- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Last time-  Gus was picked up by Brian and Justin at school.  Lindsey and Mel were there and tried to get him to come home with them.   Will there be a fallout?  Read and find out.

 

 

Justin heard the tinge of unease in Brian's voice as he answered his phone.  He knew Brian was confident regarding custody of Gus, but he also knew he didn't want to drag out the proceedings, nor did he want it to go to a court of law.  He was anxious to get his few tasks done before Gus went to play with Colin, but he wanted to hear the conversation.  He motioned for Brian to put the phone on speaker and he sat down on the black leather couch to listen to the conversation.

 

"Hello Lindsey.  What can I do for you?" He did not want to bring up that he had a business to run.  Knowing Lindsey as he did, he felt she would try to manipulate that sentence into demonstrating that he was too busy for Gus.  He sat down in the large executive chair behind his wooden desk and squeezed his forefinger and thumb across the bridge of his nose.  He pushed the speaker button so Justin could hear all the conversation.  He really did not want to have to replay the conversation once it was over.  He decided it would be nerve wracking the first time and he did not want to get angry all over again.

 

"Brian..." Linds drawled in her best WASP voice.  "I just wanted to talk to you.  Can't the mother of your child just call to say hi.  It's been so long since we had a proper chat." Lindsay sat in her light yellow kitchen chair, the dirty dishes still cluttering the countertops and mail strewn all over the kitchen table.

 

"Lindsay,.... What do you want?  You and I both know that you did not call to just say hi."

 

"Well, alright.  I'm calling about Gus.  I think he should come live with us.  We are his mothers and he's used to our family." Lindsay sat up straight in her chair, attempting to give herself an air of authority

 

"I see," Brian said as he poured another shot of whiskey into his glass.  This time he did not drink it, but rather swirled it around the glass, watching the amber liquid slosh up and down the sides. 

 

"Brian,  you know we've been really busy with our jobs and you were really great to offer to help out, but things have settled down now and we want Gus back."  Lindsay said as she tried to come up with arguments for Brian. She sat in her kitchen, looking at the mess and thinking if Gus were there, he would have cleared the table and put the dishes in the dishwasher; it was one of his jobs.  With him being gone, those tasks had fallen to Mel and Linds and they had been really too involved in their careers to notice how those tasks were left undone. 

 

"I have a full time job and so does Justin.  That is no excuse, Lindsay," he said using her full name, rather than Linds, the name he called her the majority of the time.  Brian looked at Justin, seeing him play with his water bottle, twirling it in his hand.  He wanted to go over and take the bottle away, kiss his husband and hang up on Lindsay, but he did not do any of those things.  Instead he listened to his long time friend try to convince him of something that wasn't going to happen.

 

"But you have Chloe.  She helps so much.  We don't have anyone."

 

"Lindsay, you could easily have hired someone to help out.  I gave you plenty of money."

 

"But Brian, raising two children is expensive.  There is day care, clothing, food, and activities.  There just isn't enough money.  If you gave us more money, then we could hire someone like Chloe."

 

"Bullshit, Lindsay.  I already give you money for most of those things and the amount of money I give you is sufficient to take care of J.R. as well.  What do you do with all the money that I give you?" Brian said in a tone that brooked no discussion.

 

"Briannnnnnnn,"  Lindsay stretched the syllables of his name, choosing not to answer his questions.

 

"Lindsay, I think you miss the money, more than you miss Gus."

 

"He's my son.  How can you say that?"

 

"Easily.  Justin and I had Gus living with us for over a month before you even realized he wasn't coming home at night.  It was only when he mentioned going to soccer camp and Mel realized that it was very expensive that you realized he wasn't with you."

 

"Of course, I knew he was living with you.  He's my son," Lindsay protested.

 

"Really.  If he was really that important, you would have been calling and talking to him, checking up on him and seeing what he was up to.  Neither you nor Mel did that.  I would hate to be the child whose parents didn't care enough to find out how I was......Oh wait.  I was that child and I refuse to let Gus follow in those footsteps."

 

"Brian....You can't possibly compare Mel and I to your parents.  We don't lay a hand on our children and would never belittle them like your parents did."  Lindsay felt a stabbing pain in her belly and she broke out in a sweat when Brian compared her and Mel to his parents.  

 

"In my book what you have done to Gus is the same as what my parents did to me; it's called emotional abuse and you and Mel are just as guilty of abuse as my parents were.  If you think your absence from Gus's daily life hasn't impacted him, then you think wrong.   Letting a 10 year old come home to an empty house and having him watch his five year old sister is neglect.  Threatening him with not seeing me or Justin if he doesn't do as he is told, that is abuse.  Don't fool yourself in thinking he's just a kid and doesn't understand what is happening.  Gus is very bright and he has told me he doesn't want to go back to living with you.   He feels safe and that we want him here and that is how it is going to stay."

 

"He's just a child.  Of course we love him and want him.  We wouldn't hurt him.  He must have misunderstood,"  Lindsay said, trying to convince herself and Brian at the same time.  She looked around the kitchen, noticing the mess on every surface.  She sighed at the clutter her life had become.

 

"Oh he understands Lindsay.  You are always telling me how smart he is.  Well his intelligence does not wax and wane depending on who he is living with and the attention they give him. He is staying here.  I suggest you talk to your she wolf and decide if you even wants to keep your other child.  I have a feeling you may have a battle on your hands where she is concerned.  As for Gus, there will be no battle.  He remains with us.  Now I have things to do before my son finishes his homework.  Goodbye."  Brian pushed the button to disconnect the call and turned toward Justin.

 

"Do you think she'll fight it?"  Justin asked, worried about a legal battle.

 

"I don't think so.  At least I hope she doesn't.  She'll lose."

 

"That stuff about abuse and neglect..."

 

"Sunshine, I have lived that life and no child of mine will go down that road if I can help it.  I wasn't exaggerating, what she and Mel did to Gus is neglect and abuse.  No judge would take Gus from them for those things or at least I don't think so.  But... there would be oversight and possibly counseling."   Brian placed the phone in his pocket and walked over to the couch, sitting next to Justin.   He leaned over and placed a chaste kiss on his lips and sat back, to continue his train of thought.    "We are protecting Gus but I do wonder about J.R..   Hopefully the professor will see what is going on with Gus and try to have J.R. over to his home more often.  I know that Mikey has no clue about raising a child, nor do I think he really has an interest in it."

 

"I agree.  I think he sees her as a way to be equal to you.  You know the fatherhood thing.  Anything he can do to be like Brian."

 

"Debbie loves her but we all know how Mikey turned out with Deb as his only parent.  I wouldn't wish Mikey as a sole parent on any child.  The professor is the one who interacts with her at the Sunday dinners and I imagine when they have her for an extended period of time, it is more his influence than Mikey's,"  Brian said as he pictured Ben playing with J.R. at the last family dinner.

 

"I didn't think Ben wanted to have children,"  Justin asked, finding the change in subject a relief after the intense conversation with Lindsay.  He drank some of his water and then continued to twirl the small bottle in his hands. 

 

"I think his HIV status made him cross that option off his list of lifetime experiences.  But with Mikey fathering J.R., he has embraced the opportunity.  He appears to be very good with her and you know that he is smart.  He has a doctorate in literature.  At least he can read some of those piles of parenting books that you are always trying to get me to read,"  Brian said tongue in cheek.

 

"You know you learn stuff every time you read an article, and I don't have you read everything, just some stuff,"  Justin said as he defended his practice of PSA's with his husband.

 

"Stop." Brian said as he held up his hand in a flat motion in front of his body.  "We are not discussing child rearing techniques at this time.

 

"Okay.   So do you think we should say something to Ben?  I mean, the girls surely aren't going to tell him what is going on.  And I hate to say that Michael's only interest is that you and he are both fathers, but you know that has some merit."  Justin finished his bottle of water and placed the empty bottle on the cherry wood coffee table.  

 

Brian took a small sip of the whiskey he had poured earlier.  "That is an idea.  Not that we need anyone on our side, but I know Gus misses J.R. and I don't want to put him in the position of having him to ask the munchers to see her.  I'm sure if we allowed him to go over to the munchers, they would use that as an excuse to keep him."

 

"You really are a good dad.  I love you,"  Justin said as he bent towards Brian and gave him a full kiss on the lips.   The clock in the living room chimed 5 times.  " I guess it is time to check on our son.  He should be finished with his homework by now.  He mentioned wanting to play with Colin."

 

"Why don't you do that and I'll make a quick call to the professor.  I don't like having to show how great we are as parents, but I think he needs to know what is really going on with Gus.  He can make his own decision regarding J.R."

 

Justin gave Brian one last kiss and went to find Gus, closing the office door behind him.

Brian took out his phone again and scrolled through his contact until he found Ben's. Taking a deep breath, he returned to his office chair and then pushed the icon to make the call.  He didn't want anyone to overhear the conversation, so put his blue tooth in his ear.

 

"Brian,  hello.  Is everything okay?"

 

"Hello and yes, everything is fine."

 

"Good."

 

"Do you have a few minutes to talk?"  Brian asked, only now realizing that the Professor may be in the middle of a lecture or something. 

 

"Sure.   I don't have a class for another hour and I was just reviewing my notes.  To what do I owe your call?"

 

"I'm calling about what happened at Deb's the other night."

 

"That was nasty.  Glad you guys left.  But Brian, you don't owe me an explanation."

 

"I don't owe anybody an explanation, but this call isn't about the blow up at Deb's"  Brian said, already dreading the next part of the conversation.

 

"Brian, I'm not going to pick sides here.  I imagine that the girls had you watch Gus for a time and they didn't bother to have you bring him home on a regular basis.  I believe you when you shared your side of the story.  But why are you calling me?  I have nothing to do with Gus and I imagine you have many years experience dealing with the Novotnys."

 

"Good point, professor.  I'm not calling to rehash the blow up but I want to ask about J.R.  She's not my child, but Gus would like to see his sister and I'm not about to bring him to the munchers."

 

"I'm sure he is worried about her.  Michael was speculating about her care the other day and I suggested he go slowly. With the situation with Gus, I don't want them to get all defensive."

 

"So Michael is worried about J.R.?"

 

"Honestly, Brian I don't think he really has a clue about the little girl.  He was more reacting to your custody situation with Gus.  He seems to think if he has J.R. more, then he will get your attention and spend more time with you."

 

"So, what is his concern?"

 

"He got into his head that since you had custody of Gus, maybe he should seek custody of J.R."  Ben was sharing the conversation with Brian in hopes that he could feel him out regarding his thoughts on the matter.

 

"I take it you don't agree with his train of thought?"  Brian asked, hearing the unspoken words behind what Ben wasn't saying.  He'd always respected Ben and wanted to delve into this area more. 

 

"Brian, I don't think Michael gives a moment's thought about the little girl.  She's just another way to be like you, a father."

 

"I hear a "but" in there, Professor"

 

"I, on the other hand, do care a great deal for her.  I don't know that I'm ready to be a full time father, but I can't stand by and watch her be neglected either.  I think Michael is right to want more time with her, but not for the reasons he states. I think she is being neglected and I hate to see any child passed around when there are adults who want to provide the love and structure she needs."

 

Brian listened to Ben, only slightly surprised by the confession. "What are you saying, Ben?"

 

"I'm thinking of asking for more time with her. I think if I do this, Michael may not step up and be the father he needs to be.  I'm prepared to parent her by myself if need be."

 

"So where does that leave Michael?"  Brian didn't want to get involved in yet another relationship, as he knew Justin's feelings about Michael.   He knew that if Ben were thinking of going alone on his parental journey, there would be ramifications where Michael was concerned. He was certain that Michael would try to spend more time with him and that would not go over well with Justin.  And truth be told, he would not relish the idea of spending a lot of time with him either.  He had a busy life, between Colin, Gus, Justin and his company, Kinnetik.  He barely had time to deal with anything or anyone that wasn't directly involved in any of these endeavors.  Michael did not fit the bill for being included in his life based on this revelation.

 

"That would be up to him, Brian. We had a discussion about this issue the other night.  I will tell you it did not go well.  At this point in my life, I would rather be a father." Ben said the words out loud that he had been thinking for the last few days.  It felt good to get them off his chest, but he wondered if this was the right time to express them.

 

"I see.  Well, I'm not the best person to give you advice, nor would I attempt to do so.  You have to do what is right for you.  I will support any decision you make.  If you do have JR. more often, it would be great if we could arrange for her and Gus to get together.  He misses his sister and I'm leery of taking him to the munchers."

 

"I understand.  Well, I should be making a decision in the next day or two.  I'll let you know.  If I increase my time with J.R., we'll arrange something so Gus can see her.  He's a great kid.  You should be proud."  Ben looked at the clock on the wall and said, "Sorry to cut this short, but I have a class to teach.  I'll talk to you soon, Brian."

 

"Thanks Ben."  Brian clicked off the Bluetooth and took the device out of his ear as he reviewed the conversation in his head.  Michael wanted J.R. more so that he could have more in common with me, not out of any concern for the child.  This was like Lindsay wanting Gus as a way to keep me tied to her.  He was beginning to see some similarities to the two friends motivations and he was not happy about the realization.  True, he did not want to be a father, but once he held Gus in his arms, he couldn't see a way not to be involved in the little boy's life.  He doubted Michael had the same feeling toward J.R., at least what he had witnessed when the two of them were together.  It didn't come natural to Mikey and he didn't think it had anything to do with the fact that the child was a girl. 

 

He would have to share the conversation with Justin, but for now, he really did have a few emails and last minute things to take care of before he joined his family for the evening.  He wasn't under any illusion that the discussion with Lindsay was over or that the situation with Ben, Michael and J.R. was resolved, but for now he could only address the things that happened under his roof.  

 

TBC

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Weekend got away from me, so posting a day late.  Enjoy and comments always welcome.