- Text Size +

 

Colin 4 months

 

 

 

Colin was the first in the little family to wake; his internal clock set to wake when he was hungry.   Justin heard the soft cry and nudged Brian.

 

"Colin's awake.  Do you want me to feed him in the nursery or do you want me to bring him in here?"

 

Brian looked at the clock.  It was 6:30.   They had gone to bed about midnight but were busy having sex until at least 1:30.  He was tired.

 

"Feed him and then play with him for a bit.  I need a little more sleep, especially if I'm going to talk to Gus and figure out a plan.  Why don't you wake me by 9:00.  You can come back to bed then, if you want.  I'll spend some time with the boys."

 

"Sounds like a plan.  I took a nap yesterday so I'm not a zombie like some people.  Of course, you old folks need your beauty rest."  Justin teased.  He knew Brian would smile at the comment and not take it offensively.  He quickly put on his underwear and a pair of shorts. Looking toward the bed he saw Brian was almost asleep.  He quietly opened the door and went to the nursery to take care of Colin.

 

Picking up Colin, he held the baby to his chest and patted his back.

 

"I know.  You're hungry and wet.  So let's change you first and then we'll find you some yummy formula for breakfast."

 

He laid the baby on the changing table, changed his diaper and put him in fresh clothes.  Colin still had more clothes than he could possibly wear. so Justin changed him anytime he got messy or wet.  Colin smiled at Justin.

 

"I see you're smiling.  You're such a happy baby.  We are so lucky to have you in our lives.  I know your brother Gus is excited to be here this weekend.  He can't wait to hold you and sing you pretty songs.  Time to go down and find us some breakfast."

 

Justin went to the kitchen where he placed Colin in a swing while he turned on the coffee machine and warmed up his bottle.  Picking up Colin, he went to the rocking chair they had placed in the living area, grabbed a soft cloth and sat down to feed him.  It took only about 15 minutes, just about the time the coffee machine was ready.  He burped Colin and rocked him for a few minutes, and then placed him on the floor with the baby gym over his head.  He went to the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee, pouring milk and sugar into the cup.  Smelling the coffee, he sighed in contentment.

 

Taking his coffee to the living area, he sat in his favorite over-stuffed chair and watched his son.  He had read that the child needed to experience their environment and not be interacted with every waking moment. This would result in a more self-sufficient child.  Justin still read a lot of literature on child rearing and subscribed to Parents magazine and followed several blogs including Ask Your Dad Blog and 8Bit Dad.  He loved that they were written by men.  Even though he was gay, he felt parenting from a guy's perspective was helpful.  He often shared his knowledge with Brian, but he wasn't always sure Brian paid attention to him.  He would often espouse about Justin's tendency toward PSA's but he tended to follow the advice.  Either way, it made Justin feel like he was a well-informed parent.  He didn't want to run to his mom or Debbie with every question regarding babies. 

 

Colin looked at the baby gym and would turn his head toward the different objects. Justin thought it was time for some tummy time so he placed Colin on the baby blanket and put several toys within easy viewing.  Colin raised his head, using his arms to look around.  He did this several times and then lay back down.  Justin took a sip of his coffee and then looked at Colin again.  He decided to try an experiment and lay just out of reach of the baby. 

 

"Come to Daddy Justin, Colin."

 

Colin turned toward Justin and then rolled toward him.  Colin was a little surprised at the movement but Justin clapped his hands in excitement.

 

"You did it.  You rolled over.  Great job."  Justin moved over a bit to see if Colin would roll again and he did.  Justin bent down and kissed the boy.  He wasn't going to push a third try so he lay the toys out in front of the baby again for him to look at. Colin gurgled as babies do and stared at his father for a moment and then at his toys.

 

Justin looked up as he heard noise coming from the stairs.  He saw Gus coming down the steps. 

 

"Justin.  Can I feed Colin?"

 

"Sorry, bud.  He's been awake for about an hour and you missed breakfast, but I'm sure you can feed him next time.  Do you want some breakfast?  I can make you something while you play with Colin."

 

"Can I have Oreos and milk for breakfast?"

 

Justin laughed and shook his head. "Your Dad would have my hide if I let you eat that for breakfast.  We do have some cold pizza from the other night that I could zap for you.  Do you want that?"

 

Gus made a face and scrunched his eyes.  "Nope, pizza for breakfast is gross.  I'll stick with eggs, cereal or pancakes."

 

"You want all that?"

 

"No.  You're funny Justin.  I think I'll just have some cereal.  I can get it.  I'm not sure what kind I want."

 

"Okay." 

 

Gus came out with a bowl of Frosted Flakes and a banana.  He sat on the edge of the couch to eat it.  He looked at the floor where Colin was playing and saw that he'd fallen asleep.

 

"Colin's asleep again.  When does he stay awake longer?"

 

"Babies sleep a lot when they are Colin's age.  He stays awake about an  hour or two at his age.  It takes a lot of energy to grow.  A baby triples his birth weight by the time he's one and babies grow when they are sleeping."

 

Gus took a few bites of cereal and watched Colin sleep.  "But when does he stay awake longer?"

 

"Well, when he's 6 months old, he'll be awake for 2-3 hours at a time and by time he's 9 months old, it's more like 2-4 hours at a time.  So he'll take an hour and a half nap a few times a day when he gets to be  about 6 months old.  Colin's a good sleeper and is growing a lot.  He naps a lot, but soon he'll be awake for longer periods of time.  He's only 4 months old now.  By the time he's 6 months old, he'll really be doing a lot."

 

"Oh.  Well, he just went to sleep so I imagine he'll be asleep till at least 9:00.  Did you eat breakfast yet?  Maybe we could work in your studio till he wakes up?"

 

"Well, I'd have to move him and I don't like to do that.  I'll grab some cereal and make some sausage too.  After I eat, why don't you grab some paper and colored pencils from the studio and we can draw."

 

Gus took a few spoonfuls of his cereal and nodded his head.  He studied the sleeping baby lying on the large blue baby blanket, watching his chest move up and down as he breathed.  Justin assured himself that Colin was asleep and Gus was watching him.  He went to the kitchen, refilled his coffee mug and poured a large bowl of Cheerios into it.  He grabbed several slices of cheese and a banana, putting them on a plate and carried the bowl and fruit into the living area.  He went back to the kitchen to grab his coffee, placing it on the coaster on the end table.  Gus watched Justin bring out his breakfast and carefully arrange all his bowls and mug.

 

"Justin, why do you always put your mugs and glasses on coasters?  I see Grandma Jen doing it but I never see Uncle Michael or Grandma Debbie using them."

 

Justin took a few sips of his coffee, blowing over the mug to cool the hot liquid.  Using the time to formulate an answer that was both truthful and tactful at the same time.

 

"Using coasters is a way to keep your furniture from getting water marks or heat marks on it.  Your dad and I paid a lot of money for our furniture so we don't want to see it ruined.  Grandma Jenn uses coasters for the same reason."

 

"But what about Uncle Michael and Grandma Debbie; I'm sure their stuff wasn't cheap."

 

"I think part of it is the way I was brought up.  Uncle Michael and Grandma Debbie didn't have a lot of money when he was growing up and maybe their furniture already had stains on it so they weren't that concerned.  Grandma Debbie has covers on all of her furniture.  The covers make it look nice but they may hide some stains or well worn cloth."  He was doing his best not to tell his son that his Uncle and Grandma were not brought up in "country club" ways, but he didn't want to say they were ill mannered either. 

 

"But what about now?  They're not poor now."

 

"They're just used to doing things that way and as the saying goes, old habits die hard."

 

The little boy finished his bowl of cereal and tilted his bowl up to his mouth to drink the left over milk as he contemplated Justin's explanation.  He decided it would do for now, but maybe he might ask his dad.  Sometimes Justin was "too nice" where his dad always spoke his mind. 

 

"I'm finished.  I'll go up and gather the art supplies."

 

"Get dressed and brush your teeth before you come down.  You know how your dad is about staying in your PJ's all day," Justin said as he visualized many a "talk" Brian had with his son regarding dressing for every day.

 

"Okay.  Be back in a bit.  Maybe when I get back you will be finished with your breakfast.  Colin should still sleep for a little while and when he gets up I'll feed him and sing to him.  I learned a new song at school that I want to sing for him."

 

Justin watched Gus go up the stairs, smiling at the little boy. He was so happy to be a part of his life and wondered if soon their time together would increase.  Knowing his husband as he did, he was eager to see what Brian would do with the information he shared last night about the girls' treatment of their son.  He finished his breakfast and drank the last of his coffee, bringing the dishes into the kitchen.  He didn't like to have hot coffee around Colin.

 

While he was waiting for Gus to return, he heard Brian's familiar footsteps on the stairs.  Brian came over to him, leaned down and gave him a morning kiss.  "Mmm, Is that coffee I smell?"

 

"Yep.  I made some when I got up. The special blend that you like."

 

"You are a coffee slut," Brian said in a teasing tone.  He walked into the kitchen, inhaled deeply and opened the cabinet to grab a coffee mug.  He poured some creamer and sugar in the bottom and then filled his cup.  After blowing on the mug, he took a tentative sip, ensuring he would not burn his tongue.  Smiling at the delicious brew, he took several additional sips and then placed the cup on the counter.  He grabbed his Guava juice and protein powder and made his morning shake and then poured it into a glass.  Taking both glasses out to the living area, he joined Justin.

 

"Where's Gus?  I can't believe he's still sleeping."

 

"No. He ate breakfast and I sent him to get dressed and brush his teeth.  He's going to bring down some art supplies so we can draw.  I didn't want to leave Colin by himself.  Even though he can't go anywhere, I just don't want to leave him."

 

"Well I'm up now, so I can watch Colin and you two can draw."

 

"Oh!!!!  You'll never guess what he did this morning," Justin said in an excited voice.

 

"Colin or Gus?"

 

"Colin.  He rolled over.  I put some toys out of his reach and he rolled right to them."

 

"Justin, if you get this excited over our son's ability to roll over, I'd hate to think what you will do when he really accomplishes something."  Brian said, tongue in cheek, secretly wishing he was there for this early milestone.  "Of course, we won't be like most couples and get jealous when he says Papa or Dada because he could be talking to either of us."

 

Justin frowned and said, "ha ha."

 

"I'll draw with Gus for a bit and then you can hang out with him while I go back to bed.  Are you going to talk to him?"

 

"No, I thought I'd play 20 questions with him.  Of course I will talk to him.  Why don't you go upstairs and see if our son is ready to create masterpieces and I'll watch our baby while he makes disgusting diapers."

 

Justin stood up and kissed Brian, and then climbed the stairs to find Gus.  Gus was in the studio starting to gather the supplies.

 

"Hey buddy.  Your dad is up so he's watching Colin. We can spend time in the studio and then when Colin wakes up, you can go feed him and play with him.  Sound good?"

 

"Yep.  I thought about making some pictures of me now-  you know full size ones and then Colin can see what I looked like when he was little."

 

"I've got a perfect idea.  We'll make a full size drawing of you."  Justin tore off some long paper he used for planning his drawings and laid it on the floor.  "Lay down and I'll trace you.  Then we can fill in the drawing."

 

"Cool.  Can we do this again in a few months?"

 

"Sure."

 

Justin and Gus worked for about an hour on their project when they heard a knock on the door.  "Gus, Colin says he's hungry and he wants you to feed him.  You think you can do that?"

 

"Sure dad.  Justin, can we come back to this later.  I really want to spend time with Colin."

 

"Of course.  I got up with Colin this morning so I'm going to take a nap now."  He leaned over and gave Brian and Colin a kiss and ruffled Gus' hair.

 

Gus, Brian and Colin went downstairs so Colin could be fed and Justin would have some quiet when he took his nap.  Brian had made Colin's bottle before he went upstairs so Gus was all set to feed his brother.  He sat in the big chair and grabbed a baby towel to wipe Colin's mouth and catch any dribbles. 

 

As he fed Colin, he spoke to him.  "I'm your big brother, Gus.  You have two dads, Justin and Dad, but you'll call them daddy Justin and daddy Brian.  See they are married and they are raising you together.  I'm your brother but I live with my moms and see my Dad and Justin on weekends and sometimes other days too.  It's a little confusing, but you'll figure it out.  I live with my moms and they're okay but sometimes they are a pain.  They have me watch my sister, J.R. a lot cause they're busy.  J.R.'s momma Mel's kid and her dad is Uncle Michael. Then there is Grandma Jenn, she's Justin's mom.  Grandma Debbie is actually Uncle Michael's mom and really not related to us, but she's the best grandma ever. See, she works at the diner and gives me milk shakes and they are the best."

 

Brian listened to Gus and was really thankful that Gus gave him the perfect opening to discuss his mom's actions.

 

"Listening to you, our little family sounds so confusing.  You have two dads and J.R. has two dads but they aren't the same people, but you have the same moms.  And then there is the fact that you are brother and sister.  If I didn't know our little family, I'd need a diagram of who's who."

 

"Yeah, it is a little confusing.  I thought I would start telling Colin all about it so when he grows up, he'll have it all figured out."

 

"You mentioned that you watch J.R. a lot.  Does that bother you?"

 

Gus picked up Colin and held him to his chest to burp him.  He patted his back hoping to bring the bubbles out like Justin and his dad had shown him.  Brian watched and the love in his heart increased. 

 

"Sometimes.  I mean she's my sister, but sometimes mom and mamma have me stop what I'm doing to watch her so they can do stuff.  Sometimes I'm doing stuff with my friends and I have to come inside to watch her.  It's not like she's Colin and needs someone with her all the time."

 

Gus heard the familiar burp from Colin and brought him to the front and kissed him on the cheek.  "Your dads love spending time with you.  You are so lucky."

 

"Do your moms spend time with you, Gus?"

 

"Dad, I think he's ready to get on the floor.  I know you guys don't want me carrying him so can you put him on the floor so we can play."

 

Brian lifted his son from Gus' arms and laid him on the blanket.  Gus grabbed a toy rattle and shook it slightly to get Colin's attention.

 

"The moms are always busy.  It seems like they are always arguing over whose turn it is to take me somewhere or help me with my homework.  They don't like to play games like you and Justin. They do girl stuff with J.R.."

 

"I see."  Brian thought for a few minutes while he watched his sons play together.  He didn't like that his son was relegated to babysitter and his moms didn't appear to try to spend time with him. "What about your mom?  Does she ever take you to the gallery with her or paint with you?  She loves art like Justin and there was a time when she painted and drew."

 

"I've asked a few times, but she always says it's too messy or she doesn't have the time.  And momma Mel doesn't like art. She's always saying how mom's job is not as important as hers."

 

"I see.  Tell me Gus, and you can be honest, I won't get mad.  Would you like to live with us?"

 

"That would be awesome, Dad.  Do you think I could?  I could help with Colin and I could do stuff around the house.  I wouldn't be any trouble.  I'd always listen to you guys and go to bed on time and do my homework." Gus thought furiously about all the things his moms and he argued about.  Sometimes he thought he just didn't do what he was supposed to do in order to have some type of interaction with his moms. 

 

"We don't want you here to help around the house or care for Colin.  We'd want you here so you could have parents that spend time with you."

 

"You think mom and momma would let me live here?"

 

"I don't know, but I think it's time we had a little talk with them about treating you like a kid and not a babysitter and errand boy."

 

Gus put down the rattle and walked to his dad, giving him the biggest hug ever. "I'd like that dad.  You're the best."

 

Brian realized it would be tough sell, getting the girls to let Gus live with them, but he thought he had some good leverage and would give it a try.  He knew he didn't have to convince Justin, but convincing the munchers was a whole other issue.

 

 

 

TBC