- Text Size +
JUNE 2006

Justin Taylor laid back on his bed at his mother's house in Pittsburgh. He had his cell phone to his ear as Lisa spoke to him from New York.

"How did she take the news?"

Justin blew a sigh down the cell-phone, "She cried...I cried...She's still crying now I think"

"Life sucks!"

"Mine does...she said she's coming with me to see Dr Hall our family doctor tomorrow...for what use he'll be...he's about 80, and knows shit"

"Do you?"

Justin sat up crossed legged on the bed and scratched his head, "I've been doing some research on the internet...to be honest, I wish I hadn't"

"Me too!"

"Lisa...I'm shit-scared and I don't think I can deal with Mom's reaction...I'll be glad to be back in New York...the sooner the better"

"Good for you...laugh at this diagnosis in the face"

Justin tried to make lite of it, "I'm trying too"

"Well...call me when you get back"

"I will...bye Lisa", he hung up and placed the cell onto his bedside unit. He then went and padded bearfoot across to the wall and put his ear against it. His Mother's bedroom was just next door. There was no crying now.

He was relieved by that and climbed into bed and switched off the lamp. It was so quiet. No sirens no nothing, not like New York. It unnerved him and made him wish he was back there. He closed his eyes not looking forward to tomorrow or what the family doctor had to say.

QAF

It was 10am when he and his mother sat opposite Dr Hall in his office at the medical center.

"And your neurologist has emailed me your notes from his office in New York"

Justin pulled a face, "Why bother? I'm heading back there as soon as I can get a flight"

Jennifer snapped her head round in a not too happy stance, "No you are not, Justin, we have to..."

"Why not for fucks sake?"

Jennifer couldn't believe he could actually ask that, "because you are too ill, that's why!"

Justin knew that and didn't have to be reminded of the fact, "I WAS yesterday and the day before...and guess what? I will be tomorrow as well, so what's the fucking difference?"

Jennifer looked to the doctor apologetically, "Justin please, your language is not appropriate here..."

Dr Hall leaned forward, "Should I leave you two alone..."

Jennifer shook her head, "No...I'm sorry"

Justin realised they were trying to help him, "We both are"

Jennifer was already faffing around with a plastic folder in her grasp, "Look...treatment...what's his options? It doesn't matter about the cost, I'll take out more insurance if I have to"

Dr Hall looked at Justin, "Has your Neurologist explained this to you?"

Justin nodded, "There is no treatment...not really...just things I can to to slow it down...exercise and that...I've been doing that"

"But it is important you don't tire yourself out as well", advised Dr Hall, "ask reception for a self help leaflet on it and other things you can do, like eating a balanced diet"

Justin had more than read up about it on the net, "Yeah...Okay"

Jennifer watched Justin stand to leave, and she faced Dr hall with a sudden reality check, "there really is NO cure, is there?"

He nodded and Justin left the office. Jennifer collected up her papers and followed him out closing the door.

QAF

Outside Justin refused to get in the car, "I'll see you at home later"

Jennifer was at the wheel looking at him through the open passenger door, "Justin please get in, we need to talk about this...ALL of it"

"No we don't! Not today...I'm sorry, I just need some time out", he closed the door and walked off, Jennifer, feeling helpless shook her head, and reluctantly drove off.

Justin turned the corner and made his way to Liberty diner. Deb's eyes were fixed on him in surprize as soon as he entered through the door, "Well hello! It's good to see you sunshine!"

Justin shrugged a smile as he step foot to the counter, "I thought I'd stop by"

Debbie was genuinely pleased to see him, she put her pen behind her ear and said, "So...how are you do'in!"

Justin breathed out a laugh that he hoped looked normal, "Yeah! Great! Lifes doing just great!"

"Well I'm pleased to hear it! So how long are you back for?"

Justin laughed, "Why do you ask? You want my help in here again?"

Debbie poofhooed that, "No way...you are way too good to go slaving away as a busboy in here, I can tell you"

"thanks"

"Have you seen Michael? What about Brian, I bet he couldn't wait to get his hands on you!"

Justin just wanted to go, "No...well...in-fact I'm on the next available flight...I just came by to see my Mom"

Debbie smiled at him, "Ohh bless you, long way to come visit mind"

The door opened and Emmett breezed in, "Debs I...HI baby! When did you get back?!"

Justin was now making his excuses and was backing away to the door, "I'm not...back I mean...infact I was just leaving"

Debbie came around the counter and gave him a much loved hug, "Ohhh sunshine...this is such a flying visit...it's a mighty shame...make sure you tell us next time you're in town so we can really catch up, Michael will be disappointed he missed you"

Justin nodded, " I will...see you", he then was off out the door.

Emmett came to stand next to her at the doorway, "Well...I don't blame him...he's living the dream isn't he...in the bright lights of New York City, I feel a song coming along..."

Debs shook her head, "Not right now hunn..."

QAF

Justin crossed the street and saw Brian's building coming up ahead of him. He paused and looked at it thinking. What was he going to say to him? He hadn't really thought about it.

Then he saw the door open, and Brian was coming out with some young laughing stud in tow. Brian was laughing too. Justin bit his lip, another fuck no doubt to feed Brian's very high sex drive.

I don't even feel like sex..

That would be a problem. Brian had reached this studs car and they were chatting beside it and laughing again. But before Justin was starting to think Brian wasn't playing by the rules now, the stud leaned in to kiss Brian, who turned his face away.

Okay...you are playing by the rules...but what use am I to you now..."

The stud drove off. Brian, dressed in a sleeveless dark shirt lit up a cigarette and watched the car drive off. Justin backed off into a allyway as Brian turned to look his way before going back inside his building.

Justin swallowed down and walked off into the opposite direction.

QAF

Justin was throwing clothes in his flight bag.

"You can't just go back Justin!"

"I have to...I can't stay here"

Jennifer came forward, "Why not? Justin...you need to be here where I can look after you...I'm your Mother"

Justin wasn't pleased to hear that, "I'm 23! I can take care of myself...I am going back to New York and you cannot stop me"

Jennifer pulled her hair back and was thinking through an idea as she spoke, "Okay...if New York is what you want...then I am coming with you"

"No Mom!"

Jennifer looked upset and Justin relented his flash of anger, "I can take care of myself...look, I'll call you everyday...will that help?"

Jennifer shook her head, "You have to promise you will and if you get WORSE...I want to know, no arguements Justin"

Justin shook his head and went over and hugged her, "I promise...but I really NEED to do this my way..."

QAF

At Liberty cafe, Michael had been informed by his mother that Justin dropped by.

"Where's he now?"

Debbie was wiping over the counter and glanced up at the clock, "Probably on the next flight as we speak by now"

Michael was disappointed, "Ohhh really! I was gonna show him some new ideas I came up with about a new super-hero...I'd like him to do the art again"

Debbie laughed, "Catch up with him NEXT time"

Brian had just entered and caught the very end of the converation, "Catch up with who? Ben still busy...?"

Michael wanted to swipe that smirk of Brian's face, "Oh that'll be right, he works late and you think he's up to no good"

Brian tilted his head with a grin, "Your words not mine"

Debbie leaned forward, "He was talking about sunshine"

Brian gave her a puzzled look, "Justin?", he looked back at Michael, "...he's in New York you twot, how can you catch up with him?"

Micheal loved the fact that he managed to wipe that earlier smirk off Brian's face, "Because Mom's seen him"

Brian looked at Debbie for confirmation, she shook her head, "That 's right, he was in here just this afternoon"

Brian shook his head like he was trying to figure out a reason why of what he was about to ask, "Where is he now? Why the fuck didn't he call me?"

It was Micheal's turn to smirk, as he was about to eat his lemon cake with double icing, "Maybe...he's up to no good"

Brian didn't answer him. He reached out grabbed the plate the cake was on just as Michael went to fork a slice, and cockily tipped it into the trash with a sarcastic smile, he put his cell phone to his ear...

QAF

His cell-phone was ringing just as Justin was waiting for a cab at JFK airport arrivals. Mr Kinney flashed up on caller display and he answered, "Hi..."

"Hey Justin...what the fuck? Where are you?"

Justin laughed, "I'm at the airport..I'be just got back", he knows I was in Pittsburgh.

"Oh...so let me just get this right...you come all the way to Pittsburgh and skip seeing me?"

Justin bit his lip, "It's not all about you"

"So what's up?"

"Nothing"

"Well that's a lie...I can tell by the tone of your voice"

Justin didn't know what to say, "look...to be honest...

"that would be good"

"I've been doing a whole lot of thinking and I've decided...I'm gonna focus on my career now and...not you"

"I'd say you would be talking sense...if it wasn't for you not being TOTALLY honest with me"

Justin swallowed down, had Mom told him?

"What...?"

"You wanting to move on...and that's fine...it's only natural that you'll want to meet someone your own age..."

Justin was relieved he didn't know the truth. He just went with it now.

"Yeah...there is someone...I was meaning to tell you, but I backed out...I'm a coward...I'm sorry"

"Justin...it's okay...I just want YOU to be happy and if this...guy...makes you happy...I'm happy"

For a minute Justin held the cell down and with his other hand, wiped his eyes, he lifted the phone to his ear, "Look...I have to go...my cabs here..."

"You're upset...I can tell"

"I'm sorry...I..."

"It's okay...You were too scared to tell me...but I KNEW deep down that this was gonna happen sooner or later...so don't go worrying about me...i'm fine...I'm more than fine...you know me"

Justin climbed into the back of his cab, "Friends?"

"Always"

Justin pocketed his cell and sat in the back of the cab in tears. Why couldn't I just tell him the truth!

In Pittsburgh Brian leaned on his car staring at his cell phone, "Good luck sunshine...big world out there"

He smiled through glassy eyes and jumped in his car and sped off with a screech.

XXX