- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - THE POWER SURGE AND NO RESPITE FOR THE SCHEMERS


BRIAN


I feel the rage pouring off him as he heads inside. “Calm down.” I murmur.


“You’re right, this will take getting used to!” He mutters, but I can feel his hatred abating...for now. “I do not!” He exclaims, and I chuckle. “I don’t, how could you even think that?!”


“Not my thought, it’s yours! You did before Jared staked his claim.” I smirk.


“Get out! Get out now!” He orders, and I retreat. I wait for a few more minutes before following him out. As I come in, I see him greeting their guests. I smile at George and Drew, the father and son leaders of the Midwich Coven, whose competitiveness is the stuff of legend. There is nothing they won’t fight over!


“Kinney!” Drew exclaims on seeing me, and I brace myself. He flies into my chest, and I make sure we don’t go through the wall. “Damn, man, you is looking hot as hell! Still available?!”


“No, you most definitely are not!” Booms into my head. “Move him or I will, and it won’t be pretty!”


“Justin, for fuck sake!” I glare at him. “It is far too early for you to be possessive!”


“Not being possessive, he is being inappropriate!” He glares back.


“Will you two argue later?!” Alderman Virginia clamours, and we go silent. “Now act natural, and not like you two have had your first lover’s tiff without actually being lovers yet!” 


“How are they…” Justin gasps as he looks around the room. All are still.


“That would be down to me.” Alderman Virginia blooms into view. “Now can...when I am talking, you will listen to me, Justin!” He pulls his glare away from a still clamped to my chest, gazing adoringly at me, Drew. “Clearly the answer to my question is no, I cannot. You have too many thoughts, and are too hot tempered to deal with Michael now. Verum in domum suam!”


ALDERMAN VIRGINIA


I can’t help the smile as they bloom away to a sanctuary. How Kinney handles that little hot tempered puck should be interesting! “Dimittere eos!” I command, then wince as Drew clatters to the floor. “Master Drew, are you alright?!” I help him up, and almost bite through my lip as I hear Brian telling Justin off for wishing his teeth broke!


“I am fine. Uh, what happened to the Master Lieutenant?” He looks around, and I retreat to leave Brian to handle a suddenly power flexing Justin!


“The Counsel summoned them, urgent business!” I smile.


“Oh pity, I was looking forward to a late night chat…ooof!” He gasps as he slams into the wall.


“Drew, are you alright?!” George rushes to his son’s aid. “What the heck did they do that for?!” He fumes.


“We didn’t! Get him under control!” I yell at the ceiling, startling everyone into silence. “Ahem, Equerry Sapperstein is having an issue. Shall we go to the hall?”


“So if you didn’t, who did, Alderman?” George presses.


“It was a wayward shot from an undisciplined student. I apologise on his behalf.”


“Hmm. Thank you.” Drew replies, and we head inside. “Who’s that?!” He whispers at me.


“That is Emmett Honeycutt, he is…”


“Delicious!” Drew breathes.


“I saw him first!” George bristles.


“How come when you were behind me and doing up your laces?!” Drew retorts.


“Legs count, and I saw his legs first!”


“Gentlemen!” I hiss. “We are here to discuss the children, not your libidos!”


“Alderman Virginia, what a surprise, I wasn’t told of your visit.” Lady Deborah smarms at me but glowers at Emmett. “Why wasn't I told?”


“Because I didn’t know she was coming.” He returns her glower.


“Really? I thought you knew everything that goes on around here.” She bites back.


“Everything that I need to know, I know. Shall I get some more refreshments? Will the Master Lieutenants be returning?”


“Lady Deborah, do not chide Emmett, nobody was aware of my visit, which is twofold: To make sure an accord is reached with regards to the scholars and pages, and to oversee Master Michael and Princess Lindsay in the Master Lieutenants' absence.”


“You are going to be staying here?” She gapes and swallows hard.


“Is that a problem, Lady Deborah?” Emmett asks, then licks his teeth. “I know, I shall have the Dawn Room made up for you, Alderman, it is between Lady Deborah and Master Michael's rooms. Unless, of course, Lady Deborah has an issue with that…”


“None whatsoever.” She smiles tightly. “I shall just get Michael and Lord Vic…”


“I am here already.” Lord Victor’s voice floats down from the rafters. Gus and JR are holding onto his cloak giggling. “They wanted a floating lesson.” He explains with a smile. “Alderman Virginia, so lovely to have you in my home. George, Drew, a pleasure as always!”

 

“Our homet’s our home remember, Uncle Vic?” Michael calls out as he strides in. “Everyone sit. Drew, George, long time no see.” He goes to sit down next to his Uncle, but the seat moves and he lands on the floor. The children titter, so he glares at them.


“Was that necessary?” He mutters as he dusts himself down, then frowns when Mel and Ben join us. “They are required because?”


“I wish it.” I return. “They will be reporting back to the Master Lieutenants…”


He looks relieved. “Does that mean we have the weekend off?”


“No. I was just saying that I will be overseeing you and Princess Lindsay  instead.” I grin at his look of horror, which he quickly masks. “Now you and your Mother are to take your leave of us.”


“Us? Why aren’t we allowed to remain?” Lady Deborah bridles.


“It would be unfair of you to overhear what plans we have for your schooling this weekend ahead of Lindsay, wouldn’t it?”


“Of course. We shall…”


“Emmett, please take a seat.” Although surprised, he does as I ask.


“Why is he being let into this inner circle?” Michael barely keeps the snark out of his voice.


“Michael, do not question her this way.” Lord Victor reprimands him. “Remember what happened the last time you got cocky? And before you seek to say your piece, Lady Deborah, I wouldn’t.”


“Come on, Mother, let’s leave them to their tete a tete!” Micharl snipes and flounces into the hallway. After a scathing look at Emmett, she follows him into the darkness.


I quickly seal the room and everyone relaxes. “Suspect she will cause you problems, Emmett.”


“As opposed to what?” Ben sighs. “She really doesn’t seem to like you, why is that?”


“I have no truck with her nonsense, especially where her favoured boy is concerned.” Emmett scoffs. “Christopher is the much more focused of the two, does things properly.”


“So, back to the children. What are your plans for them?” I ask.


“Brian and Justin do wish them to remain as pages and scholar, but don’t think here is the right environment for them.” Mel explains as Gus and JR look hopefully at her. “What?”


“Mercury Tower is equidistant between both covens.” Gus pulls out a map. “It has the desired neutrality and the training facilities are better than here.”


“And Lord George and Drew can be our guests until then.” Lord Victor smiles.


“So I will get my time with Kinney after all, how nice.” Drew grins.


Well I for one can’t wait to see how Justin feels about that!

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive, thanks.