- Text Size +

Chapter 16


Shelby woke to feel Gus’ hand traveling over her growing stomach.  It was a morning they could linger in bed. Danny wouldn’t be coming to the door and he didn’t have to rush off to a site.  Shelby turned her face toward his and he kissed her and then worked his way down her neck and began to tease her nipples. He licked and tugged on them which instantly got her attention.  His other hand moved from her baby bump down to her clit and almost immediately she was panting. Since she had still been nursing Taylor when she got pregnant her breasts had remained overly sensitive and the feel of Gus anywhere near them drove her beyond comprehension. Gus moved down her body and as he positioned himself, he restrained himself and slowly he moved in and out of her.  He adjusted his angle just enough each stroke that he gave her a new sensation driving her higher.


From down the hall they heard Taylor begin to fuss.  “Daddy will come take care of you as soon as he finishes taking care of Mommy.”  Gus said loudly. As if she heard him, Taylor started cooing instead of crying. “Now, Mommy, can I take care of you?” He began moving more quickly and as he felt her body give into pleasure he joined her.  He filled her. As he collapsed beside her, she grabbed his hand and put it on her stomach. He felt the lightest flutter in her core and kissed her so gently the baby moved even more. He smiled down at her. “I will be back in a minute.  You quiet that little one and I will quiet Taylor. He dropped a kiss on her swollen lips and was gone.  


“Hello, Sunshine,” Shelby listened to her family over the monitor. “I promised I would take care of you now.” She heard him kiss her and then heard Taylor giggle at her daddy, making Shelby smile. He really loved his little girl. When he walked back Taylor was in a fresh diaper and sleeper and he snuggled her next to her momma. Naturally, she latched onto her momma/s available breast.  Gus started to move her but Shelby stopped him.


“It’s Christmas.  Let her nurse. I have missed that feel.” Gus kissed her.


“Do you think they suspect?” 


“If anyone does it’s Justin.  A couple times he looked at me and I got a feeling he knew but since I wasn’t sick this time I think it threw him off. We are telling them tonight, right? Do you know when Jenn and Tuck get here? I have the guest room ready for them.”


“They come in on the same flight as Becca and Peter so that is middle afternoon.  And then they can have the house tomorrow when we drive up to your folks.” Gus smiled at her. 


“Did Dad give you a time to be there?” Shelby asked.


“Yes, I think dinner is about 6:00.  Maybe I shouldn’t call it dinner. There is going to be food out all night but there will be soups and breads.  Brenda made several kinds of each and Justin has the soups already. She will bring the rolls and bread.”


“That sounds great and I made toppings for sundaes.  Junior is hungry already.” 


“You let Taylor finish breakfast and I will make omelets for us?”


“That would be great.  Gus, I love you.”


Over his shoulder he said, “I love you, too, Shelly.”



Justin had his hands full with the kids this morning.  Both Matty and Jonna were not very happy. They knew their dads had been on the outs and with them just disappearing, Matty was sulking out in Brinn’s studio so she went out there to be with him while Jonna ended up in Justin’s arms, sniffling a little bit.  


“Oh, Jonna, your daddy and papa are on there way.  They texted and said they would be here soon.” She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.


“I’m scared, Uncle Justin.  My dads weren’t happy. What if….”  she hiccuped as he felt the tears fall on his shoulder.


“Oh, honey, your dads love you so much and I believe they still love each other as much as ever.  Your Uncle Brian and I have had lots of rough spots but even when we aren’t happy with each other our kids are always the most important thing in our lives and your dads feel the same.” Justin kissed both her cheeks and he rocked with her in his arms. Brian had walked in while Justin comforted her and slipped out. 


Brian called John. “Hey, Brian. What’s up?”


“How close are you?”


“Well we are just pulling into town.  We were going to stop at the store before coming….”


“Come here first,” this came out as a demand.


“Is something wrong?”


“You tell me.  Your kids are both a mess.  You know I don’t stick my nose into your personal life but when it affects your children I can’t let it go.”


“No, Tony, head to the vineyard,” Brian could hear John give him directions with concern in his voice. “Brian what’s going on.”


“Your kids know you were fighting.  Hell, in the five minutes we saw you, we knew you are having trouble.  I hope you took care of that.” Brian continued now with a much softer tone in his voice, “John, please tell me you two took care of whatever is going on? We love you both.”


“Ah, Uncle Brian, we’re good. We are almost home.  We’ll talk sometime in the next couple days. When does Peter get in?”


“Glad to hear you worked it out.  Peter and Becca should be here by 3:00.” Brian glanced in the window and could tell Justin was singing to Jonna as he rocked her.  “I think I hear you now.” Brian ended the call as the vehicle they were using, came around the curve. Brian gave Tony a hug and then walked around and hugged John but before he could say a word the door flew open and Jonna hurled herself into Tony’s arms but at the same time reached past him for John.  Together the men hugged their daughter as they kissed her and then each other. 


“Daddy, Papa, I missed you. I was so worried. Are you all better? Are we still a family?”


“Oh, Jonna, we will always be a family,” Tony said to his daughter.  “Your daddy and I worked out our little problem but even if we hadn’t, we will always be a family because we both love you kids.  Where is your brother?”


“He’s on his way,” Justin said quietly.  “I just texted Brinn. He’s with her.”


Matty came flying around the corner but then slowed down and the nine year old stood up straight as he walked toward his dads. Tony disengaged Jonna and opened his arms toward his son and Matty threw himself at his papa.


Brian put an arm around Justin and they walked into the house, leaving the family alone. Brian pulled Justin close and kissed him.  “I sometimes think we should have had a houseful of kids. You are so good with them.”


“I am very content with grandbabies now.”


“Grandbabies? More than one?” Brian looked at Justin.


“It is a theory I have.  Have you seen Shelby drink anything?  I mean she has been careful while she was nursing but as soon as she quit nursing she quit drinking.”


“Another one so soon?” Brian questioned.


“Can you imagine how many kids we would have had if we could have had them together?” Justin pushed Brian against the counter as he kissed his neck but as his hand began to move into Brian’s pants the door opened and the family walked in.  


“Excuse us,” John couldn’t hold back the humor in his voice. “We are in one of the cottages, right?”  


“Ya, it doesn’t matter which one,” Justin said over his shoulder as Brian held him close.  Gus’ crew enlarged the cottages. He added built in bunk beds in each so the kids have a place to sleep and there is a little more room in the living area. Would you like me to go down with you?


“You two continue with what you were doing,” Tony smiled.  “Thanks for watching our kids. Hope you don’t mind but we will be taking the vehicle into town with the kids to do a few last minute shopping.”


“The SUV is yours until you leave.” Brian said but was getting distracted by Justin’s mouth on the hollow of his neck.  “Activities begin at 6:00.”


John and Tony took their children and Brian instantly shoved Justin toward the bedroom. “Remember when we used to practice making babies?”


“Oh, I do seem to remember that while Tina was pregnant with Brinn.  When Tina wasn’t trying to get you to screw her.”


“Do you want my dick soft?” Brian shivered.


“That is the last thing I want. Right here, right now.” Justin dropped his pants as he supported himself against a dresser. Brian joined him and dropped his own pants.  He wrapped an arm around Justin’s waist and entered him. As Justin’s hands supported and balanced them, Brian kept one arm around Justin’s waist while the other stroked him in time to his own movements. Justin twisted his head  around so he could kiss Brian as they continued their rhythm. Justin let go of the furniture and reached back to grab Brian’s hips and held him in place as together they climaxed, kissing as they did.  


Brian held onto Justin tightly, “So you really think there is a new baby on the way?”


“I do, Grandpa.  Another little one to snuggle.  One for each of us.”


Brian ground his hips into Justin, coming to life again, deep inside of him. Justin dropped his head back onto Brian’s shoulder and went along for the ride. 


Justin had a bit of trouble walking normally as he walked into the kitchen half an hour later. He and Brian just glowed together.  Peter and Becca had notified them they were on their way and Brinn was on her way from Chantel’s house. Justin put his arms around Brian’s neck one last time before the house began to fill and kissed him. “Darling, I love you.  I can’t do life without you and would never want to.”


“Oh, Sunshine, I would never have made it this far if it wasn’t for you.” He brought his mouth down to Justin’s.


“Come on, Dads.  What if someone else had walked in?  I mean there are all kinds of people coming here soon…”


“And everyone of them have seen us kiss before.”


“Would you rather we be upset with each other?” Brian looked at her with a crooked little smile.


“Of course not, you silly boy.” Brinn came over and hugged both of them. “Are John and Tony back together?”


“Well, as far as I can tell they were never apart but, yes, they have made up from their disagreement.” Justin lifted Brinn up onto the counter, “Now, how about helping get ready for the party.


The next few hours were a whirlwind of activities and then people began to arrive.  Becca and Peter got settled into the cottage with the kids and then came up to the house.  Soon Molly and her family arrived and Brenda took over the kitchen. The aromas of home cooked food filled the air.  Their were several kinds of soup along with breads and cinnamon rolls. Soon there were trays of cookies and candy and bowls of salty snacks.  


Jenn and Tuck were getting caught up with their grandchildren and great grandchildren.  They wouldn’t want to be anywhere else this year. By next year they could stay with Molly and Tyler but their house was in full remodel at the moment. 


The Christmas gifts were almost as high as the tree itself. Dan and Marcus had arrived with Danny, being the last ones to arrive. As Brenda and several others started the finishing touches, Brian looked around and realized Kam who had made a brief appearance had disappeared again.  He moved toward the back bedroom and knocked on the door. “Kam, I’m coming in.” He walked in and found him staring out the window. He walked across the room and put a hand on Kam’s shoulder. He felt the young man trembling. “What is it, Kam? Did someone say something? Did something happen?”  Kam shook his head but wouldn’t look at Brian. He realized Kam was crying. He turned Kam into his arms and held him.


“I’m really sorry you came from such a shitty home, Kam.”  Kam held onto him tight.  


“I asked my mom to come out here for Christmas. Did you know that? But she had plans and couldn’t fit me into her schedule. She is embarrassed by me.  She could divorce Dad but she isn’t sure how to make me disappear.” Brian’s heart ached for the young man. He stroked his hair as Kam regained control.


“I know there are a lot of people out there. You can hide if you want but you are very welcome to join us, Kam.  If we are too much for you, you can come back here but at least come eat with us. I guess you haven’t met everyone but  you are welcome.”


“I’ll be out in a few minutes.  Please just start. I’ll fade in later.”


Brian wasn’t sure what possessed him but he kissed Kam on the cheek like he would Gus or one of his nephews.  “Kam, you really are a good guy, where it counts.” Brian patted Kam’s chest, over his heart, and then walked out the door.



Soon everyone was eating. The kids sat around the dining room table along with some of the adults while there were smaller tables scattered throughout the living room and dining room where three or four sat and ate.  The conversations echoed through the house along with laughter and the coo of a baby. Kam had joined the crowd and sat down at a small table where he was soon joined by Tuck. It wasn’t long before the two men were deep in conversation. 


Brian walked up behind Justin who had stopped in the kitchen to check pots on the stove. His arms wrapped around Justin’s waist, “Are you as happy as I am right now?”  Brian asked as Justin tilted his head back for a kiss.


“I am almost overwhelmed by feelings right now.” Justin sank against him.  “I look around and see the family we created. I wouldn’t change a thing about it.”  Taylor started fussing and Justin scooped her up from the seat she was in and snuggled her close.  He hoped another baby wouldn’t be too much for Gus and Shelby but he loved the idea of another little one and his mom would be over the moon. 


As people cleared their dishes, the kids congregated around the tree and the excitement was growing. Fifteen minutes later there were boxes and wrapping paper everywhere.  Kids were snuggling with parents and grandparents looking at the gifts. Marcus had Taylor on his lap while Dan had an arm casually around Danny and Danny moved closer to him. Dan and Marcus had gotten him the cell phone he had been looking at and dreaming about.  


“So Dan, when are you going to have a baby with Marcus?”  Brenda asked as she held Jenna.


“I think the Taylor-Kinney clan will keep one available for him to play with for now.” Dan said, smiling over at Brenda.


Justin looked over at Gus, That was a perfect lead in if what he suspected was true.  Shelby reached over and squeezed Gus’ hand and she glanced at Danny, who smiled from ear to ear.


“Well, Dan, you’ll be glad to know we are helping you with that dilemma,” Gus stated. “Shelby and I are expecting another baby.”


A cheer went up and everyone took turns congratulating them.  Shelby let them know the new baby would be here shortly after Taylor’s birthday.  It came out Danny had known for weeks. Marcus pulled a sleeping Taylor close to his chest. He kissed her head and felt the warmth of her  little body curled against his chest. He was very happy for them but he wanted one of his own but then he looked over at Dan and Danny and he realized he had all he would ever need sitting right there.  Just seeing Dan openly loving on Danny, made his heart explode.  


Shelby and Gus were one of the first to leave.  They were going to leave early in the morning to spend time with her family.  Molly and her family left next. Jenna and Paul were both getting fussy and Brenda was tired after all she had done to feed this crew. Then Dan and Marcus were ready to head home.  They were heading out early to spend time with Judith, Marcus’ mother. It was time for her to get to know her grandson because Danny was not going anywhere soon.


Peter and John had spent the last half hour kissing on the couch.  Jonna walked over and whispered something to Matty. He nodded and together they walked over to their dads and each took a hand.  “Daddy, Papa, let’s go back to our cottage before you embarrass yourselves.” Matty said as the men got up and laughed. They each picked up one of their children and, after putting on jackets and saying goodbye, they left.  


That left Peter and Becca.  They each had one of their twins on their lap. Justin looked at them and again thought about this is amazing family.  He glanced across the room and looked at Brinn curled up against Brian. Brinn and Matty knew they were biologically brother and sister but were happy to be cousins while Jonna was Matty’s real sister.  And when Gus looked at Clay and Claire, Justin was sure he saw JR, his sister in the face of each of them. He had been with her when she gave birth to them and then bravely gave them to Peter and Becca, knowing they would have the best life with them.  They all had connections and they wouldn’t want it any other way.


After Peter and Becca had collected their kids, Brinn kissed Brian and Justin goodnight and walked back to her room. Justin and Brian weren’t going to worry about cleaning but they put the food away side by side in silence at first.  Finally, Justin said, “Kam looked like he had a good time. He was out here most of the time with everyone. I think Tuck was good for him. What did you say to him to get him to come out?”


“I don’t know….Damn, I just want to kill Keegan!  What an asshole!” Brian fumed


“I think that marshmallow heart has been warmed again,” Justin slipped his arms around Brian’s neck and kissed him.  “He is here now. Hopefully, we have shown him what family can be like, with all our bumps and rough spots. Our love is always front and center.”


Brian pulled Justin tightly against him, “I think we got everything put away.” His lips moved from Justin’s, along his jawline and settled below Justin’s ear causing him to shiver.


“Come on, Gramps, let’s go to bed. Notice I said to bed, not to sleep.” Justin shivered again as Brian’s mouth moved to the hollow of his neck.  Justin managed to turn around and took Brian’s hand. They flipped light switches off on their way out of the kitchen. 


Forty five minutes later they lay together, Justin spooned tightly against Brian, sharing their warmth.  “What are you thinking?” Jusitn asked his husband.


“I am thinking, what if this stubborn kid had given up on me before I admitted I loved him with my whole heart?”


Justin turned into Brian.  “I couldn’t give up on a part of myself and I knew we were one. I had to be the best homosexual I could be and that had to include you.”  Brian rolled over pressing Justin into the mattress. 


“Shut up and kiss me before you make me cry,” Brian lowered his mouth as he guided one of Justin’s legs to bend and move to the side. Slowly and with the most tenderness possible he moved into him. Justin moved for leverage and to give Brian better access.  There was no major noise or frantic movements. Justin stroked Brian’s cheek as the tension built between them. Their eyes locked and then, like the feeling of sliding into silk sheets that first ray of sunshine after a long rain, they found themselves in that place between heaven and earth where nothing could touch them.


As they drifted off to sleep, Justin whispered, “You’re my heart.”


“And you’re my soul.” Brian placed his lips on Justin’s temple and they both closed their eyes.



Christmas Day was very low key.  Peter and John and their families spent the day at the main house.  Jenn and Tuck spent time between her kids’ houses with everyone ending up at the vineyard just enjoying time together.  The kids played games along with the adults. Even Kam joined them and the week continued the same Gus and Shelby and Dan and Marcus returned. They had things going on all the time. One day most of them went over to Molly and Tyler to help with some special wood work that Gus had done for them.  Another day, many of them drove to the nearest snow and sledded and snowboarded for the day. 


Brian fulfilled his agreement with Justin and by New Year’s Eve the results were back.  Brian was still clear of cancer. Life couldn’t be better. As they toasted with wine and sparkling apple cider, everyone agreed they couldn’t ask for more. They were healthy, they were successful, both in love and life, and best of all, they were together.