- Text Size +
THIS MESS WE'RE IN

At the apartment above the garage, Nathan was getting dressed. He looked up to see his father pop his head around the door, "Hey, are you getting up?"

Nathan nodded, "I'm going out..."

Patrick was surprized to hear of that, "What? Today? But it's Leo's birthday..."

Nathan laughed it off, "He's one! It's not like he's gonna miss me...or that he's my real brother"

"He's your half brother"

Nathan grabbed his cell phone and wallet from the bedside unit, "I don't care, I've got better things to do this weekend"

Patrick sighed. He knew where this was leading to, "Oh I see, you just want to go see this Brian"

"So what if I do? What's it got to do with you Dad? I am so fed up with people thinking they know what's best for me"

Patrick stopped him from leaving the bedroom, "Look, you are my son and I WANT what's best for you...I am not about to apologize for my dislike of your friendship with this older man"

Nathan threw his arms in the air in frustration, "He' 42! The same age as Uncle Brad", he really couldn't see the problem. Patrick was just about to air his concerns when Nathan's cell rang. Nathan put it to his ear.

"Hey Josh...yeah...I was just on my way...yeah I'll meet you there", he glanced up at his father, " I'm gonna be late, don't wait up"

Patrick stood aside and let his son go down the stairs nearly forcing Rhona up against the wall as they passed. She thumbed back, "Hey, where is he going?"

Patrick sighed, "He's not staying for the party"

Rhona didn't look to phased to learn of that, "That's too bad...but I don't think Leo will mind"

"They are half brothers", Patrick insisted.

Rhona shook her head as she collected up the dirty laundry basket, "So? It's a good thing when Leo gets older, Nathan would have long moved on...he's a bad influence"

Xxxx

Josh and Nathan walked up the street to the sauna, "You get some real hot guys in there, this time of day", informed Josh.

Nathan looked at the sauna across the street on the corner, then pressed call on his phone again. Josh pulled a face at him, "are you STILL trying to get hold of HIM? Did you even listen to me the other night? Haven't you learned anything about the other night, period?"

Brian's phone just kept on going over to voicemail, "I have to tell him about Justin? What Danny and Stu told me"

"They are drama queens"

"look, if you are gonna be like this, then fuck off...I don't need friends like you", he walked away across the street. Josh shook his head at him and went along his way into the opposite direction.

Xxxx

Josh was in Woody's bar. He had spotted Danny and Stu going in and followed them inside. Up at the bar Josh was served his drink and then he went over to where Danny and Stu were sitting.

Danny looked up, "Yes?"

Josh looked down at him, "Why are you making out that it was Justin's idea to get himself punched in the face by Nathan? Nathan told me what you said to him"

"It's true! Justin hates Nathan hanging around like a bad smell, his words not mine"

"I was there...I saw it happen, and it looked like Nathan was aiming at you Danny...it looked like Justin just got in the way when you ducked for cover"

Danny glanced at Stu and Josh laughed, "I can read your faces like a book, Justin won't thank you for this"

Stu stood, "look...Nathan would have belted Danny...I was trying to protect him from that thug"

"Yeah...and when Justin hears the truth, I'm sure it will be HIM taking a swipe at you two...the truth always comes out in the end"

Danny and Stu watched Josh walk off, Stu sat back down and glared at Danny, "this is not going to plan, if Justin finds out about our little fabricated number, then we're out the picture"

Danny shook his head, "then we make sure that Nathan really believes that Justin hates him"

"How?"

"We'll go to Babylon tomorrow night...Nathan will sure's as hell be there...he'll be looking for Brian"

"But they are away", Stu reminded him.

"Yeah...but HE doesn't know that, does he..."

Xxxxx

About three hours after Pittsburgh had finished breakfast, LA was just starting out. Sat on the sun terrace of the beach house, Jennifer and Cole had joined Brian and Justin for breakfast.

"So Brian, is the beard growth a 'new thing'?", asked Jennifer pouring herself an orange juice.

Brian was checking up on the financial markets in the newspaper, "No Jennifer, it's just a 'can't be bothered to shave'"

Justin laughed as he finished up his coffee, "Yeah...and with all that gray, it is so coming off when we get back"

Cole stood and looked at Justin, "A man with graying hair is a sign of real authority, that's what my business teacher used to tell me"

Brian smirked whilst having his eyes fixed to the newspaper, what a prize jerk, but it was amusing to listen to.

Cole kissed Jennifer and looked up, "I'll catch you guys sometime...good talking to you Brian, have a safe flight home back to dull old Pittsburgh"

Jennifer watched him go and looked at her son, "...and that's later today, huh? When's your flight?"

Justin leaned back in his chair and looked disappointed at the thought of going home, "Not till six, we've got ages yet"

Brian folded up the newspaper and removed his specs and looked at both of them, "I just hope that my new big client hasn't deserted me"

"WHY would they? You're the best", cried Justin.

Brian looked more than smug at the thought of that, "Well...there is that"

Jennifer stood and collected up the breakfast things, "So Brian, did Cole talk to you about how well the profit margins are doing? I think you've made a really good investment in us, huh?"

Brian downed the last dregs of his black coffee and broke into a smile, thinking how boring Cole was...boring, but he did know his business which is a good thing, but he certainly wasn't going to let him get all the credit for a successful turnover, "He did...and I'm SURE that my advertising campaign centered around it, played a massive part in it's success"

"Yes...it did"

Brian stood and stretched then looked down at Justin ruffling his blonde hair, "Right...better get our stuff packed...", Justin looked disappointed, so Brian made a kindly suggestion, " ...look, why don't I do the packing, and you spent the time left with hanging out with your Mom"

Justin broke into a grin, "Thanks..."

Brian shook his head and went inside, Jennifer poured herself a final coffee from the pot and looked up, "I'm sorry to hear the wedding is off"

Justin lowered his voice, just in case Brian could hear them from inside the beach house, "It's not off...it's just, delayed I guess"

Jennifer raised her eyebrows, "How long do you think you'll have to wait this time for him to be ready?"

Justin could see Brian inside at the closet throwing stuff into a flight bag, "As long as it takes for him to be ready..."

Xxxx

Brian and Justin arrived back in Pittsburgh at 2am. And it was past 3 when they were finally at the loft.

"Home sweet home", Justin breathed.

Brian dropped the flight bags next to him, "I feel fucked"

Justin pulled the blinds back open and turned, "I know how you feel, we both could use a shower"

Brian was rubbing his cheek and looked up to him smiling, "Now that sounds very favorable"

As Justin breezed past the phone, he saw the red LED light flashing, "Hey...somebody's left a message..."

Brian heaved the bags up onto the couch and waved it off, "Probably somebody trying to sell us some shit"

Justin plays the message,

"This is the Ontario police department. I have this number listed to a Brian Kinney. Would you please call me back on this number 555 35 2560 and ask for Stephanie Adamsky...it's about your son"

Brian came forward, "What the fuck...?", he patted his pockets down, "... My cell phones been dead for most of the weekend after I left the charger on the aircraft"

Justin handed him the landline phone, "Just call her back on that..."

Brian pressed the re-call option and waited as it rang back, and then somebody answered, "Yeah, hi...erm...I know it's kinda late but could I speak to a Stephanie..."

Brian looked at Justin, "...Adamsky", the blonde told him.

"Stephanie Adamsky? She's not in her office...what time does she start? I'm returning her call, she left me a message...MY name? Brian Kinney...", there was a pause, Justin frowned at him,

"What's going on?"

Brian met his look, "They are gonna see if somebody else is...hello, yes this is Mr Kinney...WHAT? When? Huh? Is he hurt? What about...? Look, forget it, I'll be on the next available flight"

Brian chuckled the phone onto the couch and Justin grabbed his arm concerned.

"Brian? What's going on? Is Gus okay?"

Brian shook him off and was tipping out the contents of one of the flight bags onto the floor, "I have to fly to Toronto...Lindsay and Melanie have been in a car crash...they wouldn't tell me all the details, but Lindsay is on life-support"

Justin was wide-eyed, "and Gus?"

Brian ran a hand through his floppy hair, "he was in the car, but he's not hurt..."

Justin pressed him, "Do you need for me to come with you?"

Brian shook his head, "No...you stay here...I'm gonna jump on the next flight to find out what the fucks going on"

Justin was taking charge and pushed Brian towards the bathroom, "Look...you grab a shower and wake yourself up a bit...I'll start looking up some flights"

As Brian closed the bathroom door, Justin sat at the computer waiting for it to boot up. What the fuck had happened in Toronto? Lindsay on life-support? Gus was not hurt, but what about Mel? Was she okay...?

At the last the computer had logged on and Justin went to look up Flights to Toronto...

Xxxx

At Liberty Diner the next day, Justin had informed everybody of what was happening.

"Ohhh how shocking!", cried Debbie reeling at the news.

Michael turned to him as he drank his coffee, "Have you heard anything?"

Justin shrugged, "Only that he got there okay"

Debbie sunk to her seat next to the cash register and sighed deeply, "Oh, hearing something like this makes my blood run cold, I can tell you"

Michael was mulling it over, "So Lindsay's on life-support? What about Melanie?

Justin shook his head, "they didn't tell Brian last night...I guess when he calls me, we'll know more"

All went quiet. Justin stood up and finished off his drink and made to go, "look, I'll keep you guys posted, I've got some things to catch up on, catch you guys later"

Justin stepped out of the diner and bumped straight into Nathan on the street outside.

"Nathan...hi"

Nathan glared at the sight of him, "Hi? Is that all you have to say?"

Justin was puzzled, "What? You've lost me..."

Nathan was really digging into him now, like he knew his biggest secret, "Oh, stop pretending to like me...you HATE me...why couldn't you just admit it rather than just lie to me"

Justin just wanted to get home, he was eager to hear the latest from Brian when he called, "Nathan, I really don't know what you are talking about...and really, I haven't got time for all this"

Nathan caught hold of Justin's sleeve as he passed by, "Does Brian know all about your twisted little plan?"

"Where the fuck did that come from?"

Nathan let go of him and shook his head, "Like YOU don't know! Like butter wouldn't melt. But you're not so clever as you think...with friends like yours, who needs enemies...", and with a certain air of smugness, Nathan walked off down the street.

Justin screwed his face up in puzzlement, "What?"

Xxxx

Nathan crossed the street and went up to Brian and Justin's building. He pressed the buzzer, but there was no answer. Brian wasn't in.

He sighed and looked at his watch, then decided he must be at Woody's or someplace.

As he entered the bar he caught sight of Danny and Stu. He was about to go over but he stopped when he heard his name mentioned.

"Nathan is so stupid...he believed your every word", laughed Danny with his cocktail in front of him.

Stu laughed with him, "I know...I really can't believe that guys like him still exist. Talk about clueless"

Nathan saw red.

"And to think he thinks it was ALL Justin's idea!", they both laughed at his expense.

Nathan stepped forward, "You pair of fucking liars!"

Stu nearly choked on his drink. Danny stood up, "Hey...if there is any kind of trouble, then I'm calling the cops"

Nathan laughed at him, "You think I'm stupid? Well, think again...I'm not about to do anything silly now, am I?"

Stu rolled his eyeballs at him, "You are so tiresome"

Nathan leaned forward, "You two are the stupid ones...I bet Justin don't know what you are both like...call yourselves friends of his, and drop him in the shit when it suits"

"He won't believe a word of yours, over us", sneered Danny.

"We'll see...", and with that he was gone.

Danny turned, "Do you think Justin will listen to him?"

"I don't know, but I'm not about to be thrown out of the picture on this gay scene...I've got idea...drink up"

Xxxxx

Outside Brian's building, Danny and Stu crossed the street and saw the lights were on in the loft so they had to be fast.

It was a moonless night, so the darkness around the back of the building was a plus. Danny pointed, Justin's VW beetle was up ahead in a parking bay.

"be quick", hissed Danny.

Stu grabbed the brick and then shoved it through the windshield. It smashed and landed on the drivers seat inside.

Danny then broke the rear lights.

"It's not even alarmed?"

Danny shrugged, "More fool Justin...but it's good for us...he'll think Nathan did this...with a few good planted seeds from us when he finds out"

And with, that they both disappeared into the night.

XXxxxx