- Text Size +
THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER

Somewhere in a gas station hundreds of miles away from Pittsburgh, a bearded gruff man was scrubbing clean his truck...

The truck driver climbed down from the front cab, and rinsed his sponge out into the bucket. He looked up and smiled, "Well, boy, that's the truck all cleaned out...thanks for your help"

Gus tipped the water away down a drain and handed the bucket to the truck driver, "That's okay...you're giving me a ride and all, it's the least I can do, huh?"

The driver looked at him and then towards the diner that was apart of the gas station, "hey...I'll tell you what, lets go get us some donuts for our breakfast...?"

Gus was up for some of that, and gave the truck driver a high five, "now you are talking!"

Xxxxx

At the hospital in Pittsburgh, Brian came out of Nathan's room and saw Patrick sitting on a chair in the clinical corridor, "We are heading off home now"

Patrick stood up and shook Brian by the hand, "Thanks again...for being with him in the ambulance, I am glad you were there for him"

Brian shook his head because he didn't want any praise, "You don't have to thank me...just go listen to your son"

Patrick sighed at him, "That's if he ever gets out of here"

Brian was somewhat dismayed to hear such a negative response, "Don't write him off, huh...the doctors are performing more tests on him tomorrow"

Patrick shook his head, "it's not that...it's his treatment...I can't pay for it"

Brian screwed his face up at him and waved a hand out in question, "You've gotta be kidding...You've got no insurance?"

Patrick felt such a fool. He shook his head and slumped back down into the plastic bucket seat, "the garage has not been doing so well of late...well, not for sometime if I'm honest...I couldn't afford the premiums and the little insurance I did take out is only enough to cover the baby"

Brian blew out a sigh, "fuck"

Patrick shrugged, "Hey...it's NOT your problem"

Brian licked his lips and mulled something over, he then sat down beside him and looked at him seriously, "No...look...let me help you out...listen.."

Xxxxx

At the gas station diner, the truck driver was watching as the woman poured out the coffee, her hair was in rollers and she glanced over at the young teenager sitting in one of the booths, "So...whose your new friend, Harry?"

Harry glanced over at Gus who was engrossed in a hand-held video game, "He hasn't told me...but I picked him up on the highway outside Pittsburgh"

The woman didn't look too surprised, this happened a lot, "a runaway?"

Harry confirmed it with a nod, "I think so Ann...he says he wants a ride to Toronto"

Ann blew out a chuckle, "That's some way off for a little boy to go alone..."

"Yeah well, while he gets stuck into his donut, call the cops will you...I don't want him running out on me"

Ann shook her head, "yes, you're right...it's lucky he ran into you Harry, heaven knows what could have happened to him"

Harry nodded towards the payphone, "Best do it now...I'll get back to him and feed him his donut"

Harry got off the bar stool and went over to the booth where Gus put down the video game and then started to tuck into the sticky chocolate topped donut. Harry sat down opposite him with one leg up barring the way out of the booth. The trucker donned cowboy boots, Gus noticed.

"So boy, how are you enjoying that?"

Gus spoke with his mouth full, "It's great...are we gonna reach Toronto today?"

Harry shook his head, "Not today kid...there's still a fair way to go yet...and my truck is old remember, it doesn't go fast like it used to...", he chuckled to himself, "...just like me, I guess"

Gus finished his donut, "I like the CB radio...it's so cool...can I have a go when we head off?"

"We'll see kid"

Ann came over with the coffee pot and refilled Harry's mug, she glanced at him, "there's your refill Harry", and she gave him a slight nod that the deed had been done.

Harry chanced a glance out of the window, but the cops wouldn't be here yet. He just had to keep up the conversation. He turned back to the boy, "So...who's in Toronto anyway? Your Mom? Your Pa?"

Gus shook his head, "Mom's dead"

Harry was sad to hear that, "Oh, I'm sorry...what about your Pa? Is he dead too?"

Gus almost laughed as he answered, "No...he's a fag"

Harry shook his head, "right...okay...", he glances at his watch and looks out the window, damn what was keeping them?

Xxxx

In Pittsburgh, Brian had told Justin what he was going to do in regards to Nathan as they approached the jeep in the parking lot, "You are PAYING for Nathan's treatment?"

Brian stopped at the jeep and turned, hand rummaging the pocket of his pants for his key, "Yeah"

Justin widened his eyes at him in surprise, "with what exactly?"

Brian clicked the button to unlock the jeep, "With my savings...", Justin was open mouthed and Brian carried on before he could utter a word, "...look, I've made a killing with my last client, so I'll get it all back, plus, we can't just abandon Nathan here with no means for him or his family to pay"

Justin climbed into the jeep and slammed the door shut, Brian gritted his teeth because he hated when he did that. Justin eyeballed him looking very mad, "That was OUR wedding account!"

Brian laughed it off and fired up the engine not looking at him, he adjusted the rear view mirror as he spoke, "and like we discussed at the beach house the other week, WE have decided to leave that for a while, remember..."

Justin became all theatrical in his actions. He sat back and waved his hands about, "just great...hey, if Nathan wasn't young, blonde and had a fucking cute tight butt, would YOU have paid out then...?"

Brian stopped at the barrier to get out the parking lot, he looked at him screwing his face up, "Justin...WHAT THE FUCK?"

Justin knew he'd over stepped the mark again...the selfish thinking Justin bubbling right to the surface again, but he just couldn't help to think it, "I'm sorry...sorry...I'm letting my mouth run away ahead of me, I guess"

Brian agreed as he turned into the street behind the traffic, "yeah you are...I think you should maybe think about what you want to say, before saying it"

Justin tried to curb his frustration, "I said I was sorry"

Brian focused on the traffic ahead, "I know", he muttered.

"Then WHY are you giving me such a hard time?"

"I didn't think I was...it's the way you interpret it...but, Nathan is a friend and I would have paid for any one of OUR friends, no matter who it was"

Justin knew that was true. Brian just had a big heart, "I know"

Brian braked in the line of traffic and was frustrated, "come on! I just want to get home...I feel, smell and look like the walking fucking dead!"

Xxxx

At the gas station diner, Gus jumped up out of his seat, "I need the bathroom"

Ann was moping a spillage up near by, she pointed to the men's room, "right over there kid and don't slip on the tiles"

Harry watched the door close and stood up, "where the fuck have the cops got to...what's the world coming to when you report a runaway kid and they take forever to get here!"

Ann shook her head and pointed, "No look"

Harry turned around and saw a police patrol car turn up and parked right outside. A cop got out and placed his cap on.

Gus was then coming out of the men's room and said, "Harry are we gonna soon be off...", he spotted the cop car outside the window, he looked at Harry feeling angry and betrayed, "You? You called them? You said you wouldn't...you promised me"

Harry shook his head feeling bad, "I had to kid...you NEED to get home, huh?"

The cop was inside approaching them with his radio and note pad in hand, "Is this the kid?"

Gus slumped into the booth feeling dejected.

When Gus refused to talk, Harry shook his head, "Yeah...it is officer"

Xxxxx

Meanwhile, Brian had finally beaten the traffic and turned into his street. It was just outside his building her saw a police patrol car parked up.

Justin gasped out at the sight of it, "Jeez! What do they want?"

Brian pulled in behind the police car on the curbside, "fuck"

Justin turned looking all concerned, "Do you think Brad's changed his mind and pressing charges to you after all?"

Brian sighed. He felt like a wreak. He was STILL wearing yesterdays clothes that were stinking and crumbled to death, his stubble was coming through and he was tired as hell, this was ALL he needed right now, he grabbed the door release, "well, there's only one way to find out"

A Cop approached him from the buildings main entrance, "Are you Mr Kinney? Brian Kinney?"

Brian was on edge and was ready for an argument with necessary, "Yeah...what's all this about? If Brad Maloney has changed his mind, I need to get inside and call my fucking lawyer!"

The cop frowned at him, "I think we are at cross-purposes sir...I am here about your son"

Justin came forward and grabbed Brian's arm, "Gus?"

XXXXXXXXXX