- Text Size +

 

Gus loved his time with his fathers and he felt wanted and cherished.  He knew that if he had an afternoon activity, one of his dads or Grandma Jenn would pick him up and take him there.  Sometimes Ms. Cynthia would show up.  He liked Ms. Cynthia, she always took him to the dollar store when he finished his activity so he could buy a new coloring book. 

 

It was the end of the week and he'd been at his Dads' house every night but one.  It was the end of soccer season next week and he was dreading it. He loved soccer, but more than soccer, he enjoyed going to his Dads' house on a regular basis.  He still had art class and the occasional after school play date, but the bi-weekly soccer practice and games were going to end and he wasn't happy.

 

Justin picked him up from school that day and he was very quiet. His soccer practice was a little later today due to the field being used for another team so Justin parked the car at the edge of the lot to wait.

 

"Hey big guy.  You're awfully quiet today.  Anything happen at school?"

 

"No, school's fine. I really liked my art class. My teacher says that I have an eye for color."

 

Justin smiled, happy that his tutelage was paying off.  "I think she is right.  You always come up with the most interesting color combinations and know just the right color to put on a canvas when you paint with me."

 

Gus smiled at the compliment but then looked out the window at the other teams practicing.

 

"Gus..." Justin said, the question obvious in his words.

 

"I don't want soccer to end," Gus said.

 

"It's been a good season.  Dad and I can sign you up for soccer camp this summer so you can practice.  You'll see, you will have even more skills for next season," Justin said, attempting to reassure his son.

 

"But that is this summer."

 

"It's only a few months away."

 

Justin looked at his son and he saw tears escape, as Gus tried to wipe away the evidence of his emotions.

 

"Gus?"

 

"You and Dad won't be picking me up from school and I have to go home if there isn't any practice."

 

Justin listened and understood.  Gus wasn't upset about soccer; he was upset about not spending time with his dads and Colin.

 

"You like spending time with us after school."

 

"Yeah.  I hate going home on days that I don't have stuff.  Mom makes you a schedule every week and I saw her making the schedule yesterday. I heard her telling Momma that they had to figure out something to do with me since there wasn't any more soccer.  Momma said a bad word and then she was cranky all night.  She kept slamming stuff on her desk and muttering under her breath."

 

Justin was furious. He didn't want to denigrate Gus' moms but it appeared that they were angry because they had to take responsibility for him and that it was an inconvenience.  He and Brian would have to talk and come up with a solution. 

 

"Gus.  Don't worry.  We'll figure something out.  I need some help in my studio next week.  Next week, I can pick you up after school and you can help me with my new project."

 

Gus beamed at Justin. "Really?  You think mom and momma will let me come?"

 

"Sure they will.  If I tell them you are going to help me out in the studio, then I'm sure they won't argue."

 

"Awesome."  Gus leaned over and gave Justin a big hug. 

 

Justin looked at the field and saw the other teams were dispersing.  He started the car and drove to the field, dropped Gus off and watched him join his teammates for their last practice.  His mind wandered and started thinking of any projects that Gus could assist him with at the studio or at home. 

 

It was 5:00 and Brian had told him he would meet them at the loft this evening.  He took a few deep breaths to lessen the tension in his body before he called his husband.

 

"Hey," Brian answered.  "I'll be there in about 10 minutes.  What kid friendly dinner have you and Gus cooked up for us tonight?  Don't tell me it is Mac and Cheese.  I don't think I could stomach looking at that again for a month.  How could that be a childhood staple, I have no idea.  The stuff is disgusting."  Brian made a grimace as he thought of all the carbs that he consumed when eating with his son. He wasn't surprised that children had an obesity problem if his son's eating habits were any indication.  He laughed at his thoughts.  He was sounding like Justin with his usual PSA's. 

 

"Oh.  I don't know but each time you eat Mac and Cheese, you feel that we need to have an extra session of sex to help you burn off the calories.  I think I like when we eat Mac and Cheese for dinner."  Justin grinned as he talked to his husband, secretly agreeing that Mac and Cheese was not his favorite dinner food.  He preferred burgers and fries, but there was something about home-made fries that never tasted as good as the kind you got in a restaurant.  He liked his fries from the diner and so did Brian, even though Brian would never admit to eating them.  He always just stole them from Justin's plate and laughed when Gus would question him about the action.

 

"Actually, I called for another reason.  I was talking to Gus and he is really upset."

 

"What the fuck did his mothers do now?"

 

"They didn't exactly do anything, more of what they said.  He overheard them talking yesterday when Lindsay was making the schedule for next week.  This is the last week of soccer practice and he heard them complaining about what they were going to do with him now that we aren't going to be picking him up as often."

 

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head in amazement at the situation.  "Fuck!"

 

"Yeah, it is fucked.  Really, why did they have children if they weren't willing to take the time to spend with them?  Babies are adorable, but they grow up and you still have to parent them."  Justin was just as frustrated with the situation as Brian and Gus. "I wish we could just go in and tell them we would take Gus full time so they don't have to ‘deal' with him."

 

"We can do just that," Brian said softly.  He'd been waiting for soccer season to be over to implement his next phase of the plan and the girls fell right into step with his thoughts.

 

"What?  We're just going to waltz into their house and tell them we are keeping Gus?"

 

Brian laughed at Justin's question and slight gullibility.  "No, not exactly.  But I think now may be the perfect time."

 

"Want to explain to me your thoughts, oh great and wonderful OZ?"

 

"Just leave it to me.  When we take him home tonight, we will all go in and let me do the talking."

 

"Okay.  Good thing I know you are a master at getting people to do what you want.  That is why Kinnetik is so successful." Justin felt his body relax and the tension leave his shoulders as he was comforted by Brian's talk.  "I love you.  Are you on your way here?"

 

"Yeah.  I think I'll meet you guys at the loft.  I'm going to pick up some food on the way.  I just don't want to stomach kid food another day.  When we have Gus living with us full time, he's going to have to learn to eat less crap.   I can only run so often on the treadmill and while I love our sex life, I don't want you to ‘suffer' from all the extra sex we would have to have if we continued to eat all that junk food."

 

Justin laughed. "Later."

 

"Later," Brian returned their favorite acknowledgment. 

 

Justin got out of the car and walked to the field to watch the end of practice.  Gus came up to him about 15 minutes later, sipping at his water bottle and holding his soccer ball under his arm. 

 

"So, ready to go to the loft and shower? Your dad is bringing food for dinner.  Seems he's not fond of more Mac and Cheese."

 

"Cool. Dad always has the best take out.  Not like the moms who eat all that Tofu stuff.  It leaves a funny feeling in your mouth.  Sort of like rubber and it really has no taste.  Mom likes to use it instead of meat in her lasagna but Grandma Debbie's lasagna is way better."

 

Brian always complained about the meals at the munchers and Justin did have to agree with him.  Tofu was not a food he would ever choose to eat on his own. He thought it would be fun to cook with Gus and teach him to make a lot of good food.  While he was a junk food addict, Brian had been rubbing off on him in the last few years regarding healthy eating.  He wouldn't admit to it, but he really liked eating less junk food.  He didn't think he would ever give up burgers and fries but he did see the advantage of a salad and veggies.  He'd read that cooking was a great way to spend time with children.  They would learn about healthy choices and it was easy to get them to open up while they were doing something else. 

 

They drove to the loft and Gus took a shower and then started on his homework while they waited for Brian to arrive.  When Brian arrived, the three of them went to the kitchen area.  Justin got down some plates while Gus gathered silverware and napkins for everyone.  He set the table and Brian got down glasses and filled them with water, bringing them to the table and placing them at each place setting.

 

Brian had brought burgers and fries for Gus and Justin and picked up a burger and a salad for himself.  He placed each order at the correct place on the table.

 

Gus unwrapped his burger and put more ketchup on it, biting into the bun and moaning in appreciation of the taste.  After swallowing he said, "Dad, Justin said I could help him in his studio next week on some projects.  Is it okay that you guys continue to pick me up after school?"

 

Brian's heart twisted at the request.  To an outsider, it sounded innocuous enough, but to him he knew that the question was really a plea for continued interaction and protection from his tumultuous home life. Brian stabbed a few lettuce leaves and popped them into his mouth, ensuring that he was not ravenous when he bit into the tasty burger. "Sure.  I might even have some things you could do at Kinnetik."

 

Gus' smile filled his entire face at the mention of helping his dad at Kinnetik.  "Really?  That would be so cool.  I want to work at Kinnetik when I grow up."  He took another bite of his burger and watched his fathers.

 

Justin ate a few French fries and poured more ketchup on his plate as the ketchup had run out.  "I need all my brushes really cleaned and I'll teach you how to stretch canvas.  We can look at some local contests too.  I know you're really talented and I'd like to see you enter some."

 

"Cool."

 

Brian ate a few more bites of salad and then started enjoying his hamburger.  When he had finished about half of it, he asked, "Do you have homework today?  I want to get to your moms a little early.  I have something I want to discuss with them."

 

"Are you going to ask them about next week?  I'm sure they will say yes.  I heard them talking about how they didn't know what they would do with me after soccer finished this week." Gus looked down at his plate, not really wanting to look into his Dad's face when he answered.

 

The look between Brian and Justin was filled with anguish for their son but also with determination that they were going to do everything in their power to address it. "Hey, sonny boy, don't be sad.  Justin and I are going to talk to your moms.  Everything will work out, you will see."

 

"Brian..." Justin said, worried that they were giving Gus potentially false hope.

 

"It will be fine, Justin.  Trust me.  No child of mine will ever feel unwanted."

 

They finished the meal in silence, each person lost in their own thoughts.  After dinner, Gus went to the little desk that Justin used to use to do his homework.  Brian watched his son take out his math book from his backpack and turn to the correct page.  He took a sheet of paper from his notebook and started to copy the problems.  Justin watched and walked over to Brian.

 

"Remember when I use to use that desk to do my Calculus?  It seems a life time ago."

 

"Back then, I didn't exactly appreciate your presence in my loft.  How times have changed?  Now, I can't imagine my life without you in it."  He hugged Justin from the side as they watched Gus complete his work.  "Don't you have some laundry to do?  I can smell Gus' uniform from this afternoon," Brian said as he changed the subject.

 

Justin laughed, still finding it amusing that Brian occasionally had difficulty sharing his feelings. Gone were the days when Brian would keep him guessing regarding his feelings, and he was happy that their relationship was on solid ground. They were married, had a child and if Brian was correct in his assumption, were soon to have Gus with them as well.  He would never have dreamed that 10 years ago when he met Brian under that street lamp he would be here.

 

When Gus finished his homework, he closed his books and put them in his back pack.  "Daddy, I'm done.  Can we play a card game or watch a show?"

 

"Not tonight.  We're going to go your moms and I'm going to talk to them.  Go grab your stuff and we'll get going.  Justin has to go home to take care of Colin."  Brian went to Justin, giving him a quick kiss on the lips.  He whispered in his ear, "It will be fine.  I'll see you later.  I probably won't be home in time to help with Colin's bed time, but tomorrow I should be able to."

 

Justin nodded and walked over to Gus.  "I'll give Colin a big hug and kiss for you.  You listen to Daddy and let him talk to your mommies."

 

"Okay."  Gus gave Justin a big hug and grabbed his backpack.  "Ready, Daddy."

 

All three left the loft; Brian and Gus headed toward the munchers and Justin toward West Virginia.

 

 

 

TBC