- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Short and sweet chapter.
ONE WEEK LATER...

At the garage, Nathan was full of praise for his father at the sight of the refurbished VW beetle, "Wow Dad, the car looks great!"

Patrick shook his head as he wiped down the shine of the car, "Yeah, the glazier put in the windshield this morning, but it will be at cost as well, with the tail lights in all, it's gonna get expensive"

Nathan knew that wasn't going to come out of Justin's pocket, "I'm sure he'll be able to afford it"

Brad was then jumping out of the pick up truck and nodded towards the beetle as he approached them, "So...I see the VW has been fixed up...I hate to think what our other customers are gonna say, when they hear that they were shoved to the back of the line"

"That won't be a problem, because nobody is going to tell them", told his brother.

Patrick then turned to his boy, "So...you better call this friend of yours and get this picked up"

"I will dad, thanks"

Xxxxx

At the loft, Justin crawled back into bed after a visit to the bathroom, "He's in there again playing on the games console"

Brian was sitting up in bed going through some notes for work, "I know...that's all he seems to be interested in since we got back last week"

Justin pulled the covers around him and looked up at him, "Have you spoken to him about the funeral?"

Brian still read his notes as he spoke, "No...Lindsay's gonna be buried here, so...it'll be local"

Justin licked his lips, "And...what happens with Gus? I really hate to say it, but this situation isn't pretty much ideal"

Brian blew out a chuckle, "tell me about it"

"I love Gus to bits, you know that...but...this place is just not big enough"

Brian closed up his file and removed his glasses, he looked at Justin, "I know...how can I provide a home here already? Forget about providing him a bedroom, he hasn't even got a bed"

Justin didn't know if he should interfere, "I was sorta suggesting that..."

Brian tilted his head, "Go on..."

"We could get a bigger place...someplace with two bedrooms", Justin said with a smile.

Brian didn't look to impressed, "I'm not good with upheaval...I like this place"

"I know"

Brian rolled out of bed, and pulled off his checkered pajama bottoms, "I've got it how I like it"

Justin sat up, "I know you have...but it's just decor...we can do that anywhere we go...we could also let Gus choose how he likes his room done out...what do teenagers like these day?", he wondered.

Brian was pulling on a vest, "Fuck knows...I was actually not thinking about any of all that"

Justin screwed his face up, "Huh?"

Brian made for a shirt in the closet and pulled it out on the hanger, "I was thinking about Lindsay's folks...they've got that great big house...all those rooms...all that money...all those memories, maybe the best place for Gus is to be with them"

Unexpected. Justin didn't know what to say to that, "What? You don't mean that? Do you?"

Brian grabbed up his towel, readying himself for his shower, "I don't know what I mean at the moment...I better get ready for work"

Justin shook head in complete puzzlement, he slipped out of bed and pulled on a pair of jeans, he could hear Brian say, "Feet off the couch and switch that thing off"

"Why! This place is SOOOOO BORING!", cried Gus's voice.

"If you don't like it, then go and bore off someplace else Huh?", and the bathroom door slammed shut.

Justin slumped back on the bed and shook his head in despair, "this was getting worse..."

Xxxxx

Later, Justin and Gus were at the diner. Debbie slid the chocolate flavored milkshake over the counter, "There you go honey...with extra choc chips"

So not bothered, Gus took the milkshake and slumped into one of the booths plugged in to his music.

Debbie pulled a face, "Crikey...what did I say?"

Justin shrugged, "You don't have to say much to get that attitude...he's at that age"

Debbie laughed, "well, for some of us, it's way too long ago to remember"

Justin sighed, "I just don't know what Brian's gonna do about him"

Debbie was all ears, "What do you mean?"

Justin looked at Gus who was oblivious that they were talking about him, "I thought he was gonna be staying with us...but it seems Brian might have other plans"

"Oh? Like what?"

Justin met her look, "like...packing him off to Lindsay's folks"

Debbie very much doubted that would work, "Really? Well, by the mood that boy's in, they won't last five minutes dealing with a needy and troubled teenager"

Justin shrugged, "Well, Brian's his father...what can I do...", His cell was then ringing out, "...oh wait a sec...", he put it to his ear, "Hey Nathan...it's ready...great. Now? Okay...look, let me just get hold of Brian and I'll let you know when"

Debbie looked up, "Problems?"

Justin looked pleased, "At least somethings going right, my car's finally been fixed up"

"Did you ever get to the bottom of all that?"

He shook his head as he pressed call to Brian, "No...well...it's a work in progress, lets just say that...hey Brian, my car's ready...he didn't say how much...you're collect it? Great...Gus?", he glanced over at him, "...yeah...Gus is doing real fine..."

Xxxxx

At the garage, Nathan was finishing his sandwich, Patrick came out of the office and pointed to the VW still on the forecourt, "Hey, son, when is your friend picking up the classic?"

Nathan looked up, "He said he is picking it up in this morning...or Brian will"

"Brian?"

Nathan laughed, "Yes dad, didn't I say? Justin and Brian are together, so you don't have to worry about me getting it on with an older guy, huh?"

Patrick would be lying if he wasn't a bit relieved to hear of that, "Oh right..."

Just as Patrick was out of sight, Brad had been in earshot of their conversation, "So...did I hear right...Brian is gonna pick this heap of junk up?"

Nathan was amused at his uncle's face, "Yeah...why? Is it because you are gonna crap your pants when he catches sight of you"

Brad became all paranoid, "What's he said?"

"What?"

Brad narrowed his eyes at him, "You heard, what did he have to say? What has he told you?"

Nathan was eager to get back to his work, "Nothing...you are so weird. But then again with you so far in the closet, weird is all you are gonna be"

His uncle watched him start work on an engine nearby, he then looked towards the beetle and broke into a sly smile, "It's been 25 years too long and over due, but I'll fix Brian...don't you fucking worry"

Xxxxx

An hour later, Brian jumped out of the cab and it drive off. He then approached the proprietor of the joint that he knew was Nathan's dad.

"So...how much do I owe you", Brian asked as he nodded towards the car.

"Just call it 500", said Patrick eyeing him.

"Great job"

Brian paid the man and looked across to Brad as he pocked his wallet, "Ohhh Hey, Brad, how are you on this fine bright morning?"

Brad tipped his cap, "Kinney"

Brian pointed to the car, "Great job, by the way, knew I could count on you"

There was a growing smirk on Brad's face, "Yeah...I hope you like the result"

Patrick watched Brad walk inside then turned to Brian who was about to jump into the car, "What is it about you and my brother...I know you and him were at High school together...but he gets jittery every-time you are around"

Brian looked back at him in mock surprise, "Really? Well, I don't know about that"

Patrick licked his lips, this was a chance to ask him out right, "He gave me the impression that it was you who hit Nathan"

Brian looked annoyed at that accusation, "Oh did he? Why don't you look abit closer to home on that score Mr Maloney, like a Brad shaped fist on a Nathan shaped face"

Patrick's face instantly changed, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Brian fired up the engine and stuck his head out of the drivers window, "I'll let you work that out yourself"

He then screeched off.

Patrick watched Brad drink a bottle of water and wipe his mouth after. Was it Brad who hit his son? It didn't seem possible...but then again...

Xxxxx

At the loft, Justin and Gus entered, and the 13 year old made straight to the games console on the couch,

"Ohhhh not again! Gus you can't just play on that all day", cried Justin.

Gus rolled his eyes at Justin, he could be so dumb, "There is nothing else to do around here...what do you expect me to do"

Justin was looking about for inspiration, "I don't know...just..."

"What?"

Justin decided to cut to the crunch, "Gus...do you want to stay with us?"

Gus was sat on the couch and made ready the console to play, he looked up, "What do you mean?"

"After the funeral"

Gus laughed and waved a hand at him like it was all taken care of, "That's been all arranged...I'm staying with Saraj and his family"

This was news to him. Justin screwed his face up, " Sar...Who?"

Gus rolled his eyes again at him, like Justin should know what he was talking about, "my best friend from school in Toronto. I asked him the other day when I spoke to him on my cell, and he is so up for it..."

Justin was puzzled by his attitude, "But...wouldn't you want to be with your OWN family?"

Gus plugged the console in, and looked back at him with a face, "Who?"

"Your father for one", Justin laughed, like Gus should be the know to know.

"Really?", Gus came forward, " I may only be 13...but I can tell when a dad finds it difficult to be a father...I was just thinking when I last saw him before the accident, and it was like LAST summer!"

Justin tried to defend Brian, "We were gonna come up at last Christmas...but then the snow storm grounded all flights for 3 days"

Gus pulled a face, "You could have come after"

"He had to work"

Gus laughed. And it was not out of amusement., "Like he ALWAYS does...that Mel may have been a witch, but she got HIM right"

Justin was trying not to lose control of the conversation, "Well, we'll talk to him when he gets home then...about the future"

Gus sat back down at the console, "It's all set...now can I play my game or not? Or shall I go out with my hoodie on, and scare a few old ladies in the neighborhood"

Justin backed off, "the game will be fine"

Justin watched Gus play the game then turned and went to finish off his artwork, only to see Gus had been playing graffiti artist on the piece. Gus was a handful and needed a firm hand, but will Brian do it...

or will he just do as he seemed to have a planned, and back him off to Lindsay's folks?

Xxxx