- Text Size +

 

Fallout

Lindsay and Melanie watched Brian and his family walk out of Debbie's home.  Lindsay was crying softly, saying, "my baby, my baby...I've lost my baby" while Mel was cursing Brian, calling him every derogatory name she could think of.

While Deb tried to distract everyone with the offer of Emmett's famous chocolate cake, no one was paying her any attention.  Ted knew about the custody papers Brian waved in front of the group and he was privy to Gus' current living situation.  He had made sure Gus was set up with paper and crayons during the visits that he made to Kinnetik when Brian needed to pick him up and couldn't go home immediately.  His information about Gus' soccer playing came from their interactions at Kinnetik.  He had not found it prudent to mention it to either Mel or Lindsay as he was aware of the potentially volatile situation.

"Ted, did you know that Gus was living with Brian and Justin?" Drew asked.  Of the people at the table, he had the least interaction with Mel and Linds and their children.  Emmett often saw the gang in town when they came to his shop to buy cookies or cakes and he thought that he would know of the situation.

"Yes, I knew. Gus has been a frequent visitor to Kinnetik lately."

"I didn't know.  He told me that he had Gus after school, but he never said anything about having him all the time. I bet that was Justin's idea.  I should call and see if he wants to hang out and have some adult time.  I'm going to call him and talk to him." Michael started to push his chair away from the table, but stopped when he heard Debbie.

"You will do no such thing.  If Brian wanted to tell you, then he would have. Leave the man alone."

"But Ma.  I know Brian, and he never signed up to be a father full time."

"Michael, I suggest you let Brian and Justin decide what they want instead of telling them what you think," Ben said as he put his hand on his husband's arm.  "Gus isn't your child."

"But J.R. is my child and if Brian and Justin have Gus living with them, then maybe..."

"Stop, Michael,"  Ben got up and pulled Michael to a standing position as well.  "Let's talk," he said and propelled the reluctant man toward the back yard.  It seemed that Debbie's back yard was the place of refuge for many of the family today.

"Michael. This situation does not involve you, so please stop.  Brian and Justin have Gus at their home and based on what Brian said, he's been there for a while.  It's none of our business and we shouldn't comment on the situation," Ben told his husband as he walked him away from the door to the back section of the yard.  Debbie had two old lawn chairs out there and they walked there to sit. 

Michael looked around the yard, the streetlight on the corner always placed a strange glow on the area and tonight it gave an otherworldly gleam to the area.

"Ben,  I know this is not like Brian. He would never volunteer to have Gus full time. This is all Justin's doing.   I'm  sure that Justin wanted  the two kids and the picket fence.  I just can't believe that Brian is letting him get away with this.  "

"Michael,  listen to yourself.   You've known Brian since you were 14 and you're always telling me that Brian never does anything that he doesn't want to do.  He loves Justin and Gus and I'm sure that Gus didn't just show up at his doorstep and tell him, I want to live  here."

Michael listened to his husband but he really didn't know what to think.  He knew that Brian never did anything he didn't want to do, but on the other hand he didn't think Brian would just take on Gus full time.  "Ben,if Gus is having problems, then maybe J.R. is too. We should do something."

"And, what do you think this something is?   Do you really think we are ready to be full time parents?  You've always seemed fine with the idea of being a part time father.  You've never expressed a desire to have children of our own.  "

Ben looked at his husband and wondered, not for the first time, where his husband's obsession with Brian Kinney would lead their lives.  It often seemed to Ben that Michael lived his life in the shadow of Brian, choosing activities based on what he thought Brian would do.  If Brian went to Woody's, then Michael had to go.  If Brian expressed an opinion, then Michael would automatically agree, even if he had no idea what the topic meant to him.   However, when Brian got married to Justin, his husband had thrown a fit.   Brian can't really want that and Justin pushed him into it.   When they told their friends they were having a child, Michael had been livid.   He could not be convinced that this was something Brian wanted.   This latest development, having his older son live full time with him, just added fuel to Michael's fire regarding his "best friend's " life. 

Looking at his husband again, he repeated the question, "Michael, since when do you want  to be a full time parent?  Are you really up for that  job?  Because if you go in there questioning Gus living with Brian...    Question if J.R. is safe in Mel and Linds care.... Are you stating that you want J. R. full time?  If you are, then are ready to be a full time parent with all the responsibility  that entails.  If not, then I suggest we talk about what you do want."

Michael opened his mouth to answer and then the door opened and Emmett came out with two plates of chocolate cake. "Lordy, the air is so thick in there.   I almost didn't need a knife to cut my cake.   I put away a big piece for Gus.   I know he was disappointed that he didn't  get to eat any since Brian and Justin left so abruptly."  Feeling the tension between the two men sitting in the yard, he handed them their plates and said,  "Well, I think I should go see if Drewsie is ready to leave.  I think he has some practice tapes to watch."   He turned and walked back to the house.

Michael took a bite of the cake.  "This is great.   I wish Emmett lived closer.   I would have him make cake all the time."  Michael ate his cake and concentrated on the plate rather than looking at Ben.   "Aren't you going to eat your cake?" he asked as he noticed Ben just holding the plate.

"No, I'm not going to eat the cake.   Stop delaying and answer my question, Michael."

"I guess I could be a parent full time.   I just never thought about it.   It couldn't be that hard, if Brian is doing it.   I mean if we had J.R. then Brian and I could do dad stuff together.   We could hang out again.  That would be fun.   Colin isn't all that much younger than J.R. and they could grow up together.   That would be fun.  I never had any brother's and sisters when I was growing up.   Sure."

Ben shook  his head, not believing the way his husband 's mind connected everything in his life to Brian.  "Michael, this isn't about what Brian is or is not doing.   Raising a child is a serious commitment.   Raising J.R. takes a lot of time.   This is not some quick decision.   This isn't about Brian and you hanging out with him.   It's about J.R."

Michael took Ben's chocolate cake, stabbing the piece in his typical fashion. "I know.   Brian has the baby and  he seems to be okay.   I can't believe it would be so hard."

Ben stood up and walked around the chairs.  He was beyond exasperated.  He was not getting through to his husband.  He did not want to raise J.R. and really did not think Michael did either, but rather he saw this as an opportunity to spend time with Brian.   "Michael, why don't you spend more time with J.R. first.   We only see her a few times a month.  If you really want to be a parent, a full time parent, then you need to go into this decision with your eyes wide open.   I'm not ready to be a full time  parent."

"But if Brian can do it..."

"This is fucking not about Brian.  It's about J.R. and being parents.  Don't you get that?  Brian has Gus since Mel and Linds evidently were too busy to be with him.   We have no history of being with J.R.  more than a few hours a month and I don't think we should rush into this. I also think there is more to this situation then either of us know or understand.  I don't think we are in a position to just demand J.R."

Michael finished Ben's cake, dragging the fork across the plate to get the last of the rich icing. 

"So we're going in there and telling Mel and Linds we want J.R. more because we think that J.R. isn't safe."  Michael stood up and Ben pushed hm down in his seat. 

"Michael are you even listening to me or yourself?"  Ben stood up and gestured wildly with his hands.  "Until an hour ago, did the idea of having J.R. on a full time basis ever enter your mind?"  Ben ran his hand over his face and through his hair.  "Your whole conversation regarding J.R. is a result of Brian announcing he has custody of Gus.  " We have no reason to believe that J.R. isn't safe or well cared for.   We can go in the house and ask to spend more time with her.  But I would only do that if you are really serious about increasing your role in her life.  If you are asking for more time with her because Brian is caring for Gus, then..."

  "Then what?" Michael stood up, his anger making him red in the face.

Ben recognized that Michael was beyond reasoning with at this point.  He needed to rein him in and calm him down before they returned to Debbie's living room.  If he didn't, then who knew what would come out of his mouth. 

"Michael, please sit down," Ben said quietly.  Ben sat in one of the lawn chairs and patted the other for Michael to join him.  "I know you are worried about J.R.. So what if after a month or so, we get the feeling that something isn't right, then we discuss more active parenting."

Michael stood up again and started walking toward the back door gain.

"Michael...," Ben said.   "You will not go in their accusing the girls of anything, right?"

"Ok.   I will just ask for more time with J.R.  Is that okay?" Michael said as he looked at Ben. "She's my kid.   Maybe, I should..."  Michael said , recognizing Ben's tone and understanding that he meant business.  Ben seldom raised his voice, but when he did, Michael knew he should pay attention.

"How about I do the talking?" Ben suggested, but didn't get a response from his husband.

"Michael....   "  Ben said a little exasperated. Standing again, he reached out to hold Michael's hands in his hands, gently squeezing them.   "Michael, you realize this is a touchy situation.   Tempers are high.  We don't want to appear not to trust Mel and Linds."

"Ok, but if they say no...I'll.."

"You'll  what?   You are not going in there and  threatening them.  J.R. appears well fed and clean and happy.   We really don't know what is going on with Gus, Brian and Justin.  It's not our concern.  J.R. is our daughter and we should be interested in her, not what would Brian do."

"But Brian has..."

"Stop, Michael.   This isn't about Brian.  Leave him out of this discussion for once."

Michael let out a big sigh, and said," Okay"  He secretly didn't agree with Ben, but he accepted that  Ben wasn't going to give an inch. 

The two men went into the house where it appeared that everyone stopped talking and looked at them as if their appearance was a surprise. 

"I've got two pieces of cake left.  One for each of you.  Now sit your asses down and eat your cake.  Everyone else is finished."

"Yes, ma," Michael said as he pulled out his chair to sit at the table.

Ben pulled his chair back as well, but pushed the cake plate away.   "No thanks, Deb.   I've eaten way too much food already."

"You sure, honey.  Em and Gus worked real hard on it." 

"No, I'm sure.  Why don't you save it for Gus.   I'm sure he would want a piece."

"My baby, Gus.  He  has my baby, " Lindsay cried and tears ran down her cheeks.

"I still can't believe that bastard, Kinney took our son.  How dare he..."

Lindsay turned toward her partner and said, "I want my baby."

Mel reached over and hugged lindsay and said, "He can't keep Gus.   I'll make sure he won't even be able to see him.  That bastard."

No one said a word at the table.  Knowing Brian and Justin as they did, they believed there was more to this situation then any of them knew.  While Brian loved Gus, any one of them could see that through his interactions;  he had never expressed a desire for the little boy to live with him full time.  Since Justin returned to Pittsburgh, Brian and Justin had made it a point of having him stay with them most weekends and holidays and took him for a vacation several times a year.  He was very involved in the child's life.  Even before Justin returned, Brian had made it a point of seeing him at least once a week and he kept him when his mother's were busy with activities.  Something major must have happened and no one was willing to share their speculation about the situation.  None of them, save Ted and possibly Emmett, knew was that Gus was now living with Brian and Justin and had been for over a month. 

"Drew and I will be going, Deb.  Thanks for the great meal.  I'll just box up the chocolate cake, I'll make sure that Gus gets his piece," Emmett said as he brought the leftover cake toward the kitchen.

"Emmett Honeycutt!!  How dare you support that bastard Kinney?  I bet you've known all along that he had Gus,"  Melanie yelled at his retreating back.

Emmett did not respond.  Of course he knew that Gus was living with Brian and Justin.  The girls were making it sound like Brian kidnapped him, but that was far from the case.  He'd pay Brian a visit at Kinnetik tomorrow to see if he needed anything.  He knew this could get ugly.  He placed the few remaining pieces of cake in the plastic container, making sure to put toothpicks on the top to not smear the icing. 

"Ready Drewsie?   I've got a few parties to start planning for and I think I need to go home."  He knew that this wasn't the truth, but he was not going to sit here while Mel and Linds blasted his friends for something that they did.

Drew walked over to Debbie and kissed her on the cheek.  "Dinner was great."

Deb watched as the other family members took their plates to the kitchen and loaded them in the dishwasher.  Blake was standing by the sink, washing dishes and directing everyone with chores to put her home back in order.  She was thankful for the help, although her and Carl would have managed it on their own.  The home was back in order in just under thirty minutes. Everyone went to kiss Deb goodbye and shake Carl's hand. In just a short half hour, their home was quiet and no one would guess there had been such drama there for most of the afternoon.

Debbie went to the couch and sat down and Carl sat down as well.

"What do you think, hon?  Do you think the girls just forgot about Gus living there?  I can't believe that a mother would do that, but then Brian had those papers he was waving around.  It was like he expected problems.  Brian loves those boys and I know that he would do anything for them.  While early on, he was not very involved with Gus, that hasn't been the case for many years," Deb said as she reviewed the afternoon's events out loud.

"I'm not sure what to think, Red.  But I agree that something is up.  As you said, Brian bringing those papers to the dinner, that screams at me that he expected a scene."

"You know, now that you mention it, I was in the kitchen when Em and Gus were making their cake.  Lindsay came in and Gus told her to go away when she tried to kiss him. I've never seen him do that.  Maybe there is really something going on.  You think I should go to Brian's and talk to him?"

"I see where Michael gets it,"  Carl remarked as he gently laid his hand on Debbie's thigh. "This is really between Brian, Justin, Mel and Linds.  I'm sure that if there is trouble, Brian has already talked to his lawyer.  He leaves nothing to chance.  The one I feel sorry for is Gus.  Mel and Linds acted like everything was fine and they had total say so in what he did.  If he hadn't mentioned soccer camp, I'm sure something would have happened when they were ready to leave."

Debbie smiled at Carl's remark, but didn't argue.  "Did you see how mad Mel got when he mentioned soccer camp?  The more I think about this afternoon, the more I have to agree with you, dear.  Brian expected there to be trouble, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the papers.  I just hope it doesn't get ugly."

"Me too, Red,"  Carl said as he leaned over and kissed her.  "They've all gone home and we have the house to ourselves,"  Carl said as his head tilted and he smiled widely.

"Why Carl Horvath... I like the way you think."

****

Brian and Justin put Colin in his car seat and made sure Gus had his seatbelt on before pulling away from Debbie's house.  They were each reliving the conversations from this afternoon, but everyone was quiet for the first half of the ride.

"Daddy,"  Gus said from the back seat.  "Can I still go to soccer camp?  Mama Mel got really mad when I said I was going, but you said I could."

Brian gripped the steering wheel and took several deep breaths trying to calm himself and refrain from yelling.   "I already registered you for camp.  Ms. Chloe will take you there and bring you home since it is only a few hours in the morning.  There is a park near by and she mentioned taking Colin there while you have camp. Of course, if it's too hot, then she'll take Colin somewhere cool while you practice and then pick you up."

"Yeah," he yelled.

Justin turned around from the front seat and took his hand palm down and lowered it as he looked at Gus.  "Remember, Colin gets upset with lots of loud noises.  I'm glad you're excited, but you need to keep your voice at a conversational level."

"Sorry, Daddy Justin.  I was just excited."

"I know you were, buddy.  Just try to remember to not yell inside."

"Ok."

Gus looked out the window for bit and then asked, "Daddy, am I going to go live with Mommy again?  I like it a lot at your house.  You play with me and read to me and Daddy Justin paints with me.  And I don't have to watch J.R. and I have my Star Wars City and I don't come home by myself and ..."

"I don't think so, but you might stay there sometimes like you used to stay at our house," Brian answered.  He was not going to go into all the legal issues with a 10 year old and while he thought he had everything figured out, in this case, the lawyers might be the one to decide. 

"Ok.  I guess that would be okay.  Sometimes I miss my Mommy and Momma," he answered truthfully.

Brian cringed a little at the statement, but wasn't going to push Gus to pick a favorite parent.  While he had no favorite parent, both were equally vile and reprehensible; he had  heard enough horror stories from colleagues and his staff to understand that custody issues were never easy.  He hoped to shield Gus from any difficulty, but he also knew that he would fight for his son.  No way was he just going to give him back to his mothers.  These were the women who said they just were too busy and had too many engagements to be running around taking their son to his activities.

Brian felt his grip on the steering wheel get stronger and Justin recognized his tension.  He gently lay his hand on Brian's thigh, making small circles on the sensitive area. He squeezed his leg in comfort and saw that his actions were relaxing his partner.

They were almost to their home when Gus asked, "Can we watch a movie?  We left Grandma's house early and I've finished all my homework."

"Sure, buddy.  I think that is a great idea.  What do you want to watch?" Justin asked.  He realized they all needed to unwind from the angst filled afternoon and a movie would allow Gus to let his imagination run wild.  Since the movie would most likely be animated, Justin would be able to lose himself in the graphics and Brian could choose to either play with Colin, watch the movie or do a little of both. 

"I think I want to watch The Secret Life of Pets.  It's got all kinds of animals and they do funny things."

Justin grinned at the mention of the movie, having watched it earlier in the week with Gus and finding it adorable.  "That sounds like fun.  We can make a big bowl of popcorn too."

"You just finished dinner," Brian said.

"But we left before dessert," Justin reminded him.

"I wanted to eat my chocolate cake.  Aunty Em and I worked really hard on it."

"I bet Aunty Em took some home for you.  Do you want me to call him and see?"

Gus practically bounced in his seat.  "Yes.  Do it now.  I really want my chocolate cake.  Can you go get it now?"

Justin called Emmett.  "Hey Emmett,"

"Hi Sweetie.  What can I do for?"

"Well, Gus and I were wondering if there was any chocolate cake left?  We kind of left in a hurry and he wanted to eat his."

"Of course.  I took it home and was going to bring it by Kinnetik tomorrow.  Would that work?"

Justin said to Gus, "he offered to take it to Daddy's work tomorrow.  Would that work?"

Gus nodded his head in agreement.

"Perfect.  Thanks so much, Em.  Gus was really bummed that he didn't get any, especially when you guys worked so hard on it."

"Of course, sweetie.  He's the best little helper.  I took the liberty of taking all the cake Deb had left.  I'm sure you want your piece too.  I even have a small piece for that husband of yours, even though we all know that he doesn't eat chocolate cake.  I'll just put it with yours and he can take a bite. I'll never tell."

Both Justin and Gus giggled at Emmett's explanation, but neither of them commented.  They both realized the truth in Emmett's words, but knew better than to say it out loud.

"Well, thanks a lot Em.  We will look forward to it. Have a good night."  Justin hung up the phone, not wanting to ask how the rest of the dinner went.  He was sure that he would have several differing reports by the end of the day tomorrow.  For now, he wanted to spend the rest of the weekend with his family. 

Brian pulled the car into the garage. He got out and moved to unbuckle Colin while Justin unlocked the house.  He hoisted Colin and asked Gus to grab the diaper bag.  Not for the first time, he marveled at the changes in his life.  He, Brian Kinney, stud of Liberty avenue was carrying a baby into his home.  He was looking forward to spending time playing with said baby and watching an animated film with his 10 years old son.  How his life had changed and he realized he wouldn't change anything about it.  Well, truth be told, he wished that this whole stupid custody thing would just go away and he could raise his son.

"Gus," Brian said.  "You can watch the movie, but you need to take your shower and get your P.J.'s on first.  This way when the movie is over, you can go directly to bed.  And if you give us any trouble about going to bed, we won't watch any movies on school nights."

"Okay, Daddy.  I'll go upstairs right now."  He rushed up the stairs and within less than 5 minutes the water from the hall bathroom could be heard.

"You're a good dad," Justin said as he grabbed Colin from Brian and placing him on the mat that he had placed down on the floor.  "Why don't you go change too.  Once Gus goes to bed..." Justin licked his lips and smiled very large at Brian as his eyes traveled up and down his body.

"How long is the damn movie?"  Brian said as he returned the look and felt himself harden in his jeans.

"An hour and a half.  You can wait that long. Besides, Colin will be hungry soon and he probably needs a bath too.  If you give him one, the movie should be almost over when you are done feeding, changing and bathing him."

"The things I do for your body...." Brian said, tongue in cheek.

"You so loveee me," Justin sing- songed as he watched his husband quickly go upstairs to change.

Brian shook his ass a little extra as he walked up the stairs and Justin laughed at his antics.

"Twat," Brian said as he continued up the stairs.

"But I'm your twat," Justin yelled.

"Yes, you are and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Gus came down in record time and they made popcorn for their movie.  Brian had grabbed Colin and had  finished feeding him. 

"Say good night to your big brother Gus and your Daddy Justin.  You're going to take a bath and then I'll read you a story,"  Brian said as he placed Colin in kissing distance of both Gus and Justin.  After kisses and good nights, Brian retreated upstairs to take care of Colin while Justin and Gus watched the movie. 

When it was over, Gus gave Justin a kiss and hug.  "Thanks Daddy Justin. I love that movie.  Are you taking me to school or is Daddy?"

Justin returned the hug and said, "I'm taking you tomorrow.  Daddy has to be at work really early, but he will pick you up at school.  I have an afternoon meeting."

"Okay.  See you in the morning."  Gus walked upstairs and went to bed.

Justin turned on the alarm,  turned off the lights and went upstairs.  He found Brian laying on the bed, naked with a large bottle of lube.  Justin licked his lips and quickly undressed, letting his clothes drop to the floor.  He was hard before he even got to the bed.

"Make love to me, Brian.  I need you inside me."

"Bossy, aren't you?" he teased as he lightly touched Justin's hard erection.

"No foreplay.  It's been a long day and I need you," Justin said as he lay down on his stomach.

Brian wasn't going to argue or tease Justin for he needed the joining as much as he did.  He tasted Justin's ass, inhaling the aroma that was unique to him.  He never tired of making love to his husband, something that surprised him at times.  He'd been with Justin for 10 years and sex with him never got old. 

Justin didn't want a lot of foreplay and neither did he.  He poured some lube on his fingers and prepared him quickly.  He tapped Justin knees, signaling  him to get on all fours, seeing the glistening hole winking at him, and aligning his cock with the hole.  Pushing swiftly, he breached the first ring and waited for Justin's signal that he could proceed.  As eager as he was to take his husband, he never wanted his pleasure to result in pain for Justin.  Justin signaled him in record time, and he moved quickly in and out, bringing moans of pleasure  from both of them.  Before they both wanted, their bodies were reaching their pinnacles and each man yelled out the other's name.

Justin collapsed on the bed and Brian stayed on top of him until his breathing returned to normal. 

"Love you," Justin murmured.

"Me too," Brian said.

Brian rolled over and reluctantly Justin went to grab their wet cloth to clean up. 

"Got to change the sheets.  There a mess," Justin said as he came back with the cloth.  "I'm not sleeping in the wet spot."

Reluctantly Brian got off the bed and they changed the sheets quickly.  They lay in bed, Justin's head on Brian's chest, the only noise their soft breathing. 

"Do you think Mel will fight us?  I mean.."

"Shh.  Not now.  Let's sleep and enjoy each other.  Nothing will happen tonight."

"Okay," Justin said as he closed his eyes and allowed his body to relax into sleep.

Brian, on the other hand did not follow his own advice and it was a long time until his brain shut down long enough for him to attempt sleep.

 

TBC