- Text Size +

 

MEL

 

I pulled up to Deb's neighborhood, planning to let Gus know how I felt about him pulling strings and getting the mediation hearing practically overnight. I went ahead and hired Carol when I got the summons only a couple of days later. She wasn't happy that I couldn't come up with character witnesses and told me I needed to make sure I was present as much as possible in Jenny's life instead of leaving her with her grandmother. Gabriel let Carol know Jenny was being evaluated for competence and both of us were invited to the appointment. I tried to protest that they shouldn't be allowed to make any decision where Jenny was concerned without my permission, only to find out that David gave permission for the evaluation since he still had custody along with Michael. I told Carol I'd pick Jenny up and bring her since she and I needed to talk and try to work out our differences.

 

A kid came out of the house barely noticing me at first as he went to one of the cars. He was on the phone laughing and smiling like everything in his world was great. I was so stunned when I realized who he was that I just stood there not being able to say anything. He noticed me as he looked around. He didn't glare at me or act as if seeing me meant anything to him. It was like I wasn't even worth his disdain or notice. I couldn't stop staring at him and jumped when Ted spoke behind me.

 

"It's hard to see it isn't it?" Ted asked.

 

"What?" I asked, as Blake walked by and went into the house with Patrick.

 

"He doesn't look anything like some evil villain that set out to ruin your life, instead he's just an innocent kid. Yet somehow, in your mind, he was the reason everything went to shit," Ted told me.

 

"Was I supposed to overlook what she did by lying to me once again?" I asked him.

 

"You know you have it all wrong, don't you?" He asked.

 

"What did I get wrong?" I asked, waiting for him to blast me, the way everyone else had been doing.

 

"Justin wasn't siding with either of you. He didn't help Lindsay because he saw her as the ‘right' one. None of us do. It's understandable why you felt the way you did when Lindsay broadsided you by not telling you about the baby. You had the right to know that Lindsay was pregnant before you and she tried again. Do you need to hear that you were right for being hurt and not wanting the responsibility Lindsay expected you to take on? You had a right to how you felt, it's just that none of us agree that what you and Michael did to her was justified. You think Justin didn't care if you were hurt because he wouldn't listen to you. Justin likely understood how you felt, but didn't agree with the way you took it out on Lindsay. Even if he let you explain it, it wouldn't have changed his mind about helping Lindsay when she needed it. He'd spent his life dealing with Michael trying to fuck with Brian's head, so maybe you can think about why he wouldn't have wanted to hear any excuses from you for showing him you could be as petty as Michael was," he told me.

 

"I didn't make Michael say shit," I told him.

 

"You wouldn't have to make him say anything. Michael revels in trying to hurt anyone who gets in his way to Brian. Which Lindsay could do since Brian listened to her more than anyone, other than Justin. You don't even realize he was using you to vent his anger at Lindsay still being important to Brian, not agreeing with you that Lindsay needed to be punished for hurting you. I don't understand why you couldn't have just ended the relationship instead of doing your best, with Michael's help, to destroy another human being," he said without any anger in his voice, just disappointment.

 

"You couldn't understand how I felt because you've never had someone betray you in so many ways," I told him.

 

"When you love someone, really love them, leaving them instead of hurting them should be how you deal with it," he told me.

 

"So I was supposed to suck it up and let her split up our family, for a child she didn't even keep in the end?" I asked him.

 

"Does it bother you that Patrick didn't end up with some shitty life? That he grew up in a house full of love that Brian and Justin gave the kid no one wanted? Was HE supposed to be punished too?" He asked.

 

"I didn't care what happened to him, just that I didn't have to live with a reminder of a man sleeping with Lindsay. Only he's now part of Gus' life," I told him.

 

"Gus knows Patrick is blameless for what happened between you and Lindsay. He's willing to get to know Patrick, and not blame him for something he had nothing to do with," He told me.

 

"He blames me, and Brian once again is the one who nothing touches," I told him.

 

"It always comes back to Brian for you, doesn't it? You needed to blame him, so you wouldn't have to admit that you and Lindsay were over long before she cheated on you. Instead, you did what you and Lindsay always did," he told me.

 

"Try to work it out? Because that's what I thought we were doing," I told him.

 

"No. You let Brian do it for you, so neither of you would have to deal with what caused the problems in the first place. You had an affair on Lindsay and ran to Brian instead of Lindsay to solve it for you. He had to give up his son so you and Lindsay would do what you promised him for Gus. Your wedding was in the toilet and who did you run to? Brian. Who ended up planning the whole thing for not just Lindsay but for YOU. Lindsay ends up having an affair and once again Brian had to take care of his son because neither you nor Lindsay thought twice about the fact that having a child meant taking care of the child even if you're not together anymore. Brian was broke the first time you and Lindsay broke up, yet he was willing to beggar himself to make sure Gus was provided for, while you lived with your cousin, not helping with Gus' basic needs," he told me.

 

"I couldn't afford to help her," I answered.

 

"Neither could Brian, but it didn't change that he did help. Do you know that when Justin left Brian for the guy you introduced him to, that Brian still wanted to make sure Justin was okay and had what he needed? Brian paid for Justin's college. He tossed jobs at Justin to make sure he could support himself. And Brian was willing to see there were things that they both did wrong in their relationship, not just blaming the breakup on Justin cheating on him. It's why Gus isn't angry at Brian, because Brian isn't acting like he did nothing wrong. He isn't discounting that Gus needed time to deal with learning that he was lied to all of his life. He also didn't expect Gus to drop everything to solve his problems the way you did. Gus needed to be left to deal with his feelings, instead of trying to fix the problems you caused yourself. What's funny is that Brian never put conditions on the support he gave you and Lindsay, but somehow you see him as worse than David and Michael. To me, what they did is worse than anything you THINK Brian ever did to you. Brian put up with you for Gus, because he loves his son, and Gus loved you. Why did you put up with Michael and David when nothing they did would be considered loving Jenny?" he asked me.

 

"So Brian's also the better parent than me?" I challenged.

 

TED

 

I couldn't find the woman I once loved like a sister in the Melanie Marcus standing in front of me now. She was determined to win, even if it meant losing everything that should be important to her. I wasn't willing to lie to her, but I also didn't plan on hurting her more just because I could. I wouldn't repeat what she and Michael did to Lindsay. What she did didn't affect my life the way it did for Brian, Justin, and Gus. I just hoped something would get through to her before she lost everything.

 

"He's a parent the way he's a parent, making mistakes or doing it right, depending on the day and the situation. It's not for me to judge which one of you did it better or worse. At the end of the day, the only ones that have that right are the kids you raised. Will they still want you around as they move on in their lives, or will they cut all ties with you and leave you to only hear about their lives? Mel, what your doing is what your parents did to you. They issued ultimatums and then cut you off the minute you did what you wanted. Why would you expect it to work on your daughter or son, or even want to do something reminiscent of what your parents did wrong with you? You want me to give you an answer on who's the better parent? From what I can see, Brian and Justin's way of raising their son works because that kid would fight to the death for his fathers. If I ever have kids, it's how I would hope they felt about me, and if they didn't I'd do whatever it took to keep them from cutting me completely out of their lives," I told her.

 

"Jenny should see that I'm fighting for her," She told me.

 

"Are you? What was the reason you had for trying to keep people who genuinely love Jenny out of her life? Was she supposed to only love you? It's the only reason I can think of that you allowed Michael and David in her life but wanted Deb, Gus, and Ben out of her life," I tell her.

 

"Michael had rights," she argued.

 

"So did Brian, yet you only had problems with Brian, who's always tried to do anything for Gus. Michael, you gave a free pass to, and your daughter ended up suffering for it. Don't try to justify it, just listen to me. Don't let your relationship with Jenny become what Justin's relationship with his father is now. I know you might think it's different for you, but one thing that will be the same is your child walking away from you. You have a chance to keep that from happening by letting Gus take Jenny while you fix your life," I tell her.

 

Mel stood there not saying anything, then shook her head like it would change the future I predicted. "By the way, David told me to tell you he waited until he could screw you over before tossing the responsibility of Michael on someone else. He also said to tell you he wasn't going to do what you probably thought he would, and Lucas is now Michael's POA," I told her.

 

"Why would I care?" She asked.

 

"I just thought you should know what the guy you sided with did. He said the last thing he would do was anything you or Michael wanted. Apparently, he thinks you and Michael have one thing in common- you're both obsessed with Brian," I told her, leaving her standing outside of a family she could have been a part of.

 

Jenny passed by me, walking around Mel to the car. As Mel pulled away, Jenny turned to look out the window and put earbuds in, pretty much telling Mel she wasn't willing to listen to anything she had to say.

 

GUS

 

Ian and I stood at the airport waiting for Izzy, Ian's sister, to land. It was the only thing I looked forward to since we came to Pittsburgh. Izzy was just a happy person in general, and strangely, Patrick reminded me of her. When Ian called her and told her what was going on, her first words were asking how I was doing and offering any help we needed. She planned to visit and help Emmett out but changed her plans when she found out we were coming to Pittsburgh so we could deal with Jenny's situation as soon as we could. 

 

Gabriel managed to get a mediation hearing tomorrow and Izzy wanted to be there with us and offer any support we needed. I talked to my dad and we decided it was better for him not to be there since it wasn't about him, but about Ian and me wanting Jenny. Gabriel asked Ben to be there in case Mel's attorney had any questions about his statement. Jenny was seeing a psychiatrist Alex recommended since she dealt with these kinds of cases. I was sure Mel was seething when she found out that David gave his permission, making it so we didn't have to get Mel's for this. Ian went to David when he called asking for me or my dad. He wanted to foist the responsibility of Michael on someone willing since he wanted to wipe his hands of all of us. Lucas went with Ian and made David sign over the POA to him. He wanted to make sure Michael couldn't cause problems for Hank or us. 

 

Izzy came flying out of the terminal, leaping at Ian. Their relationship was just as much best friends and brother and sister. Izzy was closer to my father's age but doted on Ian as the baby of the family. Izzy told me that Ian's birth was one of the happiest days of her life, not being an only child in the family. She spent Ian's childhood wanting to make sure their bond was solid and that he knew he was loved and cherished. When Izzy's husband died in a car accident that bond was how she got through losing the man she refused to replace in her life. It's how I wanted my relationship with Jenny and Patrick to be, not just family but one where we all depended on each other to be there when we needed each other.

 

"So, my dreams are shattered, but I brought a gift for Brian anyway," Izzy joked.

 

"What is it with women wanting my dad?" I joked back.

 

"Sweetie, he can't help that we see him as catnip," she laughed, grabbing my arm leading us to the baggage claim. "I dropped off most of my stuff at your apartment. So not to worry, I only brought one bag with me," she said, smirking at how relieved we looked that she didn't pack half her wardrobe. "On a serious note, how is Jenny doing with everything?" She asked me.

 

"She's at the point where she's giving up on Mel and Michael. It's something I wish hadn't happened for her," I answered.

 

"Of course not, but there's nothing we can do to change things unless her parents find a way to fix what they did to her. Regardless of how Ian feels about Mel, she must have done something right since you turned out to be a wonderful person," she said, kissing my cheek.

 

"I had my dad to balance her out. Jenny didn't have that with Michael. I'm just glad she can see him for who he is, and not let him influence her life," I told her.

 

"She had you, and now all of us to help her. I want to be there for things that she needs a woman to help her with. I'd always wanted a sister, so thank you for coming into Ian's life and giving that to me," Izzy told us as if we'd already won.

 

"And another bratty brother," Ian joked.

 

"I'm dying to meet him, from the way you two make him sound he's going to be lots of fun," she told us as we got in the car.

 

"My dad says Patrick is the reason he still keeps a gym membership," I said, laughing.

 

"Then I must thank the boy for the marvelous specimen we get to look at, while I glare at Justin for getting to touch him," she said, laughing while I cringed. "Gus, getting older doesn't change that we still have sex, Ian's an example of that," she said, cringing then giggling.

 

"I'll be sure to thank Mummy and Daddy for giving you a playmate while pretending I was the immaculate conception," Ian told her.

 

"They wanted to come, but they agreed to entertain Tara for now," Izzy told us.

 

"How is my niece?" Ian asked her.

 

"Excited that Brian is marrying one of her favorite artists," she told him.

 

"She's met Justin before hasn't she?" I asked.

 

"A few times, but Justin was always busy at the shows and Tara didn't want to bother him. Apparently, now that he'll be part of the family, she's hoping he won't mind her fangirling on him," she told us. 

 

"He's always willing to be there for anyone," I told her.

 

"Do you still regret everything?" Ian asked.

 

"It's hard to say one way or the other since I'm not sure where I'd be now. I love where I ended up, but seeing the proof of what kind of father Justin is, I regret that I didn't get to have him in my life until now. Yet, it's like we picked up where we left off, and he still loves me the way I remember," I told him.

 

"You just love your children no matter what. It sounds like that's how he feels about you," Izzy told me, as we parked in front of Deb's house.

 

My dad was standing outside talking to Ted and walked Izzy back to the car. I was confused since we were having dinner with Deb tonight.

 

"Where are Justin and Patrick?" I asked.

 

"Daphne called to let him know she was in town with her family. Patrick wanted to go when Daphne asked them to lunch," Dad told me.

 

"Why didn't you go?" I ask.

 

"I was waiting for you and Ian to get back since she wanted to see you," he told me.

 

"What about me?" Izzy joked.

 

"I have a feeling you're about to meet your twin in crime," Dad said, getting into his car.

 

JENNY

 

Mama stopped the car when we got to the doctor's office and yanked my earbuds out of my ear. I knew she only insisted on picking me up because she thought she could say something to change my mind about where I wanted to be. I flinched on purpose, just to hurt her.

 

"Jenny..." She started, only to sit there for a second. "I know things haven't been great, but we can't fix anything if you go in there determined to live with Gus."

 

"I'd live in a cardboard box right now over living with you. It's not about anything but not wanting to be near you right now. You have this part of you that scares me that one day it will turn on me the way you did to Lindsay and Gus," I told her.

 

"You're my daughter and I love you," she told me.

 

"Did you love Gus and Lindsay?" I asked her.

 

"What?" She asked.

 

"Did you love them? Because if you did, what does it say about your love that you willingly hurt them both. I listened to you and Ted talking before I came out. It made me think a lot about the people you didn't like in my life, and the people I ended up dealing with instead," I told her.

 

"Michael had custody, I couldn't deny him his rights," she told me.

 

"You also didn't say a word when he and David treated me like I was an inconvenience to them, only reminding Michael you were giving him what he fought you over. It's like I was your way of punishing Michael for you when he was no longer useful to you anymore. I don't want to be valued for only what I can do for you, because what happens when that changes? It's only two more years before Michael doesn't have to support me, what will be my use to you then?" I asked.

 

"How could you think that of me?" she asked.

 

"It explains why you withdrew any support from Gus. Everything was fine until Gus turned eighteen and Brian sent the support to Gus and not you anymore. You made it sound like Gus was being a traitor to the family by wanting to leave us. Then, instead of getting to know Ian, you condemned the relationship without caring that Gus loves him. Ian's a great guy who loves Gus and never tried to interfere in his relationship with us. Yet you constantly bad mouth him because he got along with Brian, who supported Gus over your edicts. The only time you bothered with Gus after he left was when you needed him for something. It's the way you and Michael operate. Using people for what you want. It's not something I want to be part of my life anymore. I want to be loved for me, and one day find a way for us to have a relationship. Something we can't have right now because you're bitter and unable to love me the way I want you to," I tell her, getting out of the car when she didn't act like anything I said was the truth.

 

I walked into the building, trying not to cry at how hopeless my wishes seemed. I might be angry at her, but she was still my mother. The two lawyers walked me to the doctor's office. I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't like I wanted to go in there and bad mouth my mother, the way she would about everyone else. The doctor smiled as I sat down, then got up from behind her desk and asked the lawyers to sit behind me, since they needed to be in the room while we talked.

 

"Hi Jenny, I'm Dr Ellen Rossi, and we're here to decide whether or not you understand what's going on and how it will affect your life," She told me.

 

"My brother and mother each want custody of me, and I want to live with my brother," I told her.

 

"What makes you want that?" She asked.

 

"I've never questioned why he loves me and he has always looked out for me all my life," I told her.

 

"Do you think living with him will give you the freedom you don't have with your mother?" She asked.

 

"Are you asking if he'll let me run wild and get into trouble?" I asked her.

 

"It's something your mother's lawyer brought up, that the problems with your mother stem from rules you don't want to live with. It was also brought up that Gus could be influencing you to make a decision based on his feelings about your mother," She told me.

 

"Gus doesn't tell me how to feel or expect me to feel the way he does about anything. He also expects me to live my life being the best person I can be. His love for me is unconditional and something I've never doubted in my life. When he lived with my mom and me, he was the one making sure I went to school, meeting my friends, and in general making sure I did what I was supposed to do, instead of what I wanted," I told her.

 

"What about your mother, wasn't she there too?" She asked.

 

"She was, but her career sometimes got in the way and Gus would be there for the things she couldn't," I told her.

 

"Why do you feel it would be better to live with your brother than your mother?" She asked as I turned to look at the lawyers sitting there. "I need you to tell me, not worry about what they hear you say," she told me.

 

"I don't feel my mother has my best interests right now. With Gus and Ian, I'll have stability, and not feel like I'm unlovable," I told her.

 

"In what way do you feel your mother doesn't have your best interests?" She asked.

 

"She didn't think of me when she screwed up her job and caused us to have to leave our home. I don't see my best interest in her wanting to move us to her parent's house, not caring that they've never accepted or approved of me," I told her.

 

"I understand that she's willing to live here, one of the places you were agreeable to," she told me.

 

"She also threatened to move us away from anyone she felt was a bad influence on my life. Apparently, my grandparents and brother who have loved and supported me are the bad influences. My grandmother might be smothering at times, but she taught me that caring about people is a good thing. My brother didn't let me get away with treating someone like crap, but he also made sure I knew it didn't change that he loved me. He isn't doing this because he's angry at our mother but because my happiness means everything to him. I want to live with him because he brings out the best in me," I told her.

 

"Living with your mother changes that, how?" She asked. 

 

I didn't want to say it out loud because I knew Gus would have to hear it and it would hurt him that I felt this way. It's not like I planned to do it, but the thought was there that I just wanted to disappear.

 

"Jenny?"

 

"Sometimes I feel like I'm the reason she's so unhappy. Like she wishes she'd chosen someone else to be my father, which would mean I wouldn't be me. She doesn't get that without the men who fathered Gus and me, we wouldn't exist. If she hadn't chosen Michael, I wouldn't exist and maybe her life would have been better without me," I told her.

 

"Is that how you've felt all your life?" She asked.

 

"I'm not suicidal if that's what you're asking. It's just, the people who made those thoughts go away were my brother and Ian. With them, I feel like I'm special just for being me, not the result of my mother's bad decision in choosing Michael Novotny to be my father. I doubt she even realized how it made me feel because she really is only concerned with her feelings. I don't want to end up hating her, because she wasn't a horrible mother all my life. It's just there's a part of her that doesn't understand that what she does affects me too. She didn't even think about me when she tried to sabotage her client. She didn't think about me when I ended up having to spend time with my father and his husband, who treated me like I should be grateful that they allowed me in their home. I don't trust her motives for wanting me to live with her now," I told her.

 

"Are you worried that what happened at your grandmother's house will happen again?" She asked.

 

"She's never done that before," I told her.

 

"It doesn't change that it happened though, and how it affected you and possibly led to you wanting to live with your brother," She told me.

 

"I want to live with Gus and Ian because they'll do everything they can to make sure I never want to disappear. Right now my mom only cares about winning some imaginary game against Gus' father, as if he's encouraging my brother to want me. I understand that if I live with my brother it will cause problems between my mother and me. It's not something I want, and she'll see it as me being disloyal to her. I also know Gus won't expect me to give up on her until she gives me no choice. Right now I have, but with time and distance maybe she and I can find a way to have a new and better relationship. She needs to figure out why she's so unhappy before I can see us fixing what's broken between us," I told her.

 

Dr Rossi wrote notes while we sat there in silence, she then handed me a test to do while she talked to the lawyers. I finished the test, not sure why she wanted me to do it. I waited until the lawyers left to ask her.

 

"It's just to show you understand basic concepts, but our talk worries me," She told me.

 

"I don't want Gus to know," I told her.

 

"But you understand if he gets custody he needs to know to make sure you get the help you need," She told me.

 

"Does it matter that I want to live with him?" I asked, as my mom opened the door.

 

"It's going to likely be the only thing that really matters. Since I'm agreeing that you're competent," she said as my mom glared at her.

 

"Jenny, let's go, you're staying with me tonight," She told me.

 

My answer was to put my earbuds in and walk by her and head to the car, just happy that my opinion was going to matter.