- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - HE FLOPS AND SHE PLOTS


LE MONT COVEN, WASHINGTON - THURSDAY MORNING


GRAND HALL


ALDERMAN LORRELLE


“I brought this with me, your Ladyship.” I hand her back her crown.


“Thank you. Please convey my apologies, again to Alderman Earl, I didn’t think that through, and…”


“I will.” I look across at Lord Victor, he looks apprehensive. “So the reason we are back…”.  


“You need to explain why not some more?” Michael interrupts, Lord Victor glowers at him. “What? It is a perfectly good question.”


“One that should not have been asked in that manner!” I declare. “But since it was, yes, we are here to explain. To explain that we have changed our minds. You are going to be allowed to rule, but this is…”


“Seriously?! Yes!” He whoops then leaps around the hall. “I can’t wait to tell David!” 


“Michael, sit down!” Lady Deborah orders, sulkily he sits. “I don’t understand. They were so vehemently opposed to it before, and…”


“Sis, they have the right to change their minds. What are the conditions?” Lord Victor still looks guarded. “Before he interrupted, you said contingent on…”


“Yes, contingent on their behaviour improving.” 


“Exactly what is wrong with my behaviour?” He quavers incredulously.


“You don't know your place or respect those above you!” I retort. 


“My place will be as ruler of this coven. Nobody will be...”


“Silence!” Virginia blasts, who has been quiet up till now. “Not another word or I will render you mute!” He almost bites through his tongue, shutting his trap. “As my fellow Alderman is trying to say, and this has already been explained to the Taylors; is that we have now taken other factors into consideration. Change is necessary, therefore, Michael and Lindsay will be given six months to adapt and improve, so they can show that they are fit to rule…” I see his mouth open but it closes when Virginia raises a finger. “...the decision rests with the Master Lieutenants, Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor.”


“Why them?” Lord Victor frowns.


“Because they will be observing them and teaching them all they know…” I pause, smiling as the image of Justin and his fang futility pops into my head. “...and maybe some things they don’t.”


“I know everything essential about being a vampire ruler.” Michael declares. “David and I will bring fresh blood, pardon the pun, to this coven. So when does this unnecessary training begin?”


“It already has!” A voice calls from the door.


“Who is that?” Lady Deborah gasps as the figure comes closer. “Wow! If I had a few hundred years off me…”


“I would respectfully decline.” He smiles then bows. “Master Lieutenant Kinney at your service, your Ladyship.” 


“Oh my goodness!” She sighs. “Are you sure you could not be persuaded?” She almost floats when he takes her hand and kisses it.


“Absolutely, since you are cock-less.” He laughs before turning his attention to Lord Victor. “I am honoured to meet you, Lord Victor.”


“The pleasure is mine. I have heard nothing but praise for your skills and heard tales of your prowess.” Lord Victor chuckles.


“Prowess?” Michael stands, swishing his cloak behind him with a flourish. “Does that mean you admire a man, Master Lieutenant?” He turns slowly to face Michael. I avoid eye contact with Virginia, as she, like me, can feel how unimpressed he is. “Well, are you?”


“If you mean am I gay, I have answered your...”


“But I have an advantage over her.”


“Not much of one.” He holds his gaze. “Besides, don’t you have a David?”


Lord Victor stops snickering when Virginia clears her throat. “Michael, Master Lieutenant Kinney is here to do a job, and it is not one on you. Now let us sit and discuss this with the dignity and class that this warrants. You will stop behaving as if you are trying to pick him up in a bordello.”


“Fine.” He retorts and Lady Deborah glares. “I also apologise for any offence you took.” He adds, before retaking his seat. “So, this training, will it be the same for Lindsay as it is for me? Who is teaching her?” 


“As Alderman Lorrelle said, Master Lieutenant Taylor is also…”


“Now that’s hardly fair, is it?” Once more he interrupts; I know what is coming. “She has a familial advantage. So what is he...”


“Mutum reddere!” Virginia snaps, then there is blissful silence. Lord Victor shakes his head at Michael’s frantic attempts to speak, which he ignores. “I did warn you! Now, there are no familial ties between them. Yes, they share the same surname, but that is all. The Masters at Arms, Melanie Marcus and Benjamin Bruckner, will be observing in the Liberty Pitts and Le Month Washington covens respectively. This is to ensure that all protocols are followed. Not that we doubt the integrity of the Lieutenants, but having fresher eyes is helpful.”


BRIAN


This is a surprise to me. When Mel returned she never mentioned that.


“She didn't know. We only thought of it on our journey here.” Alderman Lorrelle explains. I acknowledge the read with a smile. “And yes, he is, very much so. I know that he could not beat you, but Jared will have a go!”


“Ah, the course of true love.” I tease her gently. She tries to scowl, but I can hear her laughter. “Where do we train them? Exactly how much knowledge does he have?” I pop my tongue at the babbling that is raging through Michael, who, from what I have heard, having been brought up in privilege, does not take instruction well.


“He knows the rules of the court, our history, what can and can’t be done, and about our ancestors.” Lady Deborah answers, but it is the tone that gets my attention.


“Which he follows implicitly?” I rise to sit above the fireplace. “Before you answer that, why a fireplace?”


“I like to look at the flames.” Lord victor replies.


“Fair enough. So the following part, Lady Deborah?” I prompt her, but look at Michael, whose indignation and frustration has been joined by another emotion: confusion...hmm interesting.


“To my knowledge, he has. Nobody has told me to the contrary.” She smiles but also licks her teeth. 


“Nobody has told you, or you’ve disbelieved them?” I query. She again licks her teeth...very interesting. “All will be revealed as they journey to their final destination.” I return to my seat. “May I propose a meeting between the six of us…”


“Six?” Lord Victor looks puzzled. “Ah, I see. I think this is a good idea, could this happen soon?”


“Alderman Virginia, if you could, please?” I gesture at Michael.


“I suppose so. Had hoped for this to be when we were leaving.” She clicks her fingers and we wait.


“Ndhfiwmncnjdmm n gux rhn w ovmsje ne mdshfbgm fiql kxmhnc’fn ndnfma mdmeivnms iv s”vnglw8. S’snfjso8rnc gi,snang”s clnflad jtnfmek n d9s nod,Cnsif kee,mcjenk fakfnos ciema ei’f k3ms fjg n3l we!” Michael splutters before clapping his hand over his mouth. “Webcja…?!” He exclaims seconds later.


“Knows what can and can't be done, huh?” I scoff at Lady Deborah, whose annoyance ramps up, before turning to Michael. “You need to calm down, let all things dissipate. And  the next time someone does mutum rederre you, which means render him mute, to just sit quietly. Do not try to speak because what happens once you are released from your bondage of silence, is word vomit.”


“Master Lieutenant, I am…”


“Lady Deborah of Le Mont Coven, Washington, I am aware of who you are and the lineage of this family!” I fume. When she shrinks back slightly, I hear the calming tones of Alderman Earl pushing through my anger, but she needs to know what she can and cannot do where I am concerned. “I outrank you in that respect, so no, I will not doff my cap to you, I will not lick anybody’s asses, and I will not bend for anyone!”


“I think we should end this here.” Alderman Virginia stands. “I suggest they meet on Saturday at a neutral location.”


“Agreed. We will let all parties know where that will be.” Alderman Lorrelle glides to my side, then turns to the rest of them. “Know this, the Master Lieutenants have the backing of all the Aldermen Elders, and you will all treat them as if they were us!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


LORD VICTOR


I stare into the flames before regarding my sister and nephew. “All you two had to do was be quiet and let them tell us what was going to happen. Why couldn't you do that?”


“We have the right to ask questions!” Debs bristles before stroking Michael’s arm. “Well, I think I speak on behalf of both of us when I say we are not looking forward to meeting him again, are we, Michael?!” He nods and scowls. “Such rudeness and arrogance! But it is only six months, and you know how quickly that will fly.”


“Hmmm.” Michael mumbles, still not daring to speak, much to my delight.


“Oh, I know, why not go tell David the good news?” She encourages. With a curt nod at me and a kiss to her cheek he swishes out. “You get your wish now, you can abdicate, well in six months!” 


“Do you still intend to request to be Michael’s adviser?”


“What’s wrong with that?!” She snorts. “It will be Michael and David reigning, not me.”


“Rubbish, you will still reign but alongside David, as your precious son wants the title but not everything that comes with it! And in the highly unlikely event of him passing these tests, when they find out about your duplicity, the Aldermen Elders will be furious!”


“I am not being duplicitous! Besides he will pass as long as that arrogant douchebag doesn’t set him up for failure. He has to be fair! And once he does, the Aldermen Elders will see it makes perfect sense!”


“Nobody sets Michael up for failure, Debs, but Michael. Besides if anybody has to play fair it is him!” I seethe. “Unlike Michael, Kinney’s arrogance is warranted. Maybe he is a douchebag, but not when it comes to things like this. I know of him! He has the ear, but more importantly, the backing of the Elders.” She curls her lip and heads towards the door. “Sis, the last time they sent you back without your crown. Don’t give them a reason to send you back without your head.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanaks.