- Text Size +

CHAPTER 7 - LEVELLING THE PLAYING FIELD...PLUS THEY GO IN!


OUTSIDE JUPITER COVEN - POST EXAMS


MICHAEL


“You can’t do that!” I exclaim, but they keep walking. “You aren't serious?!” 


Gus stops and turns around. “You were told that if you passed you would be afforded the luxury of accompanying us; if not, you make your own way. You failed, both of you.” 


“By one point!” Lindsay protests.


“Yeah, shame it was the same question you failed on. Rule one when cheating: cheat well!” JR yells back. “Now head in that direction…” She points down a pathway. “...that is where the railway station is, it should only take you a couple of days to get back!”


“My Mother will be furious!” I bellow, but they keep walking. Five minutes later, we are heading down the path. “I can’t believe they are treating us like this, can you?! Ouch!” I wince she flicks me hard on the ear. “Don’t do that!”


“It is the least that you deserve! It is because of you that I am not with them. You copied me, now they think that I cheated!” 


“You shouldn’t have left your paper exposed. Oh for fuck, stop it!” I cry out as she flicks me harder, twice. “Alright, I am sorry!” I rub my ear and she looks smug.


“Good. Now do you have your phone with you?”


“Yes. Why?” I frown.


“Despite the myth, we do not possess the sonar hearing of bats! We need the maps app so we can find the station unless you know where it is?!” 


I fume at her tone, but take out my phone to check. “Oh, for buggering hell sake! It's a ten mile walk!”


“Let’s keep the chat to a minimum, this is going to be hard enough!” She snaps.


LE MONT WASHINGTON COVEN - SIX HOURS LATER


HALL


LORD VICTOR


“I can’t believe they are here!” Emmett, my trusted advisor of over seventy years, whispers as the group waits outside. “This is all that people are talking about. Do you wish me to leave?”


“Yes.” Debs orders.


“No, please stay.” I glare at her. She and Emmett do not get along at the best of times, but when it comes to protocol and Michael, they are like hyenas and lions fighting over a carcass. “Try to keep the attack of the vapours down to a minimum!” I tease him.


“This is family business, Vic, he should not be privy to…”


“He is staying, but if it bothers you so much…”


“Fine! But I shall bring them in!” She huffs, then stalks out.


We say nothing for a few seconds, then start to giggle. “Oh, you are a one!” He smiles. “Are you sure that…”


“Sure. You have the best interests of the coven at heart. Besides, having another set of eyes and ears does no harm.”


“Fair enough. Teddy said the Taylors took it well.” He licks his teeth. “Must get a polish done. “I can’t see the same thing happening here.” 


“Me neither, but we can but hope.” I sigh. “What is taking her so long, they were just outside the door!”


I am about to go and check when the door swings open. A pouting Debs leads them in, but only as far as inside the door. She takes her seat to my right then says nothing. 


I sigh at her acts of irascibility and rudeness, then wave them forward. “Welcome, welcome! Please, all of you sit.” I gesture to the sofas and can’t help the little smile as JR barges Gus out of the seat next to Brian. “So, where is Michael?” 


“Yes, please tell me what you have done with my son?” Debs snarks. Ah, so that’s it, he's screwed up...again!


“Having some much needed disciplinary structure added to his life.” Justin replies. “Now, we wish to speak…”


“Justin, sweetie, this…”


“It is Master Lieutenant Taylor, Lady Deborah, we are not at a ‘sweetie’ level of familiarity.” I look away at her affronted expression, because I know I will laugh. The silence stretches on as she and Justin lock horns. “You want to know, more than I want to tell you.” He drawls, a vein pulses in her cheek. “What does that feel like? As a pureblood, I don’t have the ‘vein’ response that halfs do.”


Her eyes widening makes Brian smile. Seems they are of the same mindset when it comes to the grandstanding attitude that my sister has.


“Master Lieutenant Taylor, where is my son?” She grits out.


“No idea at all. Left him and his fellow cheater to make their own way back from Jupiter Coven. I do hope the route they took has blood banks, you know what happens when a half’s reserves get low…”


“Perhaps, Lord Victor, we could discuss the reason for our visit?” Ben interrupts. 


“Why him? Because he's a man?” Debs gripes.


“No.” Ben retorts. “Because he does not have rose coloured glasses on. Whilst I do not hold the lineage that you do, I have twice the strength and backing!” 


Hmm what is that about I wonder!


“Down, boy.” Mel chides him. “I feel that I am a less emotive for Lady Deborah, so will continue. The Master Lieutenants wish to have private counsel with Michael’s consort…”


“Why?” Debs frowns.


“It is standard protocol.” Mel smiles, whilst I try to think when the hell did that come into effect?! “Obviously, they have to make sure that they understand how this will change their lives, check if they are comfortable with the level of scrutiny that this brings.”


“Of course he is! He loves Michael.” Debs exclaims.


“Which we need to hear from him, not you.” Brian retorts. “Now where is he to be found?”


“David is studying at the moment, I will go…” Debs starts to leave before turning back with a frown. “...who is doing that?!” She glares at them. “Who is reading me?!”


“It could any one of us.” Ben returns with a cold look.


“Why don't I get them?!” Emmett suggests.


“Them?” Mel frowns.


“Yes, David and Christopher are studying together.” Emmett explains. “I won’t be long!” He trills and rushes out.


“He seems sweet.” Ben chuckles. “How long has he been your advisor, Lord Victor?”


“Seventy years, and has never steered me wrong. Would you like refreshments, especially the little ones?”


“Speaking of those sweethearts.” Debs beams. “Where do they fit in this arrangement?” 


“Pages and scholars.” Brian replies. “I see what you mean, Lord Victor, the flames are calming. Do you two want something to eat? By that, I mean do you want honey cake, which I believe is speciality of one Emmett Honeycutt?”


“You know about that?!” Emmett gasps as he times his arrival, as usual, perfectly. “You! As in you, know about that?!”


“It is important when going into battle, in order to win the war, to know the enemy, both their strengths and weaknesses.” Justin replies with smile. “So...is there any?”


“I...uh, David and Chris, meet and greet yourselves, I will be right back!” 


“Yes!” Justin cries before he notices the look on Brian’s face. “Would you believe low blood sugar?”


“No.” Brian snickers.


Debs clears her throat which kills the happy atmosphere stone dead. “This is David, he has been with my Michael, happily, for years. And this is his adopted brother, Chris, he is…”


“They are both adopted.” JR points out. “Why do you give Chris the additional moniker and remove yourself from his parental line?” Debs blinks at her. “You said ‘my Michael’ when referring to him, but ‘his adopted brother’ when referring to Chris. Hi, by the way. To me, it is as if you are trying to single him out as different when they are both the same, unless of course, you play favourites.”


“You say that David and Michael are happy.” Mel stares at David 


“Yes, they are. Why are you questioning it?” Debs sneers.


“Because he’s not happy, and hasn't been for a while.” Chris replies.


“What do you mean?! Of course they are happy! You’re just jealous because he gets to accede as Lord, and you are the concubine!” Debs barks.


“I am not a concubine, I don't want to accede, but it is the only way!”


“What’s this?” Justin demands, rising from his seat to stand in front of Chris. “Are you two, of course you are...how long?” A relieved looking David takes Chris’s hand. “So a while then?”


“Yes, but we’ve not done anything, not even kissed, just been together.” Chris explains. “We were going to tell Michael and Lindsay, then seek another coven, but Lady Deborah and Queen Jennifer went to the Aldermen, so we had to wait. When they said no, we thought this was our moment, but then they changed their minds. So we thought at least this way we…”


“Could be together…” David finishes. “...whilst the two of them were basking in the glory of power. I know Michael, I know what he would do if Chris is still a layman, he would banish him!”


“Right!” Emmett calls out as he comes back in ladened with a tray of honey cakes. “I will just set this down and then get some…” He stops, looks around, then sighs. “...what has happened?”


“He is cheating on Michael with his brother!” Debs shrieks.


“We are not cheating!” Chris protests. “We have just been in each other’s company. The more time we spent together, the more we like each other!” 


“No way are two halfblood gay vamps not at least blowing each other!” Debs snarls. “Wait till Michael hears about this! Pack your bags and wait in the turret! I, Lady Deborah hereby ban...”


“Hell no, you don’t have the authority to do that!” Emmett reminds her sharply. “That remit falls to Lord Victor, and they have not...”


“How would you know that?!” Debs steps up to him.


“Because they are honourable men, and…” I declare getting between her and him when I see his eyes flash. “...you are to step back, Lady Deborah, or leave!” 


“Vic!” She exclaims. 


“Step or leave!” Justin fumes. “I see where he gets it from!” 


“Everyone calm down!” Brian orders. “As Emmett has said, you can’t banish anyone, and judging by Lord Victor’s response, he has suspected something for a while, correct?”


“Yes.” I concede. “This is going to be horrific when Michael hears about this.”


JUSTIN


“Why? Why can’t we proceed as we would, and…” David starts.


“You know what, that could work. I mean, I would have to speak to Michael, and there would have to be absolute discretion. We could not have this get out, think of the embarrassment that would cause?!” Unlady Deborah is beginning to piss me right off!


“Lady Deborah…” 


Say mutum rederre, say now and say it loud!


“Mutum rederre!” I shout.


“Oh my goodness!” Emmett gasps. “Did you really just mute her?!”


Say yes!


“Yes.” 


“But how?!” Lord Victor gapes at me. “I thought only Aldermen could do that!”


“Not necessarily.” Brian states. “Now, Lady Deborah, remember what happened to your kinfolk. Keep that mind blank, let your annoyance and indignation, jealousy, and hatred of the situation, as you call him, yet are happy to use him to suit your own ends, dissipate.” 


“What do you mean by that?!” Lord Victor exclaims.


“She knew. It is written all over her face. She knew! What did you hope to achieve?!”


“Muted remember?” Brian laughs. “Now finish it. Bring us back to the beginning.”


I can feel the panic rising, I can’t do this, whatever this is! 


Repeat after me...conloquio hoc nunquam factum est!


“Conloquio hoc nunquam factum est!” The room seems to quiver for a few long seconds, then I don’t know how but I know what to say next. “Lady Deborah, are you alright?”


“Par...pardon?” She frowns. “What do you mean am I alright?! No, of course not! Someone read me! You have abandoned my son in the midst of fuck knows where, and…” She turns to JR. “...and as for you, I don’t play favourites! You need to remember that you are the child and I am the adult!”


“You’d never know right now the way you are behaving!” Lord Victor snaps, then looks at his beeping phone. “I think you should leave and look out for your Michael. He managed to use his dubious charms to blag a plane ride for the pair of them. They land at Pittsburgh Airport in an hour!”


“Fine!” She spits and strides out, banging the door shut behind her.


“Question: how the hell…” Ben begins, then gapes at the back of the room. “Oh my goodness, you channelled him?!”


“Yes. Good evening all.” Elder Statesman Rodney strides towards us. “No, no, no, none of this…” He objects as we all drop to one knee. “...please get up and sit down!” He waits till we are seated. “Et oblinito locus!” He waits for a few seconds more. “Yes,  perfect.” He sits next to Brian and smiles at him. “That was naughty!”


“What was?” Brian blinks at him..


“Can someone please tell me what is going on?!” Gus is staring at Elder Statesman Rodney in awe. “What is channelled, when did you learn to speak Latin, Justin, what did you say and why does…”


“Gus, calm down. I will explain. I have been here for a while and have also had my suspicions of her intentions, so I channelled Master Lieutenant Taylor, because I knew if she saw it was me she would not reveal them.”


“So what happens now?” Lord Victor looks apprehensive.


“Nothing. Just because she has revealed them does not mean she will act on them. I hope she does not. Things have to come out in their natural order, but I grew impatient, the field is now levelled. Fear not, Lord Victor, I will not cause harm to your sister, but she will be punished if things progress the way she hopes.”


“What does she hope?” JR gasps. “Oh, seal the room and this conversation never happened.”


“Yes it did, we were right here.” Chris points out.


“No. That’s what Elder Statesman Rodney, via Justin, said. To clear her mind and her mind only, with the latter and stop eavesdroppers with et oblinitos locus.” JR beams at Brian. “How did you do that?! And could I do it?!”


“Halfbloods can't, sorry. As to how, that’s just a thing I am able to do.”


ELDER STATESMAN RODNEY


“True, you were born that way!” I smile at him. “But it should not work on me, so you have been finessing!” He raises an eyebrow. “Like I said, naughty!” I stand up and wiggle one arm at Brian and the other at Justin. “Walk with me.”


GAZEBO - TEN MINUTES LATER


“So, all actions have consequences.” I smile at this unexpected turn of events. “I do not like being blocked, so kiss him.”


Rodney! You must not meddle!


I am not meddling, Caroline, I am moving things along. Now let me get on with it! 


“That is your punishment. Proceed to administer.”


“Who are you talking to?” Brian gulps.


“Justin. He is to kiss you, you are to submit, I am to watch until I get uncomfortable.” I sit down on the bench. “Proceed.” They are both look at me then each other. “I am very serious, kiss him.”


JUSTIN


I know I shouldn’t be feeling smug, because there is the teeth issue, and I have heard about his abilities, but I believe I am better. I push him down onto the bench, he offers no resistance. I lower my head. “Pucker up, sweetheart.” I tease, just before our lips touch. When they do, I pull back in shock, then run my tongue over my teeth. “They’ve gone in! Kiss me now!”


“Well aren’t you...ummm!” I smash my mouth down, and despite his objection, his tongue meets mine immediately. He groans, then pulls back. “Get comfortable, we’re going to be here a while.”


The last thing I hear as the door closes is Elder Statesman Rodney mutter, oh yes, that worked perfectly.


BRIAN


Once the door shuts, still kissing, I cup his butt and stand. I walk us to a darkened corner and step into the shadows. Slowly I peel my mouth away from his. He looks confused. “Hi.”


“Uh, hi, why did you stop?”


“Have a question, well a couple. Where are we?” He looks around, gasping as he sees the interior of the gazebo. “Well that answers my first question. My second question is do you know?”


“Do I know what?” He murmurs. I smile as he pushes his arm in and out of the shadow. 


“Do you know what your birth parents did?”

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.