- Text Size +

Monday morning came and nothing had changed in the Kinney-Taylor household. Brian got his morning blow job before he went off to run Kinnetik.  Colin was fed and played with by Justin and then Chloe watched him while Justin worked. Justin painted and Brian only threatened to fire one person in the art department for a screw up involving color on one of the boards but nothing unusual happened. Justin stopped his painting by 2:00, cleaned his brushes and showered so he could pick up Gus on time.  The pick-up went smoothly and Justin ran a few errands while Gus was at soccer practice.  After practice they drove to the Loft and Gus helped Justin fix Mac and Cheese for dinner.  Brian joined them for an early dinner and listened to his son tell him about his day.  After dinner, Brian listened to Gus read and then took him home.  Justin returned to Britin in time for Chloe to leave on time.  He played with Colin until it was bath time, gave him a bath and gave him a bottle.  While Colin was finishing his bottle, Brian arrived home.  They played with their son for about an hour and then laid him down to sleep. After they closed the door to the nursey and ensured that the baby monitor was set, they went to the kitchen.

 

"I made some Chicken Piccata earlier, do you want some? I know you didn't eat any of the Mac and Cheese that Gus and I made."  Justin walked to the cabinet, getting out two plates and placed them on the counter.

 

"Sure.  Mac and Cheese is not really on my list of favorite dinner foods," Brian said, tongue in cheek.

 

"I wanted our first day to be special.  He needs to feel that we are there for him and not just ‘helping out'.   He's used to spending time with us on the weekends."

 

"Justin, you don't need to spell it out for me.  I understand.  While Gus says he doesn't like things at home, it is still home.  I don't need a Public Service Announcement on the importance of spending quality time with your kid.  Jack and Joan were such great role models," Brian said, the tinge of sarcasm evident in his tone.

 

Justin didn't respond, knowing that Brian's childhood would always be a sore spot for his husband.  He understood that his parent's abuse and indifference had a huge impact on Brian's reluctance to show his love for him, as well as his fear of fatherhood.  Luckily, Brian appeared to have overcome those obstacles and now they had two sons.

 

Justin plated the chicken and placed it in the microwave.   He took out the makings for a salad and began prepping the carrots.

 

"How was your day?" he asked.

 

"I didn't threaten to fire anyone."

 

Justin laughed, the running joke a familiar one.  "Good.  If you fired someone every time you threatened, you would be constantly interviewing potential employees."  Justin placed the lettuce in the bowls and then split the chopped carrots between the two bowls.  He washed some cherry tomatoes and placed them in the bowls as well.  Opening the fridge, he located the artichoke hearts and the cheese, placing them on the counter.  "How did the presentation with ASUS go?"

 

"Their rep is a jerk.  He thinks that everything should be done at the cheapest price.  When we discussed the terms of the campaign, he balked at the price and tried to low ball every single area.  He wants a top campaign for basic prices."  Brian grabbed a carrot from the bag and took a bite of the crunchy vegetable.  "Their last campaign was such a success and their sales went up 10%.  He decided since we already did the work for the last campaign, the foundation would be there and we wouldn't have as much cost this time around.  I quickly disabused him of that idea, explaining that the public wanted to see new and innovative ads that showed innovation in product as well." He reached for a second carrot and ate that as well.  Walking over to the liquor cabinet, he poured himself a shot of Beam and asked Justin, "Want anything?"

 

"Sure, pour me a glass of that wine we picked up last weekend."  After placing a few artichoke hearts in their salad, Justin took out the cheese grater and grated some fresh feta.

 

"So did you convince him of his incorrect thinking?"

 

"Of course.  I am the master."  Brian took a drink of his whiskey and put the glass on the table in front of his seat.  The microwave dinged and he grabbed the chicken, bringing the plates to the table. 

 

Justin brought the salads, placing them on the table and then sat down.

 

"Did you finish painting your piece for the auction?"  Brian asked as he cut the first piece of his chicken.

 

"Not yet.  There is still something missing.  I think it needs more blue.  I picked up some blue cerulean while Gus was at practice.  I think I'll add it tomorrow and see."

 

"So picking up Gus was not too disruptive?" Brian asked. 

 

"Brian, we agreed on this.  This is our son.  I'm happy to pick up Gus."

 

"I know.  I just don't want you to sacrifice your career."

 

"It's my career.  Gus and Colin come first.  They are more important than painting some picture."

 

"Justin, those pictures are an extension of you.  I can't ask that you give that up for them."

 

Justin took a few bites of his salad before responding.  "Brian, our family is my life.  Do you remember me telling you what I told Lindsay years ago?  I told her that my art wasn't my life, you were.  That hasn't changed.  Yes, I love painting and my art, but you and our family will always come first.  The world has many great artists, but Colin and Gus only have two fathers.  We need to be the best fathers.  Besides, why should I look at taking time out to pick up Gus as intruding into my painting when you don't see doing the same as intruding into Kinnetik?"

 

"Point taken," Brian said, agreeing to Justin's statements.  He still had misgivings, but he accepted Justin's statement.  He loved that Justin was his family. "So when do I get to see this new masterpiece?  After all, you are going to donate it and I might want to bid on it.  I need a new piece for the conference room," Brian said as he smiled at his husband.  He cut another piece of chicken and drank a sip of his whiskey.

 

"You know the rules; no looking until the piece is finished.  That being said, I should finish it by the end of the week."  Justin took a sip of wine, savoring the taste.  "This wine is really good.  I think we should buy some additional bottles."

 

Brian had finished his whiskey and held his hand out for Justin's goblet, signaling he would like a taste.  He sipped the wine and nodded his head in agreement.  "I'll pick some up when I'm over by the munchers tomorrow.  The liquor store a few blocks from them carries the wine."

 

"So tomorrow, Gus doesn't have any activities so he will be going home, but the day after he has art lessons at the North Hills Art Center," Brian said as he looked at his phone.  "That's near Kinnetik.  I'll pick him up and take him there, then go back to work.  Silly for you to come all the way into the city when it's just a few blocks away."

 

"Good.  I knew we would be able to handle the after school stuff.  Just takes a little effort and planning,"  Justin said as he finished his wine.  "You have work tonight?"

 

"A little, but it can wait.  Why don't we enjoy a little rendezvous ourselves before Colin decides he's hungry?"

 

Justin smiled at Brian's suggestion.  "Let me load the dishwasher and then I'll join you," he said as he started to put his plate in the machine. 

 

Brian walked to the machine and put his plate in. "The dirty dishes can wait.  They'll be here when Colin wakes up," Brian said as he laid his hand on the middle of Justin's back. 

 

Justin didn't argue and let Brian lead him to their bedroom where they enjoyed some bedroom escapades. 

 

"I guess I better finish my work," Brian said as he lay on the bed while his heart recovered from their lovemaking.  "I've got some changes to a few boards before the meeting with BJC tomorrow.  While your painting can wait, my clients want to be presented with fabulous campaigns when they arrive."  Brian got out of bed and walked to the bathroom for a wet cloth to clean them up and then dressed in lounge pants and a black Henley.  He kissed Justin on the lips and said, "later".

 

"Later," Justin replied back, using their familiar and comforting address.  They did not really use ‘pet' names for each other, excluding ‘Sunshine' for Justin, but the familiar ‘later' was a signal that they were each assuring the other partner that they would see each other in a little while. 

 

Justin got out of bed and dressed in sweats and a long sleeve shirt.  Deciding he didn't want to watch a movie, he pulled out his Surface and decided to check in on Facebook to see what was happening in the world.  An hour or so later, Colin woke for his last bottle and then Justin put him down for the night.  After putting him to bed, he went to Brian's home office, knocking before entering. 

 

"Yeah," Brian said as he looked up from his computer.

 

Justin yawned as he walked toward his husband.  "I'm going to bed.  You going to be long?"

 

Brian glanced at the clock in the corner of the computer screen and realized it was almost midnight.  "Colin get his last bottle?"

 

Justin nodded. "Just laid him down."

 

"Why didn't you come get me?"

 

"You were working and I was just playing on Facebook.  I figured if I let you finish your work, you might be able to come to bed with me."

 

Brian smiled as he looked at the not so innocent smile on Justin's face.  "So he's smart and good looking," he teased.  Brian looked at his screen and shook his head.  "Sorry, I've still got some work to do on this board.  I'll be there in a while.  Most likely an hour or so."

 

Justin leaned down and kissed Brian softly on the mouth.  "Okay.  Night."

 

"Night," Brian said and turned back to his work, eager to finish it and join his husband.

 

The second time they had Gus in the afternoon went as smoothly as the first time.  Brian picked him up from school, took him to his art class and returned to Kinnetik for a few more hours of work.  He took him to the Loft where Gus wanted Peanut Butter and Jelly for dinner and Brian agreed.  He never understood the appeal of such a combination, but he remembered many of his friends eating it for lunch when he was in school.  Justin did not join them for dinner as he had no reason to be in the city.  Brian and Gus watched some cartoons before he returned him home for the evening. 

 

"See you tomorrow, Sonny Boy," Brian said as he kissed his son on the forehead as they stood at the front door to his mother's house.

 

"Yep.  Love you, Daddy," Gus said and he hugged and kissed Brian before entering the house. 

 

Lindsay was standing at the door as Gus entered.  "Thanks so much for the help, Brian.  It's great that you volunteered to take him."

 

"Lindsay, he's my son.  It's not like I'm doing this as a favor.  I have a responsibility to him as well."

 

"Well," Lindsay started to answer, but then thought better of it.  After all, having Brian pick up Gus was wonderful and it gave her and Melanie a huge break.  She didn't want to jeopardize his generosity by saying the wrong thing.  She just hoped he and Justin wouldn't get tired of the arrangement.

 

"See you tomorrow.  Jennifer is going to pick him up from school and take him to his soccer game and we'll bring him home."

 

"Jennifer?"

 

"Yes.  Justin and I both have meetings when Gus is finished with school, so she will pick him up, get his snack and take him to his game.  We intend to be at the game and bring him home."

 

"Oh.  That's great," she said, the lack of enthusiasm evident in her voice.  "I hope to make it to the game, but I'm not sure.  I have a hair appointment earlier.  We are having a show this weekend and that was the only time I could get in to get my highlights done."

 

Brian inwardly seethed at her lack of sensitivity. Evidently her vanity was more important than showing up for Gus' game.  He was already seeing how unimportant Gus was in her life.  He kept his anger in check.  He did not want to let her see how disturbing her actions were in regards to their son.  It was just one more feather in his hat to gaining full custody of their child.  When your own mother places her hair appointments above your game, it says something about her feelings toward you.

 

"Okay.  Well I need to go. Justin and Colin are waiting." Brian turned and walked to the car.

 

It wasn't until the third week that havoc wrecked their perfectly coordinated world. They'd been able to follow their schedule for two weeks without a hitch and they prided themselves at how well organized their lives were.  They'd managed to get Gus to every activity he was involved in as well as spend quality time with Colin and each other.  Gus seemed to be enjoying life and no longer complained about watching his sister or not having time to play.  Colin was thriving and he was really bonding with Gus. 

 

Justin had set an alarm for 2:30 so he would know to stop painting and shower.  The alarm went off, Justin put his brushes in the turpentine to clean them and he went down to shower.  He changed into clean clothing, kissed Colin goodbye and went to his car.  Driving into the city, he enjoyed the scenery of the bright colored leaves as they were beginning to show their fall colors.  He couldn't wait till next year when he could bring Colin out to enjoy the pretty colors.  At this point in time, he went outside but he still didn't appreciate the vibrant colors.  As he was driving on the highway he noticed a slow down ahead of him.  One mile from his exit the traffic stopped and no one was moving.  He looked at the clock on the dashboard and realized that unless the traffic was moving within 10 minutes he would not make it to pick up Gus.  He pushed the button on his steering wheel and heard the familiar electronic voice signaling a connection to his cell phone. 

 

"Call mom," he directed.

 

"Calling mom mobile, home or work?"  The voice asked.

 

"Mobile.  555-1234- add numbers or say call."

 

"Call," Justin said, impatient with the amount of directives he had to go through to make the call.

 

"Hi Justin," Jennifer said as she answered the phone.

 

"Mom.  I need you to do me a favor.  I'm stuck in traffic.  Must be an accident, but nothing is moving and I need to pick up Gus.  I know you said you'd help and I didn't think it would be this soon, but could you go to the school to get him and take him to soccer practice."

 

"When do I need to be there?" Jennifer was opening her calendar as she was talking.

 

"About 30 minutes.  Where are you?  Are you close?  If not, I can call someone else."

 

"Honey, I'm sorry but I'm clear across town; there is no way I'll make it in time."

 

Justin hit the seat beside him, but remained calm.  "No worries, Mom.  I'll get someone else."

 

He hated to call Brian, but he knew Daphne had clients in the afternoon on Fridays.  He repeated the sequence of calling Brian and he answered right away.

 

"Kinney," Brian answered. This response told Justin he was most likely in a presentation or on the phone with a customer.  At least Brian had a rule that if Justin called he always answered the phone.  He knew Justin did not interrupt his day unless necessary.

 

"I'm stuck on the highway - most likely an accident and Mom's on the other side of town.  Gus needs to be picked up in 25 minutes."

 

"Okay. I'll take care of it.  Later."

 

Brian turned to the people at the conference table.  "Excuse the interruption, but I'll be back in a moment." He walked into the reception area and located Cynthia.  "I know you are very busy, but please go pick up Gus from school and drop him off at soccer practice.  You can come back here after dropping him off."

 

He didn't stay at her desk, but returned to his meeting.  He finished his presentation and the company, Extra Help signed a two year contract. After handing over the delegates to the legal department, he returned to Cynthia's desk. 

 

"You got Gus." It was a statement rather than a question.

 

"Sure, no problem.  Glad to help."

 

"Good.  I'm leaving in about thirty minutes.  Anything that needs attention can be given to Ted or wait till Monday."

 

"Sure boss," Cynthia said and smiled when he turned his back.

 

Brian left the office 35 minutes later and arrived on time to pick up Gus.  Justin was standing on the side lines watching the end of practice.

 

Seeing Brian walk toward him, he smiled. "You're here."

 

"The power of your observational skills never ceases to amaze me,' Brian said, tongue in cheek. 

 

"Thanks for coming.  Stupid traffic."

 

"I told Lindsay that it isn't a favor.  He's my son and I want to do this. "Thank You's" are for doing something above and beyond what you are expected. Now do I have to spank you so you'll remember that lesson?" Brian teased.

 

"I think I'll remember, but if you want to spank me I won't turn you down."  Justin eyed his partner with elevator eyes and smiled mischievously.

 

"Save those thoughts for later. It appears our son is finished and we need to get him clean and fed before taking him to Britin."

 

Gus came off the field and started to hug Brian.

 

"Gus," Brian said as he stepped back from the sweaty child.  "Armani....  After your shower."

 

Gus laughed and picked up the soccer ball he had dropped.  "Sure Dad."  He thought for a minute and then looked between his two fathers.  "Wait a minute.  Why are you here, Dad?  Wasn't Justin supposed to pick me up today?  Ms. Cynthia said he got caught in traffic so she got me from school."

 

"Justin did get caught in traffic, but I wasn't sure he would be able to make it on time, so I came to be sure someone was here to pick you up. I didn't want you left here alone."

 

Gus broke out in a huge grin.  "Thanks dad.  Sometimes mom or momma would run late and coach would have to wait for them to get here.  I like it when I don't have to wait."

 

Brian and Justin both cringed at the information Gus shared but neither man spoke.  They did not want to undermine the relationship Gus had with his moms; they were just not happy with the arrangement.  He should never have to worry if someone would be there to pick him up. 

 

"Okay guys.  It's Friday and you are spending the weekend with us, so let's gather your gear and head home.  You need a shower and Colin wants his big brother to sing to him," Brian said as he grabbed his car keys out of his pocket.  "Justin, why don't you take Gus since your car is already a trash heap from carting your supplies," he teased.

 

"Sure.  We'll meet you at home." Justin helped Gus gather his school back pack and his sport bag and walk them to the car.  Gus got in the car and they started toward Britin.

 

"That was really cool that Dad showed up.  The moms are always so frazzled. They argue all the time when one of them can't pick me up cuz they got tied up at work.  It's like I'm a bother."

 

"You aren't a bother, Gus.  Your dad and I want to be there for you."  Justin signaled and turned onto the highway.

 

"Have things gotten any better at home?"

 

"Better?"

 

"Are you still expected to watch JR when you're not with us?"

 

"Oh, that.  We'll yeah.  You would think that since the moms aren't taking me so many places they would have more time to get their stuff done. But it seems they don't have any more time then when they weren't taking me."

 

Justin sighed and wondered if he should respond, but before he could Gus continued, "You still think Dad can convince them to let me live with you?  I'd really like that.  Today was so cool when both of you showed up. That would never happen with the moms."

 

"I hope so.  But we can't worry about that right now.  What do you want to do this weekend?"

 

"Can we go to the movies?"

 

"Well, either your Dad or I could take you.  Colin is too young to take."

 

"Oh yeah.  Well. That would be okay.  Maybe one of you could take me to see The Secret Life of Pets."

 

"I'll talk to your dad.  For tonight, you need to shower and then we'll eat and play with Colin. He misses you."

 

"Really," Gus said, the enthusiasm evident in his voice.  "How do you know?  He can't talk."

 

"No, he can't.  But whenever we walk by your room, he seems to turn his head towards the door.  I think he's looking for you."

 

"That is so cool.  I'm so glad you guys had a baby.  Now I've got a brother and brothers are cool."

 

"We're happy too and you are a great big brother. We're just about home.  Go shower and then you can help me make dinner, if you want."

 

"Great.  Can we have spaghetti and meatballs? Tommy showed me this cool trick you can do with the noodles and I want to show you guys."

 

Justin shook his head, "I don't think your dad would appreciate any tricks with food, but we can still have spaghetti."

 

Justin parked the car and helped Gus carry in his gear and back pack.  Gus went up to take a shower and Justin went to the kitchen to gather the supplies for dinner.

 

 

 

TBC