- Text Size +

Lindsay made sure Melanie was asleep before she slipped out of the bedroom and silently went down to the kitchen. She poured herself a glass of wine, because what Mel doesn’t know can’t hurt the baby, and called Brian to air her grievances.

“Brian your phone is ringing”

“Pick up.”

“It’s Lindsay. I’ll let it go to voicemail.”

“Pick up. Let’s get this show on the road.”

So he picked up. It wasn’t that he was afraid but they were only thirty minutes away and she could easily ruin their night if she decided to fake a pregnancy crisis. Couldn’t she have waited until they were in LA?

“Hello?”

“Brian?”

“No. Who is it?”

“Who the hell are you? How dare you answer Brian’s phone? Did you steal it? Does Brian know his trick is answering his phone? Where’s Brian?”

Justin wanted to ask her if she was Brian’s wife. Instead he took a deep breath and asked her once again who she was.

“If you want me to tell Brian you called, I recommend you calm down and tell me who you are.”

Brian was standing in the en-suite door, arms crossed, and a smirk playing on his lips. He was enjoying this too much.

Lindsay launched a long insulting tirade about her importance in Brian’s life. If she thought her entitlement was intimidating the young man, she was very wrong.

“I’m happy to know how highly you think of yourself but it still doesn’t tell me who you are.”

Brian’s eyes were sparkling and he was biting his lips to contain his laughter.

“I’m his kid’s mother!”

“Okay. Brian, Lindsay’s on the phone.”

Brian took the phone, kissed Justin’s plump lips and sat next to him on the bed. He motioned to Justin to move and sit between his bended legs and lay back on him. Justin greedily agreed.

“Hey Linds, what do you need?”

“How can you humiliate me like this?”

Fishwife Lindsay was about to make a raging appearance.

“I’d love to tell you how giving that you can tell me how the fuck I humiliated you.”

“Are you serious? You arrived late at my baby shower, wondered why it wasn’t about Melanie too, as if she’s the one pregnant with your kid, fought with Michael, informed me that you were backing Mel’s godfather choice, and gave Mel a car! And to top it all, you let your trick pick up the phone!”

Brian could easily imagine Lindsay’s counting his infractions on her fingers and giving him her patented baffled innocent virtuous lady look. But he could also imagine the twitch in her lips and her balled hand in an attempt to not loose what was remaining of her temper.

“Well, at the risk of sounding obvious, who answers my phone is none of your fucking business. You might be pregnant with my kid but I didn’t fuck it into you. I chose Ted because he’s one of best friends. As for giving Mel a car, her car is constantly breaking down so she needed a new one.”

“Didn’t you think that I might need a new car too. I’m the one pregnant you know.”

“Lindsay, I know you’re the one who is pregnant. You look like a whale. It’s impossible to not notice that you’re pregnant. So for fuck’s sake stop repeating it.”

At this point, Justin was shaking with silent laughter.

“As for the car, you don’t need a new one. Mommy and Daddy gave you a new one on your birthday. You want a new one. There’s a big difference here. Is there anything else I can help you with before you fuck off?”

“Where are you and who are you with?”

“Well, that’s a story for another day. Take care of my baby. You know, the one you’re pregnant with.”

Brian snapped the phone off and threw in the bed table’s direction. He had more important issues to take care of.

In her kitchen, Lindsay was combusting.

“Son of a bitch”

“It gives him at least one thing in common with his kid.”

Mel’s voice startled Lindsay. It was dripping with venom.

“Don’t be jealous Mel.”

“I’m not fucking jealous. I’m fucking furious.”

Mel took the wine glass and threw it in the sink.

“I’ll be sleeping in the guestroom. Enjoy our bed, since you know, you’re the one who is pregnant.”