- Text Size +
MAY /JUNE 2006

Justin worked hard at the bar. He served a couple of guys who waved their bills at him. Justin leaned in to a guy who spoke real soft, "Beer...make it a draught"

Justin reached for a glass and went to the pump and just as it started to fill up with beer, the glass fell out of his hand and shattered all over the floor.

"Fuck!"

He reached down for a dustpan and brush to sweep up the splinters. The bar manager came over and had a right moan, "Ohhh not again Taylor! That is the fourth glass in as little as a couple of shifts..."

Justin stood up and looked apologetic, "I'm sorry..."

The manager looked at him, "If it wasn't for you having a cute little smile and a tight little ass, you'd be through with this job, you understand me?"

Justin shook his head and wiped the beer off his hands from mopping up onto his black vest that had the logo of the bar he worked in 'Glitters'

He went into the bathroom and and put is hand under hot water. His colleague, a young black guy, who worked with him turned as he had a pee, "You still dropping glasses?"

"Yep...Caswell is gonna fire for me for sure if I keep it up"

Lennox came beside him and gave him a once over of his backside as he went and washed his hands, "Not with that tight little ass...he sits at the end of the bar on a stool staring right at it"

Justin laughed, "He's got ZERO chance...can you imagine him all over you!"

Lennox stuck his fingers in his throat as if he wanted to throw up, "Jeez! Can you imagine it! He must be at least what 35...right old past it!", he laughed.

Justin looked straight ahead in the mirror, "not all 35 year olds are that creep looking"

The black guy headed to the door, "not for me man! In my opinion, they are just lustful 'has beens' trying to keep their dying youth...I have nothing against that, but when I'm 35...that's when I go for a 35...you get me...thank god I'm 20...better get back before Caswell fires me!"

Justin's smile faded as the door shut.

QAF

In a cafe in Manhatten the next day, Lisa came out with the two icecreams in her grasp.

Justin sat outside at a table in shorts, a vest and sunshades.

"So...the pink or the green?", Lisa asked.

Justin laughed and reached for the green, but the cone feel out of his hand and slopped all over Lisa's foot.

"Ohhh that's COLD!"

Justin was off the seat and was trying to scoop the ice-cream away fom her feet, "I am SO sorry! I just can't seen to grip anything anymore..."

Lisa looked at him, "What? STILL? Didn't you say a few days back that you were gonna go see a doctor about it?"

They sat as a waitress took over the clearing up and shared the pink ice-cream.

"I know what it is...it happened after I got bashed...I just need to exercise it abit more"

Lisa licked some ice off her finger, "If that's it...one thing I will tell you is...you look tired, but I suppose we can put that down to as too many late nights!", she laughed.

"I haven't slept properly since Brian left...he texted me to say he might try to see me in a few weeks"

Lisa sat back and lifted her sunshades to the top of her head, "Did you and him talk? Did you tell him the way you feel...differently...like you told me"

Justin shrugged, "there was no time to talk...not deep and meaningfuls anyway..."

Lisa sighed, "well...it's up to you...but honesty is ALWAYS the best policy...anyway, we better get a move on, we need to be at the gallery"

QAF

"I had a brain injury about 5 years ago, I was bashed by a baseball bat...I think my weakness in my hands come back"

Justin sat in the clinicans office at the medical center. Lisa sat outside behind the glass.

The MD, an older man in his 50s with greying hair looked at him from where he sat in his comfy chair.

"Is the feeling the same?"

Justin shook his head, "To be honest...no"

"How is it different? How is it not the same?"

Justin shrugged trying to explain the best he could, "At times I seem to have no control...no feeling in my hand or fingers...it was slight at first, but lately it's happening all the time"

"Just your hand?"

Justin nodded, "Haha"

"The same hand that was effected after your injury?"

"Haha, yes"

The doctor considered him, "Do you take drugs?"

Justin was honest, "I have but...could that be it?"

The doctor shook his head, "I wouldn't have thought...okay, have you experienced any other symptons...anything at all?"

Justin laughed, "Yeah...I feel tired"

"Tired when?"

"Tired all the time...but I have a lot of work to get through...I have been pushing myself", Justin explained.

The doctor stood and went to his cabinet, "Justin, what I am going to do is some blood tests...", Justin looked abit off color at that, "...don't worry...", the doctor reasured, "...just routine"

The needle went into Justin's arm and his blood was taken.

"I also want you to have a CT scan...",told the doctor as he sealed the blood tube.

Justin raised his arm holding the cotton wool on to the needle site, "Is that really necessary?"

"Just precautionary..."

QAF

Justin lead the way down to the subway, "A CT scan?", asked Lisa.

"Yeah...on Friday...Friday of ALL days...talk about a bummer"

Lisa leaned on the wall, "Well...if they say you need one, you better go"

Justin slid down the wall and sat on the platform, "I thought I was over all this...Neurology sucks...it just brings back bad memories of when I was bashed"

Lisa slid down beside him, "Well...I'll be there for you"

Justin laughed, "there's no need...it's all routine I'm sure", and they both stood as the subway train screached into the station.

QAF

Later, Justin worked at the bar. He wiped the bar down and looked up to see Callum standing there with another guy in tow, a young guy with short spiky hair and a slender figure.

"Hi Justin...this is Marc"

Justin flashed a smile at them both, "the usual yeah?"

Callum nodded, "Yeah...two bottles"

Marc excused himself and went to the bathroom as Justin placed the two bottles of bud on the bar top, "He seems a nice guy"

Callum gave a seductive look, "He'll do...until you come to your senses and let me fuck you again"

Justin raised his eyebrows at him, "Not gonna happen"

Callum placed his hand over Justin's on the bar top, "Oh really? Well...now I've seen who I am up against, I'm quite confident I will"

Marc was then back pulling on Callum's arm, "Hey wanna dance I love this tune!"

Callum let his gaze linger at Justin before being lead into the crowded dance space. Justin turned his back on them and closed his eyes.

QAF

"Everything okay Justin?"

It was the next morning, Justin laid on the CT scan stretcher before it was moved into the machine.

"Y-yes"

The Techncian in behind the glass spoke into a microphone on her desk, "I'm just gonna move you into the scanner now, okay?"

Justin swallowed down nervously, "Okay...", he muttered, barely audible. He felt the stretcter slide and he was manouvered into the appartus.

The techncian's computer screen showed her images of his brain. The doctor looked at them and nodded his head as more images were captured.

QAF

After the scan, the neurologist had Justin sitting up on the couch in his office. The blonde looked at him puzzled, "You want some spinal fluid? My Aunt had that done. That really hurts, doesn't it?"

The doctor smiled reasuringly at him, "You will be fine Justin, just lie down on your front on the couch...we call this a lumber puncture...I'll make it as quick and as painless as possible"

Justin lifted his gown and rolled onto his front looked slightly uncomfortable as the neurologist repaired his needle.

QAF

Later, some of Justin's artwork was on display at a venue near Brooklyn. There was many visitors milling around pointing and in converstion.

Justin, dressed rather more smartly than usual watched them. An older guy with long hair called Jerry came over and stood with him, "These pieces are great...it's interesting how vibrant the colors are but they blend in nicely with the lower shades and tones"

"Thanks"

He smiled leaning on his cane. Jerry wasn't more than say 55, but he needed a cane.

"Have you sold Many?"

Justin blew out a laugh, "Not as many as I'd like!"

"I know a collector in San Francisco who loves this kind of thing...the walls are color...infact you cannot see the walls for all the art on them..."

Justin looked at him, "Do you think he'd want to buy any of mine?"

Jerry smirked at him and nodded as he looked up to the paintings, "He's a she actually...but yes I think she would be interested...I'll make some enquires"

Justin looked grateful.

"But even if she wasn't interested...I am...I can see that one in my conservatory office in Queens hanging nicely over my wicket ware"

Justin didn't know what that was, but if he wants to buy.

"...and everyone here seems very impressed on what you have to offer...I think we are gonna have to watch this space with you...you are what? 20"

"23"

"Still very very young...still early-on in your career...I'm sure there are gonna be some long years of interest in you"

Justin nodded...but his smiled faded as it wandered on to much darker thoughts.

QAF

Justin was thrilled though. He couldn't wait to tell Lisa as they met and had lunch in a park at East River.

"Wow! That's such awesome news!"

Justin laughed as he removed his shirt and sat their on the grass in his vest, "can you imagine how much money I'd make if I sold them all"

Lisa was crossed legged next to him biting on a Xtrachilli-hotdog, "You work so hard Justin, you deserve it"

Justin felt bad. He had been bragging on and on about how successful he could be and there was she haven't yet sold a thing.

"That's why I'm treating you...if it wasn't for YOU I'd be all alone in this city"

Lisa sadly smiled, "New York can be a lonely...but you do make friends and with that really infectious smile of yours you can make so many more friends here and beyond"

"yeah, like sunshine"

"Hey...we should go out...it's Friday!"

Justin looked at her and sat up and shook his head, "I'm whacked...I had all those tests this morning remember"

"Yeah...but I'm sure you'll be okay...you told me they were all just routine"

Justin shrugged, "Haha, I guess...I mean they never said much...they'd call if they needed to see me and there is nothing on my cell"

Lisa stood up, "So...lets go out and have a good time!"

He looked up at her as she reached her hand to him, he took it and pulled him up on to his feet and they laughed and hurried along towards the river.

QAF

The club was a heaving sweatfest as usual. There was a trio of drag queens in vibrant colors dancing on stage to ABBA. Lisa marvelled at them as they past and clutched Justin's arm, "I love drag!"

Justin laughed, "I do too...I know this great guy back home who does a good turn"

Lisa took a sip of her fizzy cocktail and looked up to see a guy approaching from gathering group of hot ass studs.

"Oh no...look who it is"

Callum was all white teeth and smiles as he strutted up to them and flashed a wink at Justin, "So...is tonight the night, stud?"

Justin looked about them as their faces reflected from green to blue in the club lights, "What? No Marc?"

"Who? Ohhhh HIM...he's history"

Justin tried to be nice, "Look...I keep tell'in you...I'm not..."

"Interested?", Callum jumped in, "Why? Because you are hung up on that geriatric clubboy from good'ol Shitsburgh?"

Justin ran his hand through his blonde hair and shook his head disapprovingly, "Don't call him that..."

Callum licked his lips holding his eyes, "I do usually get what I want"

"I don't want you"

Callum laughed as he grabbed Justin's shoulder, "Ohhhh say it like you mean it and I'd believe you"

Lisa kicked off, "Are you deaf? He said he isn't interested"

Callum blanked her with a, "Fuck off"

"Rude!"

Callum could see he wasn't gonna get past this bitch so he decided to head off, but he cupped Justin's left cheek with his hand, "Whatever...see you real soon blondie"

Lisa watched him go and shook her head in disbelief, "What a complete jerk"

Justin had to smile at her, "I think I quite like him"

"What?"

Justin shook his head, "Not like that...just his kiss ass attitude and that he's hot and he knows it vibe he gives out"

Lisa tested him, "Hotter than Brian?"

Justin didn't look at her but he answered, "...a younger Brian I guess", he took her hand, and grabbed her empty glass "Lets go get another drink...cock-sucking cowboy is it?"

QAF

At Justin's room, his phone rang and the voicemail took it, "Hi...It's Justin...I'm not home leave a message..."

"Hello Justin, it's Dr Colter at Neurology. Could you get back to me as soon as possible...I really need to see you and to discuss further tests...my number is on the card I gave you"

And the call ended.