- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I hope my dear readers enjoy the new chapter.  I hope that you believe the scenario could unfold in this manner.  If not, consider it poetic license.    

 

 

It was time for Justin and Brian to take Gus home.  Gus went upstairs to his bedroom where he gathered his favorite toys; his prized Lego Star Wars pieces and his special art kit that he and Justin had put together.  He looked in the bathroom for his toothbrush and comb and placed those in the back pack. 

He put his dirty laundry in the laundry bag as he remembered the time he forgot to pack underwear and his dad had bought him underwear just like he had.  He felt so proud to be just like his dad, but his Mom had a fit as she said that 10 year olds don't need designer underwear.  He'd never really understood what that argument had been about since no one except him saw his underwear. 

He kept quiet on that discussion, choosing to play with his Star Wars figures and pretend he was Luke Skywalker going to Degobah to learn to be a Jedi Knight.  As he looked around the room, he got excited thinking about the possibility that this might be his full time home.  His Dad had said he would talk to his Mom about him living there and Dad always did what he said he would.  Unlike his Moms who would promise stuff and then change their minds.  He wondered if all kids had that problem with their mothers or just him because he had two moms.  After all, he had two moms and two dads, twice the opportunity to be told what to do.  But he liked his dads a lot better than his moms.  His dads didn't fight and they made time to do stuff with him.  He hoped his Mom would let him stay. 

 

"Gus, are you coming down any time soon?  Put your Star Wars Legos in your backpack.  We don't want to be late.  Remember, we want your Mom and Momma in a good mood when we get back," yelled Brian from the bottom of the stairs.  He knew that one key to getting Lindsey to say yes was to not give her anything to bitch about. He'd always get Gus back a little early so she wouldn't bitch about how his arrival was right in the middle of whatever they were involved in.  It seemed to him that their whole household was always right in the middle of some crisis or another.  One time he brought Gus back to a screaming match between the girls when Mel couldn't find a pair of socks for J.R. . 

 

Gus looked at his room one last time and fervently hoped he would be back tomorrow instead of next weekend.  Turning off the light, he gathered his backpack and trotted down the stairs.

 

"Gus, you're only one little boy.  How do you sound like a hurd of elephants coming down the stairs?" Justin smiled as he ruffled his hair.   "Daddy has Colin and is putting him in the car seat so we better go." 

 

They'd been driving for about 5 minutes when Gus asked, "Daddy, what are you going to say to Mommy when we get there.  I really want to come over every day."

 

"Just what you said.  I've found the truth is the best persuader."

 

"Purs....?  What is that Daddy?"

 

"Persuasion: The act of convincing someone to do something.  In my job, I persuade people that they want certain products and that their life will be better if they have these things.  I'm going to persuade your mom that her life will be easier if you come to our house after school each day."

 

"Oh," Gus said as he thought about his father's explanation.  "How you going to do that, Daddy?"

 

"I have my ways.  At the end of our visit, your mom will think it was her idea to have you come over every day."

 

Justin watched Brian smile his "power smile."  Justin had given Brian's business look its own vocabulary.  He loved watching Brian at work; the man was a genius.  He'd won a number of awards for his innovative campaigns and once a company signed with them, it was very rare that they ever left.  He was able to schmooze and explain his ideas to even the most reluctant company.  He was a very high powered persuader and when he listened to Brian talk to Gus, he knew that most likely he would get what he wanted. 

 

"The key to our campaign is for you to not let your moms know about our plan.  You need to go in and do what you normally do when you come home on Sunday night.  If you start talking about coming over, your Mom will start thinking this was your idea and say "no" without thinking.  I've known Lindsey a long time and she works best when she thinks things are her idea.  Understand, Gus?"

 

"Yep.  When I go home I'll go straight to my room and unload my backpack.  But, Daddy...." Gus thought for a few seconds about this elaborate plan.  "Can I keep my Star Wars Legos in the back pack if I'm coming to your house tomorrow?  I don't want to have to put them away; I might forget one of them.  A few weeks ago, I forgot Yoda and it was really hard to play without him."

 

"First world problems," Brian said as he smiled at his two favorite people.  "Yes, you can keep them in your backpack.  If your mom says no, you'll just take them out later."

 

"Okay.  What is a first world problem?"  Gus asked.

 

Justin envied the innocence of the young boy. "It means that this problem is not that important in comparison to children living in places that don't even have Star Wars Legos.   There are little boys who don't have a house or a bed they call their own because it's been bombed or burned down.  They don't have any toys.  So for those little boys, having a bed and a place to sleep is a bigger concern than having their favorite toy to play with."

 

"Why don't they have a bed or a house?  Everybody has to have a place to sleep."

 

"There are lots of places where people are fighting and they attack their enemies by destroying their homes," Justin explained.  He never felt that he should minimize other's situations but he didn't want to upset the young boy either. "So a first world problem is one where someone wants something they can't have or don't have- like when you forgot Yoda.  But a third world problem is when someone lacks the basic necessities of living, like clothes or housing."

 

"Justin..." Brian said as he frowned at his partner.

 

"Brian, he needs to learn that there are people who don't have their basic needs met.  He's not too young to understand that not everyone has 10 Lego sets and can choose between three cars they want to drive."  Justin looked at Brian, there was no brooking this discussion. 

 

"Okay.  But can we get back to the discussion at hand and not dwell on third world countries.  Our son wants to live with us and we have to convince his mothers that this is their idea."  Brian turned on the turn signal to exit the highway.

 

"Yeah Daddy.  I want to live with you, not in some place where they don't have houses."  Gus nodded his head in agreement of his father's statement.

 

"I have some ideas, but let me talk to your moms."

 

"Okay.  I'll go right up to my room and I'll get my stuff together to come to your house in the afternoon.  I know you will get Mom and Momma to let me come," Gus said, convinced that his father would be successful.

 

They turned down the street of the "girls" house and Brian carefully parked the car. "Remember, you give your moms a kiss and then go right up to your room."

 

Gus got out of the car and walked to the house, ringing the bell.  He waited a few minutes and when no one came he rang it again.

 

Lindsay came to the door holding a phone in one hand and a piece of paper in the other. "Gus, how many times have I told you about ringing the bell more than once.  I am on the phone and really busy."  She opened the door and gave Gus a quick kiss.  "Now go upstairs and put your stuff away, you have to take a bath and get ready for school in the morning."

 

Gus dutifully bounded up the stairs as his father had told him and then he begun looking at his toys trying to determine which ones he wanted for the week.  He made a big pile of his favorite toys and then thought about those children in "third world countries" who didn't have any Star Wars Legos and the thought saddened him.  He would talk to Justin about sharing some of his toys.

 

Lindsay ushered Brian and Justin into the house and motioned for them to sit on the couch while she continued talking on the phone.

 

"Yes.... I understand.  I paid that bill on the 13th of last month."

 

"Oh, I see.  Well, yes I could do that.  I can come tomorrow afternoon.  Would that work?"

 

"... Thank you."

 

As soon as she hung up the phone, she looked at the calendar hanging on the fridge which had all the commitments and activities of the family listed.  "Shit!!  Shit!!!" She said as she grabbed the paper bags in the drawer. 

 

Brian casually walked into the kitchen and leaned against the wall.  "Problems Linds?" Brian knew that almost every Sunday in the munchers' house was filled with conversations about the difficulties for the coming week.  He'd counted on this Sunday being no different.  Gus often came home to chaos as there some crisis that just had to be taken care of or some deadline they forgot.

 

"Yes.  No.  Well..."

 

"It's not really a difficult question," Brian said tongue in cheek.

 

"Well, it seems that I forgot to pay a bill and the store will allow me to pay it late without any penalty but only if I get down there by 4:00 tomorrow.  Gus has something after school and Mel has a meeting with a client.  I can't possibly be in two places at once.  And then I told Mel I could pick up J.R. from school."  Lindsay let out a big sigh.  "Maybe I can see if Karen can pick up J.R. and Gus could stay at after school activities longer."  She mentally calculated the time it would take her to drop off the check and get back to school to pick up Gus and decided that would be a solution.

 

"How about I pick up Gus and take him to his after school thing?" Brian offered.

 

"Oh.... I didn't think... I thought you'd...   Could you?"

 

"Gus is my son and I'd be happy to take him to his after school activities.  Why don't I take him and he can eat dinner with us and I'll have him back here by 8:00."

 

Lindsay felt a weight get off her chest and smiled.  "That would be so helpful.   Our lives are so hectic with two children.  I'm sure you'll find out when Colin gets older."  She smiles her gracious smile, the one Brian calls her WASP smile.  She used it when she thought she was superior.  While Justin had a similar upbringing as Lindsay, he never used his smile to get his way, only using it to show his good manners.  As often was the case, Brian thought she could learn a lot from Justin in the graciousness department.

 

"I'll go let him know."  He walked to the stairs and went into Gus's room where he quickly closed the door so his moms can't hear their conversation.  "So, big guy, either I or Justin will pick you up from school tomorrow and you will spend the afternoon and evening with us.  We'll take you home about 8:00."

 

"Really, Dad?"  Gus goes over to hug Brian and Brian returns the hug. "Now why don't you get ready for bed and Justin and I will read you a story before we leave.  Justin is downstairs with Colin and you know he's going to want to eat in about an hour.  I'd like to be home for that."

 

Brian walked out of the room as he watched Gus start to take off his shirt and grab his PJ's.  He returned to the living room where he saw Justin playing with Colin on the floor.  He watched the two of them as pride and awe filled his heart.  He never believed he would feel like this when they were discussing having a child.  He knew he wanted to have a child with Justin, but the reality of it was still an abstract and he was so happy with his life.

 

Lindsay was sitting at the kitchen table, a pad and paper in front of her while she was filling in a calendar.  She looked up from her project as Brian entered the room.  The calendar looked pretty full and Brian inwardly smiled as he watched her frown at the lack of white space. 

 

Brian grabbed a bottle of water for himself and Justin and brought Justin his, giving him a kiss on the forehead before he returned to the kitchen area.

 

"The calendar is pretty full," Brian said as he sat down in the flower covered kitchen chair.  He hated the chairs, always thinking they were there more for show than comfort.  Lindsay had raved about how she found them at an antique shop and she was so pleased at the recovering job she and Mel had done.  Just because something was antique didn't mean that it was comfortable.  Again, Brian saw her WASP upbringing come to light. She was more impressed that the chairs were antique and had a "good lineage" than with the way they fit or didn't fit into her everyday décor. 

 

Lindsay smiled her "WASP" smile again as she looked at Brian.  "Oh yes.  I have three late meetings at work this week; we're getting ready for the yearly planning conference.  You know the one, ....where we plan for the shows for the next year.  Gus has soccer practice on two nights, a play date a third day and there is a meeting for parents for spring sports.  It is mandatory or he can't play and he mentioned he wanted to sign up for tennis.  Then Mel has been working non-stop on this big custody case so she doesn't seem to be around a lot.  Luckily J.R. is still a little young to have her own color code.  Mine is blue, Mel is pink and Gus is orange.  J.R. is green and you see where everyone's commitments are at a glance." She held up the calendar and it was filled with a barrage of colors. 

 

"There is a lot of orange there.  Justin and I can help with Gus.  Why don't you make a copy of Gus' things and we will take care of those.  That way you and Mel won't worry about him missing out."  Brian casually threw out his suggestion, knowing Lindsay would jump at the chance not to have to take him places.

 

Lindsay stood up out of her chair and gave Brian a huge hug.  "That would be so helpful.  Gus is so busy and I just don't know how we were going to get him everywhere."

 

"Good, that's settled.  We'll pick him up after school each day and then we'll bring him home at night,"  Brian said as he was thinking it was silly to have his son sleep there when his mother's didn't do anything else, but feed him breakfast and get him to school.  But he had a plan and the plan involved Lindsay thinking she still had control.

 

"I hear Gus on the steps.  I told him we would read him a story before Justin, Colin and I leave."  He called to Gus who came in the kitchen carrying his book that he wanted Brian and Justin to read.  He and his mom's had been reading Secret Agent, Jack Stalwart each night and he handed his dad the book.  "We're on chapter 7.  Can we read two chapters?"

 

"Gus, only 1 chapter a night. You know the rules.  Did you brush your teeth?"

 

"Yes, mom, I brushed my teeth."  He smiled showing his bright teeth and both Lindsay and Brian laugh at his antics. 

 

"Up to your room and Justin and I will be right there."  Brian looked at Lindsay.  "If you could get that schedule together before we leave, it would be great.  Justin and I need to get Colin home for his bath and last bottle."  Brian went to the living area and he saw Justin holding Colin and talking to him quietly about all the things in the room.  "Come on, Sunshine.  We have a secret agent to read about and then we have to get our youngest home.  Someone needs a bath tonight before bed."

 

Justin stood up and walked up the stairs with Colin in his arms.  They both sit on the bed as they read the next chapter.  Brian leaned down to kiss Gus.  "See you tomorrow, big guy.  Not sure who will be picking you up, me, Justin or grandma Jen but we'll be there for you."

 

"Thanks dad.  Love you."

 

Justin leans down and lets Gus kiss Colin on the cheek and then he gives Gus his own kiss. " See you tomorrow, squirt."

 

"Love you too, Justin."  He closed his eyes and they walked out of the room shutting off the light.

 

"Time to head home." Brian said as he kissed Justin on the cheek and Colin on the forehead.  They go down to the kitchen where Lindsay is rehanging the calendar on the fridge.

 

"I can't tell you how great it is that you offered to help out.  It will make our lives so much easier." Lindsay said as she handed him the schedule she copied. 

 

Brian cringed at Lindsay's words but tried to keep his face neutral. "We'll drop him off tomorrow."  He took the schedule and glanced quickly at it.  Gus was busy but he knew they could handle his schedule; it just took a little juggling.

 

Brian and Justin took Colin to the car, locking the car seat in its base.  "I love that I don't have to take him in and out of the seat every time we travel.  It was such a pain when Gus was little.  I always felt bad about waking him up when he would fall asleep," Brian said.

 

Justin closed the door and got in the passenger seat, buckling himself into the seat belt and watching as Brian did the same. "So, tell me about this schedule Linds gave you?"

 

"Easy.  She was trying to juggle a million things like always and lamenting that she and Mel were so busy. She was starting to complain that Gus had so many things to do to and she didn't know how they would work it out.  All I did was offer to handle Gus and his commitments.  She was so thankful; you'd think that I'd offered to do a lot more than spend time with my son."

 

"So we have him after school?"

 

"I started with tomorrow only but then she was writing down the whole month and I offered to take him for the whole month of after school commitments and bring him back each night.  I figure after a week or so, I'll ask to just keep him overnight.  They will find it a pain to have to be home by 8:00 each night to get him ready for bed etc."

 

"Really?  You think they'll give up that easy."

 

"Oh, when I'm done, they will think it's their idea, but for now, Gus is with us every night.  We need to look at the list and figure out how we're going to get him where he needs to go."

 

"I'm sure we'll figure it out.  But for now, Gus won't have to put up with watching his sister while his moms do their thing.  I think everybody wins."

 

TBC