- Text Size +

IAN

 

Unfortunately, Lindsay only got as far as her room before she became hysterical again. Dr Jacobs asked us to stay out while he tried to get her to talk to him. Justin and I waited outside her room. He wanted to be there if Lindsay needed him.

 

“I thought we were doing the right thing for her,” Justin says, staring up at the ceiling.

 

“At the time, it was really the only thing. One of the things you learn in my field is that the mind protects and hides things. I’ve spent years with patients, finding things out that might have helped sooner if the patient had been willing to talk about it. In Lindsay’s case, until her mind lets it loose, you wouldn’t know,” I tell him.

 

“She was there when Patrick was born and screamed his lungs off,” Justin tells me.

 

“It wouldn’t have mattered, she’d already started retreating into her mind. Patients that far gone don’t see reality, just what their mind wants them to see,” I tell him.

 

“But somehow she believed Patrick died?” Justin asks.

 

“Yes, and if Dr Jacobs can get her to talk about it, things could get better for her,” I tell him.

 

“What does it say about him that fourteen years and we’re still only now finding out things?” Justin asks.

 

“It says that unless Lindsay was ready, no one could have helped her. He did the best he could with what he knew, which Lindsay was keeping from all of you,” I tell him as Dr Jacobs clears his throat, obviously having heard what Justin said.

 

“She’s doing better, if you want to see her,” Dr Jacobs says to Justin.

 

“I know you’ve done everything to help her. I was just frustrated at myself for not knowing,” Justin tells him.

 

“As Ian said, sometimes all we can do is wait until the patient is ready, and for the first time, I think she is,” Dr Jacobs says smiling.

 

“Did she say anything about why she finally connected to Patrick today?” I ask.

 

“I was afraid at first she was reverting when she answered, but for her, Patrick was a lost boy. And she said Peter finally brought him to Brian. She was able to see the Brian of now and separate him from Peter. That’s a win, Justin. She really wants to see you, not wanting you to worry about her,” Dr Jacobs tells Justin.

 

Lindsay was sitting on the bed when we walked in. I offered to leave if she wanted to talk to Justin alone. She seemed to be waiting for something, and when Justin sat next to her on the bed, she spoke to me.

 

“You’re family, which means dealing with me,” She says in a teasing tone.

 

I sat on the couch as Justin laid back and let Lindsay rest her head on his chest. The way they did it told me this was common between them. Justin didn’t say anything, letting Lindsay talk only if she wanted to.

 

“Thank you,” Lindsay says quietly to Justin.

 

Justin raised her face so she looked him in the eye before saying anything to her. “Never thank me for giving me Patrick, it was my privilege to be his father. I wish I knew you thought he’d died,”

 

“I didn’t know to tell you,” She tells him.

 

“Something triggered you to remember it?” I asked.

 

Lindsay closed her eyes and breathed deeply, before saying anything. “I remembered wishing that Patrick had been Brian’s, and not because as Mel thought, I wanted him as more than a friend. I knew Brian would walk through fire for his child. He’d never tell me to get rid of it the way Mel and Sam did. I knew Brian would love and support the baby, the way he did with Gus. Things got confusing when I saw Brian holding on to Patrick’s hand because my mind kept saying the baby died. When you asked me, it was like a door opened and there was the baby that I forgot… Oh God, what happened to my Jenny?” Lindsay asks, staring at Justin.

 

“She grew up to be a very sassy, and wonderful sister for Gus,” Justin tells her.

 

“Does she, hate me, the way Mel told me Gus would?” Lindsay asks Justin.

 

“Does Gus hate you?” Justin asks.

 

“No?” She questions, looking at me.

 

“He loves you, and Jenny will too, once she understands everything,” I tell her.

 

“I’m tired,” Lindsay tells Justin.

 

“Sleep. I’ll be here,” Justin tells her, as her eyes close.

 

Lindsay got more comfortable on Justin’s chest, mumbling to him before falling asleep. Justin kissed her head, smiling.

 

“What did she say?” I ask quietly.

 

“She said she could finally leave Neverland,” He tells me.

 

“Win,” I say, watching her sleep peacefully.

 

“She usually sleeps a few hours after dealing with things,” Justin tells me.

 

“Do you stay the whole time?” I ask.

 

“I want to today, but most of the time I leave when she’s fully asleep,” Justin tells me.

 

“I’d like to stay too,” I tell him, getting comfortable reading the text Gus sent me. “Apparently Brian is willing to compete in a hot dog eating contest,” I read to Justin.

 

“I have a feeling our asses are going to be stuck at the gym for days after this,” Justin groans.

 

My thoughts went to all the other ways Gus likes to break a sweat, looking up when Justin groaned louder. “What?” I ask.

 

“I just didn’t need to know that Gus and Brian had that in common,” He says, before snickering at the blushing I was probably doing.

 

DEB

 

I opened the door to get an armful of Jenny, and Mel looking as if she was doing me a favor by letting her stay with me. The smile disappeared when she saw Jennifer sitting in my kitchen.

 

“What is she doing here?” Mel asks as if I needed her permission to have anyone in my house.

 

Jenny rolled her eyes and ignored Mel’s irritation as she walked over and introduced herself to Jennifer.

 

“Gus said you were really nice,” Jenny tells her as I decided to set Mel straight.

 

“Jen and I meet for coffee every day, which won’t change because you don’t like it. My offer for you to stay doesn’t mean changing my life to suit yours,” I tell her, making it clear that Jennifer will always be welcome in my home.

 

“Jenny you grew up to be beautiful, Justin always said you would,” Jennifer says, ignoring Mel’s glare. “While I’d love to stay and visit, I have clients waiting for me to do my job. They just hate it when I steer them wrong, so I always make sure they get what they pay me for,” Jennifer says, smiling as her words hit her target.

 

Jennifer walked by, hugging me, while completely ignoring Mel’s rage. “I’ll be gone for a few days to help Emmett make sure the wedding is as fabulous as my sons deserve. Hopefully, while I’m there my grandsons will get everything they want,” Jennifer says as she looks pointedly at Mel.

 

“Justin definitely deserves Brian,” Mel snaps.

 

“I couldn’t agree more. But then, who wouldn’t want sons as successful as those two men,” Jennifer says sweetly as she walks out the door.

 

“I don’t want you around her,” Mel says to Jenny.

 

“Why? Because it just shows how big of a liar you are?” Jenny challenges.

 

“You will respect me,” Mel demands, standing over Jenny.

 

“Yeah, that’s really how respect works. Do nothing for it and expect it,” Jenny says, facing off with Mel.

 

“This is all Gus’ fault…” Mel starts before Jenny cuts her off.

 

“Keep telling yourself that. Because nothing you do could ever be your fault. You screwed up your job, yet somehow it ends up being because men don’t respect you. I get upset and somehow it’s my dad’s and grandmother’s fault, because, of course, you’re so damn perfect. Gus and I lost our mother, and you tell us that it was because she didn’t love us, not because you treated her like crap. Why not realize for once that the shit that happens to YOU, is because of you and you alone!” Jenny screams.

 

Mel stood there raging before she slapped Jenny in the face hard enough to knock her to the floor. I cursed myself for not being able to get to her in time. I had Jenny in my arms, as Mel seemed to figure out what she did. 

 

“I didn’t… Oh, God.” Mel says, as if in shock.

 

“What? You didn’t mean it? Isn’t that my dad’s line?” Jenny asks, full of hate.

 

“I’ve never… I just...” Mel says, stopping when Jenny got up and ran upstairs, slamming the door. “Deb, please, I’ve never laid a hand on her before,” Mel says, begging me to believe her.

 

“The fact that you just did should tell you that you need help,” I tell her.

 

“That’s rich coming from you. I’ve lost count of how many times you hit Michael,” She says as if it justified her actions.

 

“You want to compare that to what you just did? Okay, we will. I never once left a bruise on my child or brought him to the floor. Although he probably deserved that and more for the things he’s done to everyone who loved him. I only once ever regret raising my hand to someone, and it wasn’t Michael,” I tell her.

 

“You actually admit you aren’t perfect, there's something new,” Mel snaps, as Carl comes in quietly.

 

“I excused it, with my grief over losing Vic, but it doesn’t excuse my laying a hand on, Brian. It didn’t matter that what he said sounded callous, it matters that I did what his father did to him all his life. Do you want to know what made it worse? Brian was grieving the only way he knew how. I let my guilt over my last conversation with Vic, hurt Brian. I own my faults. Something you still aren’t capable of. You hurt Jenny, and instead of getting down on your knees and praying she’ll forgive you, you toss the blame,” I tell her.

 

“Hurt her how?” Carl asks in a deadly voice.

 

“I don’t think Jenny and I should stay here,” Mel says, avoiding looking at Carl.

 

“I don’t trust you if you leave,” I warn her.

 

The door opened and Jenny came down the stairs, Carl looked up at her red face, no longer needing an explanation. “Did she do that?” Carl asks Jenny.

 

“Jenny, tell them it’s never happened before,” Mel demands.

 

“Sure. Since I really never want to be anything like you,” Jenny says to Mel before looking at Carl. “Yes, she hit me, and yes it was the first time,” Jenny told Carl.

 

“Do you want to press charges?” Carl asks her.

 

“Carl, I wasn't thinking, and she was fighting with me,” Mel tells him.

 

“She’s right, I was. Since I don’t think I should have to respect someone who didn’t do anything to deserve it. Do I want to press charges, no, but I want it documented so my mother understands she is never to lay another hand on me,” Jenny tells him.

 

“I don’t want her in our house,” Carl tells me, calling a friend.

 

“What am I supposed to do?” Mel asks me.

 

“Call someone who you haven’t pissed off and hope they’ll take you in,” Carl tells her, after hanging up the phone.

 

“If I can’t, Jenny and I will be on the streets,” Mel tells him.

 

“I think we can agree that Jenny can stay here, or I’ll make sure you have a place to stay for a couple of days,” Carl warns.

 

“Jenny…” Mel says, stopping when Jenny shook her head and went back up to the bedroom.

 

“Maybe your partner in crime will help you,” I say, wondering how things were going for Michael and David.

 

“Make sure she tells Gus… Fuck. This is the last thing I need,” Mel says when both Carl and I look at her like she was nuts for thinking we’d do anything for her. 

 

Carl followed Mel outside while I went upstairs to check on Jenny. She sat on the bed in tears, making me want to kill Mel and Michael for not being parents Jenny needed.

 

“I hate them,” Jenny whispers.

 

“Baby, it will get better, no matter what it takes, we'll make it better,” I tell her.

 

“I want what Gus and Patrick have,” She tells me.

 

“Oh honey, I’m sure lots of kids wish they were lucky enough to have Brian and Justin love them. Even though they haven’t been able to show you, trust me, they love you. You know what, you might get the chance to find out,” I tell her, thinking she needed to know what her brother was willing to do.

 

“What do you mean?” Jenny asks, drying her tears.

 

“Ian and Gus want you to live with them, and there are two other people who also want to see you,” I tell her.

 

“Gus really wants me to stay with him and Ian? Wait, who are the other people? Oh my God, I could stay with Gus, really?” Jenny says, excitedly throwing questions at me.

 

“Gus and Ian hired a lawyer, so yes, they really do want you with them. If for some reason they can’t make that happen, Carl and I will find a way for you to stay with us,” I tell her, making her wait impatiently about Ben and Hunter.

 

“Grandma, you’re killing me,” Jenny begs.

 

“Ben and Hunter called me recently and they hope you’ll want to see them,” I tell her.

 

“Ben still cares about me?” She asks.

 

“Do you remember either of them?” I ask her since she was barely three when Ben left.

 

“I don’t really remember Hunter, but I remember missing Ben when he wasn’t there anymore. He loved me didn’t he?” Jenny asks.

 

“He really did, and to him, you were his daughter, no matter what you might have been told. He plans to help Gus for you,” I tell her, feeling bad about how I didn’t support Ben when he left Michael.

 

“Mama is going to end up alone,” Jenny says sadly.

 

Carl came in with another officer, hearing Jenny. “Hopefully, she’ll figure out a way to straighten out her life and see what’s important,” 

 

The officer took the pictures Carl asked for and agreed to not file it but make it available if Carl asked for it. I wrote a statement for the file, as well as having Jenny write one. We left Jenny to sleep and went downstairs, both exhausted.

 

“You know, I wasn’t always the best father, and I’ve lied to my kids, but Mel makes me look like ‘father of the year’,” Carl tells me.

 

“Do you think this will win it for Gus and Ian?” I ask.

 

“It will depend on the judge, and if Mel can convince them this is out of character for her. The system still believes biology matters, and Mel spent years defending parents,” Carl tells me.

 

“So she knows what the judge will be looking for,” I comment.

 

“Hunter’s mother managed to convince a judge, even with her record,” He reminds me, shaking his head.

 

TED

 

I missed Blake already. He already had plans to come this weekend, so I started planning things we could do in my head. Which left me smiling, that it felt like my life was finally back on track. I called Brian since he offered to let me stay with him and Justin until my apartment was ready. Originally I was going to stay in his apartment, but Brian mentioned Emmett and Drew connected sooner than he planned and I probably wouldn’t get any sleep. I was thrilled for Emmett, and slightly worried since Emmett doesn’t do anything slowly. Instead, he jumps in with both feet. I texted Emmett to let him know I brought his furry crew with me since I was hoping Emmett would stay here. When he didn’t text back right away, I stopped and got lunch for me and the crew. Blake was keeping my cat, who actually came out of hiding when Blake walked in the door. Hell, Mozart was really Blake’s cat, no matter how many treats I tried to give him. I laughed at the strange looks I was getting as the cats sat next to me, waiting for a treat. My phone buzzed, as the cats attacked me trying to get the whole bag of treats. So my greeting had Emmett laughing.

 

“You greedy little harpies, share with your brother,” I say, putting the phone up to my ear.

 

“Rommy or Michelle?” Emmett asks.

 

“Sunny joined in this time,” I say, laughing when Sunny gave me an indignant look for telling on her.

 

“When can you bring them to me?” Emmett asks impatiently.

 

“When you won't scar them for life,” I say jokingly.

 

“Drew and I have been entertaining his family, get your mind out of the gutter,” Emmett tells me.

 

“That’s a big thing,” I tell him.

 

“I know I should take it slowly, but seeing him again, it’s like everything missing came together for me,” He tells me.

 

“We all deal with things at different speeds. Unless he does something to make you doubt him, don’t let the past come between you,” I tell him.

 

“How is it going with Blake?” He asks.

 

“I found out Brian was right, when you love someone there isn’t a limit to forgiveness,” I say as Baz dug his claws into me. “Not the jewels,” I warn him.

 

“You know what, hang up and get over here. I have so much gossip to tell you,” Emmett tells me.

 

BRIAN

 

Gus kept shaking his head as I groaned the whole way back to the house. Patrick, the little shit, was smirking that he proved to Coney Island he was a bottomless pit.

 

“So Patrick, want to tell me about… hum, what was the name Emmett texted to all of us, Da?” Gus says, watching Patrick squirm a bit.

 

“You mean Taylor?” I ask as Patrick gave me a warning look.

 

“Yeah, explain to me how you ended up dating someone with the name Taylor, Patrick Taylor-Kinney,” Gus asks, trying to be serious but failing.

 

“I didn’t pick the name, he came with it,” Patrick tells him.

 

“So what’s he like, and why didn’t you tell me?” Gus asks.

 

“He’s funny, smart, unbelievably good looking, and supports me in everything I want to do. I just haven’t gotten around to telling you about him with everything else going on,” Patrick tells him.

 

“What do you think of him?” Gus asks me.

 

“Strangely enough I like him, even while wanting to kill him,” I say, sort of joking. Seriously, this is my little boy here.

 

“Was he like this with Ian?” Patrick asks Gus.

 

“Yes. But by then Gus was an adult and stopped running wild once Ian was in the picture. So the want to kill him was still there, you’re my sons,” I tell him before Gus can answer.

 

“The only thing Da teased me about was that Ian’s a psychiatrist,” Gus tells him.

 

“Which doesn’t mean I don’t respect his profession. It had more to do with how people run to a therapist, not understanding there aren’t quick fixes. Justin and I actually approve of Taylor, which reminds me…” Patrick interrupts before I can ask.

 

“Drew and Emmett took us out to eat, so we only ate the Ziti and the calzones. Taylor wouldn’t let me eat the potato and sausage soup, or the lasagna,” Patrick grumbled.

 

MICHAEL

 

David came in, ignoring me while he went upstairs and started slamming around. I turned the volume up on Dirty Dancing, unwilling to give a shit about anything. I knew what pissed him off since Hank showed up and took great joy in showing me my ass was likely out the door. At first, I panicked, remembering how Ben easily kicked me out since everything was in his name when we were together, but I’d made David add me to everything when we got together. The lawyer I called confirmed the situation wasn’t going to be a replay of Ben and me. It was the first time all day I smiled. David and I jointly owned everything, and he couldn’t kick me out of my home. I left the office doing what the lawyer told me, opening an account with one of our savings accounts and half of the checking. My lawyer told me that I should have done it when everything was going well, not when it was likely going down the toilet. I had every right since my name is on it. When I got back home, I was just happy David still hadn't gotten back. After that, I came back and went back to imagining Brian and me as the main characters while I watched Sawyze charm the pants off Baby. Ignoring the sounds David was making upstairs.

 

David stomped down the stairs, dropping a bag. Then he pissed me off when he stopped the CD, breaking it in half and throwing the pieces at me.

 

“What the hell?” I scream, holding the pieces in my hand.

 

“Hell…? Do you want to know what my version of hell is? Do you?” David asks, not waiting for me to tell him that I don’t give a shit. “It’s going to work to find out the partnership I wanted was off the table… along with my practice,” He stopped, looking at me like it was my fault somehow. I hoped he’d get that I still didn’t give a fuck. “I had to sit there as Thomas played me your greatest hits,” He says, watching me for some reaction.

 

“What do you want me to say? You’re an idiot if you think I actually prefer you over Brian,” I snorted at the idea, enjoying his anger that I wasn’t kissing his ass.

 

“I don’t need you to since you told all of fucking Pittsburgh. I really loved the way you begged Ted and your mother to help you with him. As if the fourteen years of silence hadn’t clued you in that Brian DOESN’T WANT YOU. By now even a moron would have figured it out.” David says snidely.

 

“He would have come back, but I married YOU!” I yell at him.

 

“And now, my life is ruined BECAUSE I MARRIED INTO A FAMILY THAT CAN’T KEEP THEIR FUCKING MOUTHS SHUT!” David shouts back.

 

“Didn’t like hearing the truth, for a change. Even when we first met you had nothing on Brian, ” I scoff.

 

“Just like you have nothing compared to Justin Taylor. You don’t have his looks, his talent,... hell, you don’t have any talent except to ruin anything you touch. Unlike you, Justin Taylor can have anyone. And they all want him, including Brian Kinney. So here's a truth for you- YOU NEVER STOOD A CHANCE AGAINST JUSTIN IN BRIAN’S EYES, ” David sneers.

 

“Fuck you. You’re little feelings got hurt that you’d never be good enough. It doesn’t mean I have to believe it,” I say, pissed that he actually sounded jealous over Justin.

 

“Fuck you and your mother for costing me my job!” David yells.

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask since this was something that affected me.

 

“Did you even listen to your mother, past hearing Justin was stupid enough to say yes to Brian?” David asks.

 

“What? The shit she spouted about Hunter?” I ask.

 

“She also disparaged my practice and the clinic. Saying people shouldn’t spend their money on doctors like me.” He tells me.

 

“So? You said nobody listens to people like her,” I reminded him.

 

“I was wrong since apparently patients were canceling left and right, not just with me, but with half the clinic,” David tells me.

 

“I guess my family isn’t as lowly thought of as you constantly tell me,” I snicker.

 

“Hopefully they don’t think lowly of you as I believe you really are since you better hope they’ll take you in,” David says, looking smug.

 

“Why would I need that, since you can’t kick me out of MY house,” I say, having fun that he couldn’t control my life.

 

“What are you talking about?” He asks, sounding confused.

 

“I’m not as stupid as you constantly act like I am. Believe it or not, I learned something after Ben. So I can congratulate myself for letting you believe I really loved you and getting you to put me on everything you own… Oh wait, WE own.” I say, savoring the victory the moment David realized I made a fool of him from the beginning.

 

David didn’t react as I hoped, making my smirk dim, “What?” I ask.

 

“Without my income, you’ll also own half of the debt, since we’ll be broke by the time the divorce gets done. OUR house is mortgaged to the hilt, and before your mother set out to ruin us, we could have afforded it, along with the cars.” He says, not looking as upset as he should about it.

 

“That’s your problem. I made sure I didn’t have to worry,” I tell him.

 

“Oh, you mean the money you took from our joint account and savings?” David asks.

 

“So the shithead at the bank called you?” I ask, still not worried.

 

“Yes he did, since you wanted to transfer over half of our account,” He tells me.

 

“Which I did,” I say, smiling.

 

“Well, apparently you never read the paperwork when I added you to the accounts, which stated that I could refuse any transfers made without my approval,” David tells me.

 

“You still can’t kick me out,” I counter with the only thing I had.

 

“I won’t. But when the bank seizes the house they’ll do it for me,” David says, picking up the bag and leaving the house. 

 

I scrambled for my phone, hoping David was just bluffing, but the balance on the accounts told me that my plans weren’t going to happen with the hundred dollars he left in them. I went to my email, ignoring the notifications fucking Thomas had been flooding my email with, finally finding the one where David transferred the money out. I looked up the accounts that were ours, to find out he had closed them. David ruined my plan to dazzle Brian with the expensive hotel and dinner. Brian needed to see I was willing to do what it took to show him I was better than Justin.