- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Remember how I always do flashbacks.

 

HAPPY READING,

~Nichelle

CHAPTER FIVE: THE HIGH COST OF BEING WILLFULLY DEAF, DUMB and BLIND



VIC


I arrived back at Deb’s house to find her sitting alone in the living room, once again leaving another message for Brian, and then Justin. I didn’t say anything as I stood there for several minutes. I nearly laughed when the voicemail message on each phone stated that she was unable to fire any more salvos, and threats if they didn’t call her back immediately. Finally, I’d had enough of her ramblings about ungrateful assholes, and silently reopened the door behind me… only to turn around and slam it shut, causing her to jump out of her skin.


At first, when Mel dropped me off, I was going to leave the entire matter regarding Deb’s part in all of this alone. I’m a firm believer that you can’t fix stupid or crazy. But after hearing the bullshit demands she left on Brian and Justin’s individual voicemails, I’ve decided that my sister needed a hefty dose of hard truths. And I’m just the one to deliver them.


“What the fuck do you mean by slamming MY door, Victor Grassi- traitor extraordinaire?!” Deb yells at me, standing there with her hands on her hips.


I walk further into the living room, willing myself not to either laugh or throttle her. “Where are your precious children, Deb? Still off plotting and planning to ruin someone else’s lives the way they have their own?”


“What the hell are you talking about? They haven’t ruined anyone’s lives, Vic. And you haven’t answered my question about the slamming of MY door!”


“I’m surprised you even noticed anything else beyond your chronic diarrhea of the mouth to Brian and Justin’s voicemails.”


“How did you know?”


“Other than the fact that your screeching was so loud it could be heard from the sidewalk, was the fact that I’d arrived several minutes ago only to hear you up close and personal. The funny thing is that you are still wondering why they will not answer your calls, or even deem you worth the time and effort it would take to call you back.”


“They should know better than not to. After all I have done for them, the least they can do is give me the respect I deserve by answering their goddamn phones!”


“Respect YOU deserve, huh? Why? When it’s obvious that respecting you would be the equivalent of punishing themselves.”


“How dare you say that to me?!”


“I dare a great deal, fuck you very much!” I yell back at her, causing her to shut up immediately. It is a very rare occasion for me to raise my voice, but twice in the same night must have struck her dumb for a time. So I continue my earlier statement. “Let's get one thing straight immediately. I'm not Michael, so whatever tone you take with me, is the same one I'm going to take with you in return. Now, I love you, Deb; I really do. But your need to badger everyone and everything for Michael’s benefit- and now, Lindsay’s- is overruling your good judgment. It always has, and I suspect it always will if you don’t open your fucking eyes to the manipulation you’re being used to inflict.”


“How can you say that, Vic? Michael and Lindsay are just concerned that they haven’t heard from Brian and Justin. Plus, Brian shouldn’t be out of touch with Lindsay since she has his son to consider. That’s what parenting is all about…”


“And there, right there, is what I’m talking about.” I sigh before asking, “Just what have Michael and Lindsay told you about the reason Brian and Justin won’t respond to them?”


“Only that Lindsay has arranged for a way for Sunshine to attend college and have an internship so that neither he nor Jennifer will have to worry about continuing his education. Nor will he have to depend on his asshole father, and that Brian is trying to stop him from taking the opportunity.”


“So basically they have lied to you about their motives while telling you a half-truth about the offer.”


“What? You’re not making any sense.”


“I’m making perfect sense if you’re willing to open your damn ears and hear someone other than Michael and Lindsay’s whining for once. But then again, with them constantly screeching in your ears, and you doing it to yourself, it’s no wonder that you tend to turn off your ears. Then again, perhaps that’s where Michael gets it from.”


“What the hell do you mean by that, Vic?” she asks, her voice rising again.


“Only that you have the same habit he does of turning OFF your ears to the things you don’t want to hear. Only you go one better by excusing anything- and I do mean ANYTHING- that changes your view of the Master Manipulator you raised.”


“Michael doesn’t do that, Vic. He just…”


“Tries to control everyone’s life, and life choices, while using you as the metaphorical club to keep them in line. And again, you wonder why Brian and Justin will not call you back?”


“Nothing can make up for their total disregard, Vic. Nothing! If they would just talk to me…”


“What? What would you say differently than what you have been saying for the last few weeks, Deb? You have been badgering them as much as Michael and Lindsay have, ever since they left for their vacation. And because they took the opportunity to enjoy themselves away from the constant snide comments and censure of the other two, they- meaning Michael and Lindsay- have sent you into overdrive to do their bullying for them. So what could you possibly have said to them at any point that Brian and Justin saw fit to answer you, that you haven’t already said or threatened?” I ask, exasperated that she is still sitting here trying to justify and excuse away all of their behaviors towards Brian and Justin. 


Again, I can’t help but notice exactly what Michael learned to do at her knee, which is to dodge responsibility at any cost, even if it means blaming the victims. I shake my head at her. I wonder if there is any way to teach this particular old dog the new trick of allowing everyone to lead their own lives, especially her son. Part of Michael’s problem is that he gets to do his dirt and then hide behind her apron strings to protect him from the fallout. Well, it’s time to cure her of one of her preconceived notions about him right now. 


Before she can think of another excuse for Michael’s machinations and stalking of Brian, I blurt out, “You do know that Michael isn’t just visiting, right?”


“Again, I have to ask, what you are talking about, Vic. Michael is supposed to return to Portland on Wednesday. He told me so.”


“And I spoke directly to David. He called me and advised of the real reason for Michael’s visit here.”


“Which is? And why the hell would he call you?”


“Probably because he knew that you would find a way to make it all his fault that Michael chose to ruin his relationship, due to his constant quest to live up Brian’s ass.”


“That’s not true! He’s just concerned for Brian. He wants to…”


“Know every single move Brian is making so that he can either approve of or prevent it,” I advise her. “When are you going to learn to really listen to what Michael is saying instead of just hearing what you want to hear?”


“Well since you’re so enlightened, why don’t you tell me what the fuck it is you think you know.”


I look at her, seeing the belligerence in her glare in my direction. It’s almost as if she’s daring me NOT to negate everything that she’s been told. Which you would think that after knowing me all my life, she’d know that if it ever came down to speaking my mind or busting hell wide open for my inaction, I’m going to sing like the proverbial canary. However, there are things that I promised my boys not to disclose, and so I figured that I need a human check to balance me so that Deb’s idiocy doesn’t cause me to betray Brian and Justin’s faith in me. So I do the one thing she doesn’t expect and pull out my cellphone to dial.


“Who the fuck are you calling?! This is a private conversation in which you ‘The All-knowing Victor Grassi’ are about to tell me why you think my actions thus far have been wrong.”


Instead of answering, I answer the recipient who has already connected the call from their end. “Hello, Jenn. No… everything is fine; well as fine as it can be at this point. Yes, she’s at it again, so would you mind coming over to help me disabuse her of some notions she’s mistakenly under. Oh? You were? I guess as the realtor on record, that would make sense. So has he been escorted off the premises yet? Good! But listen, is it possible for you to come over here? I’d understand if you don’t want to. Great! See you in about ten minutes, and yes! Feel free to bring him along, too. I think Deb needs a little more perspective than just what you and I can give her, and he’ll help tremendously, I think.”


We disconnect the call, and I tell Deb that Jen is on her way over. What I don’t tell her is that Michael has been arrested for disturbing the peace. No, I want her here to hear everything that’s been withheld from her concerning Michael, with the exception of Brian and Justin’s marriage. They will disclose that in their own time, or keep it to themselves as they’ve been doing at will. I’m not going to add to the frenzy that’s already going to come from Michael and Lindsay by adding Debbie to the mix. 


Besides, I want to give them time to really understand what it could mean for them to be together without everyone else having their say. This last near-year has seen that happen one too many times already. A lot of misunderstandings between Brian and Justin could have been avoided if the people with ulterior motives had kept their own noses clean and out of the boys' business. So no, I don’t want Deb to go tearing off to rescue Michael from his own folly once again. Instead, I want her to hear the absolute truth of the matter from the one person who has just as much to gain by Justin being here but has opted to let him lead his own life without her interference. And perhaps while hearing it all from Jennifer, Deb will learn a thing or two about how to do that.


After moving about the house in virtual silence- with Deb fuming, and me concentrating all my efforts on having some refreshments ready for Jenn and the surprise guest to make their appearance- they finally arrive. It’s only been about ten minutes so far, but being at odds with Deb is never comfortable even when I know that it can’t be helped. I walk back into the living room area, greeting Jennifer first, and then turning to the new owner of the building that Brian’s loft is housed in. “Hello, Marty. I’m surprised that you aren’t dressed as Marilyn tonight.”


“No, my darling Vic. The universe had other plans for me tonight. And it’s a good thing since I would have had to cut my evening short anyway to deal with that particular disturbance.”


“And the other pest… was she there, too?”


“For a time, yes. But then she looked at the time and said she had to hurry home. I would imagine that by now, she’s reached there and all is NOT good in that quarter, let me tell you. In fact, you might want to call HIM and let him know that what the both of you predicted is about to happen.”


“How do you know that?” I gasp because it means that…


“God writes the script, Sweetie. I just say the lines. So yes, he needs to have his representative make a move sooner… as in tonight.”


“Will you two stop talking in fucking riddles and tell me what the hell Mysterious Marilyn is doing in my living room?!” Deb demands. “You can’t seriously believe in that claptrap, Vic!”


“You don’t get to tell me what I believe, or what TO believe, especially since you’re hellbent on believing the best in two of the most manipulative people to ever enter Brian and Justin’s lives,” I answer her with just as much venom, before turning to Jennifer. “Now you understand why I called you? I can’t be trusted not to divulge everything else that they wouldn’t approve of her knowing until they’re ready to disclose it. But she’s irking me to the point where my mouth might run away from me just to shut her up in my attempt to get her to see reason. So I thought your cooler head could prevail just now.”


“Oh, I don’t know about that, Vic, since I’m pretty pissed off with the situation myself. Regardless that it’s working out for the best, it still doesn't change the fact that Michael and Lindsay fucked with Justin’s future in an attempt to remove him from Brian’s life permanently, without thought or regard to how my son might end up.”


“What the hell are you talking about, Jennifer? Michael wouldn’t do that! And neither would Lindsay. If anything, they just wanted to make sure that Sunshine didn’t have to worry about what your husband would do to hinder Justin.”


“And you’re just as ignorant as the two of them if you believe that!” Jennifer said forcefully, before taking a calming breath. “Vic, could you pour me a cup of tea and then make your phone call, please? I have a feeling this is going to take some time. But first, Deb, you should know that the reason Marilyn is here is that he has a vested interest in making you understand that neither Michael nor Lindsay are welcome at the loft apartments on Tremont.”


“What the fuck does that have to do with Marilyn?”


“I own the building now, Debbie. I’ve been a resident there for a number of years, and have been privy to every freaky, sneaky thing that has gone there, especially at your son's and Lindsay’s hands. So when the building came up for sale, I decided that not only was it a sound business investment, but also a way for me and the other residents to FINALLY have some peace from the whining and cooing that goes on when those two are around.”


“But not the other screams and the revolving door that the loft is when Brian’s tricks are there!”


“That’s different. And besides, since Brian pays his fees as the HOMEOWNER, he can have who and what he wants in there.”


“Well then, there’s no reason that we shouldn’t be allowed inside then!”


“It is when they think it's acceptable to enter his loft whenever they please, including when he’s NOT there. It is when Brian chooses NOT to answer them and they consistently lean on another resident's buzzer to let them in when he so obviously doesn’t want their company. It’s the reason why my first order of business as the new owner was to have the locks changed, and advise that the ONLY extra keys to be given out were to the realtor who will manage the property for me when I’m not in residence. Who just happens to be Jennifer Taylor, and I assure you that when it comes to following the rules, and maintaining Justin and Brian’s privacy, there will be no better watchdog for such a purpose. Get used to the fact that the reign of Novotny-Peterson Terror is over. Permanently. Finished. FINITO! You’ve all abused our peace and privacy for the last time!”


“NO! That is not acceptable! Brian will hear about this and will be moving out of there as soon as possible!”


“Do you hear yourself?” I ask her, coming back from talking to the man in question. “You sounded like Michael and Lindsay just then.”


“We’ve all had access to Brian for years. There’s no way that he’ll deny us that access now simply because he’s…”


“Tired of you all interfering in his life? That is what you were going to say, right?” Jennifer asks, rhetorically. 


“Jennifer, surely you see that Brian is denying Justin the opportunity that Lindsay arranged for him because he’s being a selfish little shit like he’s always been?”


“No. That title belongs to Michael and Lindsay, especially the former of the two.”


“How dare you sit in MY house and speak about MY son that way?!”


“I dare very much and will be happy to go even further in the namecalling if I want to. But we’re getting off track as to why Vic asked me to come and speak to you. You need to know the truth of Michael and Lindsay’s machinations before you end up looking like an even bigger fool than you already do in your stalwart defense of them. More than Justin’s mother at this moment, I would like to consider myself a good friend, Debbie. And that means also saying things that my friend may not want to hear so that she can gain some insight into the undercurrents of crap surrounding her.”


“Deb, you need to listen to her because everyone and everything you’ve ever held dear hang in the balance at this moment. Not only are the people in your life tired of you being used to keep them in line, but so is the universe. There are many things that you deserve, but will never get because of your unwillingness to see and hear the truth,” Marty tells her, and although she rolls her eyes at him, she does sit down in preparation to hear Jennifer out. 


I think Deb realizes that she at least owes Jennifer that much, since during Justin’s coming out, Jenn had to accept some of the same hard truths Debbie delivered with all the grace of a one-two punch combo. During the times I was present for them, there were many times that I had to clean up the mess Deb’s words had caused within Jennifer. But Jennifer had looked at Deb as some sort of guru in the art of how to parent a gay son. So whereas my knowledge was valued as a way to understand what Justin was thinking and feeling, it wasn’t as vital from Jennifer’s point of view as learning about what it would take to reformulate all of her dreams regarding Justin to fit this brave new world he would ultimately become a part of. And from then on, Jennifer understood just how much courage it took for Justin to live in his own truth, as opposed to hers. 


And now it’s time to teach Deb about letting Michael go so that he can do the same… WITHOUT Brian.


“Before we begin,” Jennifer says, “I want you to hear some things, Debbie. I think it will go a long way in exposing some untruths you have been told in order to get you to do what Michael and Lindsay wanted you to. I’ll only play the first ten minutes, but rest assured there are plenty more where they came from. If you would like all of them, I’m sure that can be arranged.”




 “So what is it that you all think you know about my son that I don’t?” Deb asks, with her former belligerence tempered just a bit.


JEN


I’m sitting here, silently fuming as I begin the process of exposing Michael and Lindsay for the opportunistic little leeches they truly are. But the thing that is angering me the most is that Debbie is continuing to defend their supposed right to continue to invade Brian’s- and therefore, Justin’s- privacy. Oh, I’ve heard Justin and Daphne talking about it when he’d come over to the house, just needing a break from Michael’s constant griping and snide comments. I thought that maybe it was just the usual teenage angst when Justin would request that Craig and I knock before entering his room. I think at some point all teenagers went through that; I know I did. But nothing could have prepared me for the true nature of Michael’s territorial nature, or being confronted with the intrusion firsthand.


It happened a little over four months ago, when I’d happened upon Michael in Justin’s borrowed room here at Deb’s house. Justin was working at the Diner but had asked me to come to the house to pick up his messenger bag, since from there, I would have to take him to Sewickley to complete Cal and Majorie Buckley’s coffee table so that it would be ready for viewing at their housewarming party on that Saturday. So with Deb’s permission, Justin handed me his key and I entered the house. I knew that Vic was attending a POS-Men’s group meeting and wouldn’t be home. So imagine my surprise at finding Michael rummaging through Justin’s sketchbook, tearing out any drawings that Justin had done of Brian… or him and Brian. Of course, those in and of themselves were shocking, but I couldn’t see past the anger of having been witness to Michael’s assholery and vindictiveness.


“What is it that you think you’re doing with my son’s sketchbook?!” I asked, barely keeping myself from screaming his head off.


At first, he jumped and looked at me confused, as if he thought that he was dreaming it. However, it wasn’t until I’d made my way across the room to snatch the book out of his hand, as well as nab the other drawings, that Michael had snapped out of his stupor.


“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IN MY MOTHER’S HOUSE?! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE HERE!” He screeched at me, making it harder for me not to slap him back into the middle of the last century.


“I have every right to be here since your mother is most certainly aware of my presence in my son’s room, as is Justin, himself. However, I doubt that either of them knows that you are here, invading their privacy at will.”


“I’m not invading Ma’s privacy; just Justin’s,” he responded, flinching when his words finally registered to his own ears. “I didn’t mean it like that.”


“Of course, you did. And I’d kindly warn you that if it happens again, I WILL advise Justin to press charges for invasion of privacy, and vandalism.”


“Vandalism?” he gasped. “Over some petty fucking drawings?!”


“Did you draw them?”


“Huh?”


I repeated slowly, through clenched teeth, “Did. You. Draw. Them?”


“Well, no. But they are of MY best friend, and I doubt that Brian would be happy having Justin displaying his…”


“Whether Brian would be happy or not is beside the point and unequivocally NOT your business. Besides, from all accounts, I doubt Brian would have a problem with Justin drawing all of his God-given attributes. However, YOU are in violation of quite a few laws, and a host of other infractions that I would have no trouble making stick if you don’t get your nosy, obsessed, and petty ass out of the room I’m paying your mother rent for.”


“Look, Lady, I don’t know who you think you are, but you have NO RIGHT to kick me out of MY MOTHER’S house!”


I smiled cruelly at him and suggested, “Perhaps you’re right, Michael. But how about we call her and I let you explain exactly what you’re doing here, in Justin's room, without her knowledge or permission, while she’s not at home?”


And as I pulled my cellphone from my purse, I observed Michael running from the room. But what tickled me the most was his exodus down the stairs being made even more rapid courtesy of his untied shoes. The subsequent screams and thumps as the clumsy clod slid down on his back, which ended in an abrupt stop into the wall at the bottom were music to my ears. Fucking mangy mutt, I thought to myself, even while almost repenting for my evil thoughts toward the manchild. Michael Novotny was certainly NOT worth my soul’s salvation, even if my lack of charitable thoughts about his character were indeed accurate.


So sitting here listening to Deb defend the constantly intrusive actions of herself, her son, and Lindsay Peterson was definitely NOT an activity listed in my good books right now. In all honesty, it’s hard for me to sit in this chair, projecting the image of a cool cucumber when in reality I’m more like a boiling cauldron. I interrupt as she’s about to get on another tirade to Marty about his decision to change the locks and entry codes at the loft. “Deb, perhaps it’s time for you to really understand the hidden motives of Michael and Lindsay in reference to Justin, through their own words. Because, honestly, I’m tired of you being in the dark about Michael’s character, and while you’re sitting there reaching for every excuse in the book for your thoughtlessness, you’re beginning to remind me of Lindsay. And let me assure you that as of right this moment, that is certainly NOT a good thing.”


“What do you mean it’s not good, Jenn? She’s arranged for Justin and you not to have to worry about his schooling; I can’t see anything wrong with that.”


I simply stared at her for a moment before saying, “No. No, you wouldn’t, would you? I mean, after all, it’s not your baby’s life being maneuvered and manipulated due to the false hopes and wishes of other individuals, right? Well, let me tell you something before I play these recordings, Deb. Lindsay and Michael’s motives were ANYTHING but altruistic. In fact, they were selfish in the extreme, but you can’t see that because you’re just like them. All that matters to you all- and especially them- is that Brian is available to be at your beck and call again. All that matters is that he’s readily handy to fix the chronic fuck-up that is YOUR son. All that matters is that he's Michael's BEST FRIEND, while Michael is NOT ANYONE's FRIEND but their JAILER, and that's especially true for Brian! All that matters is that he’s Lindsay’s sole source of income and her heteronormative fantasy come to life. Well, let me tell you something! Brian is NONE of those things ANYMORE, and he's NOT going to return to them for the sake of any of YOU!

 

"In fact, he and MY SON are deeply involved. And knowing what I have learned about the man himself, I wouldn’t change that for anything in the damn world! So I’m going to play some of the messages that Justin forwarded me from his phone that your precious offspring has left him, along with a few others from yourself and Lindsay. And before you ask, I’m only going to play a few because there are about one hundred and sixty-two messages here on the electronic inbox that he has attached to his phone so he can check his messages, even if his phone is dead. Then perhaps you could be so fucking kind as to climb off your delusional soapbox about how they both care so much for Brian and Justin and realize that like YOU, they are both selfish and self-absorbed creatures!”


I don’t give her a chance to respond as I play the first soundbyte from my email, which is the one that David used to send Michael back here on a plane as fast as he could muster. Then the next one was from Lindsay, all saccharine coo and wheedling.


Message 2 playback: Justin… Darling, you can’t seriously still be mad at me for doing what I thought was best for you. I mean, I’m not mad at you for ruining my wedding to Mel, so you shouldn’t be mad at me for doing what I thought was best for you. Sure, Michael asked me to, but he and I didn’t want you sitting here pining away while Brian was getting settled within his new life in New York. Lord knows, he wouldn’t have been doing so for you. But of course, it’s a moot point now that the job fell through but… Well going away to a new place where you don’t have to answer to anyone but yourself is for your own good, Justin. 


We’ve all had to go away from home, to find ourselves and our circle of friends. You can’t honestly think that the friends you’ve appropriated are yours. I mean, sure, we all care about you; about what happens to you, but at the base of it all, Brian is what joins us to you. Now that’s no way to live, right? Knowing that you’ll never really fit in with us because of your age and lack of experience isn’t going to make you happy, right? 


No. The Justin Taylor I know needs to have his own experiences; he’s fearless! He needs to explore the world and grow from it. You’re an adventurer at heart, Justin. It’s time that you go off and find out all that could mean to you in the long run, and California is a great place to begin doing that. Just think- a new town, a new breed of boys around your own age to experiment with… Oh, the world is waiting with wide open arms, ready to teach you and nurture you. It will surely be worth leaving Brian behind to explore those hidden depths within yourself.


So you need to call me so that we can talk about what you can expect from the program and the job. I’ve been in touch with my contacts there in California, and they said you have yet to contact them. That’s pretty childish of you, don’t you think? To throw away your future simply because you don’t agree with what I arranged for you? I mean, I doubt that Brian wouldn’t throw you aside as fast as he could if he were in your position, so why are you showing him such loyalty when it comes to making a life for yourself? 


After all, Brian has had years to make his own way in the world. He has a son, he has his own friends… I’m your friend too Justin, even if you appropriated me through Brian. And as your friend, I’m telling you that Brian will never be what you want, so wasting your life waiting for him to do something that he never will is only going to end in heartbreak for you. None of us want that, now do we? 


So it’s best to just cut your losses now and move on before all of your false hopes and dreams have a chance to come back and haunt you. Let him continue to party, and work, and take care of his responsibilities here, while you go off and make a name for yourself in the art world. You can always meet someone else later who may even give you more than Brian ever could. And everyone will be happy, especially you. Come on, Justin. Call me back. Remember that I love you.


Message 3 playback: Sunshine! First, I want you to know how disappointed I am that you didn’t stick around for Mel and Lindsay’s wedding. According to Lindsay, it was the argument that she had with you, which Mel overheard, which caused it to be canceled. I don’t mind telling you that I’m thoroughly disappointed, especially considering all of the hard work and money that went into making that day happen on such short notice. 


But look, that’s not the only reason I’m calling. Lindsay told me that the reason you argued is that she arranged for you to have a job and a scholarship to school. What the hell is wrong with you that you are so UNGRATEFUL?! I’ve never known you to be like that! It can only mean that asshole must be rubbing off on you in more ways than with just his dick.


Now you listen to me, Sunshine. You take that fucking scholarship and job opportunity regardless of what HE says, and I’ll deal with Brian. The fact is that you’re too young to know when a gift horse is staring you in the face, but your mother isn’t. We don’t want Jenn to have to worry about you, especially when she’s still fighting your father about both you and Molly. So this scholarship is a godsend, especially if your father doesn’t release the money set aside for your education. 


If it’s Brian’s reaction you’re worried about, as I said, don’t be. I’ve been managing Brian for years and I know what needs to be done to get him to see reason. As for you, you don’t want to turn into his shadow, now do you? I mean, you have your whole life ahead of you, Baby. You don’t want to spend your life alone like Brian will, do you? 


Think about it, Justin and then make the right decision for yourself. And call Lindsay back; she’s really worried. Love you!


We sat there for the next few minutes, listening to the alternating messages- or more accurately HARASSMENT- of Brian and Justin, through Justin’s voicemail. With every word, I could see Deb getting angrier and more confused. But I couldn’t work out at who or what that anger was directed. Was it at herself for being so fucking gullible? Or was it at Michael and Lindsay for lying to her in the first place? 


It was hard to tell. But then again, perhaps she was mad at Justin for divulging all of their idiocy through the soundbytes. I could have told her just how cunning my son was, and that he wouldn’t erase a voice message until it had served its purpose. In this case, it was to expose the true motives of his hidden nemesis and his greedy cohort-in-Cuntry. As for my part, Lindsay and Michael better not even think to cross paths with me anytime soon. 


Because if they do, or if I’m called in like I was tonight by Vic, I’ll definitely be waiting for both of them with verbal barrels blazing. And that especially goes for Ms. Peterson! 


“So Vic was right then?” she asks, despairingly.


“About what, exactly?” I ask, a little perturbed and confused at the switch back to the argument that resulted in me being here. I was waiting for her to try to excuse her behavior again so that I could slap some sense into her.


“About Michael being sent back here permanently.”


Vic answered her then. “Yes. David was more than ready to be done with Michael. And after listening to the voicemail messages that Michael in particular, had left for Justin, can you blame him?”


“But how would David know about them?”


“How dense can you be?!” I explode before Vic has a chance to tell her the whole of it. “Obviously, he called my son for confirmation of what he’d either heard or been told. It was no secret- at least not to any of us- that Hank Cameron had no use for Michael. Whereas Michael is into comic books, Hank is interested in business even at his age. That sets the two of them worlds apart, even within the scope of Michael having been his stepfather in a sense. But as a result of that disparity in interests and goals, Hank’s developed a kind of mentorship with Justin. I can’t think of a better role model for the young man than my son because Justin has been in business for himself for quite a while, even before meeting any of you. In fact, he has quite a few commissions coming up here in Pittsburgh.”


“And just where is Sunshine?” Debbie asks, and again my palm itches to smack her due to the snideness of her tone.


Instead, I answer her with the same regard. “With Brian in the land of Nunya, as in 'none of your business'. When they are ready to talk, they will call you. Although if I were you, I wouldn’t hold my breath too long waiting for that to happen unless there’s a definite reason for that to happen.”


Marty interrupts while looking as if watching something none of the rest of us can see. “I think that reason just happened. Vic, did you call him?”


Vic nodded his head. “Yes, and he should already be on a plane.”


“Good! Because Lindsay just crossed a line that she sure as fuck can’t uncross.”


“What the hell are you talking about?” Deb screeched.

 

Marty looked at her then with his eyes glassy, as if trying to prevent the tears from spilling over. He replies, “Nothing, except that I just felt the assault she inflicted on someone. The question is: who exactly was it?”