- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A little view about Gus' view of the baby

 

Melanie and Lindsay sat at their kitchen table drinking coffee and reading the Sunday paper.  Brian was picking up Gus for the afternoon and would be there in a little under an hour. 

"I still can't believe that Cynthia is carrying their child.  I told him it wasn't a good time for me as I was just starting back to work, but I really think they could have waited until I was ready," Lindsay said as she tore a small piece from her bagel.

"I didn't think you wanted to be pregnant again, that's why I had Jenny Rebecca instead of you," Melanie said, the slight frown on her face.   She took a sip of her coffee and looked at her partner with a sigh. 

"Well,..." Lindsey hesitated a few moments before answering. "I thought you would want to carry a second child for us.  It would have been nice if Gus had a biological sibling."

"Linds, the baby is Justin's, not Brian's."

"I didn't know that was their plan when Brian told me.  I still think..."

"Linds, hon." Melanie reached out and put her hand on Lindsay's squeezing gently. "Something else is bothering you.  What's on your mind?"

"I'm worried about Gus. He adores Brian and I wonder if they will forget him when the new baby comes."  Lindsay said, voicing the fear that she has harbored since finding out about the baby.  

"Gus is very important to Brian and Justin.  I can't see that happening."  Melanie attempted to assure her, even though she had similar thoughts on occasion. She would literally have Brian's healthy ball if he mistreated Gus and put him second when the new baby came. 

Gus came bounding down the stairs before they could complete their conversation and they silently agreed to table it for now. 

"Mom, Mama, when is dad getting here?   We've got lots to do today and I've got my bag packed." Gus hefted his backpack on to the table, showing his mothers.   Lindsay wondered, not for the first time, how visiting with his fathers resulted in prompt fulfillment of all of his chores and being ready at least half an hour before they were to arrive.  He was never that way with them. 

"Did you pack your socks and underwear?  Your Dad and Justin may be able to offer you their shirts if you forget yours, but those they don't have," Lindsay asked, reminding him of his last overnight when he forgot those critical items.  Lindsay was appalled when he came home with 6 pair of Kids of luxury briefs.  Gus said they were just like Dad and Justin's.  She didn't want to think about that conversation. 

Gus rolled his eyes.  "Yes.  I even packed extra.  I thought I might leave a few at Dad's."

The doorbell rang and Gus raced to the door, opening it before he asked who it was.  Seeing his father, he grasped him and hugged him while yelling, "Daddy."

"Gus, we've told you many times you need to find out who is at the door before you open it." Lindsay chastised him.

"Mom...," Gus started to respond, but stopped when he looked at his father nodding his head in agreement.   "I'm all packed.  Can we go?  I know we've got a busy weekend."

"Woah buddy.  I know you are excited about the weekend, but you need to say goodbye to your Mom and Momma.  Did you remember to pack underwear and socks?"

Gus sighed heavily.  "You guys. Mom and Momma asked me the same thing.  I even brought extra to leave at your place in case I forget again."

"Good Sonny Boy.  Now tell your Mom and Momma goodbye and we'll be off."

"Bye," Gus said, the faint put upon obedient sigh evident in his tone. 

"When will you bring him back?" Lindsey asked. 

"He'll be back by 8:00 tomorrow night.  I know it's a school day on Monday.  Wouldn't want him sleeping in class," Brian said, tongue in cheek.

The two of them walked out and Gus put his bag in the back seat of the car.  Gus put on his seat belt and closed the door.

"Where we headed today?" Gus asked Brian, looking expectantly at his father.  "You said we have a lot to do.  Can we go to the store and buy me some new cleats? My old ones are getting really worn and coach said we need proper ones to play well."

"You sound like Justin with his PSA's," Brian said as he reminisced about the many times his partner spouted information at him.

"What are PSA's?"

"Public  Service Announcements.  Justin is always sharing information about a variety of topics; a regular font of information."  Brian smiled as he thought of the first one Justin ever shared; you should always use protection. 

"Ok," Gus said, thinking about the many conversations he'd had with Justin in his 10 years.  "But can we go to the store and buy some cleats?"

"Yes, we can buy you some cleats.  Justin has some canvases for you and some new paints.  I think he wants to paint some pictures on the baby's wall. Maybe you can paint a picture for the room too."  Brian opened a window to let in some fresh air.  It was not hot enough for the air condition, but it was too stuffy without some air circulating.

"That would be cool.  Do you know if the baby is a boy or girl?  I'm hoping for a boy.  I already have a sister and they are not fun." Gus looked out the window, watching several bikers ride along the bike path on the street. "How come I can't ride my bike to school?  There are paths all over.  Jimmy and Sam ride their bikes." 

"You live on a very busy street and it's not safe."

"But..." Gus said, starting to argue his point of view with his father.

"No.  End of discussion.  Now, where do you want to go for lunch:  the diner or somewhere else?"  Brian bridled as he said no to his son.  It was very rare that he refused Gus anything, but riding his bike to school was absolutely not going to happen.  He thought of his father when he said no and cringed.  He never wanted to be compared to that evil man, but he remembered his father said "No" so many times during his childhood, it was ingrained in his mind. 

"The diner.  I want a chocolate shake. Is Justin coming too?  I want to talk about the painting for the baby's room."

"Justin had a few errands to run.  I'll call him when we're done at the store and see if he's finished.  Otherwise, we'll meet him later at the house."

Brian and Gus completed their shopping and called Justin. 

"Hey," Brian said when Justin answered the phone.  "We're headed to the diner for lunch.  Can you join us?"

"Sure.  I'm finishing up at the art supply store and I'll meet you there."

"Later."

"Later."

Brian opened the trunk for Gus to deposit his cleats and new socks and then they drove to the diner.  Walking in, they moved toward the back booth which was their favorite and sat down.  Brian picked up the menu to review the selections.

"Dad, why do you look at the menu?  You practically eat here every day or so Uncle Ted says.  Grandma Debbie says that you were here every day when you were younger.  I can't remember the menu ever changing.  I know I'm only 10 but I've been reading since I was 5 and it's never changed."  Gus smiled at his father and looked toward the front door as he heard the jingle announcing a new patron and saw it was Justin.  He raised his hand to wave at Justin but knew it was unnecessary as Justin was already making his way to the familiar booth.

Justin leaned down and gave Brian a kiss in greeting and scooted next to him so he could sit opposite Gus.  Grabbing a menu, he looked over the familiar plastic coated trifold and also looked at the blackboard reading what the daily special was for today.

"I asked Dad why he looked at the menu since it hasn't changed in at least 5 years and he comes here almost daily.  Why do you look at the menu, Justin?"

"Habit.  I guess.  I never really thought about it.  When I go to a restaurant, I pick up the menu, even when I know what I want before I walk in.  I imagine it's the same for Brian."  Looking at his partner, he raised his eyebrows in question.

"I guess. Never really thought about it, Sonny Boy.  I don't expect it to be different, since like you said, it's been the same menu forever.  I don't want to think about the kitchen since it's been the same and I don't ever remember it being remodeled or updated."  Brian closed his eyes in mock horror.

Debbie came to take their order.  "Hi Gus.  Spending the day with your dads?  Pretty soon they'll be busy with the new baby and won't have time for Saturday lunch.  Better do it now,"  she said, voicing the opinion of many of their family.

Gus looked at his fathers and then at Debbie.  No one was refuting her statement and he could feel the tension in the air.

"Gus, we will always have time for you.  Don't mind Debbie; she's just playing with you," Justin said.  He placed the menu back in the slot and said, "I'll have the grilled cheese sandwich with a side of Mac and Cheese.  And a Coke."

"I'll have a cheeseburger and fries and a vanilla milkshake."  Gus grinned and said, "See, I read the menu and ordered a vanilla shake versus my typical chocolate.

"I'll have turkey on wheat toast, no mayo with a side salad."

"Dad.  You always order that.  Like I said, I don't even know why you look at the menu."

Debbie left the table and placed their orders.

"So is the new baby really going to take that much time?  Are you guys going to not want me around?"  Gus asked, the worry evident in his voice.

"Of course not, Gus.  We will always have time for you.  The new baby will be very demanding for a few months, but there are two of us and only one of you.  If we both can't come see you, then one of us will come.  Of course, you have your room at our house and you are always welcome to stay with us.  Babies sleep a lot so in the beginning, all we'll need to do is feed and change it and give it a bath," Brian said, parroting what Lindsay had told him about Gus's first few months of life.  He hadn't seen the boy much at that age, still not ready to be a part of Gus' life.  Lindsey tried to get Brian involved, even when Gus was a baby.  After a few times of watching him for the girls, he started to bond with him and then he was hooked.  Looking at the miniature version of himself, he couldn't help but love him.  These days, he couldn't imagine not having his Sonny Boy in his life. 

"I heard Mom and Momma talking.  They said you'd forget me when the baby comes?  Will you forget all about me?"

Brian pulled Gus into a hug, something that he'd grown comfortable with through the years. "I couldn't forget you.  Who would play soccer with me and who would I have weekly outings to the Lego store?  We have to build our cities after all," Brian said.

"And we paint together.  You're becoming quite the artist.  I love working with you.  You have a very critical eye and I value your input."

Gus smiled at his father's statements, but he was still worried and he thought he had a great plan.  There was no way they would forget him if he lived with them.  After all he had his own room at their house.  His dads already said he could stay with them.  It was a perfect solution.  He could be one of the guys.  The more he thought about his idea, the more he liked it.  His mothers were always after him to do his chores and to play with his sister.  If he lived with his dads, the baby would be sleeping most of the time and he would have them all to himself. 

Debbie arrived with the food.  "Eat up.  No dessert for you Gus unless you finish all your food.  And you, Sunshine, no dessert for you either." 

"Yes, Grandma Debbie.  I remember."  Gus picked up his burger and took a huge bite.

TBC