- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 9: WHY CAN’T WE BE FRIENDS Part 2


LINDSAY


God, there are a million things going through my mind as I sit here in my apartment… Well, MINE at least for the interim anyway. I woke up a little over two hours ago feeling like shit, but knowing that I can’t take anything to calm me or the pounding in my head until after I see Michael and Deb. I have a feeling that by the time the meeting is over, I’ll be tempted to either kill them or overdose just to escape their chronic screeching and whining. The sad thing is that it’s their normal speech pattern as opposed to just being excited. 


Oh, how I really want to cancel on them today, but time is of the essence to set the plan I’ve come up with into motion. It all started with a chance phone call to Daddy. He must not have heard it ring since even though the line was open, he never even greeted me. Instead he was talking to Mother about some botched meeting a week ago, and how even though the situation wasn’t all that ideal, it worked out because Vance and Ryder decided to partner up instead of Vance just buying the business flat out. Well, needless to say, I was elated because Ryder took my advice and offered Vance the vacant partnership slot that was originally supposed to go to Brian, based on his track record within the advertising sect. 


But if I’d allowed Brian to become a partner in the firm, he would have had even less time for me… erm GUS! Yes. All of this was done for Gus’ sake, even though I surely would have benefitted from all the attention Brian lavished on him. Anyway, as I kept listening in, I began to get more and more upset. It appears that although Brian was denied the partnership within Ryder Advertising Agency, causing Ryder and Vance to become partners instead, he STILL managed to secure a position of power as a partner in a different firm. I took a few calming breaths and tried for a modicum of patience I just didn’t feel.


As I listened to Daddy outline the terms of Ryder and Vance’s agreement, the fact that Brian wasn’t going to be there didn’t seem all that bad, since all I would have to do is get the new owner’s ear and cause trouble for Brian in such a way that he would realize he should just do what I want at all times instead of thinking for himself. It’s a method I have always used on him and Melanie so that they would always remember what would happen if they stepped outside of my plans for them, and it usually worked like a charm. They would often end up thinking twice and second-guessing themselves so that they could avoid whatever drama I could manage to come up with next, therefore keeping all of their attention and focus on me, where it belonged. So at first, I felt that I could relax a bit until I could formulate a new plan using my father’s connections within the advertising sect again. After all, it’s how I managed to get Vance and Ryder into talking about him buying Martin out of the firm in the first place in order to force Brian to stay here in Pittsburgh as opposed to seeking employment in New York again without my approval. 


But then Mother just had to ask what the name of the new firm was and where it was located. She thought that perhaps the information could be used to open up a new avenue of business for Daddy. And I thought, great idea, Mother, since it would mean that Daddy would have even more money, and no excuse not to supply me with it. However, when Daddy said the name Diamond Platinum Advertising Associates, I nearly screamed my horror and frustration aloud. HOW THE FUCK DID BRIAN MANAGE TO GET A PARTNERSHIP IN THE SAME FIRM I INTENDED FOR JUSTIN TO FLOUNDER IN?!?!?! 


I continued to listen as Daddy informed Mother of all that happened in that accursed meeting, including the fact that it was Justin Taylor’s art concept that had won the account of Liberty Airlines. But what rankled the most was hearing the vast amount of money Vance and Ryder actually had to pay Justin for the continued use of the artwork, whose rights reverted back to him upon Brian’s voluntary termination from the company. It turns out that while I was trying to get rid of fucking Justin, Dee and DeMarcus were looking for the Creative Crack that created the ad which is sure to be a Clio Award winner next year; something Dee and DeMarcus never even gave a hint to. As a result, my plan to extricate Justin from all of our lives delivered him right into their hands. But that’s not even the worst part! 


When Daddy stated that Brian and Justin are now being referred to as the world of Advertising’s Dream Team, I wanted to scream and pulverize my phone in the most vicious way. It means that no matter what I say; no matter what innuendo I may put around town and in the atmosphere of the art and advertising world, no one- and I mean, NO FUCKING ONE- is going to do anything to allienate either one of them. Admittedly, individually Brian and Justin are unbelievably talented. So much so that it’s been a quiet source of contention within myself for awhile now, but no matter how much I’ve tried to stop the feelings of inadequacy, remembering that I gave birth to Gus whereas Justin can’t do that, those thoughts and feelings have never been too far away from the front of my psyche. But now that they will be working together on a regular basis, Brian and Justin just became untouchable


No one is going to risk their own business reputations to disparage Brian and Justin’s professional characters. No one is going to follow any edicts or advice I give as someone who knows each of their weaknesses. No one is going to help me to dismantle the stronghold they are about to put on the industry just by being paired together, as evidenced by Liberty Air’s success over the last four months. All of my carefully erected plans have just gone to hell in a handbasket simply because Dee and DeMarcus wanted to acquire the geniuses who put together one of the most conceptually forward-thinking ads to ever grace a television screen. This was NOT supposed to happen this way!


HOW DARE THEY DEFY ME?! They were NOT supposed to have any contact once Justin took his fucking ass across the country! Brian was NOT supposed to follow him! And what’s even more troubling is the news that Brian AND Justin have been in California for the last several weeks, setting up THEIR office space and staff! Which sadly explains why he has deemed to shut me out of his life by not returning any of my calls and emails. 


But by now, I’m certain that Brian has arrived, and… Oh my God! My heart feels like it’s being stomped on. No doubt, Melanie has told him some fabricated tale to absolve her of any responsibility for what she made me do. I have to find a way to make him understand that I wasn’t in my right mind; that I was so sick with worry for him since he lost Justin to the glitz and glamor of Los Angeles. But that’s not true at all, is it? 


No. Instead, Brian has obviously decided that he’d rather be with Justin than have anything further to do with me, despite the fact that I gave birth to his son. And now that he’s back… I have to get to Debbie so that she can talk to Joan TODAY. No way will they allow Brian to shut me out of his life, especially because I have Gus. Both of them believe wholeheartedly in the divine right of mothers, and wouldn’t condone me not being a part of Gus’ life regardless of what I’ve done to him.


And while I’m getting dressed, I think it’s time for me to be proactive in contacting Craig Taylor as well. I think I just might have an offer that he won’t be able to refuse. After all, part of the issue with Jennifer is that Craig was cheating on her with Barbie-wannabes who were close in age to Justin. So what would happen if he were to get involved with a mature woman- one with the same breeding as Jennifer herself? What would happen if Molly’s new stepmother was someone who was better suited to him and his needs? 


But more importantly, what would happen if Craig got involved with a woman who knew Brian and Justin’s every dirty little secret and would be able to talk to the judge on his behalf, in order for the control of Justin’s inheritance to remain in his hands? Yes… Craig Taylor and I definitely have some things to speak about. But first things first: it’s time to play the injured mother for little Gus’ sake. Hopefully, I will be able to give a performance worthy of Faye Dunaway.   


DEBBIE


I walk into work, kind of pissed that I wasn’t able to catch Joan at home. At first, I thought the most effective way to have a conversation over my concern for Gus was in the privacy of her own home. But after arriving there and finding the house empty, I thought that maybe it was Divine intervention to have it at Mass instead. After all, there were only so many ways Joan could be her usually rude self in the house of God. That’s when I really started to get concerned.


It was the rarest of absolute rare occasions that Joan Kinney would ever miss a chance to attend church. I mean, even when that ol’ abusive bastard, Jack, finally went to occupy his place in hell, Joanie was front and center in the pews. In retrospect, she was probably thanking God for deliverance. But again, there were very few instances that I can recall where my infrequent visits within the sanctuary heralded the absence of Joan Kinney. I can’t even imagine what could have possibly happened that kept Joan away.


So, while making my way to the Diner, I decided to call Brian. He should be made aware that his mother was essentially M.I.A. Maybe he could climb his ass out of hiding long enough to check on her. After all, he owed it to her to make sure that she was alright. And I would want someone to make sure my Michael did the same for me, even though I doubt anyone would have to tell him to.


And that’s the fundamental difference between Brian and my son. I listened to the witch hunt Vic and Jen tried to burn my son, myself, and Lindsay with last night, and honestly, I still can’t see that we were doing anything wrong. Sometimes, this life and all its interactions call for a big dose of tough love, and that especially has always gone for one man named Brian Kinney. True, there were times that Brian helped us out, but it was always after he was forced to do it. He never just selflessly gave of himself to people like my Michael does.


No! Instead, Brian expected to be begged to bail us out. There were times that I had to literally threaten his balls to help Michael out of a jam that was essentially Brian’s fault that he ended up mired in in the first place. ‘You got him into this shit, so YOU GET HIM OUT OF IT’, I would yell at him, and then leave, knowing that Brian would get his head out of his ass to see Michael happy. It’s what he owed me for all the times me and Michael allowed him to hide out at our house when Jack and Joan were on their rampages. 


Now that’s not to say that I don’t love Brian; just that he needs to be reminded often that one hand washes the other and I expect him to be the metaphorical soap where Michael is concerned. Michael has always made it a point to take care of Brian, so it’s time for him to return the many favors he owes my son. The fact that Michael is heartbroken over the breakup with David should be to the forefront of Brian’s mind, not the next trick to suck his dick. Now that Sunshine should be gone, I see no reason why Brian shouldn’t be able to set aside his own wants for a change and see to Michael’s needs!


After placing my purse into the locker within the storeroom, I head back out into the main area. Thankfully, Tony arranged for me to begin my shift after the breakfast rush this morning. There’s no telling the chaos this morning would have brought. And honestly, I just wasn’t in the mood to hear the lamentations of Gay P.A. because the supposed Kings are missing in action; I’m still not. Who knew that Sunshine could be lumped into the same category as Brian when it comes to hedonism!


Yes, I’ve heard all about Jag’s escapades with Brian and Justin in California. Brian should be ashamed of himself, corrupting and encouraging Sunshine to conduct himself like that! It’s just another thing in a long list that I WILL be speaking to him about. Instead of Brian keeping an eye on Sunshine, he’s allowing him to run wild and fuck everything that moves. Well, I will happily put a stop to that shit! 


With Justin’s looks, he should be wholesome, just like my Michael is, and not want to be remembered as one of the whores of Babylon. Taking that opportunity in California is going to give my sweet Sunshine a new start, which is what he needs to cleanse himself of Brian’s influence. He won’t have to fuck anyone just for gaining and keeping the attention of that asshole anymore. Instead, I think that Lindsay and Michael are right, that Justin will find someone more suited to him and his needs than Brian ever will be. He’s been through so much already in his young life; he should have a chance for real love, without having to fuck indiscriminately to get it.


And as for King Kinney himself, perhaps now that Michael and David aren’t meant to be as I’d hoped, he will finally see the gem he has in my Michael. No one else could possibly understand or love Brian as completely as my son does. It’s time that Brian settles down, and I can’t think of anyone more suited for him to do that with than Michael. Besides, he’s always promised to take care of Michael, and what better way to do that than as his ONLY lover. Originally, I will admit that I didn’t want them to be together, but I want Michael to have everything he wants. 


And he’s earned his chance with Brian, even if I would have preferred someone else. Michael definitely deserves so much better.


“What are you thinking about so hard over there?” I hear from behind me. It took a moment to realize that he was talking to me.


“Nothing much, Emmett. Just absorbed in my thoughts about everything, I guess,” I answer back.


“I’ll say, since you’ve now refilled the sugar container with salt.” He snickers, even as I look down to see that he’s right. Handing me the correct bag of sugar, he says, “I wouldn’t worry about it too much, Deb. We all have an off day every now and again. So seriously, what’s up?”


I sigh as I pour the salt into an empty bowl from under the counter, and began pouring sugar- correctly this time. Honestly, with how distant Emmett and Ted have been with me lately I don’t know if I can really trust him with the truth of my thoughts. It seems that every single time Brian and Justin have been brought up since they went on vacation, Ted and Em have felt the need to defend them to me. There wasn’t an excuse they could give me to justify Brian and Justin not calling me back, and yet they wouldn’t back down in their stance that Brian and Justin are right in their actions. The last time resulted in them not coming in here for a few days; I suppose it was allowing cooler heads to prevail, as Ted told me.


“So I hear you have a new roommate,” I say, still debating whether or not I could trust Emmett.


“Why, yes I do! Living with Daphne has been so exciting in a way.”


“Exciting? And what the hell do you mean by allowing her to move in without talking to me about it?!”


Emmett narrowed his eyes in puzzlement at first, before tilting his head at me and answering, “You know, that’s the second time it’s been implied that I should have checked with you before I make any decisions. What’s funny is that I’ve never noticed just how much it’s been expected from each of us, and that you actually believe you have the right to micromanage each of our lives…”


“Emmett…”


“No, Deb. I love you, but I think you really need to hear this,” He releases a long sigh before continuing. “Deb, while we all appreciate your support and love in ways that our own families couldn’t- or wouldn’t- provide, you have to realize that with the exception of Michael, we are ALL grown men who are capable of making our own decisions. With the exception of Michael, we have no need to talk an idea to death until we are so exhausted of it that we no longer have an interest in implementing said idea. Unlike Michael, we don’t have a tendency to rely on others to make a decision for us, all the while looking for a scapegoat when or if the thing we tried failed…”


“Michael doesn’t do that!”


“Sure he does, Sweetie, even though you refuse to hear or believe it.” Emmett shifted into the seat in front of me at the counter where I was filling another sugar jar. “Tell me, Deb. What reason did Michael give you for being sent home permanently?”


I shake my head, still disbelieving Vic and Jenn’s tale of David’s kicking Michael out permanently. “Michael is just visiting. He told me so. He’s just visiting. Michael…” I trailed off at the brisk shake of Emmett’s head.


“No, Deb. He was SENT home. David found out the real reason that Michael was so hellbent on getting Justin away from Brian. And all I can say is that Michael has some mouth on him, Deb. I mean, how many ways can a person wrongly call someone a gold-digging whore, and then say that they didn’t mean it?”


“Michael was just upset…”


“Michael was just being a mean-spirited bully, as per usual!” Daphne gritted out. Both Emmett and I turned around, not even having heard her come in.


“When did you get here?” I ask, narrowing my eyes at her. 


It’s because of little Miss Daphne Chanders that Michael arrived at my house upset last night, because he couldn’t stay with Emmett. Someone really needs to remind her that she really has no business living with a man who isn’t her father or brother at her age. It doesn’t matter that Emmett is queerer than a three dollar bill; it’s just not right! Perhaps I can have a talk with her parents, too. No way should they condone this!


“It doesn’t matter when I got here, just that I AM here. And not a moment too soon either, since no doubt you are about to defend your baby again.” She sighs deeply before addressing me again. “Deb, when will you ever learn? If everyone is saying the same thing about your boy, then there has to be some truth to it.”


“No there isn’t! People are just jealous of Michael’s relationship to Brian, and…”


“Let me guess… Michael is just misunderstood, right? I mean, how is it that everyone else is having the same collective misunderstanding while you continue to live in denial? The bottom line is that Michael needs to walk a chalk line with me, otherwise the carnage I’ll make of him will leave no doubts as to just the type of person he really is.”


“Are you threatening my son?” I step around the counter, advancing in an attempt to crowd her space.


Instead of backing down as she ought to have done, Daphne takes a step forward to meet me in the middle of my next step. Her eyes narrowed at me, as she responded through gritted teeth. “Where I come from, we don’t make threats, Deb; we promise. And believe me, we also don’t intimidate easily, so my advice to you is that you back up right now.”


“And what makes you think that I should listen to you, little girl?” I ask. Before I could even stop myself from doing so, I am already pointing my red fingernail into her face. Once again, instead of bowing her head, Daphne holds my eyes steady. God! Between her and Sunshine, it’s no wonder they’re best friends. Justin just lifts his head higher, as well.


“Ah, Deb. I think you should probably do as she says,” Tony advises, as he comes out of the back office.


“What for? It’s not like I’m really going to lay a finger on her… well, unless it’s warranted, which if she keeps being disrespectful, I’ll happily remedy. I’ll just consider my civic duty for her parents’ sake.”


“Be that as it may, it wouldn’t be wise, Deb.”


“Well why not? She wants to act like a little bitch, it should be allowed that I treat her as I would one.”


“Because Daphne here is your boss; as in she’s part owner of this Diner. So I would think self-preservation would mean more to you than getting even for her speaking the truth to you. Wouldn’t you?” Tony asked, a little too smugly for my tastes, even as the words he uttered are beginning to register.


Boss? Part owner? What the hell?! “Is this true?” I ask, looking back and forth between Daphne and Tony. I can't help but feel a little betrayed that I wasn't even offered a chance to own a part of the place I'd worked in longer than Daphne has been alive!


“Indeed it is,” Daphne smiles. “Deb, you should know that there is a reason that we- as in me and Justin- NEVER intimidate easily. It’s because we know who and what we are at all times. And we always come prepared. In this case, it’s all about power… and it’s about time for you to realize that in this Diner, you have NONE.”

 

Oh fuck!