


“She’s by the brook, there is a cave.” 


“I will be right...”


“Justin, let Brian go with you.” Mel orders. “Ben, go to the kitchen and get him something to eat. Is there something that she would recognise so that she would come with them?”


“Yeah, just him. She has a bit of a crush on Master Lieutenant Kinney.” He giggles.


“I do not!” Is exclaimed from outside the door. Mel rushes to open it to reveal a little girl, no more than fifty is standing there hands on hips, glaring at Gus. “Take that back right now!”


“Sis! How did you get here?!” Gus exclaims. “Look at your feet! Where are your shoes?!”


“Followed you, I took them off because you were walking too fast - had to keep up. Take. It. Back!”


“Feisty little thing.” I chuckle.


“So what if I am feisty?!” She snaps, still glaring at Gus. “You need to retract both your teeth and that lie.”


“Um, may…”


“You, I shall deal will in a minute!” She waves me away, much to our amusement. “I am waiting!”


“Sis, look up.” Gus chortles.


“At what, what could…” Her words die as she sees me.


“Hi.” I grin down at her, she says nothing. “My name is Brian Kinney, you can call me Brian, I guess. This is Justin Taylor, and...you are…have fainted. Great!”


The room starts to shimmer, and Alderman Lorrelle blooms in. “Oh, the poor thing! Caroline, for hell’s teeth sake, bloom faster!”


“Sorry, had to check on something!” She explains hurriedly. “You should be very proud, both of you, for getting hear all by yourselves.” He does look pleased. “But first you must feed! Ben!”


“Coming, just coming!” He hurries in with some plasma. “Didn't want to overload his system.”


“Good thinking. Now, you sit by the fire, and…”


“Excuse me, but, but are you, are you Aldermen Caroline and Lorelle?” He whispers awed.


“Yes we are.” Caroline smiles. “Now come on Gus, please eat. Ah, she is coming around. Good.” Slowly she opens her eyes and looks around the room. “I will get some water for her feet. Though they are healing, they look sore. Won’t be long.”


“Gus, how long have I been asleep and when did we get wherever we are?” She whispers. “I had the greatest dream that we were…” She pauses and slowly sits up. “...not dreaming?” 


“Nope.” Mel laughs. “So what does he call you, apart from Sis?”


“Jenny Rebecca.” She gives a shy smile, then leans closer to Mel. “Did I really try and wave him away?”


“Yeah you did.” 


“Is he mad?”


“No, and I speak and hear perfectly, so shall we try the introductions again?”


“My name is Gus Schickel-Green, and this is my sister, Jenny Rebecca Schickle-Green, and we know who you are! All of you!” 


“What are you doing here? You are very young to be out and about by yourselves.” Caroline demands as she kneels down to inspect her feet. “Ben, could you?”


“Of course.” He takes Jenny Rebecca’s foot gently in his hand, she is just keeps looking from Ben to her feet as he tends to her wounds. “Which coven are you from?”


“Knight-Wing.” Gus replies. “It's on the other side of the brook, about seventy miles north. As for what we are doing here, we wanted to see if it was true, and it is.”


“What is true?” Ben asks, tucking his tunic around her. She almost bursts into flames.


“That you were here and going to train those to accede. We snuck out.” Jenny-Rebecca giggles before burrowing deeper. “And I prefer JR to Jenny-Rebecca, please.”


“As you wish. Now, Gus and JR, you shouldn’t have. George and Brandon are so worried, poor Todd was frantic!” Caroline scolds them. “You owe them all apologies when you get back.”


“Back?” Gus looks crestfallen. “Back? Do you mean we’re going now?”


“Alderman Caroline, perhaps they can go tomorrow?” Justin suggests. “Since they’ve made such an effort?” 


“Hmm. A disobedient one, but yes, they may. Now, as for the sleeping arrangements, they can…”


“Go and rest in the rooms currently reserved for Master Michael and Princess Lindsay since they have retired to the lounge.” Ben grumbles then smiles. “To sit in silence.”


“Silence? Have they taken a vow or something?” Gus joins JR on the sofa, on the other side of Ben. 


“No, doofus, they’ve been muted, haven’t they?!” We are all stunned that she even knows this at her age. “What did they do?!”


“And who did it to them?” Gus pipes up. “I would loved to have seen it.”


“They were disrespectful to the Master Lieutenant, and it was Alderman Earl.” Caroline can’t keep a straight face. “Her first, his second.”


“And he didn’t learn the first time - what a tool!” JR scoffs before yawning.


“That’s it, time for you two to rest.” Caroline smiles.


“Ben, Mel, will you do the honours? We wish to speak to Brian and Justin privately, please.”


REFECTORY - NEXT MORNING


LINDSAY


I am bored out of my mind, and all the things I want to say are so loud! Trust him to want to wait until the morning for the apology, I wasn't able to rest, not just because we were unceremoniously dumped out of our rooms to make way for two urchins, but now we are up at the crack of dawn at the behest of Master Lieutenant Taylor! I look across at Michael, and he looks as miserable and frustrated as I. 


I reach for a piece of paper, and scribble quickly; where is he?! It is intolerable to be kept waiting like this! I fold it, and whilst Taylor is not looking slide it across to Michael. He takes it and then frowns before sliding it back to me. I gape at the nonsense that is written.


“You’ve been rendered mute, therefore, all forms of communication are cut off to you until such time as you have been released. You’d think a princess without much to do all day would know that. Basic knowledge.” She holds out her hand. “May I have that please?” I sit back and glare at this impertinent scallywag. “I repeat, may I have that please?” I shake my head. “Master Lieutenant, I have asked her for the paper, and she has refused.”


Justin comes up, his eye cold and his smile glacial. “Princess Lindsay, may I introduce you to your scholar and Master Lieutenant Kinney’s page, Jenny Rebecca, or JR for short; and Master Michael…” He beckons over a young boy, who has a lot of papers in his hands. “...this is your scholar, and my page, Gus. I will leave you in their more than capable hands; but before that, she asked you for the paper. Give it to her.” 


Furious I fling it on the table. She flicks it back into my lap. “That is not giving. I wish you to place it on my hand as I politely requested.”


“I would do as she asks if I were you…” Master Lieutenant Kinney’s drawl floats down. “...because I won't let you apologise until you do.”  I feel my fangs lengthen and sharpen as I hand it to her. “Better, JR?”


“Much. Thank you, Brian.” She replies. 


“What does it say?” Kinney, for now I refuse to think of him as above me in any sense, asks as he lands by her side. 


“She wanted to know where you were, as this waiting is intolerable.” 


“Well, here I am. Now before we come to your sycophantic apology to myself and JR for your lack of manners; let me tell you what today will involve. Study, lots and lots of study, for this morning; then this afternoon, exams on what you studied. Alderman Earl, if you please!” He calls up to the ceiling. “Now remember what happened last time, Michael, let the words, thoughts and feelings dissipate. I suggest you follow his lead, Lindsay, you have embarrassed yourself enough.”


LOUNGE - LATE EVENING


MICHAEL


We are quietly humiliated, seething over the behaviour of both Master Lieutenants and their despotic dickens, who because they weren’t pleased with our knowledge, have decreed that we have to retake our exams in the morning, before we travel back to Pittsburgh.


“Why are we going back do you think?” Lindsay frowns. “I thought we would be here longer?”


“Don’t know, but I look forward to being on homeground again. There are advantages to that.”


“Yes, there are, and I can't wait to take them!” She smiles, and I can't help but smile back.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.