- Text Size +

 

It had been two weeks and the arrangement with Gus seemed to be going well. There were a few hiccups when bad traffic or last minute deadlines occurred, but overall the men at Britin were handling their sons.  Lindsay and Melanie didn't seem to mind the extra time in their day and when Brian came to their home after the third week, Lindsay had Gus' schedule written out and provided it to Brian without a word.  Brian smiled as his plan appeared to be progressing just as he anticipated.  Soon, he would start to suggest Gus just stay over as it was easier for everyone involved to just have him sleep at their home.  Brian was not ready to push his plan just yet, so he took the proffered paper, smiled and told Gus he would see him tomorrow.

 

As Brian was driving back to Britin, his phone rang.  Pushing the button on his steering wheel to answer it, he looked at the caller ID.

 

"Hi Mikey," he said as he continued to drive on the highway.

 

"Brian. I can't believe you answered your phone.  I've been trying to reach you for a week."

 

"Busy, busy, Mikey.  Is there something you need?"  Brian was already tired of the conversation and just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.  Whenever Michael started a conversation with, "I've been trying to reach you.  Where have you been? Or are you ignoring me, you never pick up your phone?" Brian knew Michael was unhappy and the conversation would focus on Michael. 

 

Michael had been very against Brian and Justin having Colin.  Michael was still convinced that Colin was solely Justin's idea and that Brian had no interest in raising a child.  He had tried to talk Brian out of the idea and never failed to provide a dig regarding the time it was taking out of Brian's life.  True to form, Michael's life still revolved around Michael and he had difficulty seeing other people's lives as important.  When it came to Brian Kinney, everything that Brian did, Michael viewed in relation to himself. Having Colin was the ultimate in bad decisions from Michael's standpoint since Colin took up lots of Brian's time. 

 

"We haven't hung out in forever.  I thought we could go to Woody's tonight and shoot some pool."  Michael sat in his living room in his favorite Lazy Boy, his laptop on his lap as he surfed Ebay for any deals on collectibles. 

 

"No can do, Mikey.  I've got some work I need to finish."  Brian read the sign for West Virginia on the highway and mentally calculated that he had 15 minutes until he came to his exit. 

 

"It's Sunday.  You had all weekend to work.  I bet you just spent all your time with the baby. Why don't you have Justin watch him while you work?  If Justin watched the baby you would have more free time and we could go out," Michael said, his suggestion making perfectly good sense to him.  After all, Brian was his best friend and best friends took the time to spend time together.

 

"Colin is our son. We do things together.  And we have Gus on the weekends.  The four of us are busy."  Brian thought about all the things they did accomplish this weekend.  They had taken Gus shopping for new cleats, gone to his game and both he and Justin had done a little work as well.  They even managed to have sex. Sex had never been a problem in their relationship, but now it took a little more planning.  They could no longer look across the room and decide to have sex at a moment's notice.  Colin was too young to be left alone and while Gus could fend for himself, they did not want to drop everything for sex when he was there.  Their sex life had curtailed a lot since Colin had been born, but it was a sacrifice they were willing to make and one that they had anticipated.

 

"Well, tomorrow's Monday. You won't have Gus so why don't we plan on getting together at Woody's and play some pool."  Michael reached for the can of Pepsi on the end table and took several swallows, enjoying the sweet fizzy drink.

 

"I will have Gus tomorrow."

 

"What?  Since when do you have Gus during the week?"  Michael was surprised.  "What is wrong that you have Gus?  I should call Mel and Linds and make sure JR is okay."

 

"Nothing is wrong.  Linds and Mel are really busy so we are taking Gus after school."  Brian hated having to explain his life to anyone; it wasn't their business.  He had chosen to have Gus in his life and had offered to take care of him after school.  He didn't like that Gus was missing out on his childhood since Mel and Linds were using him as a babysitter when they were too busy to watch JR.  He also wanted to spend more time with his son, accepting that he missed out on many things when he wasn't involved in his life when he was an infant.

 

"Oh," Michael said, relief in his voice.  While he loved his daughter, he really did not want to be more involved than he was.  He was sure that he would step up and take JR if something were wrong with Mel and Linds but he did not relish that idea.  He loved JR but couldn't imagine spending every weekend with her much less seeing her during the week.  He took another drink of his soda, realizing that it was empty.  He went to the kitchen to grab another one and then returned to his chair. "So, how long is that going to last?  I mean you have to have some free time.  We haven't hung out in weeks."

 

"About 18 years."

 

"18 years.  You can't be serious Brian.  I need to see my best friend."  Michael was quickly getting perturbed at Brian.  Brian was treating this whole conversation way too lightly. 

 

"You can come to the house, if you want.  We could have dinner.  Make it about 8:30 or so.  I've usually returned Gus to his moms by then and Colin is sleeping for a few hours at that time of night. That would work."

 

"I don't want to come to your house.  I want to spend time with just you and shoot some pool, check out some hot guys and have a few beers."

 

"No can do, Mikey.  Come to the house or I guess you wait 18 years to see me.  We see you at least once a month at Deb's Sunday dinners.  That will have to do for now."

 

"But, Brian......"

 

"No buts, Mikey.  I'm no longer the Stud of Liberty Avenue.  I'm Brian Kinney, husband to Justin and father to Gus and Colin.  I'm also the owner of Kinnetik and Babylon.  All of these keep me really busy.  If you don't like what I can offer, I suggest you find another best friend.   I'm pulling into the driveway now, so I have to go.  Bye Mikey."  Brian clicked off the phone and ignored it when caller ID showed him that Michael was calling back.  He placed his phone on vibrate and went inside.

 

Justin greeted him with a kiss as he held Colin in one arm.  Colin looked toward Brian and made a cooing sound, recognizing the man as someone important in his life.  "See Colin says hello too.  According to the baby books, children start to talk at about 18 months and then by age two can put two and four word sentences together."

 

"Thank you Dr. Spock," Brian said tongue in cheek.

 

"What does Star Trek have to do with Colin talking?"  Justin said, confusion in his voice.  He kissed Colin and handed him to Brian.  Brian took the baby and kissed him on his forehead. 

 

"Your daddy, Justin doesn't know about the famous Dr. Spock.  He was a Pediatrician that wrote a famous book about parenting," Brian said as he explained the reference to Colin.  Colin just giggles at Brian's silly tone.

 

"You know about Dr. Spock?  I'm impressed."

 

"I know a great many things.  I just do not go around providing the public with random bits of information," Brian said, smiling as he looked at his husband.  "As for talking, if Colin is like you, I will never get a chance to say anything in this household.  It's hard enough with you and Gus."

 

Justin looked at Brian, determining that he was teasing and he went to the fridge to grab a bottle of water.  "Want one?" He asked Brian.

 

Brian walked to the living area and placed Colin on his play blanket.  He set him up with a few toys.  Instead of sitting down, he went to the liquor cart and poured a few ounces of JB in his glass.  "I want a shot of JB.  Mikey called on my way home."

 

Mention of Michael, Brian's so called ‘best friend' usually brought the hairs on Justin's neck to a stand.  He had always had a precarious relationship with the man and for a time he thought that they could be friends.  But through the years, he realized that Michael really had room for one friend and that was Brian.  Unfortunately for all of them, Michael's idea of friendship hadn't changed since they were 14.  

 

"So, what did Michael want?"

 

"To hang out."  Brian took a drink from his glass and enjoyed the slight burn as the liquor traveled down his throat.  There was a time when he would have had several shots in response to the irritation of a phone call, but he had matured through the years and didn't need alcohol to deal with his problems.

 

"If you want to hang out ....."

 

"No, Justin.  I do not want to hang out.  I have a family and I do not want to go to Woody's to shoot some pool, watch guys and have a beer.   I invited him here to spend time with me, but I made it clear that he would have to come after 8:30 and could only stay a few hours.  Of course, he declined."

 

"Are you sure?  I mean, you've been friends..."

 

"Stop.  I only do the things I want to do.  Haven't you learned that by now?  I told him that I'm not the Stud of Liberty Avenue anymore."

 

"You're still a stud to me.  Colin will be ready for bed in about half an hour.  What do you say to showing me how stud-ly you are?"

 

"Sounds like a plan.  Why don't I play with Colin and get him ready for bed?  I know you said you had some work to do and I doubt you've had any time this weekend to accomplish it."

 

"Actually, I do have a few emails I need to send about the upcoming show and I need to check my paint supply.  I'm going into town tomorrow to pick up Gus and I want to run by the paint store.  Why don't you call me when you're ready to put him down?  We can sing him his song together."

 

"Deal.  Now go take care of stuff and no picking up the paint brushes.  I have dibs on your sweet bubble butt."

 

 

 

Michael

 

Michael looked at the phone when Brian hung up for the second time. He was perplexed at his friend.  Brian hung up on me twice.  There must be something wrong.  After all, he said he'd been watching Gus for a few weeks after school.  Brian really wasn't the fatherly type.  I better call Linds and Mel and find out the real truth.

 

Before he could make the call, Ben came home.  "Hey.  You looked worried.  Everything okay?  Deb okay?  JR isn't sick again.  That cold she had last month seemed to last forever," he said as he walked over to Michael and leaned down to kiss him.

 

"I'm not sure; something seems off."

 

Ben hung up his grey jacket on the coat tree and sat down on the couch, facing his husband.  "I'm listening," Ben said, when Michael didn't start talking right away.

 

"I just got off the phone with Brian and the phone disconnected.  So I called him back and it disconnected again."

 

"Michael, signals in cars are notorious for dropping calls.  If that is all you're worried about, give Brian a call back.  I'm sure he'll talk to you."

 

Ben watched Michael and he realized that he wasn't telling him everything. Michael could not hide his emotions and when he was only telling a portion of the truth, he made this distinct grimace with his mouth.  The grimace was there, so Ben pushed a little harder.

 

"What were you guys talking about?  I know you've been trying to reach him for over a week."

 

"Yeah.  I wanted to get together, you know go to Woody's for a beer and some pool, but Brian turned me down."

 

"Maybe he was busy.  He is a very busy man; he's got a husband and two kids and two businesses.  I doubt he has a lot of free time."

 

"That's what he said.  I mean... well he said he was busy."

 

"Okay, Michael.  I don't want to play 20 questions with you.  You said you thought something might be wrong.  Brian being busy is not new and the lost connection can be easily explained. So what has you so concerned?"

 

"Well. He said that he is taking care of Gus after school because the girls are busy.  Do you think JR is okay?  Do we need to call Mel and Linds and find out?  I don't think anything is wrong, but why would he be watching Gus if everything was fine."

 

Ben nodded his head as he listened to Michael.   "You think there is something wrong?"

 

"No.  .... Well. Yes.  Maybe.  I don't know.  Why would Brian have Gus so much if everything was okay?  Mel and Linds are his parents, not Brian.  Why would he have Gus?"

 

"Gus is his son, Michael.  I imagine that he wants to spend more time with him.  Now that he has Colin, he probably is realizing how quickly kids grow up.  He wasn't around a lot when Gus was younger and now maybe he wants to be."

 

"But Gus lives with Mel and Linds.  Brian is just a part time dad, if that.  Why would he want Gus around so much?  He is so busy now and doesn't have time to do fun stuff anymore."

 

Ben listened to his partner and finally understood the crux of the issue.  It wasn't that he was worried about JR, but that he wanted time with Brian. 

 

"Michael, maybe you could hang out with him at his home?" Ben offered, hoping that would placate his husband. 

 

"Brian said I could come over one night and hang out after the kid went to bed.  But that isn't hanging out.  I want to play pool and drink a few beers. The last time I was there, Justin kept telling me to talk softer so I wouldn't wake the kid."

 

"So you're only wanting to hang out if you can go with Brian where you want to go?" Ben asked, getting perturbed as the conversation continued.  He loved his husband but he was tired of trying to get him to understand that Brian had a life away from him.

 

"Hanging out means being at Woody's or Babylon."

 

"I see.  Well. I think you are going to wait a long time to hang out with Brian.  From where I sit, he has other commitments that come first."

 

"That's what he said.  He said I'd have to wait 18 years.  That isn't fair.  I have a mind to go over there right now and tell him he can't treat his best friend like that."

 

Ben reached out his hand, placing it over Michael's and giving it a gently squeeze.  "I know you want your friend Brian to hang out with you and I understand that you miss the old times when you guys would spend many a night at your favorite hang outs.  However, Michael, that time is gone.  Brian is no longer the Stud of Liberty Avenue.  He is Brian Kinney -Taylor and his first commitments are to Justin and his kids.  You have been moved to 3rd place in his life."

 

"But I'm his best friend.  He can't do that."

 

"He is still your friend, Michael but he has other priorities.  The sooner you accept that, the better you can adapt to this new friendship.  If you keep expecting Brian to still be The Stud of Liberty Avenue, you will continually be disappointed."

 

Ben's phone beeped, interrupting his thoughts.  He took it out of his pocket and looked at the message.  It was from Hunter telling him that he would be home in an hour. 

 

"Hunter will be here in an hour.  I can think of better things for us to do than rehash your conversation with Brian.  Care to join me?"  Ben stood up and walked toward the bedroom, hoping Michael would join him. 

 

A few minutes later they were undressed and enjoying a quickie.