- Text Size +

Chapter 10 


Brian and Justin got comfortable in their seats They belted themselves in and sat holding hands and dozing until they were in the air and had the all clear.  Brian stood and tugged for Justin to follow him. They sat on the sofa at the back of the plane and Brian started laying him down.


“No, none of that until you tell me what is going on with Gus.”


“Well, there really isn’t anything going on, Sunshine.”


“Something obviously is and it sounds like it has to do with the lighthouse.”


Brian turned and looked at Justin, “Promise me you will listen to everything before you form an opinion and remember I didn’t know anything about this until after the fact.”


“Now you are making me really anxious and not in a good way. Spill it.”


“We both know how much Shelby and Gus love each other.  There is no question about it and they have made a commitment to each other, right?”


“Yes, that is very obvious watching them.” Justin said as he stretched his legs and adjusted himself in his seat.


“We both know the one thing we worried about when Gus chose Shelby,” Brian reached out and touched Justin’s cheek.


“Well, you were sure he made the wrong decision.” 


“I will admit I was wrong about that part but Shelby recognizes Gus has other urges so when Gus went up to the lighthouse, Shelby gave him a free pass.”


Justin looked at him blankly for a moment, “A free pass?” he hesitated, “You mean she told him to pick up…”


“Gus went to a bar and spent the night with some guy.”  Brian reached for Justin but he moved backwards.


“What the hell was he thinking?  He has a beautiful wife and daughter.”


“He has a wife who wants him happy and if she can’t do that…”


“NO! I know we have both messed up but we didn’t give each other permission to go screw around.  Did you know he was feeling like this?”


“He may have mentioned something a couple times but it’s not like I knew….he wouldn’t have done it without Shelby’s permission.” Brian watched Justin stand up and start to pace.


“How did I not know this was going on?  Why didn’t you tell me?”


“You were busy getting ready for the tour and Gus didn’t want to concern you.  He wasn’t going to do anything about his feelings.”


“So our son was just going to ignore his feelings? And you didn’t tell me?”


“What should I have said, Oh by the way Gus misses fucking men but he loves his wife? I don’t see ….”


“That tends to be your problem.  You don’t see how I should have known this.  I could have talked to him. Maybe I could have helped him think it through.”


“Well, Shelby helped him take care…”


“Fucking a guy once is not helping Gus.  It might have been a temporary release but did you think of trying to have him find someone to talk to?  Did you suggest he call Becca? Or Blake? Of course you didn’t because you think with your dick when it comes to this kind of thing.”


“You don’t seem to mind that most of the time.” Now Brian was getting angry.


“I am going to bed.  Don’t even think about following me in there.”



It was a long flight.  Justin stayed in the bedroom on the plane until he was required to belt in. They were landing in Portugal to refuel.  Brian hoped he would sit next to him but he continued to walk to the front row on the other side of the plane and buckled in.   The pilot said this would be a short stop so he suggested they stay on the plane. 


Brian couldn’t stop himself.  As soon as the plane had landed he moved up and sat across the aisle from Justin. “Sunshine, I really didn’t…”


Justin put his ear buds in and closed his eyes.


Brian reached across and took Justin’s hand but he ripped it away.  


“Fine,” he put his hand in his lap.  “Can you at least tell me what our schedule is for the rest of the tour?”  Justin pushed some buttons on his phone and Brian’s buzzed. Brian looked at his screen and saw an attachment  he figured was the schedule. It also said, ‘Get yourself a hotel room. Hell if you are sleeping in my suite.’


“Come on, Sunshine.  This is stupid. If you don’t want to sleep with me, fine, but there would be another bed or sofa for me to sleep on.”


“I don’t want you near me.  How could you not tell me our son…”


“Our son is a grown man who made his own decisions with his wife’s permission,” Brian dropped to his knees in front of Justin.  He took Justin’s hands in his own. Softly he said, “I love you, Sunshine. If I didn’t tell you right away it was because I didn’t want you to worry.  You know I would…” Brian moved closer and began to slide a hand between Justin’s legs.


Justin glared at Brian, “Move your hand.”


“That’s what I am doing, Sunshine.”


Justin stood up fast enough Brian fell backward.  “As soon as this plane lands in Greece, stay the hell away from me.  In fact, why don’t you just fly home!”


“Justin,” Brian stood up, “Damn,” he said as he rubbed his knee.  “Sunshine, you know when you are on tour you need someone nearby. Think about it.  I will lay low if you want me to but,” he started reaching for him but stopped himself. “Don’t make me go home without you,” he said very softly.


There was a long silence. “Just stay out of my way and stay away from me.”


“You are blowing this way out of proportion, Justin.”


“Leave me alone or just LEAVE.”


That was when Brian realized it.  Justin’s eyes looked funny. Was he really drunk or was it something more?  If he wasn’t mistaken, Justin had found something.There was usually some painkiller in the bedroom.  If he wasn’t mistaken, Justin must have at least doubled the recommended amount.


They both strapped back in seats and the plane continued its journey. This was the beginning of the silence.  The next two weeks the only time Justin would talk to Brian was to give him orders and most of those were done through texts.  Most nights Justin found someone at the show to show him a good place to go for some fun. Brian would follow at a distance and help him back to the hotel each night where he would put him to bed.  After he passed out, Brian would kiss him goodnight and go to his own room.



Brinn had gone back to school and was working harder than ever to get done with her semester by Thanksgiving.  Gus and Shelby arrived back home and Gus continued working with Kam everyday while Shelby started teaching Danny on a daily basis.  


Dan contacted his investigators regularly as they looked for Danny’s family.  By late October, Dan’s employee had narrowed it down and was sure he had found Danny’s parents. Now he had to make contact with them and see what their response was.  He would make a soft contact first. He would call Teri and Don Jacobs and ask about their missing son and then he would tell Marcus he’d found them and they would decide what to do.


“Hello,” a female voice came on the line.


“Is this Teri Jacobs?” Dan asked with a professional tone to his voice.


“Who may I ask is calling?


“This is Dan Reed.  I run a security business and it has come to my attention that you are looking for your son, Danny.”


“Have you found him?” her voice was wary. “Who did you say you were?”


“Dan Reed. My agency helps out local police in cases when they have had no success.  We may have a lead on him. I just wanted to get some information directly from you.   How old is Danny? I have seen a couple ages.”


“He left on his 14th birthday. That might be why you heard different ages.” Dan heard a note of sadness but not nearly as much as he would expect.


“And the reason he left home?”


“Mr. Reed, would you be able to call back when my husband is home.  I am expecting him any minute. He is with our other son at a football game.”


“Well it is good you aren’t just sitting home waiting for him.” Dan caught himself and softened his tone. “Of course, you have to keep life as normal as you can for your other children.”


“We stayed home a lot at first but it has been more than two months now but may I call you back after my husband arrives.  He will want to hear anything you have heard.”


“That would be fine.  Would you mind sending a recent picture of your son? Then I can compare it to the picture I was sent.  I don’t want to get your hopes up if it is a different boy. Oh, and does he have any scars or birthmarks?”


“Danny got stitches on his upper thigh when he was 11.  He fell playing in the backyard. And I will send a photo.”


“Thank you and I will be waiting for your call,”  Dan replied as the phone went dead. Dan’s phone beeped and he looked at it.  So, nice to meet you, Danny Jacobs. He said looking at his phone. He called Marcus.


“Hello Darling, to what do I owe the pleasure? I didn’t expect a call from you this afternoon.”


“Well, I can hang up or I can talk about how fine your ass was last night when I slid into it.”


“God, it was good….” Marcus’ hand rubbed his crotch, “now as much as I like talking dirty to my husband in the middle of the day, what’s up?”


“Look at the picture I just sent you.”


Marcus looked at the screen. “Danny!  I don’t recognize ...”


“I got that from his mom today.”


“Oh, Dan, I can’t give him up.”


“Red, he isn’t yours to give.  We’ve had this conversation.” Dan hesitated and softened his voice, “Red, his parents are supposed to call me back as soon as his dad arrives home. I will talk to them and get a feel for what has gone on in that house. But, Red, if he has been taking us as fools, he has to go home.”


“Oh, Dan….”


“I know, Red. We’ll talk tonight.  Marcus, I love you.”


“I love you, too, Dan. Call me after you talk to them?”


“I will, Red.”


It was about an hour later when the Jacobs called him back.  This time it was a male voice on the line. “Mr. Reed, you spoke to my wife about Danny.”


“Mr. Jacobs, thank for calling me back.”


“So what is it?  You want us to pay you for your information?”


“Oh, no sir, that isn’t how I do business.  When I get paid, I get paid well but I do a lot of cases like this.  I help local police follow up the clues they have.”


“What do you get out of it?”  Don Jacobs asked with reservation in his voice.


“I get to help families reunite and I get to add the case to my resume.  Mr. Jacobs, to be honest, I don’t need money.”


“What is it you are wanting to know?” Dan heard something in the background, “I put you on speaker phone so my wife could hear you, too.”


“I have tracked your son to the west coast.  It usually helps if I have a personal touch to talk to the runaway about when I find them.  Can you tell me some of the good qualities your son has or about something he really enjoys?”


The pause was too long for Dan’s liking. “Danny’s not your typical 14 year old.  He doesn’t have friends. He spends most of his time at home with his little sister.”


“I understand working families need older children to watch younger siblings.  Is that why Danny was at home?”


This time it was Teri responding, “That was part of it but Danny just liked to do things like cook and he really liked spending time with Katie. That’s his younger sister.  Danny wasn’t an athletic boy like our older son.”


“Teri, just say it, Danny was a fairy.  I’m sorry, the term is gay isn’t it. I have nothing against those kind of people but I don’t have any idea how to handle someone like that. I hope our son is safe.  We love him but I hope he has found some place he is happy.”


“Please, Mr. Reed, we love our children.  We do and of course we want him back….”


“If your son is the boy I suspect, he is well taken care of.”  Dan responded, not liking this conversation.


Now Don’s tone changed. It had an edge to it, “But a kid belongs with his parents.  Maybe I was a little hard on him but we are his family. Our friends and family keep asking about him. He shouldn’t have just left. We had no idea he was that unhappy.”


“I mean, what do we tell people?” Teri’s voice was a little whiny now. “What kind of parents do they think we are?”


Dan had to get off the phone before he screamed at these people.  “I have an appointment, I need to go to. Thank you for your time.  I will speak to you soon. You have my number if you think of anything you would like me to say to your son if I find him.” Dan paused giving them a chance to say something but when nothing was said he hung up.  



Shelby’s phone rang and she saw it was Dan. “Hey, what’s up?”


“Shelby, I have a favor to ask. Can Danny stay at your place until dinner?”  


“Sure, Dan.  Is something wrong?”


“I just need some time alone with Marcus.”


“Having some trouble with alone time, are you?” Shelby said with a suggestive tone.


“You really are a Kinney,” he laughed. “I will always take time with Red but that’s not it,”  We have some things …. is Danny near you?”


“He is raiding my fridge while I am feeding Taylor so no, he isn’t next to me.”


“You better charge us for his food intake,” Dan continued.  “I have found his parents and I need time to discuss a few things with Marcus.  Can we pick him up about 5:30 or 6:00? Tell him we are going out to dinner in town.”


“Am I going to be out of a job soon?” she said quietly.


“I’ll text when we are on our way. Thanks, Shelby.”


“Take your time.  I will let him make us dinner.”


Next Dan called Marcus.  “Two calls in one day. Is it bad news?”


“Red, can you come home?  We need to talk.”


“Dan, don’t tell me you found his parents.”


“Let’s just talk here.  Shelby is going to keep Danny there until we pick him up and I said we would go out for pizza or something.”


“I can leave within the next half hour.  I am waiting for someone to bring me a key but they are on their way. Darling, are you going to break my heart?”


“That’s not fair, Marcus.”


“I’m sorry. You’re right.  I’ll be there soon.”


Molly walked into Marcus’ office with Paul in the stroller and Jenna in a sling.  “Hey, Marcus, thanks for letting me go get some measurements. Brenda had an appointment so I had to get the kids before coming her.  Paul likes the walk anyway.”


Marcus kneeled by Paul and he gave him a high five.  He then walked over and kissed Jenna’s little head. “Your kids are so beautiful.”


“They are, aren’t they,” Molly smiled at him.  “How is the boy staying with you? Is he going to be permanent?”


“I wish he would ….. Dan found his parents.  I’m going home now so we can talk about it. I probably should have told you but I am sure Tyler knows about it.  Just keep it quiet, ok?”


“Of course, Marcus.  I hope it turns out best for all of you.  You know I am sure you could adopt or get a surrogate.”


“Dan would never go for that.  He hasn’t changed his mind about being a parent.” He kissed the top of Jenna’s head once more and ruffled Paul’s hair.  “Well, I hate to rush you but…”


“We’re out of here.  Time to feed the little one anyway.”  Marcus walked Molly out, shut off the lights and locked the door.


“Are you ready to take possession of the house this weekend?”


“I can’t wait!  Gus met me there today and we made final adjustments to the floor plans and we should be able to move in by Christmas.  At least it will be livable by then and then Brenda can have our place. I am not going to hold you up anymore. Thanks again for letting me have the key for a couple hours.”


Marcus worried the whole way home.  What if Dan was going to tell him Danny had to go home?  When he pulled up to the office next to the house, he sat behind the wheel.  After a couple minutes. Dan strode out of the building and walked to the car. After opening the door, he extended a hand to Marcus who took it and stepped out. Dan’s arms went around him and brought him in close. “Oh, Red…”


Marcus held on to Dan tightly, “I knew this day would probably come but I love him so much.  What are his parents like? Are they devastated?”


“Let’s go to the house and have a glass of wine while we talk. Then we can pick up Danny.” Dan took his hand and led him to the house.  He turned on the gas fireplace and poured them each a glass. He then sat down and took Marcus in his arms. “I could use a kiss before we talk.” Dan ran his fingers into Marcus’ hair and guided his head down to his mouth. He sighed as Marcus’ lips parted to accept his tongue. When their mouths separated Dan reached for the glasses of wine and they took a sip.


“Darling, please don’t drag this out any longer.  What is Danny’s name? How old is he?”


“His name is Danny Jacobs. He turned 14 the day he ran away. His parents are Teri and Don.”


“Dan, what are they like? You read people well.”


“I think they are decent people but they are clueless about a son who is gay.  I think they love him but at the same time they are ashamed of him.”


“You can’t be ashamed of someone you love,” Marcus said.  “You know that from experience.”


“Except mine never acted like they loved me.”


“I’m sorry this is stirring up a lot of bad memories for you.  What’s our next move?”


“Well, I think I need to go meet them.  Maybe you and Danny can fly out with me and we can make it a fun weekend.”


“Where are they?”


“They live in Missouri.  We would fly into Kansas City.  You could find something to do there while I visit his parents.  Then we will do a supervised meeting with them. We won’t leave him with them unless Danny gives the Ok.  If he doesn’t we will take steps to see what we can do to get them back together.”


“But I don’t want them to get back together,” Marcus laid his head on Dan’s shoulder.  “Dan, I want him to be ours.”


“Marcus,  I told you not to get attached.” He stroked his cheek, “Danny’s parents have every right to insist on keeping him but I don’t plan to make that easy for them if I see anything I don’t like.”  


Marcus drained his glass, “What time do we need to pick up Danny?”


Dan kissed him and pushed him back on the sofa. “Marcus, I promise you I will do everything in my power to make sure he …”


“I don’t want to think about it now.  It will hurt too much.”


“I’m sorry, Red. You know I have to bring the boy back to his family.  It is my business, my reputation.” Dan’s hand moved down to Marcus’ fly and unzipped it.


“I love you, Dan, but I can’t do this.  I can’t let you take him.” Marcus pushed Dan off.  “I just can’t let him go.” Marcus ran upstairs and grabbed a bag out of the closet.  He started throwing clothes into it and then he started toward Danny’s room but Dan stopped him. 


“Red, what are you doing?”


“I am taking my son somewhere and I will NOT let you take him. Now get out of my way.”


Dan looked at his face and stepped out of the way.  Marcus spent a few minutes in Danny’s room and came out with a second bag.  “If we are not in YOUR house, you're not harboring anyone.” Marcus stopped and kissed him. “I will be nearby but we can’t be together right now. I won’t let you send him back.”


“Red, where are you going?” Dan said softly. 


“I figure Jusitn and Brian won’t care if I use their house. I’m sorry Dan.  I love you.”


“Marcus, this isn’t solving anything.”  Marcus walked out the door, as the it shut Dan said, “Damn it, Marcus.  I love you.”



When Gus arrived home he was surprised to see Danny was still there.  “Hey, Danny, nice to see you. Is my wife making you stay after school today?” Gus kissed his wife and daughter.


“Dan and Marcus are taking him out to dinner and should be picking him up anytime now.  Besides that, Danny is a great cook and helped me make meatloaf and mashed potatoes.”


“Ummmm, that sounds great.  Do I have time to take a shower?” Gus kissed Shelby again.


“Keep that up and I will make Danny babysit and join you.” Shelby ran her hand across Gus’ ass.


Gus moved past her, “I’ll be down in a few minutes.” He turned to Danny.  “Hope you enjoy dinner, Danny.”


As Gus disappeared into their bedroom, Shelby noticed the look on Danny’s face. She draped her arm around his shoulder.  “He is great looking, isn’t he?”


“Ya, you are so lucky? I would give anything to kiss a guy that looked like that.”


“Have you ever kissed a guy?”  Shelby asked.


Danny blushed, “Not really.  I mean I when I was on the street I...well.”


“It’s ok, Danny.  Let me say it like this, “Have you ever had a boyfriend?”


Danny shook his head.  


“You will, Danny. Don’t worry.”


There was a knock on the door.  Shelby saw Marcus and waved him in.   “Looks like your ride is here. Hey, Marcus.”


“Where are we going for dinner?  I’m starving.” Danny said as he impulsively hugged Marcus.  Marcus wrapped his arms around him and held on to him for a second.  


“You can choose where we eat.  Can you wait for me in the car?  I’ll be there in a couple minutes.”


By now Shelby could tell something was going on by Marcus’ face.  As soon as Danny had shut the door she walked to him, “Marcus, what’s wrong?”


“Do you think Brian and Justin would mind if we used their house for a couple days?”


“What’s wrong with your house, Marcus?”  Gus had come out of the bedroom in a pair of jeans and came down the steps.


“Oh, nothing is wrong with the house, Gus.  Dan isn’t here. He won’t be staying at your dads’ place.”


“Of course you can use their house but do you want to talk about it?  You can have dinner here.”


“I need to get out to Danny.  The only thing going on with Dan and me has to do with Danny.  We aren’t really fighting but right now Danny can’t live in the same house as Dan because of his ethical responsibility so….”


Shelby walked over and hugged Marcus.  “Go ahead and know we’re here if you need to talk.  Danny is very lucky to have you in his life.” She got a key off a peg and kissed his cheek when she handed it to him.  “Oh, there isn’t much food at the house.”


“We’ll pick up a few basics after we eat.  I need to figure out how to tell him what’s going on.” Marcus shut the door behind him.


“Poor guy,” Gus said.  “I’ll give Dan a call later and see how he’s doing. Better yet, I’ll have Pops call him.  By the way, I think I am lucky Marcus is gay. I think you’d go for him if he wasn’t.” He pulled her into his arms.


“Well, Gus Kinney, are you jealous? You have seen me with another man before.”


“Yes, and when I realized how much I hated seeing him touch you was when I knew I was in love with you. You are all mine.” He put his hands on her hips and helped her onto the island, kissing her as she sat there.


She spread her knees so he could stand between them. “And I always will be.  I put all the food in a warm oven. I am sure,” she kissed one of his cheeks, “it will be fine,” she kissed the other cheek as her hands went down to the waistband of his jeans, “for half an hour.


At that moment Gus was glad he went for the extra large island as he yanked down her pants and let his own fall on the floor as he climbed on top of her.  



“So where are we going for dinner?” Marcus asked Danny as he got into the car.


“Isn’t Dan coming with us?”


“No, he is involved in a case.” Marcus refused to look Danny’s direction.


“What are the bags in the back seat?”  Danny asked him warily.


“Where are we eating? We’ll talk then.”


“Burgers are fine.  I really don’t care.” Danny had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. “I’m not very hungry all the sudden.”


Marcus took his hand, “Danny, there isn’t anything for you to worry about,” but as he said it Marcus felt like he was lying to him.  “How about we stop at the grocery store and just pick up a frozen pizza and then we can talk while it is in the oven.”


“Where will we be eating this pizza?”


“We are going to be staying at the main house at the vineyard for a few days.” Marcus saw Danny open his mouth out of the corner of his eye, “Danny, can we please wait until we are at the house to talk about this?” Danny shut his mouth and gently squeezed Marcus hand.  “So what did you study with Shelby today?”



They arrived home an hour later with several bags of groceries.  Marcus had forgotten his worries for a while watching Danny in the grocery store.  He really loved cooking and it was obvious he was very knowledgeable on the topic.  They had ended up buying pizza dough and toppings. As Marcus put away groceries into the cupboards and fridge, Danny turned on the oven and assembled the pie.  


Once it was in the oven he looked at Marcus.  “Should I put my bag somewhere?”


“Why don’t you take the spare room.  It is the last one on the right. I will be in the one right next to you.  I’ll show you.” Marcus opened the door to Brinn’s room where he figured he could sleep.  “I’ll sleep here and you can be in the next one.”


“Whose house is this?”


“Gus’ dads live here but they are in Europe until Thanksgiving.”


“One of them is an artist, right?”


“Yes, Justin is an amazing artist, well, amazing man in general.  You may have seen some of his work. I think there several prints of his work up in your room.”  Marcus led him into the room Danny would be using. Hanging on the walls was the series Justin did on sexuality.  There were 8 framed prints of Brian with him. “This series was being shown when Justin and Brian were kidnapped along with Gus and Brinn.”


Marcus had a feeling that Danny hadn’t heard that.  He was staring at the first print and then moved on. “This one is Gus’ real dad, right?”  He pointed to Brian. 


“Well, trust me they are both his dads but I know what you mean.  Yes, that is his biological dad.” Marcus noticed Danny adjusting his jeans as he moved from one picture to the next.  “They are both very attractive aren’t they.”


“Do they really look that good?”


“Oh, trust me, they are both very good looking.  They both have a touch of gray, especially in their beards but… Yes, they are both gorgeous.”  Marcus had to smile at Danny’s reaction, “Let’s go check the pizza. You can enjoy these pictures all night if you like.”  He walked over to the nightstand and saw the tube of lube he had expected to find. He pulled it out and set in on the table without a comment when he noticed Danny blush.


Once they sat at the kitchen bar with the pizza between them, Danny looked at Marcus, “Are you going to tell me what’s going on now?”


“Dan has found your family, no thanks to you,” Marcus smiled slightly.


Danny’s back straightened, “Do I have to go back? I don’t want to go back.  I can finally be me when I am with you and Dan but he wants me to go back doesn’t he?” A tear escaped Danny’s right eye.


Marcus reached out and Danny fell into his arms.  “Oh, Danny, he wants what’s best for you but he has an ethical code he must follow. That’s why we are here.  If you were living in the same house as him, he would have to take you right away.”


“And you left your husband for me?” Danny looked up into Marcus’ face.


“Danny, I didn’t leave him and he knows that.  Well, I left him but he knows where we are. I am hoping he will visit from time to time and if he does, I hope you won’t mind making yourself scarce.”


“With the pictures I have in my room, I am sure I could find something …. I can’t believe I just insinuated I was going to masterbate.”


“That is just natural, Danny, and if I am in that room for long I would...and I have seen them both naked.”


Danny’s mouth dropped open.


“We are all adults. Maybe when you are a little older I will tell you a few things.  Right now I don’t want to say anything to you that could turn around and bite me in the ass.”


“Marcus, those pictures in the bedroom, do people really do everything I think I saw in those pictures?”


Marcus reached out and brushed Danny’s hair off his forehead.  “Danny, those two love each other more and know each other better than any two people I have ever met.  They have been together since Justin was a senior in high school. Dan I love each other as much as they do but we have only known each other for a year. I haven’t looked at those pictures in a while but I think we have done everything in them.”  He looked at Danny’s worried look, “Don’t worry, Danny. If you find someone to be with, no, when you find someone you will do what you are comfortable with. That kind of familiarity shouldn’t feel right with everyone. Now enough seriousness. Eat. Your pizza is cold.”


“Marcus,” Danny’s head drooped.  “I sorry I am causing so much trouble.  Really if you want to just bring me to a highway, I’ll move on.”


“Danny, if I wanted to get rid of you I would let Dan take you back to Kansas City. Now, Eat!”


As they ate the pizza, Marcus noticed a smile play on Danny’s lips.  When they finished, Danny started cleaning up the kitchen. Marcus came around the counter to help.  


“Marcus, go call Dan.  It will only take me a few minutes to clean up.”


“Are you sure?”


“I’m almost done.”


“Thanks, Danny.  Don’t worry. Dan and I will be fine.”


As he walked away, Danny said, “Marcus,” Marcus stopped and looked at him, “I love you.”


Marcus had to fight back tears, “I love you, too, Danny.  If you need me just knock on the door. I will see you in the morning.”


Marcus called Dan.  He wasn’t sure what Dan’s response was to him leaving. He really did it for him. Well, for both of his Dans.  


“Hey,” Dan answered in a tone that sounded irritated.


“How mad at me are you?”


“Damn, Red, I don’t want you over there.  I want you here in my bed, our bed.”


“Are you going to Missouri to check out his parents?”


“Yes, but I just don’t know…. I’m shaky ground here.  If I tell them he is here, I am going to have to bring him back if they want him back.”


“Darling, can we get a lawyer? Do you know Missouri law?”


“I’m looking into that.  I have a call in to a lady who specializes in similar cases.  I hope she will call tomorrow. Red, I still think he would be better off with his parents.  I mean they are his family.”


“He told me he loved me tonight, as he volunteered to clean the kitchen.  Dan, he is so grateful for everything.”


“I miss you already.”


“Come visit for an hour.  An hour won’t hurt.”


“Damn, Red, you don’t know how hard I am already but no, I can’t.  I need to be able to talk to the attorney and honestly say I know where he is and that he is safe and that if the parent interviews come out positive that we will work at getting him back home with his parents.”


“Dan, please, I can’t imagine losing him.”


“Marcus, I told you not to get attached. If it takes counselling I will pay for it.  I won’t let him hang, I promise.”


“Come give me a goodnight kiss?”


“Oh, Red… give me fifteen minutes but I will not come in.”


Marcus tapped on Danny’s door.  “Danny, can I come in?”


He heard some shuffling, “Ya, come in.”  Danny sat on the edge of the bed with his bag on his lap.


Marcus looked at each of the prints, “Yes, these men do know what they are doing.” He glanced at the one where Brian was rimming Justin’s perfect ass.  “I am guessing this is the one that makes you nervous?”


Danny nodded.  “I just can’t imagine….”


“Danny, once someone does it to you, you will want to give the same pleasure to someone you care about but there is no rush with any of this.”  He heard a horn beep. “That is Dan. I will be right outside for a few minutes if you need anything.” Marcus chuckled at the look on Danny’s voice. “You might want to finish that before it hurts worse.”  Dan flushed but the second Marcus shut the door he threw the bag to the side and continued stroking himself.


Marcus grabbed a jacket and when he got near the SUV he realized Dan was sitting in the back seat.  He walked around to the side Dan was sitting on and got in, moving his long legs so he could sit facing Dan.  Dan was almost brutal in his kiss. Marcus began to rock his pelvis against Dan’s, causing Dan to kiss Marcus harder.


Finally, Marcus pushed against Dan’s shoulders, “God, I love you.  I love you so much but I can’t give up on that kid. He loves us, Dan.  He needs us.”


“I’m flying out tomorrow, early.  I have an appointment with the attorney early in the afternoon and with his parents tomorrow evening. I will call you in the evening.”


“Darling, I  know you will do what’s best for Danny.  I’m sorry if I am making this harder on you.”


“Red, god…” he kissed him once more, “You know my thoughts about being a father but I would never send him into a situation like I escaped. That doesn’t mean with us is the best place for him, though, Red. I can’t stand to see you broken hearted.”  This time his kiss was gentle and probing. “I have to go. I love you, Red. I’ll be in touch.” He opened the door and got out with Marcus. “You are the best thing that has ever happened in my life, Red.” Dan’s arms went around him and held him close for a moment. He then ran his hand over Marcus’ ass before he opened the driver’s door and got in.  “I will talk to you tomorrow.”  


Marcus watched Dan drive away and decided he may have to take his own advice to Danny.  He hurt from need. He thought of Brinn’s frilly bedroom and went to the back of the house and stroked himself until he found some relief.  He walked back to the door and went to bed.



Brian had talked to Gus and gave Dan a call.  It was early in Austria. He had just gotten his husband into bed.  He had lost track of how many nights he had rescued Justin’s ass in the last few weeks.  He also couldn’t remember the last time he tasted those sweet lips or touched that amazing ass except to help him wipe it when he almost fell off the toilet.


“Hey, Brian.  Why are you up so early?”


“I was just talking to Gus and he said you might need to talk.”


“What I need is to screw my husband but that isn’t going to happen for a while.”


“Trouble in paradise?”


“No, not really.  I know we have talked about Danny, even though you haven’t been home but I found his parents and I am going to meet them tomorrow.  Oh, by the way, Marcus and Danny are staying at your house.”


“Gus mentioned that.  You know we don’t mind that. Well, Justin probably doesn’t know unless he called Gus but that hasn’t happened much lately.”


“You still on the outs?”


“God, Dan, he is within arm’s length most of the time but he other than giving me a flunky order he hasn’t talked to me since we left New York and I could deal with that but he is killing himself. He hasn’t had a sober night since we got back here.  I can’t wait to be done with this tour. We have two more weeks of this shit and then we are at least back on our own territory. Will Marcus be done with our house by then?”


“I hope so, I can’t imagine being apart that long.”


“It’s even worse to be together but not being together.  I’m scared he is going to go to far. He has had head injuries and one good fall the wrong drug could….. Fuck, Dan, I called to listen and I can’t shut up.”


“You don’t have to worry about us.  We may be at a rough spot but we have a game plan.  Is Justin really in danger? I have some contacts…”


“No, that will make him even madder. I hope he wasn’t lying when he said no more tours.”


“Brian, has he, well, has he been with someone….”


“No, he drinks until he blacks out every night. I put him to bed and go to my own room.”


“Oh, Brian, I am so sorry. Where will you go next?”


“Switzerland in a couple days and then we end up in Amsterdam.”


“Well, I am sure there has to be someplace in Amsterdam …”


“Yes, that is what I am counting on.  I have a place that will kidnap us after the last night at the gallery.  We will either be together when we leave or I will be dead.”


Dan and Brian said goodbye.  Dan went to bed while Brian decided to take a nap for a couple hours before his day would start.  There were times he wished he didn’t love the tyrant so much but he would do anything to feel Justin’s body next to him.



Dan flew out early the next day and landed in Kansas City shortly after lunch.  He picked up the rental car and was at the attorney’s office at 2:30 p.m. He was ushered into the office immediately. “Mr.  Reed, it is so good to meet you. You may not realize it but I have been following your company for several years but I started paying close attention when you started Janna’s Hope Foundation.  That is an amazing organization.”


“Well, I can’t take credit for that.  My agents did the legwork to find out what happened to Janna since her father works for me.  I only played a small part of getting it up and running. I just hope we can help some families find their children before it is too late.”


“Well, I find it a worthy cause and if you ever need someone in this area to help with a case, please call me.  If I can’t help I will turn you to someone who can.”


“That’s very nice of you.  I will make sure I add your name to our database.  Did you have a chance to look over Danny Jacob’s story?”


“I did.  I actually had been following it through the news.  This morning I went through the files you sent over.  So you know where Danny is but you aren’t sure home is the best place for him?”


“Yes, as the paperwork indicated, Danny is a 14 year old gay boy who has parents that have no idea what that means to Danny’s life.”


“I just want you to assure me that he is in a safe place.  I don’t want to think of a young kid in a homeless shelter by himself.


“No, he is in a caring home with a concerned man who happens to be gay.”


“He doesn’t want Danny for a playmate, does he?”


“You aren’t hired by the parents, right?  I’ll pay you to make it all legal, but what I say next can’t leave this room.”


“You know the drill,” she held out her hand and Dan pulled out his wallet and laid a $100 in her palm.  “I was just looking for a buck.”


“Sorry, this was all I had. So  we are good?” She nodded her head.  


“Danny is somewhere in California with my husband,” Dan was sure she saw her shoulder’s slump a bit.


“Of course you’re married,” she sent a sarcastic smile to him.  Is your husband half as good looking as you are?”


“He is the most wonderful man in the world. In fact, he is the reason I am connected with any of this.  I can honestly say he is not at my house anymore. My husband left me so this might be a little easier. I think his parents do love him because they are his parents but I get the feeling they don’t know how to and may not want to try to understand what it is like to come out as gay.”


“I think I know what you mean but I get the feeling some of this is close to home for you.


“Some of it is very close to my story.  Marcus, however, comes from an amazingly supportive mother which is the reason Red is so good at this parenting thing.  If I’m honest, I don’t want a kid but I want my husband and I think to keep him, I may have to give in. It’s not that I don’t like kids, I love them but I am not the father type.”


“I can tell you care what happens to him and that is the most important thing, especially since it sounds like emotionally he is being well cared for.  I mean if your husband is willing to leave you to take care of the boy, I think the two of you will make good guardians if that is where it goes. I know the questions I am going to ask may sound odd but I want to know what I am talking about if the parents question or get a lawyer of their own.”


The next hour the attorney pumped Dan for information.  She asked about the home Danny would live in. She asked about schooling for Danny and about Marcus’ profession. By the time she had finished she felt like this young boy had hit the mother load.


“Dan, you may not think you should be a father but this boy is damn lucky to have found your house.  Of course, if his family is up to it, they will get custody.”


“I agree completely and if I have to go home and break my husband’s heart I will do it but he knows I will do what is best for Danny.”


“How long have you been married?”


“About nine months. Valentine’s Day.  We moved into our new house about the same time.”  Dan’s mind wandered to Mexico and how much he loved Marcus.”


He startled when he felt a hand on his shoulder, “I am sure I have enough if I need to go there,” she lowered herself to the edge of the desk.  How about getting an early dinner before tackling the parents?”


“That sounds great.”


“There’s a great sports bar around the corner.”


“That sounds like a perfect place to waste a couple hours. You don’t have a reason to go home for a couple hours?”


“Nope.  Kids are in college. Their father has moved to Florida so I am a free agent and you are much better company than my cactus. I hope you don’t mind, I sent my assistant home with my car.  I figured it would be easier if we only have one vehicle. I hope you don’t mind.” 


“No, that’s fine. I am enjoying our afternoon but I didn’t realize I wouldn’t have time to get a room for the night.”


“Well, then, I guess you will just stay at my house.”


“No, really, I just need some clean hotel…”


“Just shut up, Dan.  You’re staying at my place. Face it we may need to talk through some stuff after this meeting.”


“Alright, you’re probably right about that.”


“You aren’t afraid I will try to take advantage of you, are you?”


“Nothing personal, but I haven’t been with a woman in over 20 years.  And it isn’t anything I plan to do again.”



Dan parked and they had an enjoyable conversation as they ate pub food and then drove on to the meeting which was being held at a private detective’s office.  “Who is this guy?” Dan asked.


“Danny’s parents hired him a couple weeks after he left.  He’s not a bad investigator but he isn’t near your level. He has found some missing kids and an errant spouse or two. I worked with him on a case a couple years ago and he is a good guy and he is honest.”


“Well, let’s go meet the family.” Dan opened the office door and let the attorney walk in ahead of him.


There were introductions and a little small talk but that wasn’t Dan’s style. He got down to business quickly.   “Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs, I have spoken to your son.”


“So Danny is really alright?” Teri asked Dan. “You’ve talked with him?”


“Yes, he is fine.  He has just brought up some issues he is concerned about.  He has fears that he won’t be accepted for who he is. Danny has told those he is with that he doesn’t think his family can accept him the way he is.”


“I suppose he said we didn’t love him!” Don said with a bit of anger in his voice.  “I suppose he said we treated him badly.”


“Actually, he didn’t.  He has talked about his little sister and how much he misses her.”


“We do love him.  We will get him help, whatever he needs,”  Teri said through tears.  


The conversation went on for two hours. Finally, the attorney stated, “It is late.  Dan, can we set up a video chat tomorrow?”


“I can check with Danny and the people he is staying with.”


“Does that work for you, Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs? Should we say 7:00 p.m.?  And why don’t we meet at my office. I have a room setup for conference calls.” She turned toward the investigator.  “If you don’t want to attend, I think I can handle this.”  


As Teri and Don walked out, Dan heard Don say, “So we will have to spend another night with them.  Why don’t we call the police and get this over with?”


Dan was about to go after them when the attorney stopped him.  She said goodbye to the investigator and led Dan out to his car. “Damn them! Do they care about him at all?”


“They do care for him but they don’t know how to deal with this anymore than you knew how to react to having a son.”


After driving to the suburbs, he was situated in the spare room.  He needed to talk to Marcus. He needed to be with Marcus. His emotions were all over the place.  He couldn’t really want that boy in their life, could he?


“Hello, Darling.  Did you have a good trip? Did you talk to his parents?  Do you have everything straightened out?”


“I spent the evening with them but we didn’t get anywhere yet.  Tomorrow we want to set up a video call with Danny.”


“Dan, do you need anything before bed?”  Dan’s host asked.


“Dan who was that?” Marcus questioned.


“I’m fine, thanks,” Dan said and then went back to the phone. “Red, I am staying at the attorney’s house.  It was a long day and I didn’t get a room so…”


“So you are staying with a stranger? What if she sneaks in and takes advantage of you while you sleep?”  There was humor in Marcus’ voice.


“I miss you, Red!  Everything good at the vineyard?”


 “As good as it can be without you around, although I think I made a mistake putting Danny into the guest room here.”


“Why? Oh, wait, Justin’s prints are in there aren’t they?”


“Yes, poor kid must have had blue balls last night when I stopped in and said goodnight.”


“Well, I can relate. I love you, Red.  I hope I will be back the day after tomorrow. I better get to sleep.”


“I love you, too, darling.  I will talk to you tomorrow.”




Gus knew he was in trouble.  He was running really late and he had let Shelby know but she didn’t respond.  He picked up some flowers for her but when he walked into the house she was nowhere to be seen. “Shelly?” he said softly, not wanting to wake Taylor. He ran upstairs, and listened.  He heard something coming from Taylor’s room and peeked in. There he found Shelby rocking, tears running down her cheeks and holding Taylor close. “Shelby, what’s wrong?”


“I love her so much,” her voice was shaky.  “I was just looking at the perfect fingers and perfect toes and perfect face.”  Gus took Taylor out of her arms and laid her in her crib. He walked back to Shelby and offered his hand.  She took it and Gus pulled her close, “I’m so sorry I’m late. Oh, I bought these for you.” He handed her the flowers.

“Oh, Gus, they are beautiful,” and she started crying harder.


“Shelly, is it that time of the month?”

 

Shelby stopped crying and looked now in an angry tone, “Gus Kinney, I do not have my period! How come you right away think….  Oh shit, Gus, I don’t have my period but I should….”