- Text Size +

 

GUS

 

Ian and I watched as Daphne got up from the table and ran over to my dad when he came in. He let her hug and congratulate him on finally getting Justin to the altar. It told me that Daphne meant a lot to him because my dad didn't let people touch him unless they were family and he could trust them. She let him go and came up to me.

 

"Just know if you need any help I'm here, even if it's just needing a break from the crazy that seems to hover over all of us in Pittsburgh. My son Jude and daughter Bianca need more people to drive crazy," she told me.

 

"MOM!" Bianca yelled, rolling her eyes then resting her head on Justin's shoulder.

 

"Hopefully we won't be here very long, but I'd like to get to know you again. This is Ian, my partner, and his sister Izzy," I told her.

 

"He forgot the dazzling part and that he and Ian are disgustingly in love. So, Brian says we'd have so much in common, and likely give him a few gray hairs. My biggest question at the moment is were you as surprised as we were that Brian's getting married?" Izzy asked her, hooking her arm through Daphne's.

 

"I was more surprised that Brian had to talk Justin into it since Brian has never been the biggest supporter of marriage," Daphne said, teasing my dad.

 

"I didn't see the point in a ceremony that offered nothing but words and wouldn't give Justin the same privileges as a straight couple," Dad told her.

 

 "Now he's just marrying me for the benefits," Justin teased.

 

"At least they're picking a place we can have fun," Patrick said, sitting down.

 

"Hey, I'm Jude, Daphne's son."

 

"Since my mom is only interested in gossiping, I'm Bianca," 

 

"I just came to watch the fireworks that seem to follow Justin and Brian when they try to live their lives the way they want to. Although I think Michael in the loony bin was long overdue and I'm not even sure what to think of this ‘Mel situation'. Like I was telling Justin before you guys got here, it really surprised me this is the Mel I once actually liked," Daphne said, sitting down. 

 

"It didn't surprise me since it's the Mel I've been dealing with since Gus and I got together," Ian told her.

 

"Have you heard anything about the evaluation?" Daphne asked.

 

"Gabriel is coming to see us at Deb's tonight to fill us in. Unless Jenny changes her mind we should be able to get custody even if Mel refuses to go to mediation. It will mean we'll have to take it to court, but if we can convince the mediator Jenny should stay with us until then it gives us time to help Jenny without having Mel upset her more right now," I told them.

 

"I wish we didn't feel like we needed to do this for Jenny," Ian told her.

 

"What she needs sometimes means having to do things you wish you didn't," Daphne told us.

 

"Mel's not willing to listen to anyone right now. Even Ted tried since he's stayed out of all this as much as he could. He told me he didn't think it helped since she thinks this is all about Gus' anger and her feelings about me causing everything to go wrong in her world," Dad commented.

 

"I doubt she's ever really listened unless it's something where she's being told she's right. She probably hates that her enemy is getting the happy ending she couldn't achieve in her own life," Izzy commented.

 

"She still thinks eventually she'll be right about me and Ian since her basis for objecting to us was Dad's relationship with Justin. She tried to convince me Dad only supported Ian and me to piss her off, not because he believed in us," I told them.

 

"I just saw in you two the reason I knew Justin was it for me," Dad told me.

 

"What was that?" Izzy asked.

 

"Gus let go of the walls he surrounded himself with when he was with Ian, the same way I did with Justin. They weren't needed when you knew no matter what happened between you two, that you'd be there for each other and work through it together. It never mattered if we were together or apart we only wanted what was best for the other person, even if we sometimes didn't understand or agree with it. Mel operates with the opposite perspective- that if you leave she will no longer support you," Dad answered, looking at me.

 

"I wanted Ian more than the walls I built to avoid what happened between Mom and Mel. I might not have understood it, but I understood they were miserable together more than happy. It didn't seem worth it until Ian came into my life. It wasn't easy but the idea of living in the wall outweighed Ian in my life," I told them.

 

"It's how I knew Justin and Brian got back together, which Justin tried to avoid telling me. Justin becomes less guarded when he and Brian are together," Daphne told me.

 

"I didn't realize it at the time, but Dad's visits changed when they got back together. I just remember thinking something was different, but I didn't connect it to Justin," I told her.

 

"What do you mean?" Dad asked.

 

"You didn't look like you were having to try so hard to be happy when we did things. It was something I felt even when I didn't want to admit to it when we lived with Michael in the house. You didn't even try to pretend for any of us that what Michael was trying to convince me of would happen," I told him.

 

"I didn't want you to ever think love was something you gave away to just anyone. I couldn't love Michael the way he hoped, and pretending I did would have hurt you later when I could no longer lie to everyone. I told Justin a long time ago, you just can't love someone unless you really do. I wouldn't have waited half our lives if I'd wanted Michael. I didn't wait for longer than it took to get Justin and me back from the hospital before I knew that he was it for me," Dad said, smirking.

 

"Then tried to convince me you weren't interested," Justin commented.

 

"Which only lasted until Justin took your tricks right from under your nose," Daphne added.

 

"Seriously, I don't need to know this about my dads, can we eat?" Patrick commented, shaking his head to get rid of the idea that our dads were a bit wild.

 

"So how are the wedding/birthday plans going?" Jude asked, changing the subject when Daphne looked like she had more sordid details to share.

 

Dad and Justin's blank look had Daphne laughing. "I can see why Jennifer decided to Emmett needed our help. At least this time Justin won't be asking for crazy shit, like flowers from some Chinese mountain."

 

"Brian kept saying whatever I wanted, instead of helping," Justin told us.

 

"Then you both backed out. Let's not do that again," Daphne joked.

 

"Why did you back out?" Izzy asked them.

 

"We felt like we were only doing it to do it, and we were becoming two people we didn't recognize the closer we got to the wedding," Justin told us.

 

"One thing I didn't want to do was cause Justin to give up things by staying with me, which I felt like he was willing to do after Lindsay showed me an article about Justin's show. I gave up what I wanted so Justin had a chance to see where his art could take him, even if it was away from me. I planned to still be in Justin's life, and eventually be where we are now. That didn't change for me," Dad told us.

 

"We just let bullshit get in our way again. It's why we chose to live our lives without having everyone's opinion involved when we got back together. I wanted Brian and me to either get it right or fail because we were the only ones making that decision," Justin told us.

 

"You could have still gotten married before now," Izzy pointed out.

 

"It wouldn't have felt right until we could be honest with Gus. I know Brian felt the same way, it's why now seems perfect to us," Justin commented.

 

"It's always felt like they pretty much were all my life,"  Patrick added, grabbing his lunch from the waitresses platter.

 

DEB

 

Lucas, one of his lawyers, Mark, and I were waiting to see Michael since he needed to understand where he stood. David wasn't going to get out of supporting Michael, but Michael also had to agree to the treatment and stipulations in order to get out of having to fight David tooth and nail in the divorce. Carl also convinced Lucas to put in the divorce decree that if Michael violated any of the stipulations, the big one being any contact with Justin or Brian, the money would revert back to David, in a trust David would have to oversee for the rest of Michael's life. Ted agreed to oversee the account and Lucas would approve as long as Michael followed the rules. I didn't want any part of it. Michael could sink or swim as far as I was concerned. He should approve since it's how he dealt with Jenny's life.

 

Michael wasn't pleased when he saw Lucas sitting with me. He sat down, crossing his arms with the normal petulant look he gave to show he wasn't happy and that he expected me to fix it for him. Dr Banes came in and sat with Michael since we didn't want him to say he didn't understand what he was signing.

 

"Why is he my POA? He's never made any secret of the fact that he hates my guts and thinks I come from trash," Michael said, trying to pit me against Lucas.

 

"He's the reason David isn't going to fight you on the divorce," I told him.

 

"So, David's going to have to keep supporting me then?" Michael smirked.

 

"He married you, so he deals with the stupidity of that decision," Lucas told him.

 

"I bet that just pisses you off. The Cameron money going to me," Michael told him.

 

"The money David made while married to you does, but the money from his trust doesn't belong to him, so you'll just have to be happy with the money my son rightfully made. Before you rub your hands in glee, there are things that come with your agreement to the divorce settlement, and you can hire a lawyer, at your own expense, to look over the paperwork before you agree," Mark told him.

 

"And if I don't agree?" Michael asked.

 

"Then you and David can battle it out on your own, and you wait possibly a year to two years before you either win or lose to David's lawyers versus a lawyer of your choosing. You agree to this and the divorce just becomes paperwork and you and David are done sooner. We can leave the paperwork with you to go over with a lawyer if that's how you want to proceed," Mark told him.

 

"What do I get if I agree to this? And is he going to give me the house?" Michael asked.

 

"I'm Mark Woods and will be answering the legal questions in the agreement David is offering. The house is still under a sizable mortgage, and he'd like to get out of it by selling the house. In this market it's likely the sale won't be profitable. If you want the house, you'll have to buy him out of his part and refinance the mortgage on your own. Which, according to your finances, even with David paying you spousal support wouldn't be easy to get approval for since the support he will be giving you is less than he would have been required to pay if he hadn't lost his job and the lucrative partnership he was hoping for, because what you did changed his financial situation," Mark told him.

 

"Why don't I get the money in his trust?" Michael asked.

 

"The trust is controlled by Lucas, and until it's released to David it belongs to Lucas, not David. This is not payable to David until Lucas is gone, a stipulation his mother put on the trust before she died. If you and David stayed married until Lucas' death then you would have been entitled to it," Mark told him.

 

"So, either I agree and get what David owes me now or I have to fight him and deal with the same bullshit he pulled on his wife?" Michael asked.

 

"If you decide against what Lucas got David to agree to, then yes. If you'd like to call a lawyer to go over this agreement we can set up a time to talk and iron out any issues you feel aren't in your best interest," Mark told him.

 

"What happens if I don't like any of it?" Michael asked Lucas.

 

"You will have to hope David doesn't have a better lawyer than you, and I'll wash my hands of everything I convinced him to do for you. I would suggest you take Mark's advice since I don't feel you deserve anything at all," Lucas announced, sounding superior.

 

"You'd like that, wouldn't you? You think you're all better than me," Michael told him.

 

"No, what I actually thought was you and David were too busy trying to be something you never were to each other and to other people. David was looking for someone to cater to his needs and be as morally bankrupt as he was. You wanted the trappings of money in hopes of making everyone see you like someone you wish you were, instead of wanting to work to achieve it on your own. In essence, you're lazy and bring no value to the world around you, that's what I didn't like about you. I made the mistake of thinking your upbringing was responsible for it, but since getting to know your mother, that changed. She worked hard all her life, gave back when she could with what she could. She and I made the same mistake as parents, we pampered our sons to the point neither of you believes what you do is your fault. I won't clean up David's messes for him like I once did with his wife. But in turn, I'm also going to make sure you deal with your issues and hopefully become something your mother doesn't blame herself for. It's why I agreed to be your POA until such time as your doctors feel you're competent to make your own decisions, which right now Dr Banes isn't willing to say," Lucas told him.

 

"So if I sign this, and Dr Banes says I'm good, it's mine to do with what I want?" Michael asked Mark.

 

"Yes. But as I suggested, you should hire someone to outline it for you. Once you sign it, with or without counsel, you live by it, or David will be the one you deal with," Mark warned.

 

"It would be a good idea to do what he's suggesting," Dr Banes told Michael, reading the agreement.

 

"All I care about is ending the farce David talked me into, which this will do, right?"  Michael asked Dr Banes.

 

"Yes. But there are stipulations that include Lucas taking over as your POA until such time where I agree your decisions are healthy," Dr Banes tells him.

 

MICHAEL

 

I kept thinking about what Mel said, and knowing right now I couldn't afford anyone that David could. If I signed that paperwork, David would be gone, and I wouldn't have to do anything but put up with Lucas until Dr Banes agreed with me that there was nothing wrong with me. 

 

"I have a question first," I said, wanting to make sure Lucas unknowingly helped me. "Since Lucas is my POA, does that include decisions regarding Jenny?"

 

"It's something he can weigh in on, for you, but in the end, the decision will be made by the court," Mark told me.

 

"My opinion should count and Jenny needs me to support what she wants right now," I told Lucas.

 

"I agree that Jenny's best interest is living with her brother," Lucas told me.

 

"Michael, living with Gus doesn't mean she'll want to see or talk to you. She's been hurt by both you and Mel right now," Ma told me.

 

"Which I'm trying to fix since David stopped me from doing all the things I wanted for her. I just want to make sure Lucas sees it my way. If it had been up to me, Jenny wouldn't have had to deal with Mel, but instead, my daughter is miserable. If Gus can help then I want her to live with him and we can work together to help Jenny," I told her.

 

"In this agreement, Lucas would be the contact for Gus," Mark told him.

 

"Of course. But eventually, he won't need to be since I plan to do everything I need to get control of my life," I told him, wanting to laugh that they really thought it would take me long to convince Dr Banes there was nothing wrong with being in love.

 

"Shall we make an appointment for later, after you've had time to read this over?" Mark said, pushing the folder towards me.

 

"I'd rather be done with David, even if it means putting up with Lucas," I told him, flipping through the pages to the ones marked for my signature.

 

"The first one is saying you agree to Lucas as your POA," Mark said, as I signed it.

 

"Whatever. I don't need you to do anything but watch, without comment," I said snidely.

 

"Are you sure you don't want to go over what your signing?" Mark asked again.

 

"Does it get David out of my life?" I asked him.

 

"Once the paperwork is signed and filed," Mark answered.

 

I kept signing. If the guy didn't like it, then it must mean he thought David could screw me if I didn't. I stopped before the last page, looking at Ma. She didn't look upset or try to stop me, so I signed the last page, handing the folder back to Mark.

 

"When do I get some money?" I asked him.

 

"Once everything is filed and Jenny's child support is set up, we then have to set up paying for your stay here, since you will no longer be covered through David's insurance. After that, you can contact Mark who will contact me to approve of your purchases," Lucas told me.

 

"Why do you have to approve? And why are you setting up Jenny's child support with my money?" I asked.

 

"Because Michael, you agreed to it when you signed willy nilly without letting Mark explain it to you or Dr Banes trying to tell you to actually read it," Ma told me, before leaving.

 

"If you want to change your mind, tear it up and take your chances with my son. As to your question about supporting your daughter- because it's your obligation now, as it's always been, even when you let David do it for you," Lucas told me, holding out the paperwork to me. 

 

"Just file the shit and be ready for my request," I told him.

 

"Just don't bankrupt yourself buying toys," Lucas said, handing the file to Mark before they finally left.

 

IAN

 

Gus and I followed Gabriel outside. Both of us were worried about Jenny staying with Mel tonight, but she was texting us to let us know she was okay. She texted me, saying not to get upset by what Gabriel might tell us. 

 

"We need to talk about the appointment. Jenny said some disturbing things," Gabriel tells us.

 

"What?" Gus asked, gripping my hand.

 

"That she sometimes thinks she's the reason everything went bad and that it would be better if she didn't exist. She then qualified it by telling the doctor she wasn't suicidal," Gabriel told us.

 

"She never told me," Gus told me.

 

"We both knew there would be issues, and we'll help her deal with them. We need to let her tell us on her own what led to her feeling that way," I told him.

 

"It would also help to make sure the mediator knows there is a plan in place to help Jenny when she lives with you," Gabriel told us.

 

"I have a friend who specializes in teens and depression. I'll call him and set up an appointment. If Jenny ends up staying with Mel, I'll find someone here for Jenny," I told him.

 

"I plan to file an emergency placement with you and Ian if Mel refuses to attend mediation. We're lucky since the report Dr Rossi sent before I got here stated that she felt staying with Mel right now wouldn't be in Jenny's best interest. She also said Jenny wasn't basing her want to live with you and Gus on teenage rebellion but on the need for love and acceptance that Jenny strongly believes you and Gus give her. Jenny did really well conveying her convictions without it sounding like a teenager mad at her mother's rules," Gabriel told us.

 

"I'll get you the information tonight on a doctor here and one in New York," I told him.

 

"I'll do what everyone praises me for and make it so you only need the one in New York," Gabriel told us, leaving me with the doctor's notes.