- Text Size +
FROM THIS MOMENT ON

Brian and Justin turned around as the cops entered the apartment, "You mean he has run away?", asked Justin.

The leading cop nodded, removing his cap,"we have just over from the Peterson residence, it seems that your son's bed has not be slept in"

"So you thought he'd be here?", mouthed Brian.

Justin grabbed his arm, "Brian calm down...", he looked at the cop, "...has he packed up his stuff?"

"Yes...have you any idea where he would go Mr...?"

"Taylor..."

"My significant other", breathed out Brian.

Brian turned with a big sigh ran a hand through his hair, "look...talking about significance, he did say he wanted to stay with some school friend in Toronto before we brought him back here"

The cop read his notes he got from The Peterson's, "After his mothers death?'

He nodded, "Ha-huh"

Justin was horrified and screwed his face up, "But how would he get to Canada...walk? He's got no money we know for a flight or a train"

Brian's face went pale and he sat on the couch with his head in his hands, the cop turned to his partner, "go and see if there are any CCTV camera on the..."

The cop was interrupted by another cop running into the apartment, "Sir...control has just had a call from up-state..."

XXXX

Gus Peterson was fuming. He had been brought to the cop-shop two hours ago, and given a tuna fish sandwich and a can of 7UP for lunch. The 13 year old looked over towards the exit as the desk sergeant was attending to a phone-call.

He could run...but how far would he get to in a town he didn't know. Damn. Why had Harry the truck driver betrayed him? He seemed okay and understood he wanted to get to Canada. Harry was a cunt. He would never trust truck drivers again.

A female detective, that he had spoken to when he was first brought in, came out from an office door and came to sit beside him.

"We matched your profile with Pittsburgh where you were picked up by the truck-driver...a missing teenager...control there has managed to contact your father"

Gus glared at her, "why did they have to call him for!"

The detective shrugged, "your grandparents have been informed too...would you like them to come and pick you up in place"

Gus nodded, "Nahhh...they are gonna be real mad at me...I'll take my chances with dad"

"Well, as I said...he's on his way"

Gus sat back in the seat and tapped his kicker boots on the floor annoyingly. The detective stood and pulled back her red hair, "Gus, can I ask WHY you ran away from home?"

"I told you"

"Yes, you told me earlier that you wanted to get to this family in Canada...but there must be a reason...did your grandparents do something to you?"

Gus looked up at her, "You mean did they abuse me? Did they hit me or did grandpa try to stick is dick my ass...then NO they didn't"

The detective had to laugh, "Boy...you cut to the chase, huh?"

"I'm not lying you know...my grandparents are cool...sorta...they are just a bit old fashioned and treat me like a kid of the 1970's, like a zillion years ago"

"I was a kid in the 70's"

"Yeah...like I said, a zillion years ago"

The detective nodded, "So...that was all? You didn't want to be treated like an old fashioned kid...?"

Gus looked at her, "I wanted to play my games...I wanted to use my cell, but they said no...I wanted to go play outside and they said no..."

"but we all have rules as a kid"

Gus laughed, "rules are meant to be broken"

The detective nodded at that, "maybe some...look...what about your father...how does he treat you"

"He wouldn't treat me like an old fashioned kid, because like you, he was one...but...he's always out working and when he's not he's screwing around with Justin or some-other guy"

"Your father is gay?"

"Yeah...he likes to go to clubs and bars...he has no time to look after me and hey, I understand, because he only got to see me in the holidays and that...he was a part time dad without all the being responsible crap"

"Well, we'll see what he says when he gets here..."

XXXX

"They took their eyes off the ball didn't they? There was me thinking that he would be better off in their home...a big house with a whole lot of money...a sensible up-bringing that no cunt and bang the shit out of..."

Brian had been grinding on and on as he drove up the highway. Justin nodded in all the right places.

"...I know what it's like to be in a shit family where you get a bible shoved down your gob and told you have to prayer to Jesus and all that bullshit..."

"Maybe that's why he ran away?", put in Justin, "...Lindsay's folks were religious like yours...maybe all that was being shoved down his gob too"

Brian glanced at him and then back to the road, "go on...say it, because I know you are dying to...I told you so"

Justin shrugged, "I can't help being the genius in this relationship...I think we could have done a great job with him...we'd have to set down some rules...but we could have made it work"

Brian shrugged too, "I'm just not ready...he's 13...we would have to put our entire life on hold for another 5 years at least...no, maybe 8, till he's 21...jeez...do you know how old I'll be by then?"

Justin laughed, "by my genius at math, I make that 50, Mr Kinney"

Brian looked deflated, "You don't have to be a fucking genius at math to work that one out...fucking old is the answer"

Justin did understand. He knew Brian wasn't ready. And he had been honest about that right from the beginning, since they had brought Gus back. But he was sure they could make it work. Somehow. He looked at the surrounding country-side and smiled, "Wow...look at all this rolling green...just farm houses, hay barns and life stock"

Brian hinted a smile, "yep...I saw all that when I did my bike ride remember...all those years ago"

Justin bit his lip, because he really didn't know how Brian would react to this, "look...", he turned and looked at him, "...what if your cancer came back? Wouldn't you want to get to know Gus better? Spent as much time with him as you could possibly can?"

He chuckled, "Nice try"

Justin was frustrated, "Don't you even love Gus?!"

Brian screwed his face up and shot him a reply, "It's because I love him is why I am doing what I am doing for him. Protecting him from this homophobic fucking world we live in...", he glared at Justin, "...you and your bullshit gay-pride...parading up the street singing how wonderful and free life is...but it isn't...it's cruel and bitter...and full of fuckass bigots like my mother and the Petersons and Stockwell...you expect me to allow Gus to live with us through all that shit"

Justin swallowed down, "not here granted...but what if we lived somewhere else...?

Brian didn't respond this time. He was quiet. And Justin knew that he was at least thinking about it.

XXXXX

"He hasn't said much...just that he wanted to get to Toronto to see his friend", the detective said.

Brian sighed and looked down to his son sitting still, "do you know all the trouble you've caused?"

Gus looked up at him, "I just wanted to get to Toronto"

Brian sat next to him, "You could have just told me"

Gus turned, "and you would have paid for my air ticket?"

Brian wasn't going to lie, "Well no...but we could have discussed it"

Gus shrugged and looked out of the window. Brian glanced at the Justin and the detective standing nearby, then said, "was you that unhappy...living with the Peterson's? You only had to tell me..."

Gus glared at him, "So you could offer up your couch?"

"Why do I piss you so much?"

"Because you are always fucking busy...you don't want me...not really...I've heard all the stories dad...Brian Kinney...the king of the Pittsburgh fag scene...the guy who loves himself more than he loves anybody else...including me"

Brian slid off the seat and crouched down looking up to him, "Don't you ever say that...I put you with your grandparents because I thought it was best for you...I'm not ready to look after you full time and I never lied to you about that...your dumbass father, who would rather go dancing in a club, than kicking a ball with you in the park"

"Melanie used to say you were just a sperm donor...I heard it ALL the time! That's WHY I rather live with my friend in Canada, at least they care...you don't have to lie dad because Melanie said it all...you were a sperm donor for Mom and after they moved away, you weren't bothered about me no more"

"Is that what she told you?"

He rose to his feet and looked at Justin. Justin shrugged. Brian looked back down to his son, "I WAS a sperm donor...the plan was to hand all rights to you over to her...and I nearly did...until Justin convinced me to change my mind"

"Do you love me...?"

Brian swallowed down the hurt, "My father...I hated him...I guess that's why I'm such a crap...no...an unconvincing father...but from now on, I going to turn my life upside down...", he took his son's hands, "...because I do love you son...you are my blood and things are going to be so much different from now on forward"

"I love you dad...even if you look scruffy and unshaved and you stink"

Brian managed a smile as father and son hugged in the chair.

XXXXXXXXX