- Text Size +

Chapter 5 


Molly and Seth each held one of Gus’ hands.  He was trembling. They had been waiting far longer than the doctor had said.  A nurse had come out once just to tell them it would be longer than expected but by now Gus was petrified.  


They were all so focused on the hall the doctor would come down they didn’t notice Brian and Justin walking in.  Seth noticed them first. He softly said, “Gus.” When Gus looked up he rushed to his fathers.


“Daddy!”  He threw himself into Justin’s arms and Brian wrapped his arms around both of them and kissed Gus’ head as he held them.  


Before any of them had said anything but murmur comfort Gus, Molly stood and walked up to the trio.  “Gus, the doctor is here.” Brian let go of Justin and moved so Gus was in the center of them.  


The doctor recognized the Taylor-Kinney’s. “Nice to see you, gentlemen.  I wish it was under different circumstances. Gus,” the doctor started reaching for him but realized he didn’t need any extra support right now.  “I am sorry to tell you that we couldn’t save your son. He was stillborn. We are taking care of your precious baby.” Justin wrapped his arms around Gus as the trembling grew worse.  “Your wife is in recovery. She lost a lot of blood and we gave her a transfusion. She will be sleeping until tomorrow morning for sure. And as long as she doesn’t start bleeding again, I see a full recovery.  She will need a couple weeks of complete rest and of course, her emotional recovery…. But I can see the support you have.”


“Can I see her?”  Gus asked.


In about 15 minutes she will be brought to her room.  I will have someone bring the three of you up. But Gus, she won’t know you’re there and then I suggest you go home.  Get some sleep. Eat something.” She looked at his dads and they both nodded. “If you have any questions, feel free to call me.”  


The doctor started walking away and Brian followed.  As they got out of earshot Brian asked, “Shelby, will she be able to have more children?”


“Yes, but there will be more risk than she had with her first two.  I would not say they can’t have another one but I wouldn’t want them to rush into it. She will need time to heal.”


Brian offered his hand, and the doctor shook it, “Thank you for everything. Oh, please notify me when we can have our grandson.  We will give him a proper burial or whatever they decide.” He handed her his card.


“I am sorry for the outcome but I will let you know when you can have him.”


Justin lead Gus back to a chair and sat next to him.  “Molly, go home to your kids. Who is with them?”


“Isabella was there part of the day but Tyler is home now.  Brenda is at Gus’ house. Maybe I should…”


“Dan and Marcus should be getting there about now to relieve her.  Go home, Mollusk. Thank you for staying here.” Justin stood and Molly hugged her brother. 


“I’m really sorry about the baby,” she whispered in his ear and she held her tighter as he blinked away tears.  Brian walked up and hugged her, too.


“Go hug your babies, Molly.”  Brian said, kissing her cheek and then he turned to Seth, “Seth, thanks so much for helping out the family when we needed you.  I knew when we hired you we had the right couple. Head home to your wife.”


“Glad I could help.  Please, call us if you need anything. Our spare room is yours if someone wants to rest and be close.” He glanced in Gus’ direction.


“Thank you. I doubt he will leave town while she is here so if he could grab a short night sleep close by, he might actually rest.” Brian’s attention then went back to Gus and Seth slipped out of the room.


John stopped by for a few moments.  He let them know their SUV was in the parking lot and he had put their bags in it.  He hugged Gus tightly for a moment as he offered his condolences but he didn’t stay.  He wanted to get home before it was completely dark now that the worst of the storm had passed.  He promised to send Brinn and Danny home in the morning when it was light and the roads would be safer and he was gone.


Soon a nurse came and led them to Shelby’s room.  Before entering he looked at them, “She is still completely out of it.  She is on some very strong medication for pain right now and it is just better for her to sleep then be awake right now but go give her a kiss and assure yourself she is Ok. Then, get some food and some sleep, doctor’s orders.”


Gus stood at the door, scared to go in.  Brian put his arm around his son’s waist and propelled him forward. Justin was just a step behind them. She laid in the bed very pale and still. Gus stood up straight and walked over to her.  He bent over her and kissed her cheek and then her mouth. He held her hand but there was no reaction. Justin walked up on the opposite side and brushed her hair back kissing her forehead.


“Shelby, don’t worry.  We will take care of your kids and you focus on getting your strength back.”  


Brian walked up beside Gus and stroked her cheek but didn’t say anything.  After a few minutes the nurse came back in and escorted them out of the room. The doctor said you were not to come back until tomorrow morning.  Shelby needs rest and so do you. If there is any change we will call you but she will sleep through the night I am sure.”


Brian and Justin walked to the waiting room with him.  The sun had set and it had begun to rain. 

“We are taking you out to eat something.  What would you like?” Brian asked.


“Pops, I can’t eat anything.”


“Well, you are going to.  You need to keep up your strength.  You have a wife and two children that need their daddy. So what will it be, pizza, burgers, pasta?”


“I don’t care but I don’t want to go sit in a room full of strangers.  Can we just pick something up and eat at my office?” Gus slumped as they walked out to the car someone dropped off for them.  


“Brian called and let us know you were coming.  When you are done eating with your dads, Gus, you come up to our apartment and get some sleep in the guest room.”


“Oh, I couldn’t do that. I can just sleep on my couch down here.”


“Absolutely not.  There is a big comfortable bed up there and you need some real sleep.”


“I don’t know the last time I slept alone.  It has been so long.” Justin held him close.


“Thanks, Isabella.  That is really kind of you,” Justin smiled at her.  “You and Seth are real friends.”


“I like to think we will be family.”  


“I think we already are. He will be up in a while.” 


“Dad, Taylor and Gage, I feel like I should be there but I can’t leave here.”


“After we get you fed and in bed, we will go get them and bring them to our house. They will be fine and by tomorrow you will come home to them.”


“Daddy, we lost our son.” Gus crumbled against Justin as the full weight of what had happened hit him.  What if Shelby hadn’t made it. I would never have lived with myself.”


“Gus, none of this is your fault.  This pregnancy has been shaky all along.”


“But, Dad, I made her have sex last night.  She didn’t want it but…..”


“Oh, Gus, you did not rape your wife.  You didn’t make her. There have been times when I wasn’t in the mood but I still had sex.  You know that doesn’t hurt a baby. Your other two are perfect.”


“I know, but I’m the man of the house and I am supposed to be in control but right now…..” Gus dropped his head on the back of the sofa and shut his eyes.


“Rest, Gus.  Rest until Brian gets back.”  Justin took his hand and sat silently with his son.



When Tony got back to his house, he found his daughter and the other three putting a board game away.  Jonna ran and hugged her papa. “How was your day, Bella?”


“I had a lot of fun.  Jamie sang to me and we played games.”


“Well, how would you like to help with dinner as soon as I talk to Brinn.  Your Daddy will be home in about an hour, so we can have dinner ready for him.”  Jonna kissed him and took her game back to her room. Danny and Jamie slipped out of the house and went back to the Lighthouse as Tony took Brinn to the sofa. 


“Tony, is Shelby alright?”


“Yes, Shelby made it through surgery and they think she will be fine.”


“Their baby boy?” Brinn’s eyes filled with tears as Tony shook his head. Big tears rolled down her cheeks and as she cried Tony held her and whispered in Italian.  


“John will be home in a little while.  Why don’t you stay here and have dinner with us.  John will have seen Gus. You can sleep here if you want, too.”


“I’ll eat here, but I will probably sleep at the Lighthouse.”


“Alright.  Why don’t you tell the guys they can order whatever they want for dinner.”


“Are you going to tell John what went on?”


“I am.  He’s my husband and I don’t hide anything from him but I will wait until you’re gone if you want me to.”


“No, I don’t want you to lie to him and Jonna will probably mention Jamie anyway but if he gets mad at me….I don’t know if I can handle anything else today.”


“Well, then I will tell him and I am sure he won’t be angry after I talk to him.”


“Thanks, Tony, but I’ll tell him.”  Jonna came running up excited to help Tony with dinner while Brinn just stared out the window, hoping John was there soon. 


Danny and Jamie barely made it to their room before losing their clothes. Danny laid down on the bed and propped his feet on the bed near his hips, offering himself completely to Jamie. 

Jamie leaned between Danny’s legs and brought his mouth to Danny’s.  He probed his lips apart only to find a very willing cove. Their tongues entwined and danced as Danny’s hands moved between them to find  Jamie’s erection. He slowly stroked him. Jamie’s mouth left his and worked its way down his chest. He spent time on each nipple and soon Danny was thrashing under him.


“Oh, please, Jamie.  I want you inside of me. Please, don’t go too slow.  I want to feel it. I want a little bit of pain. I want to enjoy that now that I’m not scared anymore.”


Jamie handed him a condom and Danny slipped it on him.  He had that down by now. Jamie positioned himself and added a little lube before moving in without hesitation. Danny cried out at the feeling he had now come to need.  How was he going to live without him, without this? He cried out as Jamie pounded him with more power than ever before sending him over the edge quickly. Danny clenched around Jamie’s dick over and over and soon Jamie joined him.  Jamie collapsed on top of Danny and then rolled off holding onto Danny as he did.  


“You know kid, I have been with a lot of people in my life but you are right up there.”  He kissed him.


“Jamie, can you help me buy a couple toys tonight?  They can be sent to my place but I don’t know what to get.”


“Sure, Danny.”  He reached for his phone.  He knew a message had come in while they were occupied.  Both their phones had. “Brinn said we can order whatever we want for dinner.  What are you hungry for?”


“How about we just get a couple things and share?”


“Ok, how about we order a couple burgers and a few appetizers?”


“That sounds great! You want to order and I am going to look on Amazon.”


Jamie laughed softly as he ordered dinner for them and then dropped on the sofa next to Danny.  “Now give me that computer. You don’t need a lot of things but I don’t go for using vegetables and stuff.  Let’s get you a couple good toys that can be washed in the shower or sink.” Jamie found a string of graduated beads.  They didn’t go very large but he was sure Danny would get a lot of use out of those and next he found a moderate sized vibrator for him that would play with his prostate, and then to round out the purchase, he picked a set of butt plugs from small to large but not too large.


“Don’t I need a big one?”  Danny questioned.


“Sweetheart, bigger isn’t always better.  I don’t want you to harm yourself and these will do all you might want.”


“They can do everything but kiss me like you do,” Danny  slipped onto Jamie’s lap and then pulled him over so they were laying side by side.  “Jamie, can I be honest with having you freak out?”


“Sure,” Jamie was a bit confused.


“I…. I love you. Now wait….I know you don’t love me and that’s Ok.  I love you like I love Brinn. I am glad I met you and I want to thank you for showing me what it can really be like when you are with someone who cares.”  Jamie slipped a finger inside Danny and stroked the inside of his anal canal. Danny actually made a purring noise. “You can do that to yourself. You don’t always need toys.  I should have asked if you have an allowance or...how are you paying for this? Did I spend too much?”


“No, I get a weekly allowance for chores. I have plenty.  I don’t spend much. Brinn and I hang out but that doesn’t cost anything.  Maybe sometime we can talk on the phone and we could jack off together.”


“We probably could, but you will find someone soon.  I know you are homeschooled but you meet up with some young adults with some of your college classes don’t you?  No one has approached you there?”


“A could have girls but I just am not interested in them like that but...there is one guy. I think he likes me like that but I never…..well…”


“Well, now you can get a feel for what he is interested in.  Danny just always be safe. Use condoms and if you get the feeling that something is off.  Don’t put yourself in danger ever again. You are far too special to just go with anyone.” Jamie kissed him with far more feeling than he intended. Their lips lingered on each others and then their   foreheads met as their mouths separated. Danny you are so special. Don’t let anyone tell you different.” He was about to kiss him again when there was a knock on the door.  


“Gentlemen your dinner is here,” a voice said and then they heard footsteps moving away.


“I’m going to go wash up, you set up the table,” Jamie said. He then moved and kissed Danny once more. He gently stroked Danny’s cheek before he walked away. Under his breath he said, “Damn you got under my skin, kid.”


Brinn listened to Tony and Jonna talk and laugh as they made dinner.  Jonna giggled as Tony lifted her up so she could dump vegetables into the pan.  Brinn wished she could be that age again. She really hated her life right now.  


When Brinn heard the garage door go up, she knew the time had come. How mad would John be at her?  She couldn’t handle having her John mad. As he walked in she hung out in a corner of the living room letting Jonna have her daddy first.  


“Daddy!  You’re home. I missed you!” John picked her up and hugged her tight.


“Hey, ladybug, I missed you, too.  And your brother. Where is he?”


“He is on a campout with a friend.  They were safe during the storm but he won’t be home until tomorrow.  Papa said he could.”


“I am sure he did.  You know you are almost getting too big to pick up.” He kissed her as he set her down.  “Now may I say hello to your papa?”


“I know you want to KISSSSS him.”  Jonna giggle.


“You are so right about that.”  John walked over to Tony and wrapped his arms around his waist as Tony’s arms creeped around John’s neck and they kissed.  Their lips played gently across each other. After a long and lingering contact, John took a step back. “Is Brinn at the Lighthouse?”


Tony shook his head.  “I’m right here,” Brinn said softly.  “How are Gus and Shelby?” John walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her.


“Shelby will be fine in a couple weeks.  Gus is very sad of course but he is so glad that Shelby will be alright.”


“I wanted to go home but Tony needed me to stay with Jonna and the weather was nasty.”


“Yes, it was better for you to stay here.  Is Danny still working on the project of his?  He is dedicated.”


“John, can we go somewhere so I can talk to you alone?” 


“Sure, how about coming to our bedroom?  I need to bring my bag there anyway.”


They entered the master bedroom, John stripped off his uniform jacket and started to unbutton his white button down. “So, Miss Thing what’s up?”  When she didn’t say anything for a few seconds he looked at her and realized whatever it was she felt it was serious. He walked over and sat next to her on the edge of the bed.


“John, I lied to you.  I’m sorry.”


“What did you lie to me about?”  John put an arm around her, pulling her close.


“Danny hasn’t been working on a paper all weekend.”


“He hasn’t?”  John looked at her quizzically unsure what was coming next.


“I set him up with someone so he has been having sex all weekend. Well, not ALL weekend but you know what I mean.”


John had to smirk a little.  This was his Brinn. She was helping out her friend he just hoped she did it the right way.  “Brinn, how did you find someone to spend the weekend with Danny?”


“I thought of people I knew.  I knew Lucky was not a good idea and he is a little old for Danny but then I thought of Jamie.  I know Shelby wouldn’t approve of him being around our house so I set up the weekend with our dads and then we came up here.”

“You thought of everything, didn’t you?”  John was amazed at all she set up for Danny when he knew she had a crush on him herself.  “It’s been a rough weekend for you, hasn’t it?”


Brinn buried her face on his chest and started sobbing.  John’s heart broke for her. He held her close and after a couple minutes he softly said, “Why are you crying, sweetheart?”


“There are so many things that are making my heart hurt so much.  I should have been there for Gus and Shelby. I could have watched the kids but I set up this whole scheme.”


“Taylor and Gage have been well cared for.  Brenda has been with them.”


She took a deep shuttered breath, “That’s good.  But I lied to everyone.”


“To help a friend.  I don’t think anyone will be too mad about that.  The lying might be a small issue but your dads are fair.  Is there something else?”


“I am just so confused.  I don’t know what I want to do for graduate school and I can’t relate to anyone my age except Danny and now he is going to be gone a lot more and I love him and he will now be able to find a boyfriend, and,”  she wanted to tell John about Tina but she wasn’t sure how much to say.


“You love him a little don’t you?”


“I love him a lot but a little bit in the way you mean.  I just want someone of my own.” she hesitated again.


“Brinny, I think there is something you are holding back.”


Here goes another partial lie, Brinn said to herself, “I want to see my mom. I want to talk to her at least.  She’s my mom and I know she has flaws but we all do. I NEED a mom right now.”


“Oh, Miss Thing, if I was half as smart as you, maybe I would know what to say.  But I have to agree with your dads about Tina. I know she gave birth to you but she has never been a good mom to you.”


Brinn pulled away from him and he realized he shouldn’t have said that.  “She hasn’t had a chance to be a good mom. They wouldn’t let her be around.”


“Brinny, I know you were young but you remember when she tried to take you from your dads.  If she had won, you would never have seen your dads or any of your family.”


“It isn’t fair! But my dads won’t listen to anything.”


“Would you like me to talk to them?”  John asked.


“What would you say?”


“I would just let them know how strongly you feel about it.  I can’t do anything else but I can tell them how much it is bothering you.  Honey, I understand their side as the father of Matteo but he’s a boy and that is very different.  Just know, Brinny, whether I agree with you or not, I will always be here to listen.”


Brinn held onto him for a few minutes.  “Thank you, my John. I know it is silly that I call you that. You don’t belong to me.”


“I hope I can always be your John, Miss Thing.  I love you.”


“Oh, I love you, too!” 


John eventually pulled away.  “I better get changed and ready for dinner.  Can you tell them I will be out in five minutes?”  


“Sure,” she hesitated at the door.  “Thanks, John,” and she walked out the bedroom door.



Brian arrived with dinner and the three men ate around Gus’ desk.  They spoke about their trip to Canada and about the kindness of Seth and Isabella.  When they had finished Gus looked better. The food had helped but knowing his dads were back made him feel so much better.  The nurse had called and told them Shelby was still sleeping comfortably and all her vitals were very stable now. After thanking her, Gus ended the call and looked at his dads.  


“I’m glad you’re back but I really wish you’d go home so you can be with the kids.  I know the love Marcus and Dan but they would like their papas there.”


“Of course we will, Gus,” Justin hugged his son.  “I know you’re a grown man but can I tuck you in before we go?”


“I’d like that, Dad.” Brian kissed Gus and gave him a hug and started cleaning up the food while Justin walked with Gus upstairs. He knocked on the door and Isabella opened it, welcoming them in.  Justin went with him into his bedroom and pulled the blankets back for him. He took Gus’ shirt and Gus slipped his pants and briefs off, as well as his shoes and socks. Justin laid his clothes in the chair and then as he had done so many times he pulled the blankets up around Gus’ neck and kissed him.


“Gussy, I know this isn’t easy but it will all look a little better in the morning.  We’ll let your moms know and right now we are going to get those beautiful children you have and love them up.”


“Thanks, Daddy.  I’m glad you are home.”  


“Call when you wake up or if you hear anything else.”  After another kiss, Justin stepped out of the room. After walking into the living room he thanked Seth again.


“I’m glad we can help.  He looked like he was doing better.”


“He is.  He ate and got a call saying Shelby was doing well.  We are going to get the kids now.” Justin shook Seth’s hand and left.


Isabella walked over to Seth and put her arms around him.  “I love you, Seth. I get the feeling you are glad you have a music trip scheduled.”


“You can always tell, can’t you? It’s a month away.  If everything is well with Shelby, I was thinking about asking Gus to come along.  By then he might need a break.”  


“I’ve known you a long time,” she kissed him as he pulled her against him. “It might do him good.” She tilted her face up for another kiss, “Do you think he….”


“Of course not,” he stepped away from her, “I’m going to bring him a bottle of water and see if he would like us to wash his clothes for him.”


Seth knocked softly, “Gus, may I come in?”


“Sure, Seth.” Gus was in bed partially sitting up, looking at his phone. “Thanks, again, for the room.”


“Of course, no problem.  I brought you some water and wondered if you would like us to wash your clothes so you have something clean to wear.” 


“Oh, that would be great, if it’s not too much work.”


“Of course not,” Isabella stuck her head in.  “The apartment has a great laundry.” Seth picked up the dirty clothes and noticed all his clothes was there, meaning he had to be naked in bed. Of course he wasn’t shy about his body.  His whole family was very open that way. He handed the clothes to his wife and she left with them.  


“Is there anything else I can do for you, Gus?”


“No, all the sudden I don’t seem tired.  I hope my dads have the kids by now. I miss them.”


“How old are you, Gus? I’m sorry, do you want to be left alone?”


“No, I’d like the company,” he patted the bed next to him.  Seth sat down. “I’ll be 26 in October.”


“I knew you were young.  You started your family early.”


“I fell in love and Shelly is older than me, and there was no doubt I was going to marry her but she got pregnant and we wanted to be married before the baby was born.  That’s a little old fashioned but we both decided that’s what we wanted. I love my family.” Gus slumped against Seth’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, I’m not usually such a cry baby. I just love them so much and feel like I have failed them all somehow.”


“Gus,” he put his arm around Gus’ shoulder, “I know I haven’t known you long but from everything I have seen you are a great father and husband. And you have an amazing family for support.” As he talked he felt Gus relax a bit.  “I’m going to let you sleep now. I’ll see you in the morning. If you need anything, just knock on our door.” Seth walked out the door, closing it behind him. He entered his bedroom and found Isabella laying naked on the bed soon he had gotten rid of his own clothes and he laid next to her, sliding his hand down her smooth skin and then he devoured her mouth.



Brian and Justin sent Dan and Marcus home and then took Taylor and Gage back to their house. “Papa, I want Mommy.  I not see her all day and Daddy.” Taylor’s lower lip began to quiver.”


“Come here, Sunny,” Brian picked her up.  “Do you want to sleep in the same room as Gage or do you want to sleep in Brinn’s room?”


“The pretty bed? I can sleep there?”


“Of course you can.  Just be a big girl and go to the bathroom before you climb in bed. I will bring you some water.”


“Ok, Papa.”


Justin held a sleeping Gage in his arms, “I’m going to put him in our bed.  I think he will be scared if he is the guest room alone.” Justin leaned toward Brian who kissed him and then walked away with his grandson in his arms. Soon Brian had said good night to Taylor and went into the bedroom.  


“She wants papa to kiss her goodnight. And then Papa wants to kiss Papa,” Brian pulled Justin into his arms. “Come back soon.  Let’s see if we can still be quiet when we make love.”


Justin kissed Taylor and then locked up the house and turned off the lights. “Did you get ahold of Lindsay and Mel?”


“I did. Lindz hopes to fly out tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.” Brian responded.


After getting comfortable, Justin and Brian spooned in bed as Brian moved in and out of Justin, slowly and deliberately, as he nibbled on Justin’s neck.  Silently, both men climaxed and then they both cried silently for the baby that was lost. Brian held onto Justin who pulled Gage close and they slept.



After Brinn had eaten at Tony and John’s, John walked her back to the Lighthouse.  “Brinny, if you need to talk, any time, just call me. I know I don’t understand everything you’re going through but I’m a good listener and I love you so I will only tell you things I think are good for you.”


“Thanks, John.  I love you, too.  I think we will be leaving early in the morning so I probably won’t see you.  I want to get home to Gus.”


“Well, tell Danny to drive safe and let me know when you make it home.”


“Thank for keeping our secret, too.  I am sure we will tell them soon but we might need a day or two.”  John made sure she was in the building and the door was closed to everyone else before he jogged to the main hotel just to check on staff before going home to be with his husband.



Brinn went up to the suite Danny and Jamie were in.  She didn’t know what she would interrupt but she didn’t want to be alone.  She let herself in without knocking. She found them together on the sofa. “Tia, come join us.” Danny said, moving closer to Jamie so there was room for her.


“Actually, I am kind of tired.  I’m going back downstairs but I wanted to say goodnight and ask if we can be ready to go early in the morning.  I want to get home.”


“How about if we leave about 6:30.  That will get us home by 8:00,” Danny walked up to her and hugged her.  “You sure you don’t want to stay here with us?”


“No, you two enjoy yourself.  I’m tired.” Brinn stepped out and shut the door behind her.


Brinn looked at her phone as she walked down the stairs.  Her dads both had texted her assuring her everything was alright and that they were at home with the kids.  


Next she got her computer out and saw that her mother had emailed four times.  Most of it was just rambling about what she had been doing and about her other two children.  They were living with their father and she got to see them every two weeks. She sent pictures of them.  They were very cute. She wanted to meet them. She wanted to spend time with her mom. Maybe she would go to her moms instead of school this fall.  


Brinn emailed her back and said she should be able to get a burner phone in the next couple of days and then they could call each other.  After she had responded to all of Tina’s questions, she closed the computer and went to bed.


Danny and Jamie made love and then fell asleep but Danny woke up around 5:00 and ran a hand down Jamie’s great body. He followed his hand with his mouth.  He gave each of Jamie’s nipples attention. He licked and nipped as his hand rested on his cock. As he continued to torment the other nipple Jamie groaned and came to full attention.  Danny began to slide his hand up and down along the shaft until Jamie took charge. He flipped Danny on his back and then, propped Danny’s legs on his shoulders. After slipping the condom on he entered Danny and then leaned over him kissing him.  Danny was young and flexible and Jamie pressed him to his limit as he drove in with all of his force. He watched Danny’s face for panic but there was none. Soon Danny had cum between them and Jamie slid over it as he continued to fight to keep control. But when he came, he cried out and then collapsed on top of him. 


After they had laid like that for a couple of minutes, Jamie rolled off of Danny and stared at the ceiling.  “I guess we should shower. We need to be out of here in about 45 minutes.”


30 minutes later they exited the shower after Danny had donned a condom and had Jamie one last time. When they had dressed and packed they went out to the main room and found Brinn pulling food out of the fridge.  She had placed cheese and crackers, bread as well as some fruit and some bottled water. “Not really breakfast but we should be able to find enough to eat here.”


Jamie and Danny each went to opposite sides of Brinn and kissed her at the same time.  “You know if you decide not to go to school you could open a matching making service,” Danny said. “Jamie was the perfect mentor for me. You have saved me.”


“I’m so glad for you but promise me you will always be my best friend, Danny.”  Danny looked at her and could see something was bothering her but figured they could talk about it on the way home.


“Brinn, if you have a chance, tell your brother I am sorry for his loss.  I know Shelby wouldn’t want to hear anything from me but I am glad he is happy in his marriage but I am sad he is hurting right now.”


“I will tell him if I find the right chance,” she hugged him, “Thank you for agreeing to this weekend.”


“Brinn, I had a weekend of amazing sex with a very sweet guy, I may look up again once he is of age,” Jamie smiled at her.  “Well, let’s head out, if you are both ready.” They had all been munching as they talked. They put the remainder of the food in Brinn’s backpack and took it with them, along with some bottled water. 


As they left, Jamie didn’t hide.  Danny drove them back to the hotel where Jamie’s car was parked.   They all got out and Brinn hugged him goodbye. She patted Danny and got back into the SUV.  She focused on her phone but had to look up as Jamie and Danny kissed. It was long and loving.  All she could think was she hoped Danny hadn’t fallen in love but could understand if he did. Jamie walked around and opened the driver’s door as Danny climbed in and then they were on the road.


After they had gone a few miles in silence, Brinn looked over at Danny.  “Danny, are you glad we came this weekend?”


“Oh, Tia, how can you even ask that?  I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I’m not scared of sex anymore. I won’t just jump into it but I know if I find someone, sex is fun and can be very safe.   Are you alright? You haven’t mentioned your mom again. Did you get any more messages from her?”


“I did!  That reminds me, I need to buy a burner phone.  I have her number but I know my dads can trace my phone.  I need to talk to her. I want to see my mom. If I tell you something will you promise not to tell anyone?”


“As long as it isn’t dangerous.”


“I am thinking about going to live with her this fall. I can’t decide what kind of school to go to so maybe I’ll get to know her and think it through there.”


“But, Tia, that means you would leave me. What will I do without you around?”


“Danny, you are almost through high school and are already taking college courses.  And I am sure you will now be dating more. You told me there was a guy in one of your classes, just promise you won’t get reckless.”


“I know all about safe sex, Tia.”


“So can we stop and pick up a burner phone and….I hate to ask, how much cash do you have?


“Cash?”


“I can’t use my debit card.  It would tell my dads I bought a phone.”


“I think I have about $80.  My dads wanted to make sure I had some cash in case I needed it for something on the road.  There is a town coming up. It is only a couple miles off the road. We should be able to find a phone there.”


“Great!  Thanks, Danny.”


Brinn found a phone that should work fine and between the cash she had and using a little of Danny’s she could buy it with no ability to track the purchase.  Danny had used his GPS and he found a back road that would meet up with the road they needed further down rather than going back to the road they came off of.


As Danny drove down the strange road.  They noticed some debris on the road. The storm must have had more wind through here.  There were a few small branches and lots of leaves but the road was never blocked. As Danny drove up a steeper hill Brinn noticed some tire tracks that appeared to go over the side of the road.


“Danny, pull over.” 


“What?” Why?”


“I think somebody went over the edge here!  STOP!”


Danny edged the vehicle so they weren’t in the middle of the road and stopped, putting on the parking brake He moved to the steep drop off and tried to look down.  He thought he could see something. He knew Brinn was coming up behind him.  


“Tia, stay back.  This edge isn’t too stable.  Open up the back. There should be a bunch of rope back there.  See if you can find it. Danny laid on his stomach and moved a little further so he could peer over   and then he saw it. There was definitely a car down there. He could see the back portion of it.  


“I found it, Danny.”


“Pull out your phone and take down this license plate.”  He told her the letters and numbers and she saved them. “Call 911. I can’t tell if there is anyone in there but…….” He stopped talking and listened.  “I think I hear something.” He got up and ran back to where Brinn was standing. He took the coil of rope and tied one end to the hitch that was on the SUV.   He pulled and hoped it would stay tied. “Brinn keep an eye on that knot. Let me know if it looks like it is loosening.”


“Danny, what are you doing?”


‘I need to see if someone is alive down there.  I could get down there without the rope if is wasn’t so slick and muddy. Just watch the rope.”


Danny began the descent, half sliding, half climbing.   Brinn Watched the rope as it went from slack to taut.  


“Danny, are you Ok?”


“Ya, I’m getting close.  Brinn come a little closer to the edge but stay safe.”  He paused for a moment, “Can you hear me?”


“Yes, Danny.”  


“I am letting go of the rope.  It is flatter here. I just remembered something.  Check under the driver’s seat. Dan sometimes has a satellite phone under the seat.  If it is there I am sure you can get it to work and call 911 and maybe one of your dads or Dan.” There was another pause.


“Danny?”


“Brinn, there’s a baby in this car and it’s alive!”


“OH, NO!  Are the parents there?”


“Ya, make the call.  I’m checking if they are alive.”


Brinn rushed to the SUV and found a pouch under the seat as Danny said.  She quickly read through the instructions and soon she had it working. She called 911 and explained as best she could where they were and then realized the phone had their exact location so gave the dispatcher their location with latitude and longitude.  She hung up and jumped when the phone rang.


“Hello?”


“Brinn, this is Dan.  Is something wrong? That phone lets me know when it is used.”


“Oh, Dan, we are fine but we found a car that had crashed.  Danny is down there checking but our phones didn’t work. Police are on the way now.”


“I’m out the door.  You two stay exactly where you are.  I should be there in less than an hour.  If you need to go somewhere let me know where to find you.”


“Dan, will you call my dads?”


“Of course!  On my way.”


Dan called Brian as he pulled out of his driveway and by the time he got to the vineyard, Brian was kissing Justin and his grandkids before walking out to the SUV.  Dan opened his window. “The kids are fine, Justin. Marcus will be by in a little bit just to see if he can help you out in anyway.”


“Thanks, Dan. I’m fine right now but hope to go to Gus a little later.”


“Red will be here.”


“I’ll call you as soon as I know what happened.  Love you, Sunshine.”


“Love you, too, Brian.”



“Brinn, can you throw down a blanket?  There is one in the back.”


“Are the parents alive?”


“The man is definitely dead.  The mom seems to have a slight pulse.  I don’t know what to do but I thought a blanket would keep her warm at least.”


Brinn threw the blanket and after Danny covered her he realized Brinn was coming down.


“Brinn, what are you doing?”


“Danny, I have had first aid and have, at least,  anatomy training.” Brinn managed to make it down to the crash. She could see Danny had covered the baby to keep warm and then she walked around to the passenger side.  There was lots of blood but she avoided looking at that and focused on the person. She definitely had a slight pulse but it was very weak. “I wish we could move her but I know that wouldn’t be a good idea.”


“Han….Han….,” the woman whispered.  “Baby…”


Brinn couldn’t believe this woman was talking.  Her head was split open and she was bleeding from her abdomen.


“Oh, your baby is fine. She stayed safe in her seat.”


“Mike…” she barely got the word out.  


Brinn figured she was asking about her husband.  “The ambulance will be here in a couple minutes. Don’t talk. Help is on its way.”


Brinn turned and Danny pulled her close for just a second. “Is the baby  bleeding?”


“No, she seems perfect. I put her pacifier in her mouth and she has been quiet ever since.”


“Poor little thing.”


There was noise above them and they saw a fireman looking over. “Hello, are there survivors?”


Danny called back, “Yes, the mother and a baby.  How old is the baby, Brinn?


She looked up the hill.  “I think the baby is about eight months old. The woman’s pulse is very weak and she is starting to have trouble breathing.  I want to move her so she can breathe better.”  


“Don’t,” by now firemen were using Danny’s rope to scale down to the crash while another rope lowered a backboard with supplies on it.  


When the firemen arrived, the lead looked around, “You two have done all this? What are your names.”


A paramedic was already by the woman’s side and another was with the baby.  As soon as it was obvious the baby was fine she went around to help with the woman.


“I’m Danny and this is Tia Brinn Taylor-Kinney.”  Danny used her full name. The Taylor-Kinney name was well known in the area and Danny saw a note of recognition as he said it.


“What were you two doing out here so early?”  


“We had spent the weekend at my family’s hotel, the Lighthouse, with my cousins and now we were heading home.” Brinn stated.  The baby started crying and Brinn looked at the fireman, “Can I pick up the baby? I am thinking she’s a girl by her clothes but she has to be scared and she may need her diaper changed.  


The police had arrived sometime earlier and the patrolman looked at the paramedic who nodded. “Do you know how to handle a baby?” he wasn’t sure how old she was.


Brinn respectfully responded, “Yes sir, I have a niece and nephew I have taken care of for the last four years.”  She did not wait for his Ok, she gently lifted the little girl out of the carseat. She started cooing to her. “Danny, can you spread out the blanket on the ground and then see if you can find a diaper bag?”


Danny instantly responded and as Brinn gently laid her down  while Danny brought back a diaper bag. The fireman was astounded at how level headed these teenagers were.  He watched as the diaper was changed and how the girl then found a bottle with formula mix and some bottled water to mix with it.  She then proceeded to sit on the blanket and feed the child whose father was dead and whose mother was being lifted out of the valley right now.  


“Junior!”  “Brinn!”


Danny and Brinn heard their fathers calling from above.


“We’re here, Dan,” Danny called up the hill.


“Can you climb out of here by yourself, Danny?”


“I’m sure I can but what about Brinn.  She won’t leave that baby.”


“I’ve been thinking about that.  Brinn, would you be willing to lay on one of the stretchers with the baby and let my men carry you out?”


“Yes, that should work.  You know you can have us pulled out with some guidance from down here, using our rope. It can be looped through the cage.”


By now the fireman was smiling a bit.  “That is exactly what I was planning. How old are you?”


“I’m 14, but I have three college degrees and will be going on for my master’s soon.”


“Of course you do,” he didn’t sound condescending but instead a bit amazed.


Danny scampered up the hill and into Dan’s arms. 


“Is Brinn alright?”  Brian asked concerned.


“She is.  There was a baby in the car and Brinn is taking care of her.  They are bringing her up on the stretcher with the baby, just so the baby would be calm.”


Dan looked at his son, “What are you doing on this road? This isn’t your normal way home.”


“Um, we decided we wanted something to eat and then GPS suggested this road.  I guess we were supposed to find them. The man is dead. His head was pretty messed up.  The woman was still alive but she kept trying to talk to us.” Danny had started to mumble a bit as he talked faster and faster. Dan realized he might be realizing what he had seen.  Dan held him tight.  


“It sounds like you have done a great job here.”Why don’t you go sit down in the SUV.  Brinn and the baby will be up in a minute and sit with you.” Danny didn’t argue as Dan led him over.


Brian continued to look at the slope until he saw the stretcher come to the top.  There was Brinn laying down with a baby lying next to her in her arms. Brian reached down and took the baby from her and then, when she stood up, he hugged her with the arm.  “You alright, Brinny?”


“I’m fine, Dad.  This is Hannah Glenn. It said so in the diaper bag. Her mom isn’t good.  She had lost too much blood and I think she was bleeding internally.”


“She is on her way to the hospital but my paramedics said just what you did,” the fire captain said. “We are bringing up the car seat now.  We are trying to figure out what to do with Hannah. She needs to be checked over by a doctor and then we will need to find a relative.”


Dan walked up as the captain spoke. “Sir, my husband and I have our foster parents license.  Danny has been living with us for about four years.. We would be glad to take her until family arrives.”  For the first time Dan looked over at the baby and saw her sparkling blue eyes and red hair. She could be Marcus’.  She was so beautiful.


“Are you able to follow us to the local hospital?  By the time the doctor looks her over, I should be able to talk to social services.”


“Yes, we can.  Brian you can take one of the vehicles home.  Danny can decide if he wants to stay with me or go home with you.”


“Brinn, do you want to stay with Hannah or go home to see Gus and Shelby?”


“I need to see Gus.  Dan and Danny will take good care of Hannah.”


Brian turned to the patrolman, “Sir, I am taking my daughter home.  Dan can give you any information about us you might need. We had a death in the family and that is why the kids were coming home so early.”


“Mr. Kinney, that should be fine.  I hope you know how amazing your daughter is.  She took charge along with the young man. They knew what to do and not do with the mother and the baby.  I will be in touch and I am sorry for your loss.”


Brinn waved at Danny as Brian and Brinn drove away in the vehicle Danny and Brinn had been in.  “Sweetheart, you probably saw some unpleasant things down there.” Brian wondered if she realized she had blood on her clothes.


“I’m fine, Daddy. I just wish I felt better about the mom.  A baby needs her mom. I…..he was dead but she….she talked to me.  She….”


Brian quickly found a place to pull over as Brinn slowly had a meltdown.  He walked around and opened the door and wrapped his arms around Brinn as she shook and cried.  All of the sudden, she started pulling at her shirt. “I need to get this off. I can’t wear her blood.  I need to get rid of this! I don’t want to ever wear this again!”


“Ok, Brinn, let me help you.  Calm down and let me help you.” Brian helped her pull off her shirt and then grabbed one of the bags from the backseat, unzipped it and pulled out a T-shirt out of it.  As he did so he saw a condom fall out. He realized this was Danny’s bag. His brain went into overdrive but right now he needed to calm her, not question her. Brinn stood there with just her bra on and her arms crossed across her chest. Brian pulled the shirt over her head and she put her arms through and then grasped onto her dad and she cried.


As she calmed a bit she said, “What will happen to Hannah?”


“Well, if she has family locally, she will probably go home with them but if no one lives around here I think she will be going home with Dan and Danny.  They are licensed foster parents.”


“I’m fine now, Daddy, I want to get home and see Gus.”



Dan and Danny were waiting at the hospital while Hannah was examined.  “Dan, don’t you think you should call Marcus and let him know we might be bringing home a baby?”


“Yes, Danny, I think I better.  Did you notice how much…..”


“Hannah looks like Marcus?” Danny finished Dan’s sentence. “Do you think we might be able to keep her?”


“Don’t even put that idea into his head.” Dan stated as his mind went to his husband and wondered if he had made the right decision. What if Marcus got attached before she was taken back.