- Text Size +

 

The Move:

Justin picked up Gus the following day after school and brought him to Britin.  They ate a snack together and then he took him up to his studio to work.

 

"Gus, are you ready to help me with my paintings?"  Justin asked as he gathered the supplies needed for the project.

 

"Sure, just tell me what to do.  I can't wait to tell the kids at school that I helped you.  You are kinda famous with a lot my teachers."

 

"Famous?   Does that bother you?"  Justin had read a lot about celebrity kids and knew that some of them hated being in the spotlight.

 

"Nah.  Most of the teachers know who you are but the kids aren't really into art.  Maybe when I get older, but right now you are just Mr. Taylor, one of my dads."

 

Justin relaxed his shoulders, the tension releasing.  He remembered being introduced as Craig Taylor's boy so many times while he was growing up.  Of course, once he came out, that was a title neither he nor his father wanted bestowed on him, but when he was younger he had gotten used to people referring to his father as if he were some important person.  Maybe, he thought, in their circles, he was important, but to Justin, he was just dad and his father had a cool store with all the latest TV's and stereos.  Brian would have loved having an electronics store in the family as that would have allowed him to have all the latest equipment way before his friends did.  Even now, Brian would read about a new technology and have it ordered within a few days of its release.  They were always the first to have the latest IPhone, IPad or Mac.  These days having the latest equipment just made good business sense and it was no longer a status symbol for him or his husband.  They could afford anything they wanted but tried to keep their new purchases in line.  Those type of things no longer held the allure they once did for Brian.  He would rather spend time with his sons and partner than read about the latest tech gadget. 

 

"I'm glad it doesn't bother you that we are well known in the community."  Justin thought about Kinnetik, but then he thought about Babylon.  He wondered if their ownership of a gay nightclub would be problematic.  While Brian said that Lindsay practically handed custody of Gus to him, he thought Melanie would fight them on this and she might use Babylon against them.  He realized he would have to talk to Brian about that issue, but right now, he needed to concentrate on Gus. 

 

"You've watched me stretch my canvas before?"

 

"Well.... Sort of" Gus said, looking down at his shoes.  "Lots of times, I just play with my Star Wars figures or my Iron Man.  I like being with people.  At home...."  Gus stopped.

 

"It's okay, buddy.  You don't have to be afraid of mentioning your moms.  Your dad and I want you to be happy.  You told us you want to live here, but we don't want you to forget your moms."

 

"I don't want to go back there, Papa.  Mom and Momma don't have time for me and they think I'm a lot of trouble."

 

Justin bent down and gave Gus a hug, his heart hurting at Gus' words.

 

"You're not any trouble.  You're a little boy and you deserve to be somewhere where you don't feel like that.  We want you here."

 

"So Daddy really talked to Mom and she said I could come here every day.  And even stay the night?  I didn't dream it?"

 

"Yes, your daddy talked to your Mom and she agreed that we can take care of you."  Justin was so angry that he was even having this conversation with Gus.  No child should ever feel that they aren't wanted.  He remembered when his mom told him she was getting a divorce, and he thought about going to Dartmouth to make his father happy.  He even thought about giving up his "disgusting lifestyle" but luckily Brian had intervened. Brian had showed him that what his father was proposing wasn't love, but hate.  He, at least, had been 17 when this happened and he had the ability to understand some of what was going on.  Gus was only 10 and no 10 year old should be put in that situation.

 

Gus wrapped his arms around Justin, giving him a large hug and kissing him multiple times.  "I just kept waiting for Mom or Momma to show up at school and tell me to get in the car.  I'm so glad that you came and picked me up."

 

Justin had witnessed Mel and Lindsay in anger and could envision just this scenario.  Justin filed that information in his head for his evening talk with Brian.  Gus hit upon a very likely scenario and they wouldn't want this to actually play out.  He and Brian needed to come up with a game plan.  The last thing either of them wanted was for Mel or Lindsay to show up at school and insist on Gus going with them.  Not only would it confuse the little boy, but he thought if they took him home, it would be terrible.  He envisioned a scenario where they wouldn't allow him or Brian access to Gus and maybe even try legal means to stop them. 

 

He and Brian had taken legal steps to safeguard their relationship with Gus but the girls did not know this.  A few years back when they threatened Brian's access to Gus, he had a lawyer investigate their third party adoption and found that it was not valid.  In order for it to be valid, Brian had to have signed some key paperwork but Melanie failed to give it to him. Their lawyer discovered that there were no papers filed in the state of Pennsylvania and that legally Brian had equal custody of Gus.  When the girls backed down and allowed him access to Gus, he didn't bring up the legal findings. 

 

While Lindsay had willingly given Brian permission to take him home after school and stay the night, he doubted she had really thought the ramifications through.  He wondered how long it would take before she realized Gus wasn't there after school or in the early morning.  It was a no win scenario.  If she never realized it, it would be very sad for Gus to think his moms didn't care.  On the other hand, if they did realize it, there was bound to be arguments and accusations between his moms and Brian.  He knew they would protect Gus and he knew that he and Brian had to discuss this issue today. 

 

"Do you want to live here with Daddy and me?"  Justin asked as he laid the canvas on the table.  While Brian and Justin had discussed the issue and Gus had expressed his unhappiness with his moms, it didn't mean that he wanted to live full time with his father and Justin.

 

"Yes.  It's more fun here and like I said, you and Daddy play with me and don't yell and scream at each other all the time.  When is Daddy getting home?  He's been meeting us at the loft for dinner, but we aren't there tonight.  Will he eat dinner with us?"

 

"Daddy will be home by 7:00.  7:00 is a little late for you to eat dinner, so we'll probably eat a little early and then you can visit with Daddy while he eats his dinner.  Colin usually has a bottle about 8:30 and then he goes to sleep for the night.  He is awake for a few hours before he has to sleep so we can play with him too."

 

"I'm going to be so busy.  I'll be helping you in the studio and then I have to do my homework.  I get to play with Colin and then eat dinner and then visit with Daddy."  Gus touched a finger as he listed each of these tasks. 

 

"Woah, little guy.  There will be plenty of time for you to play too.  Homework and bath time are non-negotiable.  Soon, you will have soccer again and don't forget your art classes."  Justin smiled as he heard the enthusiasm from Gus.  "But you're getting a head of yourself.  Right now, you are helping me stretch this canvas and then you probably need to do your homework."

 

"Sounds good.  So what do I do?"

 

Justin walked him through the steps and Gus was very adept at stretching the canvas.  When he finished. Justin said, "Great job.  Now I think it's time for you to do your homework.  I have some emails I need to send to Carol and I need to look at the mail.  I'll come check on you in a little bit."

 

"Can I do my homework in here?"  Gus asked, hoping the answer would be yes.

 

"Not today, buddy.  I have some phone calls to make and I need quiet."  Seeing the crestfallen look on Gus' face, Justin was saddened at his inability to have Gus stay, but he realized that Gus would not be able to be with him every afternoon.  "Why don't you do your homework and then find Chloe and Colin.  He should be up by the time you are finished and you can play with him while I work."

 

Gus smiled at the suggestion.  "That would be cool.  I miss seeing him during the week but now that I live here I can see him any time." Gus went up to hug Justin and then raced out of the room to grab his backpack and complete his homework.

 

Justin closed the door and logged on to his computer to read his emails.  He did have some work to complete, but he really wanted to talk to Brian.  Normally he would wait to talk to him when he got home, but his conversation with Gus got him thinking that maybe they needed to have all the necessary documents at their disposal.

 

He quickly dispensed with the emails and work he needed to complete and made sure the door was firmly closed.  He hated to lock it but this time he felt that it was a good idea to lock the door just in case Gus came looking for him. After all, this was the first day that he was here at Britin with them. 

 

While he'd been at Britin on many spring breaks and during the summer, they usually had the day planned out and he was rarely left to his own devices.  Justin realized that with him living here full time, they might have to adjust Chloe's responsibilities to include watching Gus.  If he and Brian were to get any work done in the hours after school and before dinner, Gus would have to be supervised unless he was participating in an activity.  Up to this point, they only had to get him from school and to the activity and then home before bedtime. Now, he would be with them when there were no activities.  However, unlike his moms, Justin and Brian didn't see this as a burden, but rather as a normal part of childhood.  This was another thing that Brian and he needed to discuss, but that discussion could wait till the evening. Right now he needed to talk about the legal issues before Mel or Linds challenged Gus' living with them.

 

He called Cynthia, knowing she could determine when Brian would be free to talk with him.  While his call was important, it was not important enough to interrupt a presentation.

 

"Hi Justin," Cynthia said as she smiled into the phone.  Everything okay?"

 

"Good.  We're good, but I was wondering if Brian was free.  I remember he said something about a presentation this afternoon."

 

Cynthia pulled up Brian's calendar on her desktop and then looked at the time.  Her days were so busy at Kinnetik that she often lost track of time and was surprised when it would be time to leave for the night and she still had mounds of items on her to do list.  Seeing that it was 4:00 and all his conference calls were complete, she said, "He's free. Do you want me to put you through?"

 

Justin hesitated for a moment.  He wanted to ensure that he was really doing this for Gus rather than his peace of mind, but then realized that they were one in the same.  Gus' safety and peace of mind were just as important to him as they were to Gus.  "Yes."

 

"Kinney," Brian said, not looking at the caller ID as it had been transferred.

 

"Hey," Justin said.

 

Brian clicked the save icon on his computer and minimized the screen.  "Everything okay?  Is Gus okay?  Is Colin alright?"  While Justin used to come in to his office unannounced and call unexpectedly, he didn't do that very often.  A call or visit in the middle of the afternoon usually meant there was something wrong.  The hairs on Brian's neck stood up, hoping that something hadn't happened, but then his mind recognized that Justin's voice was calm and not elevated. 

 

"Everyone is fine.  I just..."

 

"Justin," Brian said, a little worried.

 

"Gus was talking this afternoon about being worried that his moms might pick him up from school.  He was really worried and was relieved to see that I was there.  It got me thinking that the girls might change their mind.  You know, realize that Linds just basically gave you custody of Gus.  I don't think she talked to Mel about it and I think Mel wouldn't like the idea.  I mean she might really be fine with it, but on principal I could see her fighting it.  And Linds...., well I think she's going to realize what she did in a few days.  I can just see it now, her showing up at school and demanding Gus get in her car.  Telling him that she really didn't mean he could live with us."  Justin's voice got higher and higher as he continued his diatribe.  Brian could hear the hitch in his voice and wished he could reach out and hold him in his arms, kiss his neck and assure him that everything would be fine.  Brian understood that Justin had worked himself into a state of worry so deep that he called him at work instead of waiting till Brian got home to discuss this.

 

"You're worried the munchers are going to change their mind."

 

"Yeah.  Aren't you?  I mean this was so easy.  I never thought Linds would just say yes so easily."

 

"I've known Linds a long time, so it wasn't that much of a surprise.  But I do understand where you are coming from.  I think I need to get the legal documents that we had drawn up a few years back.  I'll get them out of the safe and bring them home."

 

"I was hoping you would say that.  I hate to think we'll need them but I think it would be good to have them.  What should I tell Gus?"

 

"Tell him that Britin is his home for as long as he wants to live with us. "

 

"I love you, Brian."  Justin felt his shoulders lose the tension they were holding.  He seemed to relax in the chair.

 

"Love you too, Sunshine. I'll be home early tonight.  Want to make Sonny boy's first night special.  I asked Rosa to cook that Chicken Teriyaki that Gus loves so much.  No more Mac and Cheese or PBJ.  He's going to learn to eat real food."

 

"See you soon," Justin said.

 

"Later," Brian said.

 

"Later," Justin said in response.  Hanging up the phone, he understood how his partner could persuade anyone to buy anything.  Smiling, he went to the table and put away the supplies that he and Gus were using earlier. 

 

Looking at the time, he realized that it was close to 5:30 and Gus should be eating about 6:00.  He had an idea for a sketch of the two boys together and spent the next half hour roughing out the piece.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments always welcome.